how much do you recieve in food stamps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe this is too personal a question, I'm just wondering what our government thinks is fair and how much you have to supplement to actually have enough food to feed your family.
I have been on bedrest since december with no disability or anything so we have applied for food stamps. They are giving us $130 a month for a family of 3, which is like 1 really good shopping trip and maybe 1 other supplimental trip defininately not enough to feed a pregnant lady a 6 year old and my huge hungry husband. It does help so dont mean to complain. My worker said the amount would go up once baby was born, anyone have any idea how much?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 04:00 PM

I don't get foodstamps, but I think that seems like a reasonable amount, since it's not expected to cover all food. FWIW, I feed my family of 6 on less than $350 a month, and my 2 oldest eat more than DH and I. We also go through a gallon of milk a day, which is $90 of the above budget. But we do stockpile things free/on sale which helps a lot.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Your foodstamp amount depends on a number of variables. If you have income, if you have 'savings' how many people are in your home etc. I asked a friend of ours how much she recieves. She is a single mom to one child, NO income at all... they recieve $280 month but again remember they have NO INCOME so while thier food costs are covered they still have to beg/borrow/plead for $$ for other bills.

I dont know if the foodstamp amount is set by the national government or at the state level.

If you are pregnant do you qualify for WIC?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
$180 for a family of 3 here.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 04-13-2008, 04:50 PM

300 for two, but I don't have much income at all.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes i do get wic. heard they have totally revamped the system to include more fresh fruits and vegies and soy
but it may take 18 months for us to see the changes. We dont drink cows milk or juice or eat eggs but since I have been pregnant and need high protien snacks i have been eating the eggs, still cant go through a whole carton before they go bad. I dont even get the milk and juice i send into my daughters school for snack time.
Every little bit helps
Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM

237 for two. My state doesn't care how much you have in savings if your child is under 18yrs of age. they take in acct childcare cost, rent also if you pay your own bills.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:14 PM

We're off now, but we used to get about $235 for a family of 5. Only dh worked (still that way, but he got a big raise).

I think it can depend on the worker too, because when we had a different worker, we only got about $80. When we got a new one, she asked why we weren't getting Medicaid, and I said it was because we paid our own health insurance. She then asked for the paperwork for that, and somehow it made our FS go way up.

You do have to remember that the amount of FS they give you is only supposed to supplement your budget, not cover all food expenses. Unless you family has some really tough times. For example, when dh lost his job 4 days before my scheduled c section, they gave us the full amount of the USDA's 'Thrifty' plan. That is the max they will ever give you. It then goes down depending on how much income you have.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM

$300 for a family of two - but right now none as I need to go recertify for them.

It's enough to feed a family of 4 for us - we share food with my parents who in turn share non-food items with us. I do coupon shop heavily to stretch it though.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM

u can always freeze the eggs
http://www.ochef.com/56.htm
eggs should last 4-5 weeks after u bought them depending how fresh they were when u purchased them..

i dont receive food stamps so i dont know ne thing bout that.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM

DH and I separated back in 2002 and for myself and two small children I received $385 a month n foodstamps. That and WIC was the only assistance I was on. I was suppose to recive $650 a month in child support but I never got the full amount.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When dh and I were seperated I had my 3 children plus my youngest brother who receives SSI. I was unemployed for 4 months and only had child support and money from my brother. We got $365 a month in fs. When I got a job making a whopping $10,000 per year the amount dropped to less then $100. When my brother moved out (still employed, still had my 3 dc) the amount went to $180.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Several years ago when it was my husband and me (no kids) we got $60 a week. I think our income was somewhere around $12K a year at that time.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Off my base pay (that's with no OT) I would probably receive about $300 a month. But since I work so many extra hours I don't qualify.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hockey Mom- how do you do it $350 for 6 people?

There are definitely weeks where I would have like $35-40 to feed us for the week, I'd go to super wallmart and we'd live off pancakes, beans and rice, with very few fresh fruits or vegies. we survived but were definately not well nourished. Thank goodness for free breakfast at school and 40 cent school lunches for dd. glad to see the $2 meal thread as we'll be needing that.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM

When we used to get them we got 375 a month for 2 adults and a baby. Since then I know the government made it harder to qualify or something so I don't know what it would be now.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think your grocery bill just depends on where you live. I spend $250 a month on food but I only buy one gallon of milk a week. I'm only spending $12 a month on milk.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 AM

food stamps.

when we were a family of 5 (well 4 + a tiny infant), dh unemployed, we got $450-ish. when dh got a min-wage job, they downed it to around $230/mo.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM

It really varies from place to place. We are 7, and were getting $450ish/month until recently. I got approved for disability (so income went up a little), and it went down to ~$225/month. However, I looked into moving to the next state (five minutes from here, just across the river) and according to THEIR online calculator we'd only get $45/month there. Go figure.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

How do i find this online calculator for NC, any ideas?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

The reason it is so low is because it's a subsidy - it's not intended to feed your family for the WHOLE month. In some cases, yes, it does (for instance, single mom in school or on bedrest). But I think in your case since your husband can work, then it's not intended to purchase 100% of your groceries.

