May Pantry Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone up for a pantry challenge?
I have several bits and pieces to use up and need support...

Today for lunch DH and ate the last of the lettuce, it was getting 'weak' and i found some candy in christmas wrappers so we all had that as a treat.

My goal items are boxes and boxes of jello, 1 frozen ham, probably 25 cups of yogurt, canned veggies, and boxed potatoes.
#2 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM

is this where we live off our pantry? i have been eating tuna everyday. i gotta figure out what to do with kidney beans.
#3 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceycat24 View Post
is this where we live off our pantry? i have been eating tuna everyday. i gotta figure out what to do with kidney beans.
Yes, i know we have posted for no spend months and this is a spin off of those. Meaning you work with what is in your pantry/freeze/etc as much as possible. We also share tips for dealing with that 'lonely can of x' etc.

I need to work on my stockpile rotation and i also have some 'cans of x' to deal with.

We are working on cutting down our grocery bill and taking a look at what we really eat on a regular basis.
#4 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM

I am totally in! I started meal planning last week and starting really looking into my pantry to base my meals off of as much as possible. I only need a few things for meals last week.

This week I am struggling with getting the meal planning done, but working on it.

So this will help me keep on track!
#5 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM

Ooooh, I should join in too.

I add kidney beans to pasta salad. Somehow they are more exciting when covered in italian dressing and surrounded by pasta, cubes of cheese, and assorted leftover produce.
#6 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM

i could make that all i need is cheese and dressing which aren't too expensive. i am all in. i will go through and see what needs to be eaten. like i have loads of jelly and peanutbutter so i have been feeding that to dd everyday since she won't eat the tuna.
#7 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM

I could certainly participate. I should have enough food in the fridge, freezer and cupboard to last all month with just needing to add milk and bread. I have plenty of fruit and veggies in the fridge/freezer so that should take care of that.
I need to be in this challenge. Someone grab my hand and pull me in and keep me here.
#8 of 133 Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 PM

Well I have been feeding my pantry so to say, but I do have some annoying things that I could use up. I have 3 boxes of corn muffin mix, maybe a tamale pie or something with that, and this can of tomato soup that has been lingering for awhile, now that I think about it I just saw in one of my cooking mags that there was a recipe for a pasta dish w/ tomato soup...hmmmm. I saw someone needed an idea for kidney beans, I put them in my tacos, yum and DD loves beans, plus it can extend the dish to make leftovers(for taco salad). I have been doing quite well with using things in the pantry, dinner tonight is using a few things that need to be used.

If anyone has any ideas for the tomato soup it would be appreciated.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post

If anyone has any ideas for the tomato soup it would be appreciated.
I have been known to use tomato soup as a marinade/gravy for meatloaf. I let the meatloaf soak in the soup for a couple hours then put the whole thing in the oven. The last hr I add potatoes and carrots... so yummy...

Now I have a taste for that... definately in the next couple weeks before it gets too hot here.

You can also do the same concept for stuffed peppers/stuffed cabbage or sloppy joes
#10 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh yes. I've never joined a pantry challenge before, but now is a good time.

I have a couple turkey legs in the freezer that I bought for some unknown reason and have no idea how to prepare! I was thinking of doing a crockpot bbq kind of thing. Does anyone know how to thaw turkey legs? Do I just put them in the fridge overnight? I really don't know how to cook.
#11 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM

Hip gal-I would just thaw the turkey legs in the fridge and maybe brown them before putting them in the crockpot, and then use some bottled BBQ sauce or something like that, maybe chop up some onions to go in it. I have an asian chicken leg recipe that would probably work, I use a teriyaki sauce, chop some red pepper, onion and celery, and add a can of drained baby corn, then put it all in the crockpot for 6 hours on low, OMG this is so yummy.

1growingsprout-that is a great idea for the tomato soup, I have all the stuff for meatloaf or sloppy joes, but I would have to do it in the next few weeks because I already have this week planned. I have to stick with my plan, otherwise I'll screw up my system. Thanks for the idea.

