MAY Lower Income Moms thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 05-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that would drive me nuts. i would resubmit but that just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 113 Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 AM

S-Krisitina: I'd resubmit and see if you can get her to write some sort of cover note that she knows they've been submitted before but were lost by someone in the department.

And send me a PM. Mamas should never have to miss a meal to make sure their kids get food in their bellies -- because we all know we would in a second. It makes me cry, just thinking about that. Hopefully, there is a way I can help??

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#93 of 113 Old 05-19-2008, 02:06 AM

Hello! I think this is my first time posting here
DP, DS and I live on my income alone - DP is disabled and gets SS $ but ALL of it goes toward medical stuff - Dr copays, medications, therapy. . .there is none left to even help with rent.
I wish we qualified for food stamps or WIC but we don't because they count all of the $ in the household and don't take into consideration things like medical bills or the fact that nearly 1/2 of my paycheck each month goes to health insurance for the three of us. I have two independent contracting jobs outside of my FT job and I am so tired of this. How do I get out of this? We don't have credit card debt thankfully!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#94 of 113 Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 AM

Joining the thread!

Introducing myself, I guess. Just moved to FL from Buffalo, NY.
Cost of living is so much lower here than where we were, but we're still low income. Right now, we're scraping on a $270/wk paycheck from DH, and I'm still looking for a night job.

Anyhow, I'm kinda glad I found a thread that I can relate to...
#95 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Hi Redifer welcome to the thread and FL. Are you ready for hurricane season yet?

Good update I finally managed to talk to an actual human at DCF yesterday. That turned out to be about the same time my caseworker was finally getting out case cared for. Not only do we have the full month's FS on the card with an increase because of ds we also had the increase from April put on there. There won't be any food worries around here for a while thankfully! In other news dh has been told he will finally be getting paid part of what he is owed for a bunch of work he has done. we aren't sure if the money will actually show up or not as dh turned the guy down for a full time job, but it would take care of a mess we have much quicker then anything else.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#96 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Oh i am soooo happy i came back to MDC. Already i see 3 threads/challanges i need to participate in (next month). This one, pantry challange, no spend challange.

I'm a newly single mom living off of about $300 a month, plus $278 food stamps. I do have a small savings...small now because after my seperation i went nutty and blew the majority of it. I know being a single mom it's nice to have a little cushion incase sh*t ever hits the fan...so i really want to do my best not to blow it all.

Anyway...just saying HI and i look forward to participating!
#97 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Ugh. I haven't been saying much because I felt like we were doing okay, but I'm looking at the finances and we're clearly not. We've gone through a big part of the tax return money we'd hoped to use as an emergency fund in the last couple of months and I feel terrible about that.

Now, DH is going back to school on his way to PA school or (dare I even hope?!?!) Med school. But that means we need daycare. Daycare part time for two kids would eat up 100% of the 'slack' (yeah, right!) in our budget... which doesn't include rising gas prices or food prices. The theory is that daycare would be covered by DH's financial aid. But then, this is the same school that paid him his financial aid for his first semester there two months AFTER his SECOND semester ended. Their incompetence, it is mighty.

We also haven't gotten a renewal notice on our car insurance and he just (Just? WTH?) noticed they haven't been taking out their automatic payment in a couple months. So we need car insurance and of course our rates are going to increase because we've been "uninsured" now. We owe money on my computer, which I bought to do freelance work that disappeared in a puff of economic downturn smoke.

And, the cherry on the crap sundae? My car is dying. It's not dead yet, but it's a progressive sort of thing and if I don't trade it in on something it will be all the way dead and I'll lose any value in it. I don't want to get a new car, and I have no idea where in the budget a car payment is going to fit, along with daycare, insurance, paying off my computer, and money for increasing food and gas costs.

You know what makes this suck even more? I'm making twice what my mom made when I was growing up and we're still not making it financially. I was so excited when I got this job because I thought that salary would represent financial security and I hate that I'm working hard and we're still having to struggle.

Eh. And I shouldn't be writing this from work, because a) it's not their fault, and b) I have things to do. So I'll end the whine there.

#98 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 PM

it is so nice to know that there are moms out there like me! i am sooo struggling. i get a diability check that at least pays the important bills. DH finally got hired by the carpenters union. figured we would be ok or at least on the track to getting there but just found out we are getting our fs cut from 552 a month to 271 a month.. for 6 people! Arrrgghh! Dh's income is not enough to make up for that. good thing we get WIC. They give out farmers market checks too.
Anyway just thought i would share. Here's hoping things will get better for everybody!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#99 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Hey there mamas! I was soooo happy to find this thread! We are low income, but by the states standards DH makes $.25 a month too much to qualify for any help. Last month we lost our medical, but we should be getting it next month through DH's new job, but only medical nothing else. Does anyone know if there are other dental programs for kids who don't have insurance? We need to take DS for his first appointment but are far from being able to afford it.

We are currently working on paying off our debt while living with my grandparents, but it seems everytime we get ahead we slide back some. We did finally buy our own car off Craigslist ($650 out of our income tax check) so I guess we're one step closer. We're working ona modified DR plan for ourselves. I guess we choose to be low income because we choose to live off of just one of us working. Both of us worked for 3+ years in different daycares and just are not comfortable putting our son (and future children) in someone elses care if we don't absolutely have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
I just got our stimulus check in the bank today and it's 600 less than we hoped we were going to get.

