The Cost of Food - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 257 Old 05-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just an FYI about Seeds of Change - I would NOT recommend them if you are in Canada. We had no end of trouble getting our seeds over the border because of some goof up Seeds of Change made. It also took FOREVER for them to get here. The company was nice enough when I contacted them about our lost seeds, but it was altogether too much trouble. In Canada, Salt Spring Seeds has great, organic, heirloom seeds. We've had mixed success with certain varieties, but I atribute this to the fact that we're in a very extreme environment, while BC is really quite temperate.

Our food prices are already obscene, but we also notice prices going up. We keep hoping that when the ferry goes in (we're not road accessible for a portion of the year), prices will go down a bit, but I don't think this will be the case. It makes me sad when a huge splurge/treat at the grocery store is a fruit other than an apple, orange or banana. Actually, apples have become a treat of late.

I know it's a logical progression when, as a society, we haven't been taking care of our Earth or the people on it, but it frustrates me that the punishment is being metted out in seemingly uneven portions. ie: those who have the least to lose and have been living as low-impact as possible are taking a bigger hit than those who have a huge cusion and, often, have lifestyles that have a large associated environmental/social impact.

We also sprout an organic seed mix - in a mason jar with a piece of window screen (doubled) under the ring.

For greater things are yet to come...

#182 of 257 Old 05-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post

I know it's a logical progression when, as a society, we haven't been taking care of our Earth or the people on it, but it frustrates me that the punishment is being metted out in seemingly uneven portions. ie: those who have the least to lose and have been living as low-impact as possible are taking a bigger hit than those who have a huge cusion and, often, have lifestyles that have a large associated environmental/social impact.

Thats a huge generalization IMO.
#183 of 257 Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 PM

So much of how we live is dictated and decided by politicians and we have no choice but to go along because we feel powerless as a citizenry. Some examples include the widespread use of plastic instead of glass, the refusal to accept/allow hemp as a major crop for food and fuel and clothing, the serious delay in developing greener technologies, lax rules for industrial polluters, lack of adequate public transportation, and the list of things we have no control over goes on and on. Even those with money and cushions often look for ways to tread more lightly on this earth and there is only so much one can do when our societies are run by a few with all the power, and the kind of dissenting , radical politicians we actually really need just don't get elected. It's true that these food and gas prices don't hurt the wealthy but it isn't their fault it's happening either, unless they are the politicians involved. Why Americans don't wake up and DEMAND change and instead pretend we are a democracy when we are still only choosing different people from the same corpgov elite is beyond me. Are we too big? Why do people from other countries seem to take so much more action when their way of life is so threatened and we just sit back and accept it and pass blame around ad infinitum? Our passivity is very dangerous. We became great because of our freedoms, and we will fall because of our own complacency.
#184 of 257 Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM

There are very, very cheap ways to micro garden in small spaces.

You can turn your used milk containers into self watering planters -big enough to grow a tomato plant or some leafy greens that can be continuosly harvested
http://www.instructables.com/id/EQTP7OMCQDEP287D4C/

Or scavange for some used 2 liter soda bottles and make some inverted hanging planters that can hold a tomato plant on the bottom and another plant on the top.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...erted-Planter/

Either/Both of these should produce even if you only have a window to work with. Neither takes much soil, and you can use some of your household grey water to water with; just a bowl in your sink when you rinse your dishes should generate enough water to keep a few small planters going.
It might not be much, it adds up.

Lots of 'waste' containers can be turned into self watering planters that can be placed in areas where it doesn't make sense to have an in ground garden.
5 gallon buckets are pretty to easy to get for free from restaurants (they get their salad dressing, sour cream, ice cream toppings etc. in them) and they can easily be turned into larger planters for those with porch and/or yard space.
#185 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
Thats a huge generalization IMO.
Oh, absolutely, I agree. However, when I think about it, this is still the basic theme that sticks out to me.
People who can't afford solid housing to begin with then suffer more when heating costs go up because their houses aren't effecient, etc, etc. I'm not blaming "the rich" at all, or saying that they are all not good stewards, just as I don't think that "the poor" are all good stewards. The results of poor stewardship just seem to hit hardest for those who can least afford it.