#12 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM

We should do this, we are moving in 1-2 months and it would be better the not move it all. But we dont have much really. so I'll probably do my own version and stop in for direction
#13 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 PM

Haha! I was just coming here to post this very same type of challenge! It's kismet!

I actually rearranged my cabinets last night and took stock of my freezers, fridge, and cabinets this morning. I wrote it all down and I'm using all of it before I go grocery shopping again.

I have a LOT of food, and yet I still grocery shop regularly. Makes no sense!

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#14 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceycat24 View Post
you can make great bean burgers with kidney beans - they hold shape well, and are yummy! Mash the beans, add an egg and some breadcrumbs/wheatgerm/oats for binding, then whatever seasonings you like (I love to do curry powder and some garlic powder) then mix it all up and form into patties. I usually pop them in the freezer after making the patties, for an hour or so to let them firm up, and then either dry fry on my cast iron skillet or pop them on a rack in the oven. You can just keep them in the freezer, too, and use for last minute meals
#15 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 02:33 PM

I'm in on this - just got 15 pounds of ground beef (grass-fed, no hormones or antibiotic beef, for $2.75 a pound in a co-op, woohoo!!) and cleaned out the freezer a bit to make room, and realized I've got a lot of stuff in there that needs to be used. I had to toss a few things (a roast, some chicken quarters) that had been in there for over 2 years I refuse to throw out anything else, it's all going to be USED!
#16 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM

I'm in! I just had twins 5 weeks ago and before they came, I stocked up the pantry and freezer. With the exception of produce, milk, and some chicken, I shouldn't need to buy anything for at the minimum 1 month. But, I enjoy grocery and sometimes go to escape.

So, I made up a meal plan for the month and I intend to stick to it.

Tonight is leftovers!
#17 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM

i also have a bunch of pumpkin pie mix so i think i will make some pumpkin bread too. at least hubby can take that to work with him.

i have a can of black beans any ideas on that one?
#18 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Well a couple weeks ago I made these black bean burgers http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-B...rs/Detail.aspx
I put oats in them instead and changed the spices, but they are really good, DH and DD loved them. Freezing them for 20 minutes really does keep them together.:

#19 of 133 Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM

thanks i will make those and the kidney bean ones. hubby isn't too excited about them but he is more of a meat and potato guy. i also plan on making chili tomorrow night. i made a bunch of rice that i plan on using for fried rice too later this week. i have about four bags of rice. i also found a bunch of elbow noodles so i will be making lots of pasta salad. i will have to buy some meat for some of these meals we are running out in our freezer but still working around the pantry should cut our food budget down so i can pay extra towards a bill.
#20 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 AM

I'm in!

I want to use up some things too. We've got a lot of veggies, especially tomatoes and greens!

I have two smoked turkey drumsticks in the freezer that I'd love to use up. Any ideas?

I think I've got the makings of crab rangoon. That would be fun to try!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#21 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 AM

So tell me the rules here. It sounds interesting. Especially if it reduces my grocery bill.
#22 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 AM

The rules are really up to you!

Some people try to avoid the grocery store all together. Others say "I'll only go for milk and fresh fruit." I really admire the gals who can do that. But DH is the main cook in the house, and I'm not going to get him to not shop.

Also, I'm trying to keep my pantry stocked, but I have some odds and ends that I would like to use up: crab meat, cranberry sauce, beans that are really old, canned pumpkin. And with the gardening season starting, I would like to clear out the freezer as much as possible for the the new crop! And we are trying to eat our home-canned goods from two years ago.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#23 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Ok, so the freezer counts. Yes I like to have fresh fruits and veggies and dairy. I can do this. It's worth a shot.
#24 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Good morning, hello and I hope everyone is ready to go! What are you eating out of your pantry today?
I've been ill with lots of head congestion and sore throat so today I'm eating some of the soup I threw together yesterday- it's more broth than anything but it's hot and savory so it helps. I also cooked up 2 chicken breasts to make the broth so that's got to be eaten today. I'll probably warm those for dinner and make a veggie to go with them.
No store shopping needed today.

