March Low Income Mamas Support Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylE View Post
saying hi on this thread....I'm a single mom now to my five kids, I was working but my ex-inlaws couldn't handle watching my kids, so now I'm living on child support, child tax benefit and I did manage to get subsidzed housing - but things are very tight. It's been a tough month...
it'll get easier. I'm sure of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning mamas!

welcome cheryl.....

i have a huge paper due on thursday so i think i'll be scarse around here i really hate writing papers....i think i'll try to stay at school where there are no dogs bugging me

i have spring fever so bad......

anyway, have a good day mamas....wish me luck on this paper...
Good luck mama! How is your pain today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
Good morning mamas.

s and welcome to Cheryl. ... being a single mama sucks at times but is also so wonderful so much of the time. But I'm sorry for your hardship.

Everyone else ...

I'm feeling miserable today ... woke up shaking and sore and feeling reaaly dizzy for some reason ... walked my ds to school but almost collapsed. I keep having chills. Blah. : I'm so exhausted.
I hope you feel better soon! Did you eat anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
While Ivy was in school, dh and I took the other two out for a walk in our new (to us) stroller. They loved it so much they fell asleep and are still sleeping! They're sitting in the sun next to the sliding glass window in the kitchen snoozing away. And we had a gorgeous walk. So nice out that I wore a hoodie unzipped! It was very muddy though. The air is so nice, and the sun.... it was good to get outside. I've been stuck inside far too long and I've got spring fever badly!

Ivy had her first school pictures done the other day and I just got them back. Course they send the whole thing to you and make you send the ones you "don't want" back. I want them all!! But I don't have the $70 for them all yanno?? LOL Her picture came out so cute though. I'm so proud of her. We worked really hard preparing her for picture day so she wouldn't be too freaked out. I'll have to find $12 dollars somewhere so I can buy at least one of them for the wall.
How fun! I need a stroller for the baby at some point, but have to get a carseat first. She is getting so big, I am ready to move her up to a covertable.

I know what you mean about pics! We just got a picture thing sent home yesterday and I have to send in money for each kid for a class pic on Thursday. Jeeze, could they give me a little notice?

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#182 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 04:11 PM

DS got approved for medicaid.
Hurray!
Now to look into catastrophe for me!
#183 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
We worked really hard preparing her for picture day so she wouldn't be too freaked out. I'll have to find $12 dollars somewhere so I can buy at least one of them for the wall.
If you have a digital camera you can put the picture on the wall and take a picture of the picture so that all that shows up in the frame is the picture. Then you can have it printed without the watermark showing up.

Heidi
#184 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM

thanks for the welcome and encouragement...

I'm struggling with the cheap, bad for you food problem myself. Definately seems cheaper to do the ramen noodles, cheap mac and cheese type meals. I did find out that there is a harvest box program once a month $8 for a rubbermaid tote of produce (you bring bags and pick up) so I've signed up for 2 of those a month for the next 2 months...I know people feel better with more healthy food/produce...just like this month - I'm out of $ until friday and out of everything fresh and most canned/frozen fruit and veggies as well...got to plan better. I'm sure my kids acting insane is b/c of the junk we're eating.

good luck to the mamas in school and hope people who are sick feel better soon...

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

#185 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Nature, I'm glad to hear the walk went well. And about school pictures ~ that's what I love my scanner for. Unfortunately soon after my ds's first set of school photos they stopped sending the proofs home (probably because nobody was buying them when they could just scan a hi-res version and send them back )...

matey, congrats on medicaid

ediesmom what is the paper on / about?

mamamoo did you mean, did I eat anything this morning or, did I eat anything that would have caused that reaction? ~ Because I don't know what I could have eaten last night that would have done that to me this morning.... I made fried turkey meatball things for dinner, with home-made bbq sauce, and whole-grain cornbread. After I dragged myself out of bed this morning I drank a TON of water and felt better... then had a whole-wheat muffin.

Now to be honest I'm chain-scarfing baked goods to numb my depression (over my dd, and my sister. )

Cheryl ~ Don't feel bad for canned and frozen fruit and veg, it's better than NO veg.

