The Grocery Game - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this website on The Food Network's Unwrapped. This lady gets crazy deals and uses a lot of coupons. The website uses a store in your area and tells you the deals, when to use your coupons and things like that. I really want to get our grocery bill down some more and even though it's $5 a month to use it, it seems worth it. That said I want to know if anyone does use it and if it really does help you save money. I don't want to shell out money for nothing! There is a $1 trial for 4 weeks so I might go for it but I want to know if anyone else has any experience with it.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#2 of 9 Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Removed
#3 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think I'll do that for a while as I gather coupons and figure this all out. HAs anyone done both? The Grocery Game claims to have sales noonne else does and things, any truth to that?

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#4 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Thanks! I think I'll do that for a while as I gather coupons and figure this all out. HAs anyone done both? The Grocery Game claims to have sales noonne else does and things, any truth to that?
I got the $1 trial. We'll see if it pays off.
I did check it this week and I only checked off 5-6 items on the list she provided.
I guess if you are a brand name product user it's great, but I usually buy the store brand and natural products (Kiss My Face, Quorn, etc...)

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#5 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNRPMom View Post
I use Pinching Your Pennies. It's free. Just go to your state and "Screaming Deals". Lots of other penny pinching info and "deals" posted there as well. Check out the forums....

http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/index.php
I just registered so that I could view the forums and there is nothing under my state (CT) looks like there hasn't been any activity in over a year or so.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#6 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 AM

I use the Grocery Game and LOVE it! I have stocked up on boxes of cereal for a dollar or less (I have 23 boxes in my pantry right now), free toothpaste and toothbrushes, and lots of other items for 20 cents or so (butter, cheese, etc).

I would say definitely worth the $1 trial, I was hooked by week 2!
#7 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM

I have used grocery game in the past and loved it. I don't anymore, but I have learned how to figure out the sales on my own- and have become too frugal to pay the fee for the gg. Its a wonderful way to save money- I get our coupons on ebay- saves time cutting and searching for them. If you do it, stick with it through the 12 week cycle- everything you need will eventually go on sale
#8 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM

I tried it, but it only had one of the stores I shop at regularly. Honestly, I do it myself at this point. I get the store ads, go through anything that is on sale that we would use before it's expired, check for a coupon, and if it is a good price I stock up on as many as I have coupons for. If it is really good, and I have time, I will buy some coupons online. I buy 4 papers every week though, so normally I don't need to buy coupons.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#9 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 02:51 PM

The Grocery Game can be great if you buy a lot of prepackaged stuff and/or cleaning supplies. That's what most coupons are for. And if you're careful to not go overboard on stockpiling stuff that you won't use in time or that your family doesnt eat just because it's a good deal. When I first started with it I loved it. It really is amazing what you can get for very little. One thing I like about it over some other similar sites and what makes it worth the cost is that she details how good a deal something is. Just because something is on sale and there is a coupon, doesn't mean it's a great sale. It may be .20 of today, but in a week it could be .75 off. GG keeps track of how low things routeinly go, and lets you know if it's a real sale or a fake one. As I've started shopping for more whole foods/ Traditional Foods I find that I really don't use a lot of what is on the lists. I've downgraded to just one store, and I'm thinking about dropping that one too. Definatly do the $1 four week trial. You should get a pretty good idea if it's for you or not, and even if it's not, I guarentee you will save more than $1 in those four weeks.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page