Have a good one!
#25 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM

i am making chili with some kidney beans and tomatoes that i bought on sale that were bruised and i am going to put that over rice that i made yesterday. i am trying to avoid shopping till next tues unless i need milk. my freezer is pretty empty so i will have to buy some meat but i am still planning meals around the pantry. hubby was surprising happy about last nights dinner.

for breakfast i had some toast and for lunch i'll make some peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches.
#26 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks for posting this challenge-- I need it!

Today:

*I'll be eating leftover lasagna and bread (for lunch and dinner);

*My husband is being fed lunch by his employer; and has brought a frozen meal for dinner;

*And the kids will eat Annie's mac and cheese for lunch, and pre-cooked chicken/leftover veggies for dinner.

I'm one of those that'll have to keep getting milk and fresh fruit, but other than that, I hope to buy as little as possible!
#27 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Well I may have to go to the store tomorrow because I wanted to make 7 layer dip for a BBQ at my Dad's house, but I have ALL the stuff to make artichoke dip so that probably would be a better thing to make, especially since i literally have everything. So I may just not go tomorrow, and wait until Sat to buy milk and then Monday to do a stockpiling of things that are on sale.

Tonight we will be having PIZZA:...I have already prepped onions, red bell peppers, pineapple and I have frozen ham chunks. So that's all sat, for lunch I am using leftovers, some grilled chicken and rice to make quesadillas. Tomorrow night we are having taco salads with "planned-overs". Meal planning is saving my life.

I wish I could say that I am living off the foods I have here, but again I am in a mode of "stocking up". We just always have feast or famine in our house it seems, so right now DH is super busy and we just had to pay our house payment and taxes, this week has been a little lean. But with meal planning you'd never know, plus I have been sale buying.

My "rules" for the month are :

Shop at home first(I've been doing pretty good with this)
Use up my few funky items(tomato soup, corn bread mix)
Only shop once weekly, and buy only things on sale(except milk, fruits and veggies)
Use meats from the freezer(I still have a caribou sausage that a friend gave us, but it just weirds me out a little)

With the money I save I'd really like to start on my holiday stuff, I'd like to start buying presents for DD for her birthday and Christmas, plus I'd like to find her a nice winter coat that is well made(and cheap). Plus SAVE some money for our new pellet stove and pellets, and be able to go into winter ahead for once.

#28 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm in!! Our budget is SERIOUSLY tight right now and I need to cut back any way I can! We have lots of soups I need to use up. But last night I made pearled barley mushroom risotto. I happened to have a bag of barley that I hadn't used, some mushrooms that needed to be used up and some chicken stock! It was incredible!! Its been 4 days and I haven't been to the store yet!! DC are whining but to bad! We have plenty to eat....just not the crap they want! (Both are teenagers )

Tonight we are having eggplant parmesan because I found some incredible eggplant for a steal at a farmer's market the other day and used the tomato sauce, etc. I had on hand.

Tomorrow night some frozen talapia that has been lurking in the freezer for awhile. I'll make a nice salad and possibly some orzo from a small bag that keeps getting buried in my pantry.

I cook alot and try to keep a well stocked pantry but we waste alot of $$ by not using what we have on hand. That is changing now, though!!!
#29 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

May 1st... not going to the store today..
Breakfast Waffles
Lunch sandwiches- need to use up the bread and deli meat
Dinner - pasta and meatballs with garlic bread (to use up the loaf)

Snacks.. popcorn, canned fruit, dry cereal - kids choice

Friday no plans to go to the store
Breakfast cereal
Lunch Frozen Burritos or Hot Pockets
Dinner Ham and potatoes and veggies

Snacks... popcorn, fruit, dry cereal - kids choice
#30 of 133 Old 05-01-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm in too!

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow, so my goal for today is to inventory what I have in the pantry (or rather just look in there) and plan meals for next week using up the stuff that is in there.

Also I have seven packages of meat in the freezer (four ground hamburger and three ground pork) so I need to stretch those out over the next month...we're going vegetarian for all but those seven meals because:

1. I really want to save money this month and eating veggie = eating cheap for us.

2. DH wants to be a vegetarian (I'm the meat lover in our family)

Thanks for the ground bean burger recipe -- that is going to be on the list.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page