How much do you pay for used kids clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our local consignment shop while cheaper than new doesn't seem to offer that great of deals. For example for a few dollars more I could buy new Gymboree clothing on sale. And since I know clothes will be getting passed down for the oldest to two others it just makes since. This however is still not as thrifty as I would like. There is a children's clothing sale at a local church at the end of the month that I thought I'd check out. I don't want to overspend on used clothing though.

What is reasonable to pay for used children's clothing items?

Thanks,
Pam
#2 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Well, I've just shopped for baby outfits at my local thrift store and I usually pay like $.60-$2.00 for an outfit. Try thrift stores in the "nice" parts of town where parents are likely to be donating more gently used, better name brand items.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#3 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM

I think location plays a huge part as far as how good the deals are, where I live the standard thrift stores like Goodwill & Salvation Army are hit or miss as far as having cute stuff. Best score to date was $3 for Hanna Anderson jammies and that was on half price day.

There is a children's consignment shop near me and stuff averages $3.99 - $4.99 a piece so it can start adding up quickly. Honestly I can do better on a good sale at the mall at a place like Children's Place or even Gymboree.

So for me I have never scored the 50 cent deals some folks talk about but I chalk it up to location.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#4 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 01:39 PM

I think the prices are going to vary by region.

Here the thrift store prices are high end around $3.00 (for elementary age clothing) and some as low as sixty-five cents (for infant clothing). At garage sales I'll pay $2.00 or less. I'm also pretty frugal so I pass on the higher priced clothing unless it's something really special in like-new condition!

I tend to search out natural fiber high quality clothing and pay a bit less attention to style than I do quallity, construction, and condition. I want clothing that is going to last!
#5 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM

I pay a buck an item at the Salvation Army tag sales (which happen here on Fridays and Saturdays each week).
#6 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 PM

There is a difference between thrift stores and consignment stores:

Thrift Stores:
  • accept items on donation basis, doesn't matter condition.
  • often have 1/2 price or bag sale days.
  • Most items are priced under $5.00
  • Ex. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Village Arc, Value Village, etc.
Consignment Stores:
  • accept items on consignment from individual parties
  • usually are priced less than 50% of retail
  • accept name brands only
  • accept items in excellent to good condition
  • run "seasonal" sales, much like retail stores
Vintage Stores:
  • accept items on consignment on occasion
  • usually have their own stock and buyers
  • usually only name brands or styles
  • the most expensive of secondhand stores

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#7 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM

I go to the weekly half-price sale at my favorite thrift store when I need clothes. I get items from $.50 - $3. The more expensive things are almost-brand-new things, like a really good condition pair of Gap khakis. The $.50 will be a no-name T-shirt, but generally in good condition.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#8 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Consignment stores are too high dollar for me. Garage sales are where it's at. Hit the richest neighborhood in your area and get all that expensive stuff for pennies on the dollar. It takes some time, but I love the thrill of the hunt!
#9 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen View Post
Consignment stores are too high dollar for me. Garage sales are where it's at. Hit the richest neighborhood in your area and get all that expensive stuff for pennies on the dollar. It takes some time, but I love the thrill of the hunt!
:
there's a few of us moms in our email group who are itching for it to get nicer out so that we can hit up some garage sales! it gives me something to do on saturday mornings with the kids, and we end up with some pretty nice stuff. for nice toddler clothes (3T and up), i'll pay $1 per piece. baby stuff, less than $1. i'm good at hitting the sales at old navy and other stores at the mall, so if its more than $2 (unless its a really nice dress, like the one i got last year for dd for $5), then i pass. (i got dd a whole bunch of really cute summer tshirts for $1 each at old navy and the children's place outlet last fall. and i got shorts at kmart for 30 cents a pair a year and a half ago.)
#10 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM

In my are, both thrift stores and consignment shops charge $2-$5 per item, which seems kind of high to me. I have found that it is worthwhile to buy used sweaters, jeans, dress shoes (that are rarely worn) and outerwear. T-shirts, shorts, knit pants, etc I can buy new on sale for less than used prices.
#11 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Nothing, I get it all from Freecycle.
#12 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM

I, too, suggest freecycle. Also, Craigslist will sometimes have someone selling a lot of kids clothes and you can get bags of them for under $5 or $10.

