Dumping Debt and Building Wealth with Dave Ramsey~ MARCH - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Cut up the credit cards? oh that makes my heart race.
Do it! You won't regret it! I cannot tell you how liberating it actually was when we cut them up. It's not a real safety net. The cc companies just want you to think it is.
#62 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
Amber, good luck with all that. Set up that emergency fund before you start too much on the debt. I can't imagine being a single mom, but that's one of my fears if anything were to happen to my dh: how would I be able to handle emergencies?
Thanks! I did have an emergency fund set up, but then had a few setbacks. I suddenly needed a new dryer and my ex was late on the child support (never been late before - he recently changed banks and was having problems). Hopefully I'll have it funded again quickly

I never could have imagined being a single mom either, and I was a wreck for a little while - well, brand new baby and suddenly a single mom! It was very scary. I eventually realized that I felt more like myself and was much happier as a single mom, than I was in an unfullfilling relationship.

I have a great support system, my friends and family have really come through for me. I do have plans in place in case something happens to me - just in case. And if something happens to my dh? Well, I have a life insurance policy on him. I'm the policy holder and benificiary. I thank Suze Orman for that one

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#63 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Cut up the credit cards? oh that makes my heart race. I do think I may cut up two of them. That leaves one.

I should say; step 1. get current on bills is done. Thankfully I have managed to not fall behind on them.
I am on step 2. At the end of this month I should be able to start adding to it again.
All the credit cards, Bunnyslippers. It's time to let go.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#64 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
All the credit cards, Bunnyslippers. It's time to let go.

A plastectomy is in order! Anyone else ready to give up the plastic? We have one debit card. I do not carry it, Mark does. He knows not to use it though.

We are plugging away. We got an extra paycheck this month due to 3 paychecks. We only budget for two so the third was extra. We were able to put $1700 to our extra list. I'll get an update on my list when I get my monthly statement from our Bar Mitzva account.

We sent in our paperwork to the accountant this week. All money received from that return will go to the Bar Mitzva account. Then we are going to put only the $100 that we budget each month towards it from now on.

We are going to start putting some of our own money towards the boys college funds. They get money through out the year from relatives but we have not contributed for many years. So college funding will go on the extras list. We are going to start with $150 a month, $50 to each. It is a start, yea!

Depending on how much the Bar Mitzva account has in it by next tax year we will put that one there or if well funded and earning well we will put it to the college fund. I feel that we will be able to pay atleast the first year for each boy at a state institution.

Debt free and loving it!

Shane

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#65 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
I'll get everyone updated in a minute, but right now I need advice. I don't want to post it on the regular board, because I just wanted your opinions.

I have money in the budget every month for my weight management. I am obese so I do have a membership to a gym (that I use faithfully) and I was going to weight watchers for a while. I decided that I wanted to learn how to eat healthy, so I started going to a nutritionist. Techincally her fee is cheaper overall than weight watchers was, so I thought I was good to save that money. However, the foods she is wanting me to eat is making my food budget go through the roof

I eat mainly fresh fruits and veggies and fish. I don't mind the fresh salads, but the other fresh veggies are killing me. I have tons of frozen veggies, but she doesn't think they are as good. I also get free beef, raised on my Aunt and Uncle's farm. It is the leanest there is because they do not add any fat during butchering and they do not feed their cows any hormones, so I feel better about the quality overall. My nutritionist does not want me to eat red meat. I hate fish. I can also get chicken breast cheap at a local store, but I am still eating a ton of very expensive fish that I hate. Despise it is a better word. I will eat it, but I don't like it.

Basically I need some advice on how you all handle your food budget? I want to eat as healthy as possible, but I just simply can NOT afford to eat on this plan. It is financially draining me I want to eat healthy, but, and I hope this doesn't sound terrible, I truly want to be out of debt too! I just can't justify spending $200 a week on groceries for two people!! That is unbelievably absurd.

Help
Hey Jamie,

I am a lurker on the DR thread, I used to listen to him on a local radio station until they stopped airing him. Anyway, I saw your question and wanted to provide some insight. I am a degreed nutritionist and while I think your nutritionist has nice intentions, she is not really serving you in the way you need to be served.

