Our grocery store has decided to start charging for bags - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My thoguths are if you purchase a few bags (cloth) you are saving huge, esp if the grocery store shages for bags whihc i personaly think they all should, its huge waste, most people dont reuse them. Its great to reuse them for trash but, we barely use any trash bags here, we compost and recycle and it doesn't leave much for the actual trash can.
it's not hard or expensive to start composting and you cna do it anywhere.
I take my own bags everywhere i go shopping and it's not hard to remember them as long as you make it a routine, i shop, fold my bags back up put them with the car keys and driop them in the car the next time i go anywhere. now i just need to get a second set for my husbands car and we will be all set.
Its really for the better of the world and buying the stores cloth bags or paper will not really cost much in the gran scheme of things.
#32 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM

usually grocery stores have lots of cardboard boxes lying around. some even stack them by the checkouts like costco. if you see someone restocking, just grab one or two as you are going around the store and use those to get the stuff out to your car. it's no more waste, as they had the box anyway. and they shouldn't charge you for that.
#33 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM

About time!

It might be a temporary hardship for some, but in the long run it's going to make a huge difference in our world and our children's world.

In the past I've given away some canvas bags to people to get them started in the process of changing their habits. Some get it, some don't. But we will all need to soon regardless if we like it or not. This world is going to be a very different place in the years to come!

OP? Would you mind telling me the name of the store and it's location? I am working with my local grocery store currently and have posted some signs with their name and blessing on them indicating the possible change to "charge for plastic." I would love to give them some more encouragement in the process! TIA.
#34 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again, Just to clarify, they don't use plastic at my store. They use only paper. They do have tiny plastic bags to wrap your ice cream and cheese in water so it doesn't leak all over the place.

My town is thinking of banning plastic bags outright.

I do have an IKEA bag from my mom and I'll start using that too.

The store is Cid's food market in Taos, NM. Julia Roberts references it on Oprah.
#35 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 PM

We just bring a bunch of canvas bags with us. Lucky for us, dh and I both went to lots of trade shows for our jobs (pre-kids), where they used to give out stuff galore, including those bags. For some reason we saved almost all of them, and now we're really glad!

But our grocery stores also sell them, usually for $.99 or less a piece.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#36 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 PM

Our grocery store (co-op) is stopping plastic bags as of Earth Day (next week). They will have a bag tree where people can borrow bags if they forget one, and they already have a good system for storing boxes so people can use them for groceries.

They have a US-made supplier of canvas bags that they're selling very cheap, $4.99/bag regular and $3.99/bag special this month. I have picked up a bunch of canvas bags at yardsales, etc, which I've been using for years.

I can't bring myself to ask for a new paper bag at our co-op anymore. LOL. Which makes it difficult for me because I use them for recycling (over and over, but eventually they break). I need a paper-bag-sized permanent solution for my recycling - I was even toying with the idea of buying a half-dozen plastic wastebaskets to use over and over instead of paper grocery bags. I'm not sure I want to "invest in" new plastic, though. What is an (environmentally conscious) girl to do?

Count me among those who think they should charge you to use a bag. I think that sends a much stronger message, and is more appropriate, than rewarding people for using cloth. The cashiers never remember to credit my cloth because I'm still bagging when I'm done paying.

When I lived in Finland 15 years ago, everyone used reusable bags. They charged for new bags in the store. It was the first I'd ever encountered that. They had these wonderful nylon bags that fold very small and the bottom folds in half like a little leatherette purse and zips shut around the bag, so you have a wallet-sized thing to carry around that zips open to grocery-bag sized. Very smart. Wish we could get them here.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#37 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 PM

You girls have inspired me to go NO PLASTIC!! I don't think we can go 100% right away but starting tonight we're going to use as much canvas as we can find!
#38 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 PM

I, too, am sorry you're feeling the pinch ... but I'm glad stores are doing this. They've done this in parts of the UK, as well as Ireland, for awhile now with very good results.

I stopped lining our kitchen trash can with plastic bags and just dump it in the dumpster outside, no bag, to avoid the cost when possible. And for grocery bags, I use re-usable cloth bags... yes, an expense but one that isn't recurring. They pay for themselves in no time. Boxes work too, in a pinch, and stores will give those for free many times... just ask the store manager if he'll set a few aside for you next delivery day.
#39 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Glad to hear that, hopefully it gets more people into reusable bags. Our Commissary just started selling them for .79 and we bought some. We use them every time, but have only seen 1 other person using them there. I wish more people were doing it too because of they strange looks we get! We used them in Target the other night and the cashier stuck them in a plastic bag. She was still scratching her head confused when we told her that no we wanted the stuff in those bags.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#40 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 PM

I love the plastic tub idea, I am actually purchasing my bags, my local store is offering canvas bags for the great price of .99 a piece, I am going to buy 10. I already have a huge one that I love for using. The plastic tub just seems so practical and easy to use, except lots of times I have dog food or other stuff in the bottom of the cart.