Another place I suggest is Target. The clearance racks often have better prices than Goodwill! I've gotten brand new jeans for my DD for $2.15, new sweaters and shirts for $2.00, etc. You just have to buy off-season!
#13 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM

I am lucky to be near a really great Goodwill, as far as brand names and condition of clothes is concerned. Baby clothes are $1, and kids clothes are $2-$3, except for coats, and sometimes two piece sets are $4-$5. They have a half off sale once a month.

We don't really need any clothes at the moment, but I still like to go browse once a month or so, and try to be really selective if I do buy anything. It's fun.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#14 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 PM

i do mostly consignment. dp's family routinely gives the kids fancypants clothes that don't fit or are the wrong season (mil sent ds some turtlenecks that will fit him perfectly this summer this week. ) so i consign all that stuff and get stuff they can actually use with the proceeds. i make a point of picking out name brand/ really nice stuff from the consignment store so i can reconsign it when i'm done with it. some stuff gets destroyed, but a surprising amount makes it back to the store.
#15 of 44 Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 PM

In Albuquerque, the selection of good quality used children's clothing stinks. Goodwill, Savers, etc. have mostly low quality stuff in cruddy condition and the prices are $2 and up per piece usually.

I can definately do better at sales at retail stores. Target, The Children's Place and Gymboree are easy to score super cheap stuff at- you need to get on the mailing list at TCP and Gymbo- but with coupons, Gymbucks and clearance sales, it definately beats paying $2 for a poor-quality, used shirt at the thrift store.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#16 of 44 Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I can definately do better at sales at retail stores. Target, The Children's Place and Gymboree are easy to score super cheap stuff at- you need to get on the mailing list at TCP and Gymbo- but with coupons, Gymbucks and clearance sales, it definately beats paying $2 for a poor-quality, used shirt at the thrift store.
That's how it is here, too, especially as you get into the bigger sizes.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#17 of 44 Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
In Albuquerque, the selection of good quality used children's clothing stinks. Goodwill, Savers, etc. have mostly low quality stuff in cruddy condition and the prices are $2 and up per piece usually.

I'm finding that I'm buying more and more new clothes for my kids as they get into bigger sizes. Secondhand stores just don't have the bigger kids stuff, because it gets too used and abused for them to accept. So, I look for the Gymboree and BabyGap stuff that's marked down really low. I figure I'll use it for a few kids, so it's worth it to have stuff that looks good and is made well.
#18 of 44 Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyddeville View Post
I'm finding that I'm buying more and more new clothes for my kids as they get into bigger sizes. Secondhand stores just don't have the bigger kids stuff, because it gets too used and abused for them to accept. So, I look for the Gymboree and BabyGap stuff that's marked down really low. I figure I'll use it for a few kids, so it's worth it to have stuff that looks good and is made well.
We used to live in Cheney and had that same problem when my kids got bigger. But on the other side of the mountain not so much of a problem any more.

For baby items I pay $1 or less unless it is Hanna Anderson then I will do as high as $3. I only buy name brand items as I can resell them.

The older boys for Levi jeans I will pay up to $3.00 an item. I buy a good portion of their stuff new at Children's place when they do their $1.99 sale.

Heidi
#19 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 AM

I think the local, fairly high-end consignment shop has gotten a bit pricier as consignment shopping has really started to take off. I would say, esp. for older kids clothes $7-10 for pants, shirts, $12-20 for sets, and the winter gear, like a great snowsuit $40-75. Pretty pricey IMO, but it's a better option than retail for me right now. I hate, hate, driving to the mall or taking my kids in.
#20 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM

I never spend over $5 on anything
#21 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
I never spend over $5 on anything
I wish this could be me too! The problem I am finding these days is with the older girl's clothes. DD won't wear jeans, and it's pretty tough to find decent, appropriate clothes for the pre-teen set.
#22 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
I wish this could be me too! The problem I am finding these days is with the older girl's clothes. DD won't wear jeans, and it's pretty tough to find decent, appropriate clothes for the pre-teen set.
I'm just cheap I wont spend over $5 on myself or dh either.
#23 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Oh, my 9yo dd won't wear jeans either! It's not too hard to find shirts for her at Goodwill, but bottoms that she will wear are tough to find. I just bought a few pairs of cotton yoga pants for next year from Land's End overstocks for $10/pair. I felt like that was a lot, but I got out her shirts for next fall/winter, and realized I'd only spent $10 on 7 shirts, so I guess $40 on pants isn't so bad.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#24 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 01:38 AM

i like yardsales and flea markets for dirt cheap prices. does take time to hunt down but worth the effort. although up to say 3.50 per piece at goodwill is average if i need convinience more than cheapness. and we get a lot of handmedowns too so often i pay nothing.
#25 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 AM

