easy way to start an emergency fund - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read this in Backwoods Home magazine and have just started implementing it last week. We live on cash only so it's really great for those that do. Basically, whenever I make a transaction, I save ALL my change and ALL my 1's. Meaning, I only use 5's and up to pay for anything. At the end of the day the 1's go into an envelope and the change goes into a jar. I've been doing this for only one week and already I've managed to squirrel away $25 in 1's and easily $5 + worth of change. It was painless, it was effortless and Lord knows I would have just wasted it on junk thinking I had a few extra dollars to kill. It's really great, especially for me because I really can't spare much extra money, but this took NO thinking.

Also, the magazine suggested doing the same with 5's or 10's when you want to save up for something. I think I will try that as soon as our CC debt is paid off.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
That's an excellent idea! We are going to set aside $1000 of our tax return to jump start an emergency fund but I will definitely implement this too. It won't hurt to have small bills and change on hand if the power is out or there is some disruption of 'the system', yk?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cash!! Every payday I pay myself (my envelopes- actually a coupon organizer) and it's soo much easier and when the $$ has to leave your fingertips you "feel" it more...

I don't save my dollar bills when they're change, but all the coins get put aside!!

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!

User Tag List