On the food thing ~~ my store is currently running a sale... fifteen cents for a package of ramen noodles. ... PLUS they have ripe bananas (as in not the rock hard green ones ) for only 29 cents a lb. !!! That's over 50% off what it normally is. I got a bunch two days ago, made a batch of banana muffins, and got more today for banana bread. I'll probably also freeze some. This is such an incredible deal. And the ramen noodles... man. You can't beat 15 cents a pack. Unless it's 10 cents a pack, which they sometimes do too.

ETA: also my back is killing me now ... my dad totalled the front end of his car this afternoon... he was driving me up to the clinic w/ my dd and I broke the news to him about my sister's malignancy (she had surgery for it last night, and is going in again tomorrow to have the cancer in her cervix removed) and he promptly ran the car into a pole. Thank God none of us were seriously hurt but my back and legs have been having severe muscle spasms since then.
#186 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylE View Post
thanks for the welcome and encouragement...

I'm struggling with the cheap, bad for you food problem myself. Definately seems cheaper to do the ramen noodles, cheap mac and cheese type meals. I did find out that there is a harvest box program once a month $8 for a rubbermaid tote of produce (you bring bags and pick up) so I've signed up for 2 of those a month for the next 2 months...I know people feel better with more healthy food/produce...just like this month - I'm out of $ until friday and out of everything fresh and most canned/frozen fruit and veggies as well...got to plan better. I'm sure my kids acting insane is b/c of the junk we're eating.

good luck to the mamas in school and hope people who are sick feel better soon...

In most cases frozen has more nutrients in it then fresh as they are flashed frozen in the fields or later that day at the cannery. Fresh has to be shipped to your grocer loosing vitamins etc.

Heidi
#187 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

ahhhhh.... the paper

well, we had some choices, but i chose to do a (very simple) comparison between the 'racial contract', and the ever popular social contract. i am sure you know how political i can be, and this may not have been the best topic for me while this campaign is going on......

i'm just getting really stuck not making it extremely personal....

oh well.....its not due till thursday....i can clean up the heated stuff before then

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

and.............
i want a box o' veggies for 8 bucks!!!!! (although it would be more than that in american currency )

i need some seeds for this year...

i still have SOME from last year, but i'm out of some crucial stuff. any ideas, mamas? there has to be some sort of seed sharing that goes on?

aura.... just a hug. a big one.

alright..enough slacking. i need to go revamp my paper.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#188 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM

Hi Mamas! Can I rejoin you? I haven't been around because I've been beyond busy.... but I'm supposed to be writing that horrible final paper that's due tomorrow at 8 and I'm only at the top of page 6 of the rough draft (which is already bad) and......so I thought I would read all ten pages of the Low-Income Mamas thread.

I'm still low-income. haven't paid march's rent. yah know? Stipend comes soon. It'll be okay. Spring break next week.....drama with the children and figuring out where/how to take them to see their father ('cuz its my responsibility to make sure that happens....). Sigh... Oh did I mention that apparently they don't give multiple TAships to the same student over the course of the summer? This means...that there will be at least one month of rent with no rent!! Yay

Anyway, hugs to all
#189 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
DS got approved for medicaid.
Hurray!
Now to look into catastrophe for me!
Ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
mamamoo did you mean, did I eat anything this morning or, did I eat anything that would have caused that reaction? ~ Because I don't know what I could have eaten last night that would have done that to me this morning.... I made fried turkey meatball things for dinner, with home-made bbq sauce, and whole-grain cornbread. After I dragged myself out of bed this morning I drank a TON of water and felt better... then had a whole-wheat muffin.

Now to be honest I'm chain-scarfing baked goods to numb my depression (over my dd, and my sister. )

ETA: also my back is killing me now ... my dad totalled the front end of his car this afternoon... he was driving me up to the clinic w/ my dd and I broke the news to him about my sister's malignancy (she had surgery for it last night, and is going in again tomorrow to have the cancer in her cervix removed) and he promptly ran the car into a pole. Thank God none of us were seriously hurt but my back and legs have been having severe muscle spasms since then.
I was meaning did you eat any breakfast or anything? I start feeling really bad like that if I haven't eaten...