You know, it's a lot of work to be frugal with spending on kids clothes!
#26 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Most of the kids clothes at second hand stores are $2-3. We don't have consignment shops here. The kids are in sizes that are impossible to find second hand. Fortunately DS gets a lot of hand me downs but I don't know what I'm going to do for DD. Everything is getting too small and I can't find much second hand (I actually had to buy her a size 10 dress at SA army yesterday to get one thar went below her knees and zip up; she's 3 ).
#27 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM

I also live in Albuquerque, but I have relatively good luck finding some things at Goodwill -- I find a fair amount of Gymboree, Gap, and the occassional Hanna, enough so that I try to stop in there every few months to check; not so much luck with Savers, I agree. And never at Thrift Town (except for a lovely emerald green velvet coat I once found for myself, lol!)

I don't do garage sales b/c I simply do not have the time to go running around town on weekends on top of the kids' activities; I like everything I'm looking at to be consolidated in one spot. I do usually try and go to a biannual local Mother of Twins' Club garage sale, b/c I have often found good stuff there, although as with many things, you need to watch out that you don't overpay, since the sellers set their own prices there.

IME, you can find brand-name, pristine-quality infant clothing for practically nothing in almost any thrift, garage sale, or consignment store (b/c so many people tend to overbuy for their babies, and much of the stuff is barely worn,) so I am most frugal in that category. Finding clothing in good shape in larger sizes, especially now that I have a 7 yo DD and a 9 yo DS, is more of a challenge, particularly for pants.

As with many of the other posters, I'm also to the point now that I buy my oldest DS mainly new jeans/pants, on deep clearance from various places, b/c that way I can guarantee:
1. They will have an adjustable waist (an essential feature if you're planning on having more than one child wear something, and I am ever so grateful to whomever invented this!)
2. Brand-new in larger sizes is more likely to survive down to the next child with no holes in the knees. Used pants/jeans, once my kids hit around 4 or 5 yrs., often only last through one child before they get holes, so used isn't much of a savings if I can't pass them down, you know?

You will, in general, always pay more for the cleaner, nicer organization you find in consignment stores, unless you go there during a sale or find something on deep clearance. Personally, I don't mind thumbing through endless racks of junk, searching for the rare gem -- I actually find it fun, provided that I can shop ALONE (this is a big provision, lol!)

I grew up in central Pennsylvania, which has a plethora of good-quality consignment and thrift stores (like 10-15 within a 20 mile radius), not to mention a bunch of factory outlets and other clothing shopping (combined with no sales tax on clothing in the entire state.) For this reason, whenever we take a vacation back to the East Coast, I bring along several empty duffel bags in our luggage, save up our pennies, and buy entire seasons, heck, several seasons' worth, of clothing to take back home. I'm just sad that Painting Red Rhinos has shut its doors forever, b/c their factory store and sales used to be the highlight of my shopping vacations!

With my large family, I'm to the point now that I usually only buy things for my oldest two children (a boy and girl) b/c I've already collected so much to hand down to the little ones. That way, I just have to buy everyone new underwear, socks, and shoes, with maybe the occasional replacement item here and there, or special occasion clothes where everyone matches (this is a weakness of mine , and I'm set!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#28 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Hi Guin

We should hit the thrift stores together sometime!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#29 of 44 Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 PM

At my local thrift (St. Vinnie's) they have one day a week that all kid stuff is a buck, so that's when I go. I usually cherry pick the best stuff -- if it all costs the same, I might as well buy stuff from LL Bean or Children's Place that will last longer than the store brands from Target or Walmart.

It's because of this forum that I go thrifting -- I never thought to do it before. My kids have some AWESOME clothes b/c of it. I'll be sad when they are old enough to ask for specific stuff in stores.
#30 of 44 Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Hi Guin

We should hit the thrift stores together sometime!
Indeed!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page