getting paid for plasma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i donate blood when not pregnant but i read on here a few of the mamas or hubbys get paid for donating plasma. not sure if hubby would do this. i can't find a local place that does it. i tried looking on yahoo answers and looking on yahoo local and no luck. how do you find a center?
#2 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:21 PM

If you have one around you, I think you would have heard ads for them somewhere. Ours puts ads on the radio all the time.

But I guess if you don't listen to the radio, that wouldn't help you.

I used to babysit for some people who would donate plasma on a regular basis, and their arms were just SO bruised up. It really grossed me out thinking about it.

I think it seems harder on a person than just donating whole blood.

I was going to try to do it once when we needed the money, but they wouldn't take me because of my arthritis. I think I'm glad.
#3 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM

I looked in the phone book yellow pages under 'Blood plasma centers'. I've never gone in, I was just curious if there were any in our area.
#4 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Our entire donation system in Canada is based on free giving. No one gets paid here for blood or plasma.

4 kids under 10
#5 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Donating plasma is actually less hard on the body then whole blood, because they only take the plasma, the rest is put back in, it is easier for your body to recover. I have never gotten bruises from donating blood or plasma, but i am not sure if they use a different technique in Australia. Our system is also based on free giving, you do get a snack and some juice though.
#6 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

i don't think hubby would do it anyway but i was curious about it. we also don't get paid for blood here.
#7 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
Donating plasma is actually less hard on the body then whole blood, because they only take the plasma, the rest is put back in, it is easier for your body to recover. I have never gotten bruises from donating blood or plasma, but i am not sure if they use a different technique in Australia. Our system is also based on free giving, you do get a snack and some juice though.
Maybe because they are paid for it here, they rush them through a bit faster, hence the bruising. It was two separate families that I babysat for, and both had the bruised up arms. I also don't think they bother giving out juice or snacks for the people who donate. But I'm sure each center is different.

They don't pay for whole blood here either, just the plasma.
#8 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 PM

http://www.zlbplasma.com/s1/cs/enps/...92/content.htm

the locations in my state will give 40 dollars each time u donate
#9 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM

http://www.plasmazentrum.at/

In our area you can make up to $240 per month. I have done it when not preg. or bf and never had a negative physical reaction. Personally I enjoy an uninterrupted hour & 1/2 twice a week to myself so I can read while I donate. Our center also provides free childcare.
#10 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
The donation is less hard on the body, but except for my experience with one rude blood donation attendant, I've found that the blood donation people are nicer and more gentle than the plasma people. The care that is taken (or not taken) in inserting and removing the IV's contributes to the amount of bruising that will result. I never had bruising after donating blood, but I always had bruises from the plasma donations.
#11 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM

I have always had bad experienced donating blood. I loose all my color, the nurse looks at me says "uh oh" and flips my legs up and my head down as my ears start ringing and I get tunnel vision.

Does this happen with plasma? I assure you I am of proper weight. I have a universal blood type so I'd like to be able to donate, but it really makes me feel icky.

Oh - and as a germ phobe with OCD, how can they guarantee the blood is okay to go back into your body. My common sense says they must be able to not mix it with anyone else's bodily fluids, but my OCD self who has never seen it wonders how.
#12 of 33 Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I donated about 10 years ago and never had the bruising problem. Were getting ready to move and I will start donating again to help keep the bills paid and I look at it this way, its helping my dd as her IVIG therapy that keeps her healthy is made from plasma donations

The one in the area were moving to you can make about $200 a month doing it.

Seriously?
#13 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post
I have always had bad experienced donating blood. I loose all my color, the nurse looks at me says "uh oh" and flips my legs up and my head down as my ears start ringing and I get tunnel vision.

Does this happen with plasma? I assure you I am of proper weight. I have a universal blood type so I'd like to be able to donate, but it really makes me feel icky.

Oh - and as a germ phobe with OCD, how can they guarantee the blood is okay to go back into your body. My common sense says they must be able to not mix it with anyone else's bodily fluids, but my OCD self who has never seen it wonders how.
All of the tubing and vials are single use. You can ask the "intake" person about that, and they will probably show you the parts that touch the blood. All of them are replaced between donations. It's the same type of equipment as is used in "double red" (or power red) donations, only they give your blood cells back (with IV fluids) and keep the clear-ish plasma. If you do decide to try it, take a blanket. The IV fluids are room temperature, which means they are lower than your body temp, and you will be cold.
#14 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM

I donated a few times in medical school when I was out of cash and needed to buy food. It wasn't a big deal to go through.

At the center I went to, there were quite a few people who seemed to be supporting alcohol and drug habits by donating plasma. They'd get unhooked, run outside, light a cigarette, and stand off to the side in secretive groups. Later that night you'd see them passed out on the streets in the downtown area.

It made me very conservative with the use of blood products on my patients later on.
#15 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 10:43 AM

We have 2 in the area, they are listed in the phone book. I donate and get nearly $300 a month for it. Drink lots of water the day before, eat a big meal before donating, take a blanket and a book.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#16 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 12:10 PM

I cant speak for all donation centers, but I do know about the one in our area, as DH works for them.

