May Pantry Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 133 Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i made those bean burgers and since i had never had them before it was different. hubby wasn't exactly thrilled but then again he is meat and potatoe guy. we'll eat it again though since it was easy to make with left over kidney beans. the pasta salad was a huge hit though.
#62 of 133 Old 05-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Ok, well.. I'm not doing as well as I should for eating from the pantry but I'm definitely blaming not feeling well as an excuse. DBF bought me chikfila chicken soup for dinner last night and for breakfast this morning he made pancakes.. so that was eating from the pantry. I just finished the baby watermelon he gave me for a snack. Lunch today will be the rest of my chicken soup and some crackers. Dinner tonight will be hotdogs on buns since they're in the fridge and they don't take much effort- I know, not healthy but easy and they were cheap and we like them occasionally.
Have a great Sunday everyone.
#63 of 133 Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 PM

breakfast was eggs, toast and sausage
lunch was ramon, tuna sandwich and chips
dinner i am going to a tasting party and then after church joe will make spaghetti.
#64 of 133 Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sunday:
Breakfast, cereal and bananas
Lunch special treat, afternoon at mcdonalds :
Dinner Pizza and salad

Monday:
Breakfast Waffles
Lunch: Leftovers
Dinner: Lasagana and Garlic Bread and salad
#65 of 133 Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 PM

I can't even remember what we ate yesterday, but it was all from home.

Today the kids and dh had cereal and fruit for breakfast, I had frozen waffles.
Lunch was leftovers, lemon spaghetti, veggies and chicken. Dinner was at the IL's.

Tomorrow dinner is Eggplant Parmesan from the freezer. Breakfast and Lunch will be something simple from the fridge or pantry.
#66 of 133 Old 05-04-2008, 11:44 PM

Today was a sort of success.

We got Costco pizza for dinner.
But, breakfast was:
- Fried green tomatoes from the freezer
- English muffins
- Eggs

We packed lunch on our field trip:
- Crackers, cheese
- Oranges and grapes
- Water for the adults, Juice box for DD

And for bedtime snack DD finished up the last of the ice cream. I really want to work on our freezers. We've got some OLD stuff in there.

Tomorrow, I'm having beans and rice for lunch, from the freezer.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#67 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm joining in. I've been trying to use what we have and curb unnecessary shopping. We didn't do much grocery shopping last week but it was okay, we weren't starving because I was using what we had wisely.

As for the smoked turkey drumsticks - my aunt makes a tasty meal with it. She cooks some stewing beef on the stovetop, then adds cooked sausage and smoked turkey drumsticks to it. She takes a large ovenproof dish, lines it with cooked rice, then layers on the meat mixture and it's sauce, sauerkraut (that has been mixed with shredded fresh cabbage and left to sit together for awhile), and sour cream. She cooks it in the oven for an hour at 350oC. Delicious!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#68 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 01:39 AM

I'd totally forgotten about this thread! I forgot to sub and I must have been sleepy when I posted initially Or it's just pregnancy brain, who knows!

Anyway, glad to see everyone doing well with this.

This week my goals are to use more of the 20lb bag of basmati rice I have. I want to make briyani and maybe some chana masala. I have one large can of chickpeas in there, and tons of canned tomatoes. I have some fresh spinach that really needs to be used, the sooner the better, so I should probably plan on cooking that tomorrow.

I also want to make something with my cornmeal. I was thinking a black bean and polenta casserole.

Not sure what else yet, need to do a thorough inventory.
#69 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM

What a great thread! I have been shopping very miniminly the past 2 weeks due to budget and am continuing to use what we have until our pantry looks bare, lol. Honestly I am not sure what is on the menu this week but tonight my dad called and is bringing ribs, so I am making homemade french fries and onion rings (pregnancy fried food craving here) and homemade bread and prob. mac and cheese from the pantry for the kids. I will be checking back in with my plan here soon.
#70 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM

Well I am going to the store today, but most of our dinner will be from the pantry/freezer, yesterday it ALL was from the pantry and freezer. Breakfast was sausage, pancakes, o.j., lunch we snacked on leftover 7 layer dip, and dinner was pork chops with gravy, stuffing and peas.

Tonight we are having, salmon with mango salsa(I have to buy a mango, they are on sale though) apricot couscous, steamed broccoli, salad. DD and I will eat leftovers for lunch.