I'm sorry about the accident, how scary!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#190 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Hey, Mamas, can I rejoin you?

Things were going pretty well around here for a while and I was staying off "the internets" altogether, generally being fairly happy with my life, when a bunch of things hit at once.

We've always known we were one crisis away from disaster, so of course we had to have two: a lengthy, ongoing, and expensive medical issue with DS2 and the theft of my debit card number, which resulted in our bank account being cleaned out.

Now I'm behind on bills, dodging credit card calls, and trying not to kill my DH, who has responded to our recent troubles by falling into a fit of despondency, moping around the house and getting written up at work. I KNOW he's depressed, I know WHY he's depressed, it's just Really Freaking Inconvenient for me right now, for him to "check out" when I need him most.

So I just want to run away.

So instead I came back here.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#191 of 402 Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 PM

FYI to everyone - I'm told by my brother who farms wheat to buy now and buy lots - major shortage coming up and the price is going to skyrocket.

I'm trying to find another large freezer cheap to store food in. My security gland {Dave Ramsey term} is going off big time and saying stock up on food. So we are doing a sam's club run tomorrow to pick up 200lbs of flour {25lb bags} and other things.

DD is running me ragged today, and no end in sight. I really need to find the time to sit down and start cobbling together a curriculum for her, as she is just about ready to start 3-k, and I want to have at least through 1st grade ready as she is gifted. Plus that gives me time to thrift shop for textbooks too.

It's fixing to storm here - I hope we don't get tornadoes because the sky was so brown earlier.
#192 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM

good morning mamas! I hope everyone is doing good this morning.

That $8 box of produce sounds wonderful - our local CSA is around $30 a week, and you don't get anywhere near that much either. We can't afford it, but I'm looking forward to the NEW WIC package coming out because then we'll get vouchers every month for produce.

I'm still crunching the numbers trying to figure out how we're going to make it - we're nearly $300 in the hole each month, and my sweater sales business {buying used & reselling} isn't going well either.
#193 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Good morning all.
#194 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM

hi mamas
six more days til the ultrasound. i am kinda paranoid they will find something wrong with the baby since i am 17 weeks and still not gaining weight, no having a bump, and no movement...( with my other children i felt movement by 15 weeks...) other then that the family is doing alright. ashlyn will be three in less then 2 weeks. still not sure what we are doing for her. my ticker changed last name.. the ! moved to the 7 position which is exciting because i hate debt and slowly but surely its going away. i cant wait til may 16 when the stimulas checks come cuz thats gonna pay off some more!!!!!! anyways hope u all have a good wednesday. we need to do the second batch of grocery shopping; went to costco yesterday and got chicken and bread and milk and i nearly had a heartattack at the receipt. EVERYTHING is costing so much more!!!!!! asnd dont even get me at the gas prices. i am so annoyed... we put 20 dollars in the tank at the gas station down the street so we would have gas to get to costco. and while at costco we saw their price and it was seriously 30 cents cheaper! i was fuming! i dont under stand why the gas prices are so different at different locations with in 5 minutes of each other. bang head
#195 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

hey mamas....just bumping

about all i can manage today

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#196 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Hey Mamas,
sandygirl: Are the new WIC packages federal or just for your state? A long time ago I had read they were trying to put in a new system where they give produce instead of so much dairy and eggs and I keep hoping that they will do the produce soon. At my appointment last week I had asked if we were still doing the farmer's market vouchers and they said they hoped, but hadn't heard yet. I'm gonna freak if they don't give them to us this summer! I would so love to get produce monthly though. I'm so sick of peanut butter and eggs.

I went to a playgroup today for a new mom's group I joined. The woman's house looked like it came out of a magazine and probably costs at least a million dollars. Very high end furniture. At first I was really intimidated but by the end of playgroup I actually started to feel sorry for her. She looked so lonely and her house was decorated in depressing colors and it was so formal I just couldn't relax. I love my tiny little house because it's so cozy and I have quilts hung on the wall and batiked curtains in most of the rooms and even if I was rich I would not buy a huge formal home.

I sold Connor's swing today on Craiglist. I bought it at a yard sale for $5 and sold it for $25. I so can't wait for yardsale season to start. I need to get some more clothes ahead for the kids.

