MAY Lower Income Moms thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come and join us!

We're just a bunch of free loving hippie moms dealing with the challenges of raising a family on a less than stellar income level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 113 Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 PM

#3 of 113 Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM

:

Resistance is futile Matey
#4 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 AM

I'm visiting my mom in Austin and can I just say how amazed I am at how cheap groceries are here! Avocados are 2 for 88 cents (sale price of course) usually they're 2 for 1.00. Cilantro is 44 cents.

I guess I am just used to what I pay for things up North, so its a bit of a sticker shock.
#5 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 AM

Happy May. I hope this month is better somehow even though I quit my job last month.

I'm bitter about the stimulus check because we won't be getting it. I had originally heard that it wouldn't be garnished but then I checked with the IRS and it will be. I was planning on using that to pay for our home birth and now I don't know what to do. I have a horrible phone phobia and I'm too afraid to call the midwife and tell her that we can't afford it anymore. She's traveling this week so I at least have a little reprieve before I have to call her.
#6 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM

:

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#7 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Good morning, ladies!

:

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#8 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Good morning! Hugs to all!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#9 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 AM

Hugs to Jenna...
I have phone phobia too and it sucks! Can you get Medicaid? Medicaid in my state will cover a home birth.

For the mamas who have families that get paid on Thursdays - this is a 5 paycheck month!

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#10 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 AM

Just wondering if anyone here is "lower income" by "choice?" We had read about it a few months back in the Mother Earth News, and we basically fit the form as in the story. Here is a link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...e-on-Less.aspx

My husband works on our 12 acre, soon to be cert. organic farm / homestead. He has no outside work. He stays busy by taking down old farms and barns, and by selling "ice houses," mini-barns, etc, that he makes. He also sells "spent" Organic Valley laying hens, and we also grow produce and meat for a cert. organic "grower's group" and farmer's markets.

Of course, I stay at home with our 5 children, and am a keeper at home, with all that entails.

I budget our food so that we can eat organically for an average of $100/week (http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=874670). We plant a garden about half an acre to feed our family, and I can the food. (Our other 2 acres of garden are for selling.)

We built our home we live in now, and paid for our 12 acres, with cash, so we have no mortgage, just taxes on the homestead/farm. We have lots of Amish in our area, so we get ideas and pointers on living simply from them, and lots of friends, too! We don't "mart" shop, just rummage around sales, "donation" shops, etc.

We keep our expenses down, our income very diverse, and make it work! Such a blessing to not have my husband leave every day for a "lunch box" job!

Anyone else live "on less" by "choice?"
#11 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisaa29 View Post
I'm visiting my mom in Austin and can I just say how amazed I am at how cheap groceries are here! Avocados are 2 for 88 cents (sale price of course) usually they're 2 for 1.00. Cilantro is 44 cents.

I guess I am just used to what I pay for things up North, so its a bit of a sticker shock.
I was just at the store yesterday. Avocados are $1.25 e here in MI.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#12 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
Hugs to Jenna...
I have phone phobia too and it sucks! Can you get Medicaid? Medicaid in my state will cover a home birth.
I just got Medicaid but home birth is illegal in my state so I'm not sure if I could get it to cover it or not. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and ask, but that means *calling* :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommykood View Post
Just wondering if anyone here is "lower income" by "choice?" We had read about it a few months back in the Mother Earth News, and we basically fit the form as in the story. Here is a link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...e-on-Less.aspx
That sounds really cool! I think it would be neat to be self sufficient as much as possible.
#13 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 PM

New here and I'm pretty good at the frugality thing but it's getting really old having to budget when you know your budget doesn't cover everthing every month, so I'm glad to have the support!
I was so looking forward to a stimulus check and a tax return. My dh filed bankrupcty and the lawyer told him that back taxes were discharged. I've read over and over that they can't be but I decided to trust him. Well, it looks like they're keeping the tax return and we probably won't get a stimulus check either. Rightly so, my dh does owe the taxes, but I was so looking forward to being done w/ the rest of our debt.

Quote:

My husband works on our 12 acre, soon to be cert. organic farm / homestead. He has no outside work. He stays busy by taking down old farms and barns, and by selling "ice houses," mini-barns, etc, that he makes. He also sells "spent" Organic Valley laying hens, and we also grow produce and meat for a cert. organic "grower's group" and farmer's markets.

Of course, I stay at home with our 5 children, and am a keeper at home, with all that entails.

I budget our food so that we can eat organically for an average of $100/week (http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=874670). We plant a garden about half an acre to feed our family, and I can the food. (Our other 2 acres of garden are for selling.)

We built our home we live in now, and paid for our 12 acres, with cash, so we have no mortgage, just taxes on the homestead/farm. We have lots of Amish in our area, so we get ideas and pointers on living simply from them, and lots of friends, too! We don't "mart" shop, just rummage around sales, "donation" shops, etc.

