Water bill? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that something is going on. We normally use about 4000-5500 gallons of water a month(family of 6). Then for about 2 months they said we used 0 gallons! We finally called and our meter had died. They estimated and made us pay for those 2 months, and they replaced the meter.

Now our latest two months water usage was some 9000, and then 10,000+ gallons?!? WTH? We haven't been watering the grass or anything like that. As far as I know, we have no leaks.
Any ideas?!?!

How much water do you use, and how many people in your household??!?
#2 of 25 Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM

There are 2 of us (just my husband and me) and we use 2900-4400 gallons a month. The higher end was when we had a constantly running toilet. This does not include our current month where we've planted grass seed. I'm not going to like this bill.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#3 of 25 Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One recent bill was for 5,900 gallons which cost $53. We have 4 people (3 adults and one child). We all aren't daily bathers (dh is) and we try to be mindful of water usage (dh not so much, lol). We have a couple of low flow toilets. The next month was $70 and included visitors (family of 6) for a long Easter weekend (4-5 days) and kids playing with the hose.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 25 Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM

I have no idea where our water bill went to, but I've heard that the average person uses about 100 gallons a day. There's a quick little questionaire here: http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/sq3.html where you can get somewhat of an idea where it all goes.

Could the water company check the meter somehow? Maybe there is something wrong with it. On the other hand, it could be that the old meter just wasn't getting everything...it did die, after all.
#5 of 25 Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny81 View Post
Could the water company check the meter somehow? Maybe there is something wrong with it. On the other hand, it could be that the old meter just wasn't getting everything...it did die, after all.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the old meter was faulty for a long time before it died, and you were getting a good deal.

Or maybe the new meter is faulty. I would ask them if they could check it.
#6 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 AM

2,160 gallons =$14.90

Family of 4 but we don't have a dishwasher and I do my laundry at work.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Maybe you were just lucky and getting a deal before. 9-10,000 sounds high, but not if you do lots of laundry and if everyone showers daily . We had a couple of leaks and had to replace the plumbing and afterwards I thought our bill would go down but it actually went up some from our normal usage. The reason being that the old pipes were copper and had narrowed over time and the new pipes meant better water pressure, thus more water coming out each time the faucet was turned on. It may sound crazy, but even a toilet that runs a little or an outdoor faucet or hose that is leaking can add up in a hurry.
#8 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 AM

6400 gallons for us this past month, which is on the high end of normal. (Looking at previous months...5400 the month before, and 6300 the month before that, so...)

Family of 5, everyone bathing/showering daily...and teenagers sometimes TWICE daily and long ones at that (we're trying to crack down on that one!)

We do have a dishwasher (which we've already calculated uses LESS water than hand washing for us), but we don't have anyone in diapers and we haven't started on our garden yet, so that's just normal usage.
#9 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM

If your use of the water hasn't changed, I would have them check the meter, but keep in mind if the old meter died it may have been that the OLD meter wasn't measuring properly too and you've been using that much all along.

We use between 12,000 and 15,000 gallons every 3 months. We rarely water the lawn AND we just replaced a running toilet which probably lost a lot of water. 9,000 in one month does seem high to me.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#10 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM

I agree with others that 4000 for 6 people is low and that the old meter was probably not reading correctly.

I'm in an apartment household of 3. Dh and I take fairly short shower daily, dd twice a week, we hand wash dishes (dishwasher can't handle the hard water). We do wash a lot of clothes (4-6 loads/week) and I would assume with several small dc the OP would as well, but we don't waste a lot (don't water lawn, turn off water when brushing teeth, etc)

Before we got a front loader washer we uses 5000-6000 gallons a month. Since the FL we use 3000.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#11 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 PM

There are 5 of us. i shower 6/7 days a week. The girls have a bath once a week(they all use the same bath water). dh showers every 2-3 days. We have no dishwasher, a front loader washing machine that does about 10-12 loads a week, 3 toilets(2 are low flow, the other isn't but isn't used as often either), we drink bottled water but cook with tap water.

Our estimate for Jan-Mar was 8140 gallons(4070/month), the bill was $99.02, $28 of that was garbage/recycling pick up. Normal winter water bills are aound $75-$80 BEFORE getting the front loader washing maching last summer.