Hope things get better for everyone!

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#197 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 PM

ediesmom ~

Not necessarily on topic for THIS thread but, just as an aside, I can't figure out if I'm insane or really, really smart for wanting to stock up on really important things in case of an emergency.
#198 of 402 Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
Hey Mamas,
sandygirl: Are the new WIC packages federal or just for your state? A long time ago I had read they were trying to put in a new system where they give produce instead of so much dairy and eggs and I keep hoping that they will do the produce soon. At my appointment last week I had asked if we were still doing the farmer's market vouchers and they said they hoped, but hadn't heard yet. I'm gonna freak if they don't give them to us this summer! I would so love to get produce monthly though. I'm so sick of peanut butter and eggs.
federal! http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Lea...Education.html has charts of what the packages are going to. They are cutting back on milk & eggs, but going to add bread & produce.
#199 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
federal! http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Lea...Education.html has charts of what the packages are going to. They are cutting back on milk & eggs, but going to add bread & produce.

WOOOHOOOO!!!

Ediesmom, I hope you are doing ok. I'm thinking about you.

#200 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

good morning mamas!

edie went to the 'jonas brothers' concert last night with her father. he hasn't brought her home yet:......i hope she had an amazing time, but she NEEDS to be at school!

as for me....no, i think i'm not doing great. my health issues are pretty consuming. i emailed my doc last night asking for someone to help me manage...diabetes (out of control), thyroid (undertreated), and the shoulder hurting like hell. all while trying to do all i do. there should be like a patient advocate or something.

story..... i have been giving up cigarettes .....the pharmacy gave me sugar coated gum, which spikes my sugar and has some food allergen in it. i asked them to switch it...they refused: they told me it was what my insurance covered! well, i know for a fact that they cover non-sugar coated gum. as a matter of fact, i think its ALL they cover...the pharmacy was just out of the regular and fudged it somehow. so now my sugar is sky high and my celiac (joint paint, stomach issues, etc.) is flaring.

and then, for months, my doctor had been giving me the wrong long acting insulin, and then bitching about my blood sugars. all the while never telling me that the insulin didn't cover a full 24 hours

so, no....not feeling up to par. and pain wears on me. i am physically and emotionally exhausted ALL.THE.TIME.

enough whining i guess

HAPPY SPRING!!

:: eyes:::sfo ryou:::

#201 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM

good morning ladies!

Ediesmom - *Hugs* I know how bad the thyroid is myself - it alone is debilitating when not properly treated.

mamamoo - thats exactly what I said when I found out - except then I found out they will be cutting my DD's prescription formula amount that WIC covers

Aura_Kitten - you're not crazy - I'm stocking up on food and other items as much as I can. We're going into a big big depression globally, and it's going to be a bumpy ride through it. I just bought 200lbs of flour yesterday, and 50lbs of pasta. Wheat prices are about to skyrocket thanks to a global shortage.

Today I've got to figure out a place to put all the stuff I bought yesterday, and make another shopping run to get my free with coupons items at a few stores.
#202 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Ediesmom: Hope you start feeling better! It must be hard to concentrate on schoolwork when you're in so much pain.

I'm so excited about the new WIC packages! But that's messed up that they are taking away prescription formula. Can Medicaid cover it instead?

I'm starting to get panicky about the whole recession thing. I'm going to grow a huge garden this summer. This will be my first time. I was going to do one last summer but I was in Boston for most of the summer for Connor's surgery. So this will be the summer of gardening. Last summer I had my Dad plant me some blackberries and raspberries so hopefully they will be mature come fall. I'm trying to get a dehydrator off craigslist so I dont' have to freeze all the berries. My parents have tons of blueberry bushes too so I have those to preserve too. Now I'm getting scared about the wheat prices to go up too. I'm thinking about looking into getting a 50 lb bag of flour from the health food store's co-op. I've never co-op'd with them but this may be the time to start. I noticed too that WIC is going to give canned beans now which is good because I have a terrible time cooking the dry ones so that they actually come out right. So at least we'll have that for protein. And if DH can actually get a deer this fall then we'll have that to last us awhile. If I get the dehydrator I can learn to make venison jerky.

