We bought half a cow! What to do with the organ meat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got liver, kidneys, heart, and tongue. Also a huge assortment of bones, including the expected cuts of legbone etc, and something that looks like shoulder blades.

If I can't figure out anything that would benefit my family, I will give them to my friend for her dogs. But I imagine there might be something healthy/good to do with them that would be worth trying. I have a house full of picky eaters but I am determined to get our money's worth out of this thing. It was organic, free-range, well-loved, and...well, it certainly felt expensive though the per-pound price was quite reasonable.

Does anyone have experience with cooking these kinds of things in any sort of delicious form? Or any health reason NOT to eat these organs? I once had liver and Did Not Like It. I have heard that liver and kidneys are the toxin filtration centers of the body and shouldn't be eaten in large quantities, but should they be avoided altogether?

I feel like this is an adventure of sorts. I hate to reject good meat, if it really is good...

????

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 PM

You should post this question in the nutrition forum. I bet they will have lots of ideas!

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM

I did a quarter of a beef meaning a side of a side with another mdc mama who I met thru here and now know IRL. She took the liver and tongue etc. Actually, Em if reading this, you forgot it the last visit...trust me its still there!

OTH, If you lived near by, you could unload the bones on me. Stock baby!! I havent used mine yet becasue I am still using the last vat of stock I made. Once you make your own stock you can never buy it again.

I have an arm roast. I am roasting it in the oven tomorrow for roast beef and we will slice it for sandwiches. I think its part of the chuck but not so sure.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM

Beef tongue is yummy! My mom used to make it all the time when I was a kid. (Tongue was available in the supermarket then.) It is easy to cook, too. You just simmer it for a few hours with onions, peel off the skin and eat. It is almost all lean meat, so don't waste it!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 PM

The heart, kidneys and liver can be chopped up, dredged in seasoned flour, and sauteed. They can be seasoned, oiled and broiled; grilled on a skewer; braised.

The tongue must be boiled for a very, very, very long time. Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, and cook for about 3 or 4 hours. Slice down the center, peel the skin off and slice. Chuck it in the fridge for tongue sandwiches.

Bones can be boiled for stock. The gelatin in the bones will be rendered and the stock makes a great thickening agent in soups and stews.

HTH. I hate to see these parts go to waste.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM

No ideas -- I always tell them to keep those parts.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM

The organ meats can be used to make sausage.

As an example, here's a liver sausage recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/195433

The bones I'd roast up and make a LOT of beef stock!
http://www.recipezaar.com/23285
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i give mine to homeschoolers for dissecting.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 AM

Great idea, curious!

Definitely use the bones for STOCK! Yum. As for the organ meats, ugh I can't eat them. We got a tongue with our half-cow (also lovingly raised and drug free) and I can't bear to even unwrap it, lol.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

User Tag List