When my parents divorced and my mother was on stamps for us I remember we got roughly $90/person - there were 4 of us and we got just under $400/month. It was so much more than what we really needed to buy food that my mother would sometimes sell some of them so we could buy toilet paper and shampoo, etc. (paper stamps, so this was WAY back in the day).
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastamama View Post
How do i find this online calculator for NC, any ideas?
Here is a chart for NC, might give you some idea.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks superstella!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 PM

We have a HUGE freezer, and stock up on meats/breads when on sale. So for example, when I can get fresh ground chicken or turkey or skinless chicken breasts for less than $1.80/lb, we buy about 40 # Or cheese for $1 for a 2 cup bag - we'll buy 20. The whole wheat white bread goes on sale for $1 every 2 months, and we'll buy 20 loaves. I've also got a lot of lunchmeat very cheap lately - great for picnic lunches on the weekends. With coupons, frozen veggies have been cheap - 25-50 cents for a bag/box large enough for one meal. We rarely pay much for toothpaste and cleaning supplies, and we use homemade cloth "napkins" for cleaning, noses, diaper wipes, etc - pretty much anything you'd use disposable papers for (Except TP, can't get the family to convert). We also use mainly cloth diapers for the little one.

We can get LARGE containers of oatmeal, maybe 32 oz, for $2 every few weeks. I also coupon like crazy - and sometimes am OK with having boxed meals - hamburger helper, muffins, etc. We've got a lot of cereal extremely cheap lately. We stockpile like mad, and very rarely buy something not on sale or clearanced.

We also have a small garden with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cilantro in the summer to supplement fresh veggies. I've been lucky that the produce at our local grocery lasts a long time in my fridge - so I can buy items on sale and they will keep for 2-3 weeks.

My kids will drink only milk or juice, and the juice is watered down at least 50% and is always 100% juice. They can't really tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastamama View Post
Hockey Mom- how do you do it $350 for 6 people?

There are definitely weeks where I would have like $35-40 to feed us for the week, I'd go to super wallmart and we'd live off pancakes, beans and rice, with very few fresh fruits or vegies. we survived but were definately not well nourished. Thank goodness for free breakfast at school and 40 cent school lunches for dd. glad to see the $2 meal thread as we'll be needing that.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 PM

We are 2 adults + 2 children + $0 income, In Texas = $542 per month in Food Stamps. This would be a great amount for just the 4 of us BUT were lost our jobs, house, ect and have moved into the spare room with relatives so we pay our share by purchasing the food for the whole household with our FS. This means that the $542 has to feed us 4 + 3 more adults, 7 Total. By the 20th or 25th of the month it starts to get pretty bare in the kitchen.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Red

If you are allergic to dairy, they give you less milk (still some, but less) and more juice, etc.

violet9999, the reason it gets bare is because what you are doing is illegal. At least where I live. One of the questions they ask is if you prepare your own meals, seperate from everyone else. That benefit isn't meant to feed 7.

Years ago, mine went DOWN when I'd get a foster child. The money I got to care for the child counted as household money.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

violet9999, the reason it gets bare is because what you are doing is illegal. At least where I live. One of the questions they ask is if you prepare your own meals, seperate from everyone else. That benefit isn't meant to feed 7.

Years ago, mine went DOWN when I'd get a foster child. The money I got to care for the child counted as household money.
I think that what should be illegal is the state failing to assist a family that is so desperately in need.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:07 PM

I understand that it is illegal and not intended for 7 people but it is a risk that I am willing to take to keep a roof over our heads. We don't have any other options and are desperate to find work and get back on our feet. The relatives that we are staying with can't pay for the extra expense of 4 extra people staying in the house without us contributing what we can. And at this point our FS benefits are the only kind of currency we have to work with. I wish we didn't have to resort to this but - desperate times call for desperate measures
Old 04-19-2008, 01:43 AM

edited out personal info

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 04-19-2008, 02:01 AM

Family of 5, about 500/month.

It should be higher since my income is less than half what it was a couple of months ago, but I'll cuss out that bridge when I get to it. The amount you're supposed to get is a state-by-state and sometimes caseworker-by-caseworker thing.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

User Tag List