Forum Jump: 

#91 of 93 Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
We think/talk about this a bunch.

Things people can still get rid of: (Not necessarily saying "you" but in general)

Television, cell phones, INTERNET, gym memberships, extracurriculars....

We got rid of cable and cell phones and save $140/month. If we decide to do away with our second (paid off) vehicle, we will save $30/month in insurance alone...
I've not had a TV in about 4.5 years, and I hadn't had cable for about 5 years before that. I only have a cell phone because I have a long commute. I have a prepaid Tracfone that I put $20 on every 2-3 months or so. I'd cut back elsewhere before I got rid of my DSL! I have very few things I can actually get rid of, aside from really watching the grocery bill and eating out (which to me is a local sub shop). I've consciously cut back over a few years, and now only have about $3800 remaining in debt (car loan). My goal is to pay that off and build up savings.

lady.gif
#92 of 93 Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Yes, I know. And we have multiple financial/global pressures on us now, too.

I'm really not trying to be all "gloom and doom." But sticking our heads in the sand won't help, either. Major earthquakes often happen........where they happened before. Same with economic crises. We can't count on "little tremors" (recessions) staying little forever.
But my point is - some of those things CAN be changed now, before they lead to a massive recession like the 30's. Like tariffs on EXPORTS and taxes can be reduced. Tariffs on IMPORTS can be increased. NAFTA can be repealed....
#93 of 93 Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
and, just for the record, let me point out that it was a Democratic president (FDR) who instituted the "New Deal" programs of the FDIC, WPA, Social Security, etc. And our recent Republican presidents have done their darndest to weaken social programs, particularly social security. Just keep that in mind when you're voting.

And I'm not so sure that SS is a Great Deal. And it's certainly an Old Deal now....I'm paying out 7.5% of my earnings for money that I may never see again...and they continue to raise the "retirement age" and I get no say in the new terms. How is that fair?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page