Wait until old lights burn out b4 replacing them with compacts??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Obviously I know the compact lightbulbs save money on the electric bill. I have ONE currently in a lamp that we don't use that often. I have planned for a while now to buy more of them as my other bulbs burn out, but I still have normal bulbs to use up (some where left over from my grandpa’s estate – he had a ton of them in his garage). Is it more cost-effective to continue using those bulbs until they all burn out (rather than spending the $ on new, compact bulbs, and donating/giving away those regular bulbs), or would it actually save money already to buy them & save on electricity?

This is kind of a dillema for me. I am inclined to think it would be cheaper just to use the bulbs I already have & let them burn out, unless the compact bulbs really save a HUGE amount of money. Our two main lights we use are ceiling fans with 4 bulbs each in them. Also, can you use compacts in those overhead bathroom vanity sockets (the ones that you put those, big, round, clear bulbs in?), and what about those chandaliers that have 4 small tear-drop-shaped bulbs?

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM

You can get the compact flourescent bulbs for things like vanity fixtures & other special types, but they cost alot, and don't always fit. I did get some nice round ones for our kitchen fixture, but they defintely cost more than the spiral ones. Also, sometimes the special shaped ones don't fit. For example, I got some 3 way ones for our living room lamps, and they were way too tall, so I had to return them. Also, I bought some for my sons recessed lights (about $10 each), and they didn't fit either. I did take a pliers to modify the light housing to make one fit, but I gave up on making the others fit.

I did go ahead and replace any light that could take the regular spiral compact flourescents because they don't cost quite as much, and I gave the old ones to my mom, but I'm waiting on the special shaped ones. I still have to replace the bathroom vanity bulbs, and I'm going to wait until they burn our first, just because they cost so much more.

I think you can get a 6 pack of spiral ones for $10 or less, so that's a pretty good deal.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM

We recently converted almost all our household lightbulbs to the compacts. I had a bunch of the old kind leftover. I gave them to my husband to use in his workshop in the garage. When those are used up, we will install compacts out there too.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It might make sense to swap out your most heavily used bulbs with compact fluorescents, but not to give/throw away other bulbs you have on hand.

Personally, I'd buy a 4 pack of compact fluorescents, and next time a bulb burns out anywhere, put the compact in the most heavily used light and put that older bulb in the place where one burnt out -- unless they're the same of course....

if you have some fancy bulbs and you think you'll have that fixture for a good while, you might look into LEDs. There are a few good companies that sell white LED lights in special shapes. They're fairly expensive - like $30-$40/bulb in some cases, but they last literally forever and sip electricity. They're on my looong list of things to buy for my hallway and kitchen.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ladies! I will probably go ahead & buy at least 4 compact bulbs for the fan fixture in the living room which is the light we use the most, and wait it out on the other ones that we use less. As for LED lights, I don't think it's worth the investment for me since I live in an apartment. We are hoping to buy a home later this year, and I don't know what kind of fixtures will be there, so we may not get any use out of special bulbs like that once we move. We do use the vanity lights in the bathroom about 2nd most, though, so if we can get compacts to fit there too it would probably save a lot.

-
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

One more question... is there any truth to fluorescent lighting causing skin damage increasing the chance of cancer??? I sit under normal fluorescent lights all day at work, and if it's bad for me I certainly don't want *more* exposure at home, even if it does save on the electric bill.

-

User Tag List