Ours gives out snack and juices to donors after donating if they are feeling weak or sick afterwards, or just feel hungry. Alot of people dont even want the snacks. They have more heartier snacks for donors who have a reaction during or after donating.

Our centers pay $45 a week and thats for 2 donations a week. They are working on a program to pay a little more to donors who have documented immunties to a few certian diseases in order to help formulate a new plasma product for treatments for immune deficiencies.

As with all donation centers, you are left laying there with a 17gage needle in your arm during the whole donation process....which can cause bruising. Its a big needle and the more you move, the more likely it will bruise and cause issues. Our center doesnt allow you to use your cell phone or anything during a donation, and if you fall asleep during one, you get woke up...fall asleep again and the donation is stopped. They do this to make sure that no one gets hurt from the big ole needle in thier arms.

My DH does alot of sticking there. He has donors that only let him stick them, and he does it 2x a week for them. He said hardly ever are there bruises The main reasons for bruising after a donation, is a pleb who isnt properelly inserting the needle, too much movement during the donation process, and an attendent turing the return blood flow rate up too high. There are procedures set up to p[revent this, but yes it will still happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
The donation is less hard on the body, but except for my experience with one rude blood donation attendant, I've found that the blood donation people are nicer and more gentle than the plasma people. The care that is taken (or not taken) in inserting and removing the IV's contributes to the amount of bruising that will result. I never had bruising after donating blood, but I always had bruises from the plasma donations.
Your right! Plasma donation is much easier on the body and makes the donation easier to recover from since your not losing whole blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post

You may have a reaction donating plasma....but if asked they can make sure to do a slow donate....in otherwards may take you an hour to do the donation itself. Eating well the day before, and staying well hydrated helps alot. And DH always tells donors who react to make sure that before coming in that they eat a full meal and drink plenty of water.

On an average day they have 10 donors out of the 200+ they do have reactions, ranging from just feeling funny, puking, to passing out....typically DH says they just feel really dizzy and need to eat and drink something. Some of this is due to the blood thinner and stuff used during the donation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
All of the tubing and vials are single use. You can ask the "intake" person about that, and they will probably show you the parts that touch the blood. All of them are replaced between donations. It's the same type of equipment as is used in "double red" (or power red) donations, only they give your blood cells back (with IV fluids) and keep the clear-ish plasma. If you do decide to try it, take a blanket. The IV fluids are room temperature, which means they are lower than your body temp, and you will be cold.

Your right too! Aside from the machines, everything used that goes between the machine and you are all single use items. Machines are steralized between donors...as are the beds and such. The donation process itself is very sterile. Our center here doesnt give IV fluids with blood return....they are in the process though of trying it to see if it reduces the amount of reactions though.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me....I can get DH to answer them for ya
#17 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Back pre kids in my 'wilder' days I sometimes lived off my plasma donations *bag over head* I never had bruising and since the needle doesn't bother me it was an easy way to make a buck. The only 'side effect' I ever had was being cold from the anticoagulant that they mix with your red blood cells when they go back in.

Hmm maybe I should start 'donating' again (I guess its really selling and not donating)
#18 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question. Our local center says you can't donate when you're breastfeeding. But they seemed to assume that my babe was still quite small, as they also mentioned that I need to be at least 6 weeks (I think it was) postpartum to allow my body to recover from giving birth. When I mentioned that my littlest was over a year old, they seemed confused (I guess they don't hear that often?).

So...is there really any harm in donating plasma when you're breastfeeding older babes? I'm tandem nursing a 3 1/2 year old and a 13 month old. But I could really use the money and I like the idea of having a quiet hour to myself. And I assume I'll still be breastfeeding for at least another year, or two, or three.
#19 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShareBear View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question. Our local center says you can't donate when you're breastfeeding. But they seemed to assume that my babe was still quite small, as they also mentioned that I need to be at least 6 weeks (I think it was) postpartum to allow my body to recover from giving birth. When I mentioned that my littlest was over a year old, they seemed confused (I guess they don't hear that often?).

So...is there really any harm in donating plasma when you're breastfeeding older babes? I'm tandem nursing a 3 1/2 year old and a 13 month old. But I could really use the money and I like the idea of having a quiet hour to myself. And I assume I'll still be breastfeeding for at least another year, or two, or three.

Speaking for our center.....youngest child your breastfeeding must be atleast 10 months old and not strictly breastfed at the time of donation....reasoning is, the plasma they remove has alot of nutrients and goodies in it, that they feel isnt wise to take from a baby
#20 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM

I donated while BFing my almost 2 year old, the center doesn't ask you if you are nursing but if you told them you did they wouldn't allow it. I'm not sure about BFing an infant but I think it would be fine for a toddler.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#21 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtmomof3 View Post
Back pre kids in my 'wilder' days I sometimes lived off my plasma donations *bag over head* I never had bruising and since the needle doesn't bother me it was an easy way to make a buck. The only 'side effect' I ever had was being cold from the anticoagulant that they mix with your red blood cells when they go back in.