Ours was shorted 600 too, because our "tax liability" wasn't high enough. DH only worked about half the year after moving here to WA from Ohio. I was sad and yes I cried like a baby because that 600 would have knocked off almost 3 full credit card debts!
#100 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=beansmama;11277208]Oh i am soooo happy i came back to MDC. Already i see 3 threads/challanges i need to participate in (next month). This one, pantry challange, no spend challange.

you can join now these challenges. its a real eye opener. this month so far i wasted $81.50. i could have paid that towards my car insurance. i feel like kicking myself in the butt for that one.
#101 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=jaceycat24;11280780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Oh i am soooo happy i came back to MDC. Already i see 3 threads/challanges i need to participate in (next month). This one, pantry challange, no spend challange.

you can join now these challenges. its a real eye opener. this month so far i wasted $81.50. i could have paid that towards my car insurance. i feel like kicking myself in the butt for that one.
I might join...but not til next wednesday...which is pretty much the end of the month. I'm going on a vacation that i already planned...but i am keeping my spending to just vacation related stuffs. No random online shopping sprees or anything of that nature anymore!!
#102 of 113 Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Hi Redifer welcome to the thread and FL. Are you ready for hurricane season yet?
Thank you! LOL I'm as prepared for hurricanes as I can be!

Well, DH has been getting decent overtime, so payday his paycheck was $300! Whoopee.

Our stimulus check arrived at his g-mas house in Buffalo, and she sent it down certified mail yesterday. Good news, because at least this will pay our rent for two months.

Other than that, I've been doing everything in my means to save money at this point. We switched to cloth diapers finally, since I finally found patterns to make them out of things I already had. I switched to cloth pads, finally, same reason as diapers. I'm washing our laundry (2 kids in cloth diapers/panties, mine, and a mechanics) in the bathtub by hand and stringing it out to dry on the porch, because I really cannot afford a laundromat, and don't have W/D hookups in this place.

We're hoping DH gets promoted to tech instead of general maint. at work... this'll at least give him commission on every car he works on.. still a crappy check, but we'll have some wiggle room. Gahhh.
#103 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
You know what makes this suck even more? I'm making twice what my mom made when I was growing up and we're still not making it financially. I was so excited when I got this job because I thought that salary would represent financial security and I hate that I'm working hard and we're still having to struggle.

Argghh, I can so relate to this! How can I make this much money and still be struggling?

Oh wait...it's all that consumer debt.

And my ridiculous mortgage.

And the kid starting college.

The consumer debt is what's killing me, though.

Alas.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#104 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Please check the other board those who know what I mean.

#105 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 PM

hi
#106 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
Argghh, I can so relate to this! How can I make this much money and still be struggling?

Oh wait...it's all that consumer debt.

And my ridiculous mortgage.

And the kid starting college.

The consumer debt is what's killing me, though.

Alas.

Holly
You know what, though. We don't even HAVE any consumer debt!! We have student loans which are currently in deferment, but other than that we're completely debt-free. We own our cars, we rent, Nathan is in college but is 100% grant funded for his program.

It's AMAZING to me how much money rent, gas, food, utilities and insurance can eat thorough in a month.

On the positive side: My community garden FINALLY opened! We went and got our plants yesterday (tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, melons, pumpkins, cabbage, brussles sprouts, onions, peas and beans) and the few stakes and fencing things we needed today, so I'll be spending my weekend putting plants in the ground. At least that FEELS like food security!

#107 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSleep View Post
Does anyone know if there are other dental programs for kids who don't have insurance? We need to take DS for his first appointment but are far from being able to afford it.
Do you live near a teaching hospital? The one in my area offers dental care on a sliding fee scale.
#108 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSleep View Post
Does anyone know if there are other dental programs for kids who don't have insurance? We need to take DS for his first appointment but are far from being able to afford it.
What about the health department? Ours does dental for kids on a sliding scale. And if they don't, maybe they know someone who does.
#109 of 113 Old 05-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Do you mind sharing? By PM?
#110 of 113 Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 AM

I was scared to share on a public board, but this isn't going away so I posted a thread in TAO http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0#post11310510

#111 of 113 Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM

I'm trying to figure out a way to get home to Michigan.When I get there I'll need info on medicaid, FS and WIC

#112 of 113 Old 05-31-2008, 12:34 AM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Quote:
Do you mind sharing in a PM please? Thanks.

I'm still hanging in at work. I did get part of my raise which is a good thing. I now have some money in the bank. My worker just finished up on my food stamp case and we will be getting 830 a month.

On the other hand, we still have to move and have no place to go at this time. Rent in the Metro area is still kind of high for us. Dh is being a UA violation and I so want to hurt him!! We are still with out a car but hopefully we will be able to start saving for one soon.

Hey, does anyone know about how much it would cost us to move across country? My BIL wants us to move to Montana. He says that the cost of living there is smaller than what it is here. Any thoughts? Thanks.

love and blessings
angie
#113 of 113 Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4 Sweeties View Post
Glad to see the mamas.

Looking for that safe place. PM please??

Have a good day mamas!
Still looking....

missing the mamas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page