I think I'm going to post some more stuff on Craigslist. I want to get as much out of debt possible just in case. DH is a diesel mechanic/truck driver so hopefully there is some job security in that. I mean we'll always need truck drivers but if people stop shopping then that will cut down on how much stuff is needed to be transported. He's pretty good at smooth talking his way through job interviews.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#203 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 AM

Good morning, mamas! Despite all our current crises, we have a big day planned. Now, if only I will start getting reimbursement checks from Blue Cross soon...

Does anyone know how long it takes for an insurance company to reimburse you when you see an out of network specialist? Here is my dilemma:

DS2 sees an out-of-network specialist weekly, for $175 a pop. (OUCH!) Because there is no in-network specialist who can see him, Blue Cross certified this doctor so that we can be reimbursed at the in-network level. However, we still have to pay the full amount, then wait to be reimbursed. I dutifully file for reimbursement every week, yet I'm.Still.Waiting.For.A.Check. This has been going on since mid-February. In the meantime, I now live in a world where everything is paid late or partially, and the most I can hope for is minimum payments. We knew we were one financial crisis away from disaster, and now we're there.

Anyway, my little guy has another appt today at 4:30, and I'm taking the whole family, since we're on Spring Break. We're leaving at 11:00, having a picnic lunch in the Sculpture Garden across from the Museum of Fine Arts, then going into the Museum to check out the Pompeii Exhibit. It will cost us about what going to the movies (sans popcorn) would cost, so it's not a bad outing. Then we can make Ross's appt, a few blocks away, and head home to the Seitan Pot Roast and Veggies I just put in the crockpot.

I feel guilty for spending this money, but $24 to get into the museum seems so small, compared to the $175 I will pay for this office visit, and I had it extra on my check from some tutoring I did after school this month. I should throw it to one of the many sources clamoring for any extra penny, but I am spending it on my family instead.

Anyway, I'm spending it.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#204 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning mamas!

edie went to the 'jonas brothers' concert last night with her father. he hasn't brought her home yet:......i hope she had an amazing time, but she NEEDS to be at school!

as for me....no, i think i'm not doing great. my health issues are pretty consuming. i emailed my doc last night asking for someone to help me manage...diabetes (out of control), thyroid (undertreated), and the shoulder hurting like hell. all while trying to do all i do. there should be like a patient advocate or something.

story..... i have been giving up cigarettes .....the pharmacy gave me sugar coated gum, which spikes my sugar and has some food allergen in it. i asked them to switch it...they refused: they told me it was what my insurance covered! well, i know for a fact that they cover non-sugar coated gum. as a matter of fact, i think its ALL they cover...the pharmacy was just out of the regular and fudged it somehow. so now my sugar is sky high and my celiac (joint paint, stomach issues, etc.) is flaring.

and then, for months, my doctor had been giving me the wrong long acting insulin, and then bitching about my blood sugars. all the while never telling me that the insulin didn't cover a full 24 hours

so, no....not feeling up to par. and pain wears on me. i am physically and emotionally exhausted ALL.THE.TIME.

enough whining i guess

HAPPY SPRING!!

:: eyes:::sfo ryou:::
Oh mama. I am so sorry!! I hope they get your meds and pain all straightened out. That is just sucky!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
good morning ladies!

mamamoo - thats exactly what I said when I found out - except then I found out they will be cutting my DD's prescription formula amount that WIC covers
Oh no! I am so sorry. So is there any other way to get it covered? Through medicaid or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
Good morning, mamas! Despite all our current crises, we have a big day planned. Now, if only I will start getting reimbursement checks from Blue Cross soon...

Does anyone know how long it takes for an insurance company to reimburse you when you see an out of network specialist? Here is my dilemma:

DS2 sees an out-of-network specialist weekly, for $175 a pop. (OUCH!) Because there is no in-network specialist who can see him, Blue Cross certified this doctor so that we can be reimbursed at the in-network level. However, we still have to pay the full amount, then wait to be reimbursed. I dutifully file for reimbursement every week, yet I'm.Still.Waiting.For.A.Check. This has been going on since mid-February. In the meantime, I now live in a world where everything is paid late or partially, and the most I can hope for is minimum payments. We knew we were one financial crisis away from disaster, and now we're there.

