Jon & Kate plus 8... how do they feed 10 organically? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know this show and how they manage to feed their family of 10 on $150 a week? She mentions it on their website, but leaves out most of the detail. I can't seem to leave the grocery store for less than $170 these days, and that's for a family of 4. I guess I need cheaper meal ideas. :LOL
#2 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 03:55 PM

I found this explanation:

8. How do we spend only $150 per week on groceries for a family of ten? We spend that much ONLY at one store. In other words, due to editing, it seems that we only spend that much period...not entirely true! I shop at discount stores locally (great source of organic foods extremely well priced) as well as at Sam's club every other month or so. We also do not buy our meat at the grocery store. We buy it in bulk at organic wholesale places. Bottom line: We pay as little as possible for organic/nutritious foods for our family because it is important to us! I really can't say what it avererages per month total......maybe between 600-800 per month? Hard to say!

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#3 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I read that. What I would love to know is what meals she makes that allow her to spend so little. I may have to check out her book...
#4 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM

She has a book?

Mom to :...and maybe thinking about one more...
#5 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Kate has a booK? That would be a good read actually. I really like her and many of her ideas.

Mom to :...and maybe thinking about one more...
#6 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM

My guess is that they afford to eat organically and to live in their nice house from the money that they receive from the show and its sponsors.
#7 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 04:56 PM

The sextuplets are pretty small, still, so maybe they don't eat all that much yet.
#8 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

here's her book:

http://tinyurl.com/327act
#9 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM

I can see spending a small amount at the store, if she's also buying meat direct from the farmer and buying staples from a co-op. Basically she'd just be buying produce (and maybe dairy) from the store.

And like the others said, her kids are still pretty small.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#10 of 34 Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM

I have no idea, because I spent almost $40 at Aldi and almost $130 at WalMart today for the week's groceries. Nothing but food, and I still need to go to Kroger for about 5 more things. Very little of that was organic. I didn't buy any meat. And, my kids are 4 and almost 2.

I just had to increase the household goods line in my budget and make it up from elsewhere, because it is literally impossible for me to stick to our $700/mo. I'm not sure that I can do the $900/mo that I increased it to.
#11 of 34 Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
My guess is that they afford to eat organically and to live in their nice house from the money that they receive from the show and its sponsors.
I've watched the show a few times and she seems so stressed doing some of the things they are doing, I mean I'm stressed with the idea of taking 2 kids some places and she takes 8, all I can think is that the show makes her do those things to remain interesting - no one wants to watch a show about a mom with 8 kids who goes nowhere and does nothing (which would be me with that many kids at those ages). I always end up thinking they must get a decent amount from the show itself to make it worthwhile or even possible for them to live as they do.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#12 of 34 Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildoftheMoon View Post
In other words, due to editing, it seems that we only spend that much period...not entirely true! **snip** I really can't say what it avererages per month total......maybe between 600-800 per month? Hard to say!
Well, ummm ... $150 x 4 weeks IS $600 ... but she just said it's "entirely not true" that that's what they spend.

???

dm
#13 of 34 Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM

I don't know who these people are in this book or anything, but I'll take the bait.

We eat 100% organic in our family of 7 (DH, 9yr, 8yr, 4yr, 3yr, 1 yr, and I). I spend less than $100/week. We buy out of "Country Life" bulk foods http://www.clnf.org/ once a month for all our bulk items. The minimum order is $350, no delivery fees, and we order with one other family in our area. We get cert. organic bulk - ww bread & baking flours, evap. cane juice crystals, popcorn, nutritional yeast, real salt, raisins, rice, sprouting seeds, olive oil, etc. ~$150/month is spent this way. (We don't order every month, because we can't meet the $350 required amount, but it averages ~$150/month.)

We butcher our own pastured & cert. organic grained chickens (~70, 75 quarts & pints canned), and we pay ~$225 after selling some to help pay our costs on the chickens. We also get a hunted venison, given to us for free, that we cut & grind up (one buck, ~60# ground meat). We get our tuna from Whole Foods $1.19/can, (~$125/year).

Everything else, eggs, dairy, frozen, produce, etc, we buy locally, in our store's large natural foods section. ~$50+/week.

Total is ~$4750-$5200/year (~$100/week average) for us, but keep in mind make lots of stuff from scratch. We hardly ever eat in restaurants (2 $5 Little Caesar's cheese pizzas can feed us when we want a change ). We really like to eat this way, with "whole foods" that are organic, and we've seen the changes in our health to boot!

Hope this inspires someone like the person who inspired us to eat this way!
#14 of 34 Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 PM

I am not begrudging ANYONE with EIGHT kids extra money from a tv show!

People dont get rich off that kind of show!

And ALL reality tv is HEAVILY edited and even staged... so what you watch is NEVER really true.

And the more "stress and fights" they put in they better it sells! People want to see the drama!

It all depends on what and how much you eat and where you live!!!!