Hmm maybe I should start 'donating' again (I guess its really selling and not donating)
Our center says "We arent paying you for your plasma, we are paying you for the time you spend donating it." It does take alot longer than a blood donation......but where else can you relax for 1-2 hours and get paid, all while helping hundreds of people
#22 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 04:37 PM

I've thought about doing this as I see the same ad for it over and over again. I guess the only thing that has really stopped me is somewhere in the big of my head I wonder just how "safe" it is. I have a great imagination and it goes into overdrive sometimes. So those that do it completely trust the centers they go to? I can't donate blood because of living overseas so I guess it's just been so long I'm not sure. plasma is different thought right? I can still donate that?
#23 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
I've thought about doing this as I see the same ad for it over and over again. I guess the only thing that has really stopped me is somewhere in the big of my head I wonder just how "safe" it is. I have a great imagination and it goes into overdrive sometimes. So those that do it completely trust the centers they go to? I can't donate blood because of living overseas so I guess it's just been so long I'm not sure. plasma is different thought right? I can still donate that?
Depends on the company, and where you lived....it varies.
#24 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM

lilgsmommy~ i went to a donation center once and got dizzy/lightheaded...they encouraged me not to come again. is that normal? ZLB is the plasma center in tucson that i see and i would like to make some extra money but wonder if they will just discourage me from comeing again. i am over 110 lbs etc but ALWAYS get dizzy..ageing a few years hasn't made that different i know...just wondering what you think.
#25 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
lilgsmommy~ i went to a donation center once and got dizzy/lightheaded...they encouraged me not to come again. is that normal? ZLB is the plasma center in tucson that i see and i would like to make some extra money but wonder if they will just discourage me from comeing again. i am over 110 lbs etc but ALWAYS get dizzy..ageing a few years hasn't made that different i know...just wondering what you think.
I got extremely dizzy and ended up falling on the floor(at my house) and hitting my ear hard(which still hurts two months later). It also took them FOREVER to withdraw the plasma from me. I waited a whopping 3 hours, for most people it only takes 30-45 minutes for the actual procedure. I guess it's because I have extremely small veins and AB- blood type. So, needless to say, that was my first and last time for donating plasma. I know they needed me in for the second time, but it just wasn't worth it for me.
#26 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeygw View Post
for most people it only takes 30-45 minutes for the actual procedure.
It takes me about 45-50 mins (3 cycles) which I was told is really fast, i usually get done faster than people that got stuck before me.

#27 of 33 Old 05-05-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
I donated a few times in medical school when I was out of cash and needed to buy food. It wasn't a big deal to go through.

At the center I went to, there were quite a few people who seemed to be supporting alcohol and drug habits by donating plasma. They'd get unhooked, run outside, light a cigarette, and stand off to the side in secretive groups. Later that night you'd see them passed out on the streets in the downtown area.

It made me very conservative with the use of blood products on my patients later on.

While I've never given plasma. (My two experience with donating whole blood were about like neetling decribed plus feeling run down and anemic for a a couple weeks). I do share blessed's concerns. I work in a university hospital in a major city and there was a place nearby that did plasma donations. I thought I'd see more student types since there are 50,000 students wandering around the area. Most of the traffic in and out of the plasma place did not look like undergraduates, but instead a much more hard living group. Kudos to anyone that does it and doesn't find it too unpleasant/worth his/her time. I personally would have to be very down on my luck before I would try it.
#28 of 33 Old 05-06-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
Light headed and dizzy is totally normal....and par for the course. Its the most common reaction reported by donors. It can be lessened and prevented by staying well hydrated and eating properlly the day before and up to the donation. You can also ask them to slow the donation and return process down a little to see if it helps.
#29 of 33 Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeygw View Post
I got extremely dizzy and ended up falling on the floor(at my house) and hitting my ear hard(which still hurts two months later). It also took them FOREVER to withdraw the plasma from me. I waited a whopping 3 hours, for most people it only takes 30-45 minutes for the actual procedure. I guess it's because I have extremely small veins and AB- blood type. So, needless to say, that was my first and last time for donating plasma. I know they needed me in for the second time, but it just wasn't worth it for me.
Small veins do make the donation process drag out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
It takes me about 45-50 mins (3 cycles) which I was told is really fast, i usually get done faster than people that got stuck before me.
Hubby says typically on average where he works, 45min-1hr, is a common donation time. There are a few people that take less than that.....and some who take more. Really depends on your vein size, blood flow, and hydration levels.
#30 of 33 Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
In the city where I lived, the plasma "donation" centers where all in the same district as the shelters, soup kitchens, and drug dealers.

Considering they are buying body fluids and selling them at a profit (we're not talking about Red Cross here) from a population that is largely untraceable, I wouldn't necessarily trust their level of safety and cleanliness. But maybe I'm just paranoid about being in the same room with bruised up, bleeding Hep C and HIV carriers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page