For greater things are yet to come...

#186 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 AM

I don't know what we would do without Grocery Outlet and our farmer's market. We sure couldn't eat from the basic supermarket; unless it was mac and cheese. (GROSS!!)

Right now we are pooling food with our in-laws, which also saves us cooling and time, they live super close and have a barbecue, so we pile in for dinner and everyone chips in. Nice family time, too!
#187 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 08:24 AM

Thanks for those awesome planter ideas! I can't wait to try them!!

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has to move as they can't afford to feed their family of 8 and heat their home (furnace oil has more than doubled in the past 2 years here). Thankfully her DH is being offered double what he makes here (even though it is a much higher COL province).
#188 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
OMGoodness! I bought razor blades for my son last week and I almost fainted when I saw that I had spent almost $27 for them (for a pack of 10, but still!)
The refill blades have always been crazy expensive. It's generally cheaper to buy disposables.
#189 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
Oh, absolutely, I agree. However, when I think about it, this is still the basic theme that sticks out to me.
People who can't afford solid housing to begin with then suffer more when heating costs go up because their houses aren't effecient, etc, etc. I'm not blaming "the rich" at all, or saying that they are all not good stewards, just as I don't think that "the poor" are all good stewards. The results of poor stewardship just seem to hit hardest for those who can least afford it.

That I do agree with. It is the poor or people right on the edge/lower middle class that does suffer more.
#190 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM

I totalled up what we spent on groceries for the month of APril. First time I ever added it all up. It was completely ridiculous - over $800. We should be spending half that! My new goal is to cut our grocery spending in half. Maybe then we can get some debt paid off.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#191 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
The refill blades have always been crazy expensive. It's generally cheaper to buy disposables.
Yes and no.

Your inital outlay of cash will be less, but you'll have to buy them more often. The refills tend to to be better quality and will last longer.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#192 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
I totalled up what we spent on groceries for the month of APril. First time I ever added it all up. It was completely ridiculous - over $800. We should be spending half that! My new goal is to cut our grocery spending in half. Maybe then we can get some debt paid off.
Oh! I thought I spent a lot. We spent $500 for two adults and a toddler.
#193 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I came to read through this growing thread; and I'm at page 6; but I can't continue to read because I'm SO pissed off.

Everyone's all "gardening, gardening, gardening" and it seems as though 'nobody' is LISTENING. There's this overall mentality on this thread that there's a one-size-fits-all solution; and it seems some of you can't see past your own backyards!!

Some of us CAN'T garden. It's just not an option no matter how much or how little it costs, or how many solutions you can crank out at us. When you live in the middle of a city, and your 'yard' is a wooden balcony that gets sun for about an hour first thing in the morning at best; a garden is NOT an option no matter what. When you can't afford to live in a house; a garden is NOT an option. When you can't afford to move out of the city (or need the conveniences of the city, like public transit); a garden is NOT AN OPTION. Not every city has a public garden (mine doesn't). If your city does, you have to 'check in' on your garden at least every couple days to do maintenance. Now we're looking at the cost and time of getting to and from the garden. ALSO NOT ALWAYS AN OPTION.

And....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra View Post
...It just seemed like a few people were getting offended that someone would suggest gardening as a possiblity. It's just an idea among many, that's all....
Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
...I realize not everyone *wants* to or *can* garden. I don't think people have to take a suggestion like that so personally...
It's not that people are getting "offended" at the suggestion, or "taking it personally"; it's that when we say "I can't garden for X reason"; other posters are coming in and saying "well, you can grow from seeds that are in the foods you buy already" or "create a raised bed and start trying"... THAT is what's making us (well, me, anyways) mad as hell.

Fine, gardening was a suggestion and a good one; but it doesn't WORK FOR ME. No matter how many seed I collect from the food I buy; I still have nowhere to plant them!!! It would be the same deal if the suggestion was having and tending your own animals. I mean, it's not like I can buy myself a cow and keep her out on the balcony so I can have fresh milk every day. It's juuuuuuust not possible for me (and for many).