We have so much food I really don't need to go shopping, but we need perishables and I have to go to the store regardless as I am helping a friend keep her homemade salsa stocked at the store while she's gone. Plus I will make a little money from it.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#71 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 12:14 PM

todays plan
breakfast pumpkin pancakes they were fab. i froze some too.
lunch tuna for me and pb&j for haven
dinner hubby won't be home till real late so i am making shells and marina sauce.
#72 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM

I'm back and eating from the pantry again today. I skipped breakfast since I still don't feel well and didn't really get out of bed til 10:30. I had grilled cheese sandwiches and orange juice for lunch. I don't know what dinner will be, but probably pasta and sauce since it's here and easy to make.. although I have a couple of frozen dinners I could eat as well.. we'll see what I feel like when the time comes. Eating alone so it won't matter much.
#73 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
cjr

I'm here and I'm staying until the end.

Two years of coop shopping has left us with an abundance of stores, but I still seem to overspend on grocheries each month. Not this month. I did our usual grochery spree two weeks ago, and since then I have done minimal shopping.

Cooked a chicken that was in the freezer on Friday, ate that with some fresh peas in the fridge. Saturday was Salmon with pasta and peas. Last night we weren't home. Tonight it's chicken enchiladas with left over roast chicken (made one for tonight and one for the freezer) with the rest of the spinach and strawberry vinaigrette. Chicken soup is on the stove for tomorrows dinner along with cheddar cheese muffins that I made today. Did some baking today and made muffins and gingerbread for lunch boxes this week. Chicken stock is on the stove with the celery and onions that froze in my fridge, and will go in the freezer.

So far I'm doing good. I have not done any food shopping in a week.
#74 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 PM

keep up the good work! i was going to get milk and eggs but mil bought me some while shopping today since i said i was low. i am thrilled that i saved about $5 and a visit to the store.
#75 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 09:34 PM

So far, so good here. I have bought a few fresh vegetables for dinner (zucchini, tomato, avocado, and carrots), some fruit for DS (pears, strawberries, bananas, which were all on sale), organic milk & eggs, and some lunch meat I found on super sale (the hormel natural choice kind). We are stocked! I think I have stuff to last a long while but I don't mind going to the store for an ingredient here or there for a dinner.

Does anyone else have a problem and keep buying food? Even though our freezers are STUFFED and our pantry full, I still am a sucker for good foods on sale! Really, it's bad! Same with ordering from the co-op! I don't know why I keep buying it. I think part of it is having a safety of plenty of food here (DH's job is one where he could be let go at any time) and partly me being cheap and finding deals. Am I the only one?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#76 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
cjr

Quote:
Does anyone else have a problem and keep buying food? Even though our freezers are STUFFED and our pantry full, I still am a sucker for good foods on sale!
Right there with ya! We have tons of food. My coop bill was $1000 every two months. Plus what I was spending in between. If it's on sale I don't just need one, I need four. Costco had frozen blueberries on sale. 2kg $5 off. I bought 4 and they will last two months for sure eating them very often. I am a sucker for frozen berries/fruits and veggies though. They are great to have for these pantry challenge months.

What I'm bad for is finding great looking recipies I want to try. Usually after our big shopping trip. Then I end up spending way more then my budget has allowed. I am trying really hard to keep things simple.
#77 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM

I'm totally in. I work really hard every week to menu plan and only buy what is absolutely necessary, so using up what is in my pantry is a great goal for us. I'm looking forward to chatting and saving w/ you mamas!

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#78 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Well I knew that I was going to have to go on a big shop today, and I did, but I got a ton of stuff that will last weeks. I will of course have to get some veggies next week, but that's totally normal. I have already said it, but I am in a live off the pantry while stocking it up phase. I too cannot pass up a good deal, I am a food hoarder. I guess it's better than shopping for clothes or something else, at least my family will be fed. I had to buy those few large purchase items today, DH gets a case of energy drinks every month, I buy them by the case and we save over .70 a can, so it's fine with me to do once a month. We are really stocked up for the week, I pretty much have to go to the store once a week, but that's about it.