Anyway, my little guy has another appt today at 4:30, and I'm taking the whole family, since we're on Spring Break. We're leaving at 11:00, having a picnic lunch in the Sculpture Garden across from the Museum of Fine Arts, then going into the Museum to check out the Pompeii Exhibit. It will cost us about what going to the movies (sans popcorn) would cost, so it's not a bad outing. Then we can make Ross's appt, a few blocks away, and head home to the Seitan Pot Roast and Veggies I just put in the crockpot.

I feel guilty for spending this money, but $24 to get into the museum seems so small, compared to the $175 I will pay for this office visit, and I had it extra on my check from some tutoring I did after school this month. I should throw it to one of the many sources clamoring for any extra penny, but I am spending it on my family instead.

Anyway, I'm spending it.

Holly
Have fun at the museum!!! Sometimes you just have to splurge! Isn't there anyway the doc can wait for the reimbursement payment to come through? Since it's so many weeks now you will be able to start using that money to pay the doc every week as it comes in. It just sucks though...waiting. I hope it come soon. Have you called to ask when they are sending the checks?

#205 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM

ediesmom ~ s I'm so sorry you're going through so much. I wish there was something I could do to help. But, it's awesome you're quitting smoking. I've been trying not to go back.

Buttercup ~ don't feel bad. Seriously. Go have fun.

Earthmama ~ I'm starting to get panicky too... : ... I keep asking if I can grow a garden here (in the backyard @ my apartment complex) and all I keep hearing is, maybe and, we'll see. Well we won't have time for it to matter if they keep putting it off, and there's no way we'll be able to stay afloat during a recession or, God forbid, flat-out depression, without fresh vegetables. And neither will many of the other families here.

Also I can't stock up on flour because every time I've tried they get infested with weavils... we have a major bug problem here no matter what I've tried. Generally I keep stuff in the freezer but we only have our fridge / freezer... so when flour and corn meal is in there I quickly run out of room for anything else.

Ugh.

Anyway, off that depressing note ~ I made the Hillbilly Housewife banana bread last night, using up the last 3/4 c of orange juice my kids had left... I'm almost out of oil. But the bread is delicious. I'm hoping they still have over-ripe bananas on sale at the grocery store this afternoon. And I made home-made soda, which ended up not being as cost-effective as I thought it would be but the kids got a kick out of it.

Is anyone else coloring eggs today or this weekend ~ ??? I need to get another flat of eggs and then we'll be set.

#206 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 PM

I've been asking about the changes in the WIC packages every time I go in for at least a year now. At this point the nutritionist we usually see is asking when it's going to happen as well. At work today dh was told by the guy he works with that his step daughter was headed to WIC to see about formula as "bfing is just too hard and too much work." Dh knows about the upcoming changes to the WIC packages and told him that they won't be giving as much formula soon. I think the poor guy was shocked at how much formula could cost when dh told him.

My really great news for the week is the ~30 infant size Kushies AIOs a friend is shipping to me Her dd outgrew them recently and she has no plans for future babies so I'm getting a nice bunch of diapers. I had wanted to CD with ds, but between initial outlay and having to wash them at the laundromat could not make it work out. Not having the initial outlay is going to be a big help. Now I've just got to get dh to talk with the LL about putting a line up for drying them on. I've also got to see about a diaper pail and a wet bag for when we are out, but that will work out one way or another.

We had an unplanned for bill last week that ate up a big chunk of dh's check so everything is getting pushed that much further out. That includes a new car seat for ds so we have to just hope he doesn't grow at all until we can get the new one for him. Also have to hope the baby doesn't make an early appearance as the seat ds is currently in will be passed down to him. Even with having most of the stuff to pass down from an older sibling kids get expensive!

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#207 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Hi all, I'm new here! I recently separated, a student mama of 2, and my only income will be child support. I'm back in school for the long-haul, so trying to figure out how to make things work in my very high-cost of living area (New York) on a shoestring (our child support doesn't even cover 1/2 of housing costs, my family will help, but obviously there's a limit to that as well)...

