February Low Income Mama Support Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 254 Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning mamas.

I'm not quite so cheery as I was the other morning but at least I can log in today! I've been having lots of problems that might have been related to my computer being especially slow, or to MDC, and I'm not sure which. It was frustrating though!

Sorry for the mamas dealing with the gross body fluids. BTDT with stomach flu several times this winter.

Ediesmom, it was naturalmama I think who asked about the legalities. I'm blissfully ignorant about such things but imagine that as long as you are declaring your taxes you are okay, unless you are planning to deal with foods, then I think it becomes a minefield. Did you drop your Art Class? I'm sorry you are still having such rotten weather. I was dreaming about a little house on the coast last night! It was a beautifully quirky little place and I so wanted to live there!

Aura_Kitten, somewhere on MDC is a sticky about threadworm. Unfortunately I know a lot about this subject : and there are two ways to approach it. The natural way, or the pharmaceutical way. I'm still struggling to rid our family of them completely the natural way, and it's hard work! Either I'm missing something or we keep getting reinfected somewhere. Feel free to pm if you want more info. Good choice with the beds too, although I know how hard it is to be without a car. If only the transit infrastructure were better!

Gotta go get kids ready for school!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 254 Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM

: <--- (how I'm feeling today)

I HATE getting up early... especially now since my dd is STILL sick... STILL not well enough to come to school / daycare so I can go to work... STILL not OK enough to go for the morning walk with my ds.... so I have to get up, get my ds ready so he can go to school with the neighbor (thank God the neighbors can take him )... and then ... I'm awake. Blegggh man it's just one of those mornings.

mommaearthical I will most definitely PM you... I had a case of what seemed to be intestinal worms I high school and dealt with it with pure garlic. Not that my dd would do that... or even that I knew for sure what it was then but, it seemed to cure my symptoms. 1 clove of straight raw garlic by mouth three times a day. : It's also what got me to love garlic.

justmama ~ no I didn't see it (we don't have TV ~ no antenna reception and no cable) but it sounds awesome. Have you read the book "Affluenza"? It sounds like that...

Belleweather ~ good luck with medicaid ... the system sucks royally. I still owe lots of thousands of dollars for the year I spent without it because they refused to cover me... then even after I appealed they wouldn't reimburse the costs. I recommend documenting everything ~ keep a running file of all the bills and everything medicaid has sent you and copies of everything, and although it's a hassle, try to do everything by letter rather than phone, because phone will get you nowhere and it leaves no record when you're done.

Everyone ~~ thanks for the support ... now I just have to get kids rooms clean...

Oh one happy thing ~~ I colored my hair yesterday. I was feeling gorgeous last night but man this morning I feel so grimy.

going back to hiding under a rock,

AK
#243 of 254 Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Where is everyone? It's so quiet. Is everyone except me having trouble logging in? Or does everyone else have a life?

Ah the server is too busy. Try again later.
#244 of 254 Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM

Yes! DD just fell asleep. I am soooo glad. I am coming down with something, apparently and have felt so light-headed and achy all day. I called her father to see if he could watch her and when he told me he had to work late, I started crying. But, now I am laying in bed with dd sound asleep next to me, eating some girl scout cookies that my mother bought me.

Nothing much going on but school work here.

I am amazed at how slow this thread is this month.

Of course, hugs and support to all.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#245 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 AM

Crap crap crap. My parents and grandmother gave us a couple hundred dollars this month, so we thought that we could just squeak by and pay our bills. Now today I found out that welfare is giving us for March $300 less than we expected. I am not complaining, I am grateful that we're getting help from them at all, but holy crap! What are we going to do now. As long as we totally scrimp on groceries we will be able to pay our rent, but will have nothing for utilities when the bill comes at the beginning of the month. There is no way I can ask my parents for more money, and we have already sold all our valuables except for my engagement ring (which is not worth much anyway).

My dh had a job interview with Home Depot a full month ago, and they still haven't made a decision! Argh! I can't stand this stress anymore! I don't mind having "lean" times or living frugally, but not being able to pay for electricity is not something I can deal with! I don't know what we're going to do, I guess we'll have to put off the bill until we get our tax refund sometime in March, although that was slated for credit card bills that are past due...

