They overpaid my foodstamps???!!! x-posted in Ohio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-13-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if this doesn't go here but I'm just wondering if anybody else has dealt with this.

Long story short:
We applied for food stamps while my husband was going to school and I was working part-time. We were only on them about 5 months and I called to report that we were over the income limit as soon as I knew we were ineligible (even though we were still living paycheck to paycheck and could have used the help.) It took me TWO months to get ahold of someone because my caseworker would not return my calls. Once they closed my case they left money on my EBT card for another two months, so I used it -about $70.00. (No flames here please, I know it was wrong.)

Now they're saying because THEY did not check my income (which they did) that I have to pay them $246.00. They're saying we were eligible for $0!! So why should I pay them back for what was their mistake?!!

I just wondered if anyone else has dealt w/ this. I'm not sure how to handle it. I've called the number on the form they sent me, but the woman said she'd have to call me back. I've called and requested a hearing. But what happens if I just refuse to pay it?

What makes me so mad is that they're coming after someone who only needed to use this service for a little while and was honestly in need and who didn't lie to live off the system. And we can't pay this anyway because we're still living paycheck to paycheck. Sorry to rant, I'm just so mad!

Thanks for any help!
#2 of 14 Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Social Security does the same thing. An older friend of mine got a notice stating that they had overpaid her "x" amount each month for the past several years and she had to pay it back even though it was no fault of her own. If it proves a hardship, you take them your bills and show that you can only pay so much each month, otherwise they just deduct it from your check each month until the total amount is paid. Not sure if Food Stamps work the same way, but it is the government.
#3 of 14 Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM

You can try contacting your local Congressperson and see if the office staff can intervene on your behalf.

I know when I interned with a Congressman we intervened on behalf of constituents in SS cases. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
#4 of 14 Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I didn't think of that. I talked to a caseworker and they are reviewing everything but she said regardless of whether it was their mistake or mine I have to pay it back! She was nice but acted like it wasn't worth having a hearing over. It was almost like she was trying to talk me out of a hearing. Well, so sorry. I'm not paying money back w/o a fight!
#5 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
#6 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Well my guess would be that you will have to repay it. That is just how the govt works. Good luck mama!
#7 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Dar

I know that with SSI and SSDI (Social Security programs) if there's an overpayment that's not your fault, and if it would cause you a significant hardship to repay it, you can ask for a waiver and usually get it. I have no idea whether the same is true for food stamps, though.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#8 of 14 Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I know that with SSI and SSDI (Social Security programs) if there's an overpayment that's not your fault, and if it would cause you a significant hardship to repay it, you can ask for a waiver and usually get it. I have no idea whether the same is true for food stamps, though.

Dar
This happened to our family.. no such luck for us.

Mama to my tribe
#9 of 14 Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM

gotta pay them back.

i had to pay social security back for their mistake... . my dad is still try to get them repaid for their screw up in 04
#10 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here's an update in case anyone's still out there and wants to know what really happens.

As most people who posted said, whenever they overpay you, you have to pay it back whether it was their fault or yours.

I fought and fought about mine and thank goodness I did because it turns out they never took into account our rent and utilities! It's being refigured right now and we will probably not owe anything or at least a reduced amount.

Moral: Don't back down!
#11 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 PM

That is great news!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#12 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the update, that is good to know!
#13 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Good for you for keeping at it. I hope that it's refigured in a way that will work for your family.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#14 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 PM

I hope everything turns out okay; from experience, I know that it can be stressful waiting for news. I am sorry you have had to deal with this.

Mama to my tribe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page