I'm hoping you might have some wise words! I'm so overwhelmed.

So, I applied for and got WIC - yeah! That's already a huge help.

Now, I'm trying to figure out other stuff. My kids will be covered on my XH's health insurance, but I will not once the separation is legal, possibly in the next 2 months. So...Medicaid, I'm thinking.

I am also hoping to qualify for food stamps.

My problem is, I think, that I was a really disciplined retirement saver when I was working. I have a 401k from an old job as well as an IRA. It looks like the IRA will block me from getting food stamps! IF liquidating that would enable to get FS for the next 6 or so years (I'm aiming for medical school), it makes sense to do so. But of course, I'm not sure that's the only issue. I own our apartment. Do I have to sell that? Liquidate the 401k? Sell my car? At some point, this gets insane and seems really counterproductive in terms of encouraging people to be self-sustaining in the long term.

I'm having such trouble navigating this stuff - I have no idea how people do it!

It's so hard to take the 1/2 day or day to go around to each of these places... I'm also nervous about making appointments, taking time away from school and then not having all the paperwork they need. And the lists look LONG!

I guess my question is, if I apply for FS and am rejected, will they explain to me WHY and under what circumstances I would be eligible? I'm in New York, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
#208 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

welcome busybeemom!

you won't need to sell your home....and you are allowed to own a vehicle, but there is a cap on the value. if its a high priced car and you owe a lot n it they may want you to 'downsize' it....but maybe not.

housing subsidies DO cover mortgage, sometimes. so applying for a housing subsidy through HUD is a smart idea. the waiting lists are outrageous so the sooner the better.

you will have to get rid of the 401k, i believe. there are ways to get rid of it without it costing you an arm and a leg.....(i don't know exactly how)

yay on your school plans!

mamas, thanks for the well wishes. i made an appointment with the shoulder doc with the huge ego for tomorrow.

and i called the doc to get another scrip for regular nic gum.....no sugar coating (high blood sugar feels crappy)

and i made the decision to self medicate my thyroid.......i know what feels right. damn the tests.

so, hopefully in a few days something will 'give' healthwise.....

#209 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Hi BusyBee, and welcome, although I'm sorry you're stuck in that situation.

As far as the savings go... they will allow you only enough resources to keep or get a job. So like, you could keep the car and of course your home, but if you tell them you have any jewelry or heirlooms they will make you sell those, and then come back and present them with the receipts, and also receipts showing how you spent the money you got from selling off those things (at least that's how it is in CA). The best thing to do is just not tell them what you own. SHH don't tell them I told you that. That won't work for investments though, you HAVE to liquidate those, and then live off of only those until you need emergency aid. Otherwise you won't qualify.

I'm not sure how it is in NY but here in CA, you can't get on FS or CalWorks (welfare / TANF) if you're not going straight to work, or if your training / school will take more than 2 years to complete. That is, you have to show that your training will lead to employment in 2 years or you can't get on aid. I've gotten around that so far just by having an awesome worker who "overlooks" that, but I'll be screwed if I get a different worker. Which is to say, Med school is out, sorry. Under the old welfare rules it could have been done (that is, pre-Welfare Reform) but not anymore.

You're right, it is counter-productive. And it really also sucks.

And on a side-note, I can't believe people in our situation (that is, everyone on this thread!) actually still vote republican after being in our shoes.
#210 of 402 Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Aura_Kitten;10814847]
I'm not sure how it is in NY but here in CA, you can't get on FS or CalWorks (welfare / TANF) if you're not going straight to work, or if your training / school will take more than 2 years to complete. That is, you have to show that your training will lead to employment in 2 years or you can't get on aid. I've gotten around that so far just by having an awesome worker who "overlooks" that, but I'll be screwed if I get a different worker. Which is to say, Med school is out, sorry. Under the old welfare rules it could have been done (that is, pre-Welfare Reform) but not anymore.

[QUOTE]

You have time limits for FS? I thought there were not. I actually am working about 3 hours/week for a professor, but the paperwork hasn't gone through yet so i'm not officially on the payroll. At this point I was only thinking of applying for FS, not welfare, b/c I didn't think I would be eligible for welfare at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page