I just heard that the city of Seattle is going to start having stores charge for bags, but IDk if they've implemented that yet.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#41 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 PM

I wish that they charged for bags here. I bring my own bags. If I don't, then I make sure to only buy enough that I can carry. I will not go home with a disposable bag.
#42 of 54 Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Our city is going to start having stores charge .20 a bag! I think it's great. I have a collection of totes, from thrift stores, freebies, and some I bought (TJ's has them for .99). I keep several in the car at all times.

Now, I hear you on the bags for garbage though! I have never bought garbage bags! All our garbage cans are small enough to use the store ones, and I have shopped so seldom that I'm almost out.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#43 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 AM

Sorry...I think this is great. It would definitley remind me to bring my cloth bags.
#44 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm in favor of this 100% but I do understand the pinch you are feeling. A while back when I had a few extra dollars I went in on a chico bag co-op and they really have paid for themselves. I keep them all attached to a carabiner in my coat closet with the infant carseat and the diaper bag and I just clip them to the diaper bag when I am walking out the door. When we get in the store I clip the 'biner to the cart and hand them to the cashier when we get to the register. Because chico bags fold up so tiny in their own little pouch I always keep one in the diaper bag for regular shopping so I NEVER get plastic bags unless I absolutely mean to. I use them for the cat litter so once in a while I do want some. But it is so easy to use the reusable bags. I LOVE the idea of a big basket or rubbermaid container for the groceries. Seems easier to carry in and put away than multiple bags.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#45 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is the most popular thread I've ever started

I'm putting old milk crates in my trunk today!
#46 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 07:07 PM

That's fantastic!!!!!!!!:
#47 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Some people do not have the money or the ability to find reusable bags.

Hanging next to the checkout for 99 cents.

It is a false economy to believe that shooping bags are free. They cost, a lot.
#48 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
Is there an Ikea near you? They have awesome reusable bag for 59 cent and they're HUGE. I can pack over a weeks groceries in two.
I second this idea! They can hold a lot of groceries, and the shoulder straps are nice. I also use them for carrying laundry from the dryer to my closet. We have 4 and I'm constantly using them for all sorts of things.
#49 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM

I wanted to post about boxes, but it looks like others had the same idea.

If you do ever forget your bag, be sure to ask for a box. It would even be nice to do if you do bring bags. Most likely all those boxes are being thrown out, or maybe recycled. But really, the best option is for them to be reused! You might be the one who get the store to get even greener!

:
#50 of 54 Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM

a store i used to shop at in new zealand charged for bags,but you packed your own bags and boxes leftove from stock were free
#51 of 54 Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Some people do not have the money or the ability to find reusable bags.
Just about any bag is a reusable bag.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#52 of 54 Old 04-19-2008, 12:56 PM

We all realize that any bag can be a re-usable bag; I think what people are saying is that some weeks, the 50cents-$1.00 can be another grocery item.

I got many, many bags free just by putting out the word that I was looking for some. My mom, in particular had scads of canvas bags sitting around that she had gotten as premiums or giveaways. She was thrilled to be rid of them, and I now have enough of a collection that I give some away to others.
#53 of 54 Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM

I have reusable bags, but if my store were doing this (and I wish they would), I would immediately stash a bunch of used plastic bags (from Target, food stores, wherever....I have lots of these under my sink for garbage and dog poop) in my car. I almost always remember my canvas bags, but I would have these plastic bags for backup. I'd scrunch up a bunch and have a couple dozen available all the time--no chance of not having a bag. So that is my tip for people who really can't afford to pay for bags if they forget theirs (that is if you have a car, of course!).
#54 of 54 Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle283 View Post
Glad to hear that, hopefully it gets more people into reusable bags. Our Commissary just started selling them for .79 and we bought some. We use them every time, but have only seen 1 other person using them there. I wish more people were doing it too because of they strange looks we get! We used them in Target the other night and the cashier stuck them in a plastic bag. She was still scratching her head confused when we told her that no we wanted the stuff in those bags.
For a long time, I was the only person using reusable bags (Chicobags) in my commissary. I got a ton of stares and at first the baggers were reluctant until they saw how much the Chicobags could hold. They love them now! The Chicobags are a great conversation starter too-I've had several people come up to me and ask me about them. Now that the commissary is offering the reusable bags, I'm noticing more and more people using them and I think it's great!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page