There is no problem eating frozen veggies. I would just be careful of the more "starchy" ones like corn, try to eat more of the green fiberous stuff. If you can, just substitute her fresh suggestions with the frozen ones. I don't see a problem with the lean beef or chicken either. Really it comes down to calories in, calories out.

Losing weight is really hard. It's awesome that you are working out and working on your diet. If you are eating "whole" foods like meats, veggies and whole grains, then you are probably eating healthy. I'm sure she has talked to you about how to portion your plate, ect..

Please PM me if you need any advice.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#66 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
arismomkoofie, that would make me really nervous. It's 50% of your gross income or take-home? And does that include escrow for PMI, property tax, etc. or is that JUST the mortgage? Ideas for summer income, taking in a daycare kid is an idea. I just found out that MD (I'm near Columbia) law states that if you watch a kid in your home who is not a relative for more than 20 hours a MONTH, you need a license I know people do it without, but I'm pursuing that because next year I'm going to be watching my friend's son. I might pick up some hours this summer too, but we'll see if our schedules mesh at all.
Hi! My new house will be in Columbia too! The payment includes everything except the CPRA, and the 50% is from our take home pay (minus child support), which doesn't include DH's sometimes extra job and the child support I receive. In addition, DD1 will go to K next year, so we will trade the Pre-K childcare for the before/after care. Also, I will switch from teaching in Baltimore Co and that plus a normal pay raise will equal almost 8k per year. And we're messing with withholdings since we got back nearly 10k this year. I think it is manageable, but still scary!

ETA: you wouldn't happen to know how much before/after care might run, would you? TIA!
#67 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetedissac View Post
A plastectomy is in order! Anyone else ready to give up the plastic?
Ooh! Ooh! Me!

You can see the results here.

So plastic free, but not yet debt free. A work in progress!!!

So I have one issue with Dave Ramsey I have to get off my chest. Name calling. He calls people names all the time! Most recently was during the "Credit Sharks in Suits" lesson at FPU. The collector was a "punk". Funny at first, but apparently he does it all the time and it's starting to get on my nerves.
#68 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyMomma View Post
Thanks! I did have an emergency fund set up, but then had a few setbacks. I suddenly needed a new dryer and my ex was late on the child support (never been late before - he recently changed banks and was having problems). Hopefully I'll have it funded again quickly

I never could have imagined being a single mom either, and I was a wreck for a little while - well, brand new baby and suddenly a single mom! It was very scary. I eventually realized that I felt more like myself and was much happier as a single mom, than I was in an unfullfilling relationship.

I have a great support system, my friends and family have really come through for me. I do have plans in place in case something happens to me - just in case. And if something happens to my dh? Well, I have a life insurance policy on him. I'm the policy holder and benificiary. I thank Suze Orman for that one
That's awesome about your support system and all. I hope you get that EF done soon. I need to dig out my Suze books again.

Arismom... The only thing I know about before/after care is that it exists and is run by CA. I used to work in one of teh schools, and would have reason to go into the cafeteria where they were at, and was never impressed by it--it truly is just a place to leave the kids until school starts, they play games, do homework, talk, read, there's no structure from what i could tell--but at the same time, I didn't have any negative image of it, iykwim. They didnt' scare me, or anything.
#69 of 284 Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Barf. Name calling. Such a man thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Ooh! Ooh! Me!

So I have one issue with Dave Ramsey I have to get off my chest. Name calling. He calls people names all the time! Most recently was during the "Credit Sharks in Suits" lesson at FPU. The collector was a "punk". Funny at first, but apparently he does it all the time and it's starting to get on my nerves.
#70 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 AM

OMG! I just got off the phone with Quest diagnostics. My son had 4 urinalysis [what is the plural of that word?] in December and January, and for whatever reason the January 2 weren't billed to the insurance. At the time, I just paid them because I was too caught up in other things, to the tune of $300. So I called today to find out if there was some reason they weren't billed to the insurance before I called the insurance company to get reimbursed, and she said she could bill them to the insurance and then when they pay issue me a refund. Whooot!!!! That could be as much as $200!!!! I'm so psyched.
#71 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
mtm

