Help me feel good about moving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Basically we screwed up and we are trying to make it right. It just feels bad. About 2 years ago we agreed to buy my IL's house. They had already moved and with twin 5 month olds we thrilled at the idea of upgrading to a nicer neighborhood. So we move in without buying and put our house on the market. Well, it didn't sell and if we reduced the price too low, we couldn't afford to give my IL's what we agreed to pay for their house. So we rented out our original house to pay that mortgage and then paid about the same to my IL's to pay their mortgage in hope that the market would turn around.

But it hasn't so now we are going to move back to our old house so they can sell this one. I'm just so sad. I love this neighborhood and there a lots of people on the street with little ones. Our old neighborhood is only a few streets away but it is like a different world. It is a good finacial decision but I feel like such a failure. I am dreading facing my neighbors when they see us moving out. I know I should be grateful that we have a place to go as so many people are losing their homes completely. We just bit off more than we could chew. It's not so bad, right?

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#2 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM

#3 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM

That is really too bad you have to give up the nicer neighborhood.

I think your instinct to count your blessings is a very good one. You do have a place to go in a time when so very many do not. That is pretty huge.
#4 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargirl View Post
That is really too bad you have to give up the nicer neighborhood.

I think your instinct to count your blessings is a very good one. You do have a place to go in a time when so very many do not. That is pretty huge.
Thank you - I need to remind myself that this is far from a tragic situation. It is just a blip in the road. We will have a place to live that we can reasonable afford. If we stay here. Even if we could stay here, we would be stretched past our limits and that would not be good. We have been through much worse and we can certainly get past this. I don't always deal rationally with disappointment and this is hitting me at my insecure, I'm not good enough to something nice in my life level, if that makes any sense.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#5 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Aww, you poor thing. I know that feeling. Like nothing good lasts cause we don't deserve it... so not true. Life just has its ebbs and flows and we just need to focus on the good stuff and keep on paddling.
#6 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM

We're in a similar situation, but what I feel bad about is not helping my parents out in this bad real estate market if we move. We moved from Austin to Dallas because we wanted to be nearer to our parents (who had previously moved from Memphis to Dallas to be near us, then we moved to Austin). Anyway, they were trying to sell 2 of their rental homes because they'd had really lousy luck with tenants and were just tired of being landlords (they're nice people and it's hard when you're nice but get taken advantage of). So, we moved into one of the houses while it was on the market. My dad also had been laid off almost a year without finding a job at this point. So, it was a very *good* thing to have the rent coming from us for the house we're in.

Well, fast forward to now, neither house sold, they rented out the other one, we're still in this one, and DH and I have decided we like Austin a *lot* better than Dallas (we already knew this, we just thought being near family would make Dallas a better location for us). So, we want to move, but I feel terrible. Moving away from my parents again, who want us to be near them and not giving them help on the situation with all the houses.

So, I know a little about how you feel!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page