I know this suggestion wasn't written to me personally; but I'm seeing how those who are fixated on gardening are not listening to those of us who are saying it's not an option for all. IT'S NOT AN OPTION FOR ALL; and it's THAT SIMPLE. No matter how desperate we get for food, "finding a way to grow food" will NOT magically BECOME an option.

On a side note: thank you to those who started coming off the damn gardening topic and offering up other idea's, like grouping together to buy in bulk, or creating a barter/exchange, and such. That's far more productive than arguing on whether or not one can grown their own food.

ETA: I'm not coming back to this thread.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#194 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Um, okay. Glad you arent coming back the this thread.
Geeze.

I dont have a garden, I grow basil in a pot on my window sill. At least its something.
#195 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahgirl View Post
Geeze.

I do think it's important to recognize that sometimes in the grander scheme, things that work for some cannot work for others, even if they COULD manage to do whatever you suggest. The cost can be too high in terms of time, money or logistical difficulty. I do sometimes also find that mamas try to help by insisting that a poster can do something that the poster is not prepared to do for a variety of reasons, and it's not up to others to decide whether the excuse is valid or not. Let's meet each other where we're at.

4 kids under 10
#196 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahgirl View Post
Geeze.

I dont have a garden, I grow basil in a pot on my window sill. At least its something.

Decluttering 500/2010
#197 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
'yard' is a wooden balcony that gets sun for about an hour first thing in the morning at best; a garden is NOT an option no matter what.

You could try lettuce (maybe broccoli too) :

Decluttering 500/2010
#198 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post
Oh! I thought I spent a lot. We spent $500 for two adults and a toddler.
Oh trust me. I know just how insane that amount is. I just had no clue we were spending that much. I though I was closer to the $500 mark, but was WAY off.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#199 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
Oh trust me. I know just how insane that amount is. I just had no clue we were spending that much. I though I was closer to the $500 mark, but was WAY off.

We spend $800 for 4 of us, and it's not insane. We live in a climate where it's winter 6 months of the year and we do buy organic food most of the time. Even through a coop, it costs.

4 kids under 10
#200 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM

Eesh - I just came here to post a quick gardening question. I don't want to upset anyone by focusing on gardening as the solution, so if I need to move this to its own thread or something, just say the word. :

Anyway, I live in a condo with no balcony, and no way to really do window plants. BUT we have a small wooded area behind the condos. The previous post on foraging for asparagus and leeks made me wonder if I could sort of do a stealth-planting of some of that stuff. No one ever goes back there, except for me when I take my mini nature walks. So I'm thinking that if some veggies grow well enough in wooded areas that they can grow wild, I might be able to find a little empty patch and plant some seeds with minimal upkeep. Has anyone tried this? And are there any other veggies that tend to grow well in shady/wooded environments?
#201 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 PM

I haven't noticed too much change from last year but a big change the last 3 years. We're keeping records of all our spending.
#202 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but microgardening is becoming a necessity in many areas, and people can and do figure out how to do it with no yards, no roof access, no community gardens, etc. If you don't have the privilge of a reliable grocer, and food costs are exceptionally high (like they are many places that we in the US and Canada haven't seen remotely close to) then you find a way.

Anyway... If you live in a densly packed urban area it's pretty likely that your neighbors are facing the same concerns. You can do some serious bulk buying if you combine the food needs of an entire floor of an apartment building. I bet if one person were to take the initiative and organize it, that there would be a really good response, the savings could make a big difference in everyone's budget, and it will get people working together for a community solution.

Remember the kids story Stone Soup?
Neighborhood (or apt. floor, whatever) community meals can be a great way to stretch food at the end of the month when things get especially tight. We have totally done this before, and it can be quite fun. There might be some really creative cooking happening depending on what people can bring to the table, but creative cooking is a good thing imo.
#203 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM

ItsBasilThyme - you could also try fiddlehead ferns (the ostrich variety - they must be cooked before eating).

Berry bushes can do alright depending on the area.
If there are spots that get some sun or filtered sun during the day you might be able to get away with some of the greens,beans, and root vegtables, they just won't produce as much as they would if they had full sun. Same thing for strawberries, they might be smaller and less fruit but they're pretty hardy plants and they spread pretty easily.