Just got dh's cc bill. We owe 4800, it was so nice to see it under $5000! Even with me off work for 2 months, we should be able to knock it off by December at the latest.
#72 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I played with my budget numbers and was able to find $175 more dollars for my Emergency fund. My biggest motivation when I started this journey was to be able to travel more without putting it on the credit card, so funding our travel category is important, otherwise I could put more for the Emergency Fund. And if a true Emergency fund comes up, I can "steal" from teh vacation fund. But hopefully that won't be necessary, ykwim.
So
0: done
1: done
2: done
3: $2175/$15000

arismomkoofie, that would make me really nervous. It's 50% of your gross income or take-home? And does that include escrow for PMI, property tax, etc. or is that JUST the mortgage? Ideas for summer income, taking in a daycare kid is an idea. I just found out that MD (I'm near Columbia) law states that if you watch a kid in your home who is not a relative for more than 20 hours a MONTH, you need a license I know people do it without, but I'm pursuing that because next year I'm going to be watching my friend's son. I might pick up some hours this summer too, but we'll see if our schedules mesh at all.

Jaime, some cacti are edible! Google it and find out! Taht's great about the garden. I've tried a couple times to raise some things, and did get some lettuce last year, but we travel so much in the summer that we were never home to a) take care of the garden and/or b) harvest anything. I haven't tried anything in the last few years.
I have you updated My DH is a pro at porch gardening. He had an really impressive crop of lettuce last year. We couldn't begin to eat all of it. So we are planting different things than my Dad this year, so we can share

Quote:
My van is paid OFF!!!

I took the payoff amount to the bank today. The teller didn't even know how to do it, they had to call the auto loan department.

There's another debt off my list!

$466 Capital One
$614 Van loan killed!!!
$1091 Best Buy
$1770 Midwife
$2184 HSBC Retail Services
$4249.63 Needed to get out of Truck loan
Great job!! I updated you

Quote:
Cut up the credit cards? oh that makes my heart race. I do think I may cut up two of them. That leaves one.

I should say; step 1. get current on bills is done. Thankfully I have managed to not fall behind on them.
I am on step 2. At the end of this month I should be able to start adding to it again.
I think you should cut them up. You would be surprised at how you get used to not having them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
Hey Jamie,

I am a lurker on the DR thread, I used to listen to him on a local radio station until they stopped airing him. Anyway, I saw your question and wanted to provide some insight. I am a degreed nutritionist and while I think your nutritionist has nice intentions, she is not really serving you in the way you need to be served.

There is no problem eating frozen veggies. I would just be careful of the more "starchy" ones like corn, try to eat more of the green fiberous stuff. If you can, just substitute her fresh suggestions with the frozen ones. I don't see a problem with the lean beef or chicken either. Really it comes down to calories in, calories out.

Losing weight is really hard. It's awesome that you are working out and working on your diet. If you are eating "whole" foods like meats, veggies and whole grains, then you are probably eating healthy. I'm sure she has talked to you about how to portion your plate, ect..

Please PM me if you need any advice.
Thanks so much! I went again today (lost 16 inches of flab, by the way) and I got a new menu plan, minus the foods I hate Plus she said it would be fine to use frozen veggies since I told her that the fresh were so expensive.

Quote:
OMG! I just got off the phone with Quest diagnostics. My son had 4 urinalysis [what is the plural of that word?] in December and January, and for whatever reason the January 2 weren't billed to the insurance. At the time, I just paid them because I was too caught up in other things, to the tune of $300. So I called today to find out if there was some reason they weren't billed to the insurance before I called the insurance company to get reimbursed, and she said she could bill them to the insurance and then when they pay issue me a refund. Whooot!!!! That could be as much as $200!!!! I'm so psyched.
That is great news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Just got dh's cc bill. We owe 4800, it was so nice to see it under $5000! Even with me off work for 2 months, we should be able to knock it off by December at the latest.
Great! Keep going

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#73 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM

16 inches!! Wow, that's impressive. Since when (may I ask)? Either way, that is great that you've stuck with it.
#74 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM

i paid a big old chunk of money last week and this week I'm feeling the lull of in between pay periods. I don't need anything and yet I'm not feeling that high of paying. Who was talking about wanting that instant gratification? That's me apparently.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#75 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM

Ladies, I've contributed to this thread, but never really joined, so here it goes. We're snowballing with an end of October 2009. This does not include all student loans as my husband has one that will be repaid due to his employment status after a waiting period. I have noticed several people saving that 3-6 month of living expenses before paying all debt. If you don't mind, tell me what influenced your decision in "skipping steps".
I am also going to share my big accomplishment. DH and I worked out an amount for Easter expenses. I really enjoy shopping for DD, but have seriously overspent for sometime now. Last fall I was able to go to a huge pre-owned clothing sale put on by a couple moms I know. They have daughters a couple grades ahead of mine and seriously shop, I mean insane shop. I bought some wonderful things, including a dress that "could" work for Easter. I packed all the spring and summer away. I knew this dress would work, but I've still been shopping online for an Easter dress because I wanted to buy a new one. Well, the more I thought about it the more I knew I needed to get out the one I had. DD tried it on, loved it and her white cardigan still fits as well. To top it off, I had bought two pairs of white dress shoes last spring since DD was not with me, and of course never took one of them back. The other pair now fits, so I can actually buy myself something as I'm in the front row of the choir. I feel like such a weight has been lifted. I can't tell you how enslaved I've been to shopping for DD. It has brought strife to my marriage, I've felt guilty and known it was wrong, but I did it anyway. DH is so proud of me, and more importantly, I'm proud of myself. The irony in it all is DD could care less about clothes, as long and they don't bother her in how they fit. She tells people thank-you when complimented, and other than that is not concerned.
Whew, if you made it this far, thanks for reading my cathartic post.
Take care all, and Jaime, thanks again for all you do.
Pamela
#76 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Ooh! Ooh! Me!

Yea, I know how you feel. I started listening to his radio shows and reading some of his answers, where he calls people twit and sometimes a little harsh in his responses.
#77 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworkmamma View Post
Ladies, I've contributed to this thread, but never really joined, so here it goes. We're snowballing with an end of October 2009. This does not include all student loans as my husband has one that will be repaid due to his employment status after a waiting period. I have noticed several people saving that 3-6 month of living expenses before paying all debt. If you don't mind, tell me what influenced your decision in "skipping steps".
I haven't posted here in awhile, but thought I'd explain why we skipped steps and are doing the 3-6 mos before paying off debt - lack of job security and health issues.

It was very important to us to have more than the BEF because DH has a very unsecure job and because I have a chronic condition that could render me unable to work at any time with little notice. We also are expecting a baby in June and knew I'd be off work for awhile.

You really have to take DR as a base starting point and make choices for based on your situation. Some people are more comfortable with risk than others, some have very secure jobs, some are living alone and have no one to fall back on....

It is a very personal decision what you do first, but the key is to make a plan and do something. As long as you do that, you're doing it right.

Hope that helps.
#78 of 284 Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM

Ack! Already on page 4??? I'll have to catch up. Subbing. We are dealing with rotovirus and flu, and I'm a little behind...uh, on everything.
#79 of 284 Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM

I paid off DH CC today as well as another chunk off mine. Only $1460 left to go until we are debt free! I think that should be taken care of in the next 2 paychecks
#80 of 284 Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLuv View Post
I paid off DH CC today as well as another chunk off mine. Only $1460 left to go until we are debt free! I think that should be taken care of in the next 2 paychecks
*woot!*

Decluttering 500/2010
#81 of 284 Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM

I'm listening to the show archives online:

http://www.daveramsey.com/tdrs

#82 of 284 Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM

AHHHHH!!! : we got our mortgage refinance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here are the stats:

we are borrowing 75% of our homes appraised value (we live in a moderate home in a boom town)
so no PMI or anything like that.

we will get enough cash out to pay off ALL of the credit cards, fund the EF for my maternity leave, buy me a new(er) car (i wrecked my car 5 months ago and we have been limping along with a borrowed car that has to be jumpstarted every time you need to start it in order to avoid another car payment ) and do our modest backyard remodel (privacy fence, a deck, and a veggie garden)

so we will still have our mortgage and my DH's truck loan of <drumroll please> 28,000 : luckily his truck is financed at 7%. our monthly bills are going to be signifigantly lowered, so we should be able to hit that truck loan hard.

I am SOOO excited!!
#83 of 284 Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 AM

What would Dave say if you were already in a 30 year mortgage? We are currently working on the FFEF which I plan to take 2-3 years to have it where I want. Selling would make no sense for us as rent cost more than our mortgage payment.