Resistance is futile Matey
#15 of 34 Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
Well, ummm ... $150 x 4 weeks IS $600 ... but she just said it's "entirely not true" that that's what they spend.

???

dm
I know, made me scratch my head too. I borrowed that paragraph from her website and that was her answer to the a FAQ.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#16 of 34 Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

They had a "behind the scenes" show the other night and the mom and dad said that they wouldn't do it unless it was REAL reality tv. She says there are no scripts, no staging, and the crew is there every day and is practically family to them. She said she would have refused to do it if TLC wasn't willing to show their real everyday life. They don't go out too much.

I guess if I had more storage for bulk items, room for a deep freezer, etc, I could probably shop for less $.
#17 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 AM

I just remember seeing her at a Sam's Club. While I typically do not shop there (avoid Walmart like the plague)-- I can't say I remember seeing TONS of organic stuff while there-- usually the stuff I see I think I'd rather get at the store.

We're a family of 4 who probably spends about $70/week (average) on food, including organic milk, soymilk and eggs...plus mostly "organic" boxed foods that do not contain hydrogenated oils.

As for the kids being "little" and not eating much-- my daughter is the exact same age as the younger ones and I thank God every day I don't have to feed 6 of her. She could easily eat me out of house and home--- this teeny tiny thing is a BOTTOMLESS PIT! :

Jon & Kate are a gold mine for TLC/Discovery. There's a lot of interest in them. I'm sure, as the seasons have gone on, that they've managed to get a decent amount of $$ from the show. Think of the Roloffs from LPBW-- all of the newer episodes I saw (don't see them anymore) involved the stuff they were buying or things they were doing with that money.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#18 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 AM

When she first told the world that she spent that much, they had only done a couple one hour specials and (I'm guessing) weren't buying tons of organic or pricier foods - plus they were feeding 6 1 year olds, not 3 year olds. But I bet now that they have the show, they're able to afford better, and more food.
#19 of 34 Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Yup, that.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#20 of 34 Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 PM

although i bet their food prices are higher if that question was earlier in the kids lives BUT i don't think they were really hurting for money before. i don't know what an IT analyst makes but its computers so that means higher. although its expensive to live on the east coast they do make more PLUS they didn't move...so houseing extra kids has not made those costs higher PLUS they were doing invitro and such so i think they at least make a very decent living....
#21 of 34 Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 PM

Jon was jobless when the sextuplets were born.

And they used IUI, not IVF - biiiiig difference in cost there.

I also have heard her say (on the episode where she goes to the store while the twins are at kindy & the six are napping) that she doesn't buy milk unless she has a coupon.

I'm sure she spends more than $150 a week.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#22 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildoftheMoon View Post
I found this explanation:
We also do not buy our meat at the grocery store. We buy it in bulk at organic wholesale places.
I'm curious about this....how did you find out about it? I would love to do that w/ meat....thanks!
#23 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 PM

You can google it I think.
The actual place they use is on their website

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#24 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 10:11 PM

CHildofthemoon doesn't have a website listed under her name???
#25 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Also, from watching the latest episodes, they say they eat a mostly organic diet. Which means with growing kids I'm surei ts getting harder, and this economy, so they have probably started to choose their organics wisely and get regular on other things.
#26 of 34 Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 PM

They showed an episode where the family went to a local organic farm and purchased a side or some enormous amount of beef, which may make it cheaper.
#27 of 34 Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 AM

I don't know about them, but we bought 1/2 an organic beef cow earlier this year and paid somewhere around $3/lb for it. I can't remember the exact price. Might have been $3.50. I think that was finished price, not hanging weight price. I don't know anywhere you can buy a cut of organic beef that cheap, not even ground beef.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#28 of 34 Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
I don't know about them, but we bought 1/2 an organic beef cow earlier this year and paid somewhere around $3/lb for it. I can't remember the exact price. Might have been $3.50. I think that was finished price, not hanging weight price. I don't know anywhere you can buy a cut of organic beef that cheap, not even ground beef.
We buy beef on the hoof and you can get cheaper organic, but it's not going to be certified organic, probably. According to our CSA director, to be certified, you have to do testing and do a lot of other little things like post that random spraying in the area is not allowed. The person who raises our beef lives on a 50 acre farm in the middle of nowhere, and while they are not certified, they are friends and they tell us that they don't give their cows anything other than good old country grass.

What I'm saying is that you may not be able to find certified organic, but if you have someone you trust who follows organic raising, you can get it much cheaper. Ours was $1.70 - $1.80 (I'd have to look up the receipts again) after processing and I consider it organic... just not certified.

Maybe that's what Jon and Kate are doing to keep prices lower... using organic foods that are not certified organic.
#29 of 34 Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 PM

On that farm episod they paid $900.00 for a side of beef

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#30 of 34 Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mommykood, thanks for the link to Country Life bulk foods. That site looks great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page