There's a lot of 'weeds' that are good eating Burdock, Nettle, wild carrot. Some of them are probably there already, but if not you could also look for them in other places (empty lots, fields, etc) and then bring some seeds back with you.

Guerrilla gardening is very fun
#204 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM

We are in the process of identifying more edibles in our yard/woods. Foraging rocks, and what you get is sooooo healthy and yummy!!!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#205 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
We spend $800 for 4 of us, and it's not insane. We live in a climate where it's winter 6 months of the year and we do buy organic food most of the time. Even through a coop, it costs.
I understand it in that situation. For me though, we have access to a Farmers Market year round, plus lots of other options. I just think I wasn't being careful.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#206 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
Yes and no.

Your inital outlay of cash will be less, but you'll have to buy them more often. The refills tend to to be better quality and will last longer.
It depends. I use venus razors, and frankly the refills don't last me any longer than the disposables do.
#207 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM

Willowbean - thanks for the suggestions! I just googled "guerilla gardening" (from your post) and wow! I had no idea such a thing already existed. I thought I was just being crazy. I think I'll go out tonight and start planning.

I also really like your input on the community aspect that's needed to deal with all of this. If the forest gardening seems to work well, I think I'll ask some of my neighbors (who I'm sure are struggling too) if they want to help me out. We could take turns heading out there and checking up on them, then split up the harvest. I guess there really is a silver lining to any cloud. I love community projects.
#208 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I came to read through this growing thread; and I'm at page 6; but I can't continue to read because I'm SO pissed off.

Everyone's all "gardening, gardening, gardening" and it seems as though 'nobody' is LISTENING. There's this overall mentality on this thread that there's a one-size-fits-all solution; and it seems some of you can't see past your own backyards!!

Some of us CAN'T garden. It's just not an option no matter how much or how little it costs, or how many solutions you can crank out at us. When you live in the middle of a city, and your 'yard' is a wooden balcony that gets sun for about an hour first thing in the morning at best; a garden is NOT an option no matter what. When you can't afford to live in a house; a garden is NOT an option. When you can't afford to move out of the city (or need the conveniences of the city, like public transit); a garden is NOT AN OPTION. Not every city has a public garden (mine doesn't). If your city does, you have to 'check in' on your garden at least every couple days to do maintenance. Now we're looking at the cost and time of getting to and from the garden. ALSO NOT ALWAYS AN OPTION.

And....
It's not that people are getting "offended" at the suggestion, or "taking it personally"; it's that when we say "I can't garden for X reason"; other posters are coming in and saying "well, you can grow from seeds that are in the foods you buy already" or "create a raised bed and start trying"... THAT is what's making us (well, me, anyways) mad as hell.

Fine, gardening was a suggestion and a good one; but it doesn't WORK FOR ME. No matter how many seed I collect from the food I buy; I still have nowhere to plant them!!! It would be the same deal if the suggestion was having and tending your own animals. I mean, it's not like I can buy myself a cow and keep her out on the balcony so I can have fresh milk every day. It's juuuuuuust not possible for me (and for many).

I know this suggestion wasn't written to me personally; but I'm seeing how those who are fixated on gardening are not listening to those of us who are saying it's not an option for all. IT'S NOT AN OPTION FOR ALL; and it's THAT SIMPLE. No matter how desperate we get for food, "finding a way to grow food" will NOT magically BECOME an option.

On a side note: thank you to those who started coming off the damn gardening topic and offering up other idea's, like grouping together to buy in bulk, or creating a barter/exchange, and such. That's far more productive than arguing on whether or not one can grown their own food.

ETA: I'm not coming back to this thread.
Blurazberry... I am one of the people who suggested gardening. Honestly, I'm coming from the heart, because I don't want to hear about people starving because they can't feed their families (in the future, I'm seeing).

I think your defensiveness to the suggestion of 'growing your own' is quite disproportionate to our gentle ideas, tips, and advice. I was not saying that if you don't grow something, you suck. I just wanted to help. Maybe you are so defensive because you see the truth in what we are saying.

I also am very lucky to live in B.C. canada, in probably the nest town in B.C., where everyone around gardens, there is copious advice, food security network, community gardens , you