Dh also has to renew his driver's license soon, and he wants to go back to school this fall so we have to come up with an application fee...I REALLY hope he gets that job at Home Depot!! It might not be a high paying job, but any job at all right now would be worth gold to us...things are so very bad in our city, jobs are so scarce, all the plants are shutting down one after another...

Now, after all that whining I will list things I am thankful for:
1. My grandmother, who is a good friend to me. She just turned 90!
2. I am in my second trimester and I feel a zillion times better than I did for the first, when I was super tired and depressed.
3. We are going to take the kids to a petting farm tomorrow, they'll have fun.
4. I'm thankful that I at least have a part-time job that I can do from home to make a little grocery money. Without that we'd really be up the creek!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#246 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 AM

Yikes, forgot to post gratefuls:
- my boyfriend, who offered to bring me soup to help me feel better
- dd falling asleep early
- only a bit behind in schoolwork right now
- it's almost Saturday and I have fun plans

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#247 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
i'll be gone a while until i feel better. i caught sara's virus:and grace is hitting a growth spurt and is nursing every hour or more so i am wiped out. being sick, barfing everything i eat and nursing constantly have taken their toll on me.just need a day or two to lay on the couch.

nak

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#248 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

good morning, mamas!

it is SOOOOooooo cold here this morning! i turn all the heat down to 54* at night, which is normally chilly, but fine. this morning its only 0* out, and the 54 isn't cutting it. at. all! :

i droppped the art class i wish i had been confident enough, but the professor was really difficult to deal with (adhd, big time) and was having us do stuff that we (i) really could do. a fundamental drawing class should start with the fundamentals...ya!

tax money is in today.......but it ALL goes to bills. and then isn't enough to catch me up. i have to get sewing. i need some flannel. big time. this first round i think i'll go to jo-ann, but after that there is a fun local shop that i'll give my business too.

we need to design a 'tag' and get stuff printed.

a huge storm is expected here tonight and tomorrow. really, we have had more snow this year than the last three put together. i'm so sick of it.

my gratitudes
1. edie....i think she is starting to see that good food=good health
2. that the elec and gas can't get shut off until april
3. watched beowulf last night.....it was so good, and i'm grateful for the tv that was freecycled to me......its huge and really high quality....so the movie looked amazing.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#249 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Hey mama's I've been MIA thanks to pc issues in addition to the normal issues with even getting in to threads here. After getting a regional manager involved we are finally getting somewhere with having our pc issues resolved so I'll hold off on telling exactly how badly we were treated by a major rent to own chain until I see how they resolve this. Suffice it to say our nice monitor is not here, but dh was lucky enough to find a decent monitor at Goodwill for only $5 which we could squeak in to our budget this week so I am back online. I am not going to be posting much for a little bit though as I am on antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection and can't really think straight through them. I've had to turn over all handling of the monitor issue to dh as I can't really get a thought straight to talk to on the phone. I had a checkup on Wednesday when I got the antibiotics and everything else is going good. My blood pressure is still lower then it's been so that's a very good thing!

I finally got around to sorting out baby clothes last weekend and things are looking good. I still need to get some things, mostly shorts, for the little one. I think I'll see if I can find some recieving blankets as well as ds has recently become very attached to the ones we used with him. I still need to look at Goodwill and other thrift stores for a baby bath tub. The only ones I can find in stores are $20 and up which I can't see paying for something that will probably be used for 6 months. We also still have to get ds a new car seat so the one he is in can be passed down to the baby. At this point things are looking good that he will actually stay put until at least close to his edd as it's not that far off now so we should be able to get this all cared for in time.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#250 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Good morning everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Yikes, forgot to post gratefuls:
- it's almost Saturday and I have fun plans
Cool...care to share your plans with us, so we can live vicariously through you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
i'll be gone a while until i feel better. i caught sara's virus:and grace is hitting a growth spurt and is nursing every hour or more so i am wiped out. being sick, barfing everything i eat and nursing constantly have taken their toll on me.just need a day or two to lay on the couch.
Aw, I hope you feel better soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
tax money is in today.......but it ALL goes to bills. and then isn't enough to catch me up. i have to get sewing. i need some flannel. big time. this first round i think i'll go to jo-ann, but after that there is a fun local shop that i'll give my business too.

a huge storm is expected here tonight and tomorrow. really, we have had more snow this year than the last three put together. i'm so sick of it.
What is it that you sew? I so wish I could sew! Last time I tried to thread my machine I almost burst into tears...my grandmother is one of those pros who can take apart a jacket and turn it into a baby dress or something crazy like that, but I guess it doesn't run in the genes...

