Mothering Forum banner

WWYD To move or not to move?

548 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cjr 
#1 ·
Town A:
20 minutes away from Town B where we go 2-3 times a week and dh goes 5 times a week for work. We spend $250-$300 a month for gas
Where my family lives (free babysitting
)
My extrememly cheap gym membership where I go to an excellent Yoga class 2X a week
We live in a 2 story town house, with yucky carpeting, singlepane windows (that occassionally get mold at the bottom), we can paint though! Lived here 3 years and is where dd2 was born
Small boring town town, nothing to do and way to hilling to go for many walks

Town B:
Higher rent (about $275 higher actually)
Where our church/Groc/work is
Green living town, much more "crunchy"
If we move there, dh will trade his car for a motorcycle and get to work that way and take the bus, carpool, take my car when it's raining
I estimate our gas use to be about $150 a month there
New place has hardwood laminate floors and is one story

Will have to give up gym membership to afford new place
Cost of moving will nearly wipe out savings

We are applying for the new place today leaving it in Gods hands. Just curious what others would do in this situation?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would move. You have to like your living space. And saving on the driving time will improve your quality of life.

You could try to cut down on your gas bill even more, and see how to reduce, even slightly, other bills like utilities.. Is town B appealing enough that your family members come there often anyway (thus can visit you and babysit!) If not, maybe you can find a place to meet halfway when your child goes to see them

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by traceface View Post
I would move. You have to like your living space. And saving on the driving time will improve your quality of life.

You could try to cut down on your gas bill even more, and see how to reduce, even slightly, other bills like utilities.. Is town B appealing enough that your family members come there often anyway (thus can visit you and babysit!) If not, maybe you can find a place to meet halfway when your child goes to see them
That reminds me, dh's parents would be much more likely to come and babysit or just pick up dd1 to run errands with them. My mom comes there often, but she won't stay to babysit since she has 5 under 10 with her.

#4 ·
It sounds like you want to go with the new place and it does sound like it's a better fit for what you and family want. With that being said, I always slightly cringe when people say something is going to wipe out their savings. Will your family be able to build up that savings again fairly quickly so you have a reserve? As long as you can manage any short-term unexpected issues that come up that require $$ then I say go for it! If not, I would think about whether or not you can save up a bit more and then make the move when you won't be having to worry about financial issues. If you can take a look at your budget and there is room to cut some other things out so you can help build your savings back and not have to worry about unexpected expenses, then I would again go for it! It really does help if you live somewhere you like!

#5 ·
We just moved. Not a small move, but a major relocation. It was very very expensive. We were lucky that Dh's employer covered most of our moving expenses, closing costs and such. Above those expenses were unexpected costs with utilities and so on.

This move sounds like it's a small move. You are renting? So no selling, just moving. We moved from a big city to a small town 10min from a small city. We love it. We are tight wadding it now trying to get our savings in check, but we are so much happier.

Quality of life is very important. If moving means your quality of life will improve, then there really is nothing to think about. Savings are meant to be used in situations like these. You will need to work hard to build up your savings again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.