TV antenna instead of cable/satellite - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering dropping my satellite service and purchasing a TV antenna. Has anyone installed a TV antenna in the last couple of years? Is this worth doing now before the television conversion next February or should I wait until things change? Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 01:00 PM

The satellite TV must be expensive. It sounds worth it to install the antenna and cancel the satellite. I'm sure it's very easy. And be sure to apply for the conversion box coupons worth $40. You can get up to 2 for free if you are one of us who haven't blown a wad buying a digital TV and still have rabbit ears. You can do that at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/.
#3 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 PM

You wanna get a UHF antenna -- that's where the digital channels are. If your tv is not digital-ready, then a tuner will be about $100. I hear that there are coupons out there to help people with the transition.

We get MUCH better reception with digital. In part, the signals are broadcast from a location closer to us than the old stations. That might not be true for you, but I have been happy with the switch to digital.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 PM

oops, didn't read the whole post. repeated info already said!
#5 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM

I have more info for you - Dh read the website about the conversion and apparently you will need an antenna no matter what for the conversion, unless you get basic cable or install a large antenna on your rooftop or attic. It looks like we will be doing the large antenna in our attic and running a cable from that down to the TV option, plus it will be nice to get rid of the antennas on top of the TVs which are unsightly, IMHO.
#6 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Can someone clue me in...what's this conversion of which you speak?

I barely watch TV (probably obvious from my question above), but we do have one, and no satellite/cable. We have an antenna, but it's just rabbit ears.
#7 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeeMom View Post
Can someone clue me in...what's this conversion of which you speak?

I barely watch TV (probably obvious from my question above), but we do have one, and no satellite/cable. We have an antenna, but it's just rabbit ears.
Starting February 2009, television stations are switching their broadcasts to HD... nonHD tvs will need a converter box + antenna to continue getting broadcast television.

If you want a cheaper alternative to satellite, without a full cable package, as your local cable provider what their basic cable rate is. In my area it's still less than $20/month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page