We are getting lots of snow here too, it's disappointing because we were going to take the kids out to a petting farm today but I think we'll have to wait, I don't want to be driving on country roads in a snowstorm with our front wheel drive car if I can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I still need to look at Goodwill and other thrift stores for a baby bath tub. The only ones I can find in stores are $20 and up which I can't see paying for something that will probably be used for 6 months.
Good luck with that! Have you tried Freecycle? I agree that it's not useful to spend a lot of money on a baby bathtub...with my kids I don't think I used it for more than about 4 months before they got too big and graduated to the kitchen sink.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#251 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Cool...care to share your plans with us, so we can live vicariously through you?
Sure! I am going to the university with a couple of friends to see a production of "Taming of the Shrew". I haven't seen a play in years, but I use to be really active in community theatre, so I am really excited. Also, the friends I'm going with are awesome and I don't see them nearly enough.

#252 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
3. watched beowulf last night.....it was so good, and i'm grateful for the tv that was freecycled to me......its huge and really high quality....so the movie looked amazing.
OMG. Beowulf is out? *sends DH to the video store immediately* I was so upset to have missed that one in the theaters, and I love Neil Gaiman's writing to bits. (Oh, he's releasing the e-book of one of his Novels, "American Gods" for free on the internet as a happy blogiversary present... you should check it out, it's excellent) Yay! That will give us something happy to do tonight! Not quite as fun as Taming of the Shrew, though.

This is my last day of maternity leave, I have to go back to work on Monday. It sucks. I hate it. But I make 100% of the family income, so I don't have a choice. I'm hoping and praying I can pump enough for Rhysie and that the Domperidone I ordered shows up and I didn't get scammed.

I had a long and tense chat with DH about how I hate that I'm always the one working and he gets to stay home with the kids (and even spent one summer staying home playing Warcraft while we paid for E to be in daycare ), the end result was him being more depressed and not getting a job -- although, he kind of has a point, seeing as he'll be starting back to school in May and would need to find something part time and flexible. But between his not working and my making contributions to my daycare flex account and 401(k), we're going to be down about $1000 a month in income from where we were pre-baby, and things are going to get tight again. I need to do another budget, but I'm almost too scared to face it.

I applied to three community gardens for the summer growing season, and I'm waiting to hear back. Plot rental would be like $15-30, and they provide everything -- seeds, tools, compost, mulch and water. It would be awesome for our family, so :

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#253 of 254 Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

belle....i'll check out the novel... the movie was amazing....not as good as the book, of course

i'm sorry you have to go back to work...so sorry and i will be hoping and praying that your dom makes it

AND....i need to start my 'squeaky wheel' routine for my plot, too.....you'd think 'elected community official' would equal'top of garden plot list' no respect

my celiac symptoms are joint pain+....and i got 'glutened' the other night (stoopid mistake) and today i can barely walk ....

one gratitude for the day can be ....... my celiac dx, because for years i just thought i had horrible arthritis, now i know i can live pain free if i just stay away from gluten.

i was actually trying to be frugal and bought premade meatballs, not even thinking of their ingredients.....duh!

i have to read a novel this weekend....at least my professor emailed a warning about an exam on monday. and the novel is right up my alley so it shouldn't be too torturous

and i emailed another professor about a local politics irl issue i have....he's political science so i was hoping he would be able to help....he's totally embedded in the level of local government that i need to access to get a project done. and he is SFH (so fricken HOT!) so working with him would be ummmm, nice!

have fun Lanky! i love theatre.........(musicals mostly)

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#254 of 254 Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Anyone else happy February is over?
Although it wasn't too bad (better than December AND January anyway)
Gotta go see you all in March!
__________________________________________________ ______________
happy mama to 4 great kids dd1 age 15 ds1 age 14 ds2 age 11 and dd2 age 4.
they are my sunshines

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page