July & Aug bill(we got the front loader the first weekend in Aug), our bill showed 11440 gallons(5720/month though a little skewed too because of the changes halfway). We watered the garden every 2 days for 1 hour for all of July as we had zero precipitation. We also had a 6th person living here for the month of July. August we didn't water the garden at all because all we had was precipitation.lol

Based on what we use I'd say something is up with your new meter.
#12 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 PM

The little old lady who rents my house uses about 500 a month. She eats one meal and tea at home each day, takes a bath every other night, and washes one load of laundry a week.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#13 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 AM

We are billed every 3 months, but we used 23k (~7666/mo) and we are 7. I am aghast at some of the rates you guys pay, though! Ours is $41.93 for that 23k gallons. 4evermom, you used 1/4 of what I did and paid more? That's crazy!
#14 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM

You know what's crazy?
I rent a MIL house on the back of my dad's property. They have 4 people there (2 teens who take long showers), run the dishwasher and washing machine at least once a day and water their large garden.
I have myself and 2 toddlers, I don't shower everyday and when I do it's less than 3 minutes. I don't run the dishwasher or the washing machine everyday and I don't have nearly the garden they do.

YET my water bill is higher than theirs!!

The reason is their house is OLD and has small pipes, my house is new and has larger pipes.
#15 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 11:43 AM

Our April bill was for 3800 gallons. The charge for the water was 21.93 and the sewer charge was 18.32. For a grand total of 40.25. We are a family of 3. My 6 yo is a dirt magnet and he gets bathed almost every night and I end up doing a lot of laundry. The summer months are usually more because of watering plants and playing with the hose.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#16 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a house empty once and got a bill for over $400 for the water. Turns out the neighbor sandblasted and re-stucco-ed his house. He even dumped and cleaned his wheelbarrow out on my property, leaving uneven stucco and concrete all over my plants near the faucet he had used.

The DWP said it was up to me to prove it. Well, my neighbor did have a newly stucco-ed house, the evidence was all over my faucet and plants, and after owning that house for 17 years, I never had a bill that high no matter who lived there, but that was not enough...
#17 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
4evermom, you used 1/4 of what I did and paid more? That's crazy!
Maybe that included sewer? My sewer bill is more than my water bill.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#18 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Maybe that included sewer? My sewer bill is more than my water bill.
Hopefully.

We live with my mom and are just starting to take over some of the utility bills now that we are getting back on our financial feet so I'm not sure.

#19 of 25 Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I had a house empty once and got a bill for over $400 for the water.
That sucks! I worry about that sort of thing if I go out of town and forget to turn off the outside faucets. Not so much that a neighbor will use the water like that but that a kid will turn it on and leave it on.

#20 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
2,160 gallons =$14.90

Family of 4 but we don't have a dishwasher and I do my laundry at work.
I'm jealous. Our last bill was 11,000 gallons for three months and was $184. ,

I read all the posts. My bill includes sewage and a water hydrant fee. My bill would still be about $90 per quarter if I used no water or sewage.
#21 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 PM

I used to work for a water company and this would happen quite often. A meter would finally stop working and when we replaced it, the owners of the house would go NUTS because their bill started reflecting their actual water use. A water meter is just like any other thing with parts...it gets old and it slows down. I very seriously doubt that something is wrong with the new meter, it is very unlikely.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#22 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM

For the 2 of us, we use 6-7K gallons in 2 months... that's $14 in incoming water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama_mama View Post

The reason is their house is OLD and has small pipes, my house is new and has larger pipes.
Somehow I doubt that's the reason. More likely some of their water usage is on your meter... or, like the OP their meter is old and dying. We have a 100 year old house, and still manage to use a good deal of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
That sucks! I worry about that sort of thing if I go out of town and forget to turn off the outside faucets. Not so much that a neighbor will use the water like that but that a kid will turn it on and leave it on.
This is why I had a plumber come out and for about $100 replace all the outdoor hose bibs with keyed hose bibs. Now my neighbors could go down to the hardware store and get themselves a key if they were so inclined, but more likely they'll steal water from someone else who doesn't have keyed bibs. It's a bit of a pain to always have to remember to grab the key, but it keeps things like that from happening.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#23 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're billed every three months here. Our last bill says we used 7,480 gallons, so that's just under 2,500 gallons per month. We're a family of five, no dishwasher, and we do our laundry at home. Our bill was about $30 for three months. Not bad!

eta: We have a septic tank, though, so we're only paying for incoming water.
#24 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM

I'd say your old meter wasn't registering properly and you were using more than being billed.

That being said, make sure you don't have any leaks. Check your toliets. Some toliets will mysteriously come on sporadically.

Call the water company and see if they can come out and make sure the new meter is right. I bet it is though.

ETA - 80 to 100 gallons of water per person per day is the rule of thumb. I use to do billing, collections for a water sewer district.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#25 of 25 Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama_mama View Post

Somehow I doubt that's the reason. More likely some of their water usage is on your meter... or, like the OP their meter is old and dying. We have a 100 year old house, and still manage to use a good deal of water.
I don't know that's what the water district said and our house is more than 100 yds from the street.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page