#79 of 133 Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 PM

We're eating out of the pantry for most of the meals today, I had cereal and milk for breakfast and dinner will be a roast I had in the freezer. I have veggies to go with it. We are going to the store today for bread, rolls and potatoes. That's it. Shouldn't need to go again after today for at least a week. Don't expect to spend more than $10.
#80 of 133 Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Keep up the good work mom's....
#81 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 AM

Tonight was "Random Leftover Night."

I had a slice of pizza and 3 large raviolis.
DH had rice with stirfried veggies.
DD got new stuff - chicken nuggets - and grapes.

The fridge is still a mess, however.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#82 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
If anyone has any ideas for the tomato soup it would be appreciated.
My mom used to make Tomato Soup Cake. Seriously. It tastes a bit different than a regular cake, but not "off". You would never know that's what was in it unless you were told. Just like some kind of flavourful spice cake with raisins. I imagine you could Google for a recipe.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#83 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Yesterday got switched around a little bit. My mom invited a couple girlfriends over for lunch, so I made them chicken enchiladas with a bunch of chicken I had frozen leftover from fajitas the other night. That made enough to use for leftovers for dinner when combined with the leftover eggplant parmesan from the night before. So the spinach manicotti was going to be pushed back to tonight. But, my girlfriend brought over greek meatloaf for tonight, so the manicotti is staying in the freezer.

Still no trips to the store and everything is from the pantry!
#84 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Actually I had thought of making a cake with the soup, I've made the same spice cake, it comes out of the old school JOC book. Well we are doing really well with eating from the pantry even though I did do a big shopping trip this week. Tonight it's Greek chicken wraps with hummus and chicken from the freezer, tomorrow some of that same chicken will go toward Cobb salad. Everything to make the wraps is stuff that we have and that needs to be used up. I always buy these hummuses from the store that are half price and put them in the freezer, they work so well. I've got the chicken marinating in balsalmic vinagerette and am making a olive cream cheese to go in the filling, which I actually should get busy doing. I've never made these, so we'll see, I just made it up, and we'll have a yummy salad with it.

We have been doing really well.

#85 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Still eating from the pantry/freezer. Breakfast was eaten out today but my DBF was treating me so I couldn't say no
Lunch was leftover pasta and dinner tonight will be hamburgers with mashed potatoes and a frozen veggie.
#86 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Rye flour - what do I do with this??

I have one full package (1lb. 6oz) of Bob's Red Mill light rye flour, and one of dark rye flour. I remember when I bought them I got both because I wasn't sure which to get, but I have no recollection of WHY I bought them.

Recipes?? Thanks!
#87 of 133 Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM

We are still doing good here. I think I may need to hit the store this week some time though. We are out of yogurt and DS is asking for it. We also need mustard! I may just send DH for it on his way home form the store as he is very good at only buying those and no extras like I tend to do.

#88 of 133 Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm very excited to do this but feel kind of unorganized and uninspired. I need to either pull everything out of the cupboards and pantry or write it all down so I can "see" my ingredients. I find I hunt around aimlessly and then decide I'm not in the mood for anything (which is probably why it's sitting in the cupboards still!) and end up purchasing. Must! Break! Habit!

Using up some fridge stuff is easier. I'm making paninis tonight: turkey, red onion, spinach leaves, swiss cheese and sliced tomato.

I have small amounts of frozen things that don't amount to much, also: gnocchi, raviolis, etc. I might have to have a "Pick A Pasta" night with all the odds and ends plus gravies to go with them.

I have far too much rice in this house. Holy Moley! Rice and beans for everybody!
#89 of 133 Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM

i've been to the store but mostly for fruit, veggies, milk, eggs and bread. mil went shopping and bought a bunch of stuff to fill my pantry. since i amde mention we were eating out the pantry she thought we had no money for groceries. yay for us though now i have more to work with.

today we made pumpkin muffins again. i put sprinkles on since haven thinks they are great.
i plan on making more pumpkin pancakes and freezing them. they heat up real nice on the griddle.
for lunch we will be having egg salad and pb&j
dinner is beef stew with rice
#90 of 133 Old 05-08-2008, 03:28 PM

I just made lasagna for our dinner tonight (have to fix it while the kids are napping) so that used up some things in the freezer (homemade sauce, meat, onion), fridge (cheese), and the pantry (noodles).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page