We keep our expenses down, our income very diverse, and make it work! Such a blessing to not have my husband leave every day for a "lunch box" job!

I'm so jealous! This is my dream life some day! Good for you guys!
#14 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Well, your life is what we aspire to. Its our long term plan. DH will retire in 14 years. I'm working on my Masters and will be a pastor. (Well, I do so on a volunteer basis now by choice because with family and school a job would be too much, but I mean as a FT pastor) When I get an appointment we will sell the house (since we will live in a parsonage) And take the proceeds to buy land debt free and then we will build our retirement home debt free and eco friendly. (We'll be 51 when dh retires)

But I suppose we are low income by choice since we have 6 kids! I was pleased to see that we already do most of the Mother Earth News ideas. Yeah, us!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#15 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM

hi mamas!

i am reluctant to post.......

but, i want to check in and say i hope this thread is tolerated better than last months......

a new home has been found where poverty and low income is accepted without prejudice. i like it there.

Quote:

this sounds lovely......and thanks for the links really good reads

i won't be leaving mdc, just being mindful of how poverty is unacceptable here.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#16 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
hi mamas!

i am reluctant to post.......

but, i want to check in and say i hope this thread is tolerated better than last months......

a new home has been found where poverty and low income is accepted without prejudice. i like it there.

took the words right out of my mouth.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#17 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Good Gravy, Mamas what happened? I haven't been checking in becuase I haven't had much time on the computer. LIfe is busy with lots of kids. Pm me the new home again, I'm having a hard time getting on

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#18 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM

we live on one income/one car household. we find it hard but we are not poor by any means. when i think how other countries live we really are rich in comparision.
this month we have big goals. first to pay off our midwife and put away for next 6 month car insurance that is due in july.

we have been paying our midwife $100 a month maybe yours could do a payment plan.
#19 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
Are you serious? I had no idea that was the tone. Yikes.
#20 of 113 Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Hi everyone. I have been a lurker to this thread on and off, and decided to jump in and say hi. :
#21 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Glad to see the mamas.

Looking for that safe place. PM please??

Have a good day mamas!
#22 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 AM

I was lurking on the april thread but got busy with last minute stuff for college. can i still join?
#23 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Hey mamas! Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar boat. Here is my situation:

Divorced; dependent spouse support ends this month; childcare paid regularly; work fulltime; three boys (one developmentally disabled) and house poor. That was a term I heard growing up a LOT! My van is paid for (thus can't afford to trade for a lower mileage vehicle) and I have a mortgage.

I am posting b/c on the surface I do not LOOK like I am struggling but am VERY MUCH doing so!

Anyone else experience that?
#24 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Driveby hello while NAK I'll post more later when I get a chance.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#25 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Hi everybody, welcome to May. I hope this month is another "good" month, I know it will definately be better come Saturday when my FS hit my card
Hope everyone has a good month.

__________________________________________________ _______________
mama to 4 great kids: dd1 age 15.5(eek), ds1 age 14, ds2 age 11, and dd2 age 4you are my sunshine

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#26 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 03:39 PM

Just dropping by to say hi

#27 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all, I posted my story about a week or so ago on this board and someone suggested this thread. We are still struggling. I just got our stimulus check in the bank today and it's 600 less than we hoped we were going to get. It is going directy towards paying electricity, water and car payments! Not one nickle is going towards anything fun or even a nice dinner. It takes a lot out of me to keep up with this world but I've been hanging on!
#28 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Hi everyone...new here. I just wanted to add that we have been making an effort to eat out of the pantry and freezer the past 2 weeks. It has been going well and the first week I spent $30 on groceries and last week I spent $50, but over all not too bad for a family of 6 and mostly for fresh produce type things. I am anxious to get my stimulus check, hopefully next friday and I hope there are no mix-ups about our amt. due. Anyway, looking forward to being here :-)
#29 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
Are you serious? I had no idea that was the tone. Yikes.
stick around a while, you'll see it too.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#30 of 113 Old 05-02-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
Hi all, I posted my story about a week or so ago on this board and someone suggested this thread. We are still struggling. I just got our stimulus check in the bank today and it's 600 less than we hoped we were going to get. It is going directy towards paying electricity, water and car payments! Not one nickle is going towards anything fun or even a nice dinner. It takes a lot out of me to keep up with this world but I've been hanging on!
jeez.....$600 short.........wonder who made that decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreysmama View Post
Hi everyone...new here. I just wanted to add that we have been making an effort to eat out of the pantry and freezer the past 2 weeks. It has been going well and the first week I spent $30 on groceries and last week I spent $50, but over all not too bad for a family of 6 and mostly for fresh produce type things. I am anxious to get my stimulus check, hopefully next friday and I hope there are no mix-ups about our amt. due. Anyway, looking forward to being here :-)
oh, i am itching for that check. its kinda sad.

welcome,mamas

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page