We have 29 years left on the loan. If I put $25 extra a month on it, it would shave 5 years off that. $50 a month would take off 8 years. Should I be doing that while saving our fund? after? before uping the retirement?
#84 of 284 Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *andiflipping* View Post
What would Dave say if you were already in a 30 year mortgage? We are currently working on the FFEF which I plan to take 2-3 years to have it where I want. Selling would make no sense for us as rent cost more than our mortgage payment.

We have 29 years left on the loan. If I put $25 extra a month on it, it would shave 5 years off that. $50 a month would take off 8 years. Should I be doing that while saving our fund? after? before uping the retirement?
He says unless your mortgage is more than (help me here someone) 50% of your income? (or is it closer to 35%?) you "can" keep the house. But get out of debt first, build your full emergency fund, then contribute 15% to retirement, and THEN whatever else is left goes to paying the house off early. By that time, you'll have tons extra to throw at it.

Good luck!

On the other hand, I've been stupid, and now I'm paying for it. I never/rarely bother to "balance" my bank accounts, but I really should have taken the time before setting up my new budget with YNAB. I was looking at my bank info on-line last night to make sure I had enough to pay the contractors this morning, and realized that my son's preschool just cashed the check I gave them at the beginning of February. So suddenly I'm $640 down from where I thought I was. AND to top it off, I budgeted wrong for the contractors, so while we're not going to overdraft the bank, I have "overdrafted" my budget, and ended up "dipping" into my EF just so I didn't see red. I'm really bummed. I know in the long-run, even in just another month probably, it will be fine, and will all even out. But it's just a bit discouraging to have made such a stupid mistake.
So, I'm $1587/$15000
#85 of 284 Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
16 inches!! Wow, that's impressive. Since when (may I ask)? Either way, that is great that you've stuck with it.
It was my first week. I lost two inches from around my belly area. I lost the other 14 here and there around my body. I am very heavy though, so I tend to drop weight super fast in the begining. I was eating a LOT less than normal, this plan is totally different from the old Weight Watcher plan I was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
i paid a big old chunk of money last week and this week I'm feeling the lull of in between pay periods. I don't need anything and yet I'm not feeling that high of paying. Who was talking about wanting that instant gratification? That's me apparently.
I am the same way. I get that funk when I am between pay checks. I sometimes lose motivation during those times, which is why I really need this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworkmamma View Post
I am also going to share my big accomplishment. DH and I worked out an amount for Easter expenses. I really enjoy shopping for DD, but have seriously overspent for sometime now. Last fall I was able to go to a huge pre-owned clothing sale put on by a couple moms I know. They have daughters a couple grades ahead of mine and seriously shop, I mean insane shop. I bought some wonderful things, including a dress that "could" work for Easter. I packed all the spring and summer away. I knew this dress would work, but I've still been shopping online for an Easter dress because I wanted to buy a new one. Well, the more I thought about it the more I knew I needed to get out the one I had. DD tried it on, loved it and her white cardigan still fits as well. To top it off, I had bought two pairs of white dress shoes last spring since DD was not with me, and of course never took one of them back. The other pair now fits, so I can actually buy myself something as I'm in the front row of the choir. I feel like such a weight has been lifted. I can't tell you how enslaved I've been to shopping for DD. It has brought strife to my marriage, I've felt guilty and known it was wrong, but I did it anyway. DH is so proud of me, and more importantly, I'm proud of myself. The irony in it all is DD could care less about clothes, as long and they don't bother her in how they fit. She tells people thank-you when complimented, and other than that is not concerned.
Whew, if you made it this far, thanks for reading my cathartic post.
Take care all, and Jaime, thanks again for all you do.
Pamela
I tend to live very simply, but one coworker always says that I will go crazy sending money when I have children : I hope not, but I can totally see why people would want to I tend to spoil my Goddaughter, and I made it a goal not to do it this year. My DH said that I topped Santa last year for her : I am glad that you are coming to terms with the shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
Yea, I know how you feel. I started listening to his radio shows and reading some of his answers, where he calls people twit and sometimes a little harsh in his responses.
Yuck, that is uncalled for, IMO. I have never listened to the radio shows, I am sort of glad that I don't, because that would probably turn me off to Dave. Nothing in his books has been offensive to me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLuv View Post
Awesome!! What a great feeling that must be

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandeCobb View Post

we will get enough cash out to pay off ALL of the credit cards, fund the EF for my maternity leave, buy me a new(er) car (i wrecked my car 5 months ago and we have been limping along with a borrowed car that has to be jumpstarted every time you need to start it in order to avoid another car payment ) and do our modest backyard remodel (privacy fence, a deck, and a veggie garden)

so we will still have our mortgage and my DH's truck loan of <drumroll please> 28,000 : luckily his truck is financed at 7%. our monthly bills are going to be signifigantly lowered, so we should be able to hit that truck loan hard.

I am SOOO excited!!
Congrats

Quote:
On the other hand, I've been stupid, and now I'm paying for it. I never/rarely bother to "balance" my bank accounts, but I really should have taken the time before setting up my new budget with YNAB. I was looking at my bank info on-line last night to make sure I had enough to pay the contractors this morning, and realized that my son's preschool just cashed the check I gave them at the beginning of February. So suddenly I'm $640 down from where I thought I was. AND to top it off, I budgeted wrong for the contractors, so while we're not going to overdraft the bank, I have "overdrafted" my budget, and ended up "dipping" into my EF just so I didn't see red. I'm really bummed. I know in the long-run, even in just another month probably, it will be fine, and will all even out. But it's just a bit discouraging to have made such a stupid mistake.
So, I'm $1587/$15000
It is okay. You have learned from this, and that is what is really important. I have been there and done that. Remember last month when I was "Miss Can't Keep Track of the Bills and Paid a Credit Card 7 Days Late" From now on you will keep a running balance, and that will bring you so much peace

So DH had his turn to work last Saturday *he takes turns with his coworkers* and so he was off yesterday. He went to get his oil changed and he came home and went to where the EF is and took $60. He smiled and said "I need a part for my car and I told them to go ahead and order it, because I knew we had the money for it, even if it wasn't planned. I am so glad that we have the EF so that I can go back today and get the part, instead of wondering how we were going to pay for it."

That made me so happy It feels great to know that if we get an unexpected bill or need a repair, that we have the money and we don't have to have that panic moment of "Oh my gosh how on earth are we going to pay for this, where is the credit card??"

Plus, because of my budgeting, I can easily replace the $60 in the EF tomorrow on pay day

I the EF.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#86 of 284 Old 03-08-2008, 01:20 AM

I'm also having trouble waiting, wanting that instant gratification I guess. I want out debt paid off RIGHT NOW.

#87 of 284 Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post

I the EF.
: I have such a peace of mind that is worth so much more than a small BEF of $1000. I want to keep this feeling.

Quote:
I'm also having trouble waiting, wanting that instant gratification I guess. I want out debt paid off RIGHT NOW.
Me, TOO! I had a flurry of activity with our tax return, so it's been hard in between bursts of lump sum payments. I did pay $145 toward the snowmall last paycheck. Dh just got a $1700 bonus today that will pay off two more cards. One more lump sum coming up in May with the check from the gubment!
#88 of 284 Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Ok so I sort of fell of this thread last month..So I am back! We were able to add to our efund this last month, we weren't able to get quite as far as we had hoped but we did make progress. I have been doing the no spend challenge as well and this week I have had 7 days of no spend! This is big for me, because I am a spender, so no spends mean I am close to sticking to my budget!! My dh is sooo hooked on this plan now, so hopefully we will really start seeing those #s go up on our balance! I haven't read through the last few pages, but I'll look through them later

heres my March update so far:

Amanda (mumkenna&lucas) in CA
0-- Get current on bills we are here should be current in next 2-3 weeks
1 -- $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund (275/1000)
2 -- Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
3 -- Three to six months of expenses in savings
4 -- Invest 15 percent of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement
5 -- College funding for children
6 -- Pay off home early
7 -- Build wealth and give! ---
#89 of 284 Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 AM

subbing for inspiration
#90 of 284 Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 AM

I'm subbing because I'd like to join. I think I need to read a copy of the book first, though, and I can't seem to find it at the library. I'm trying to find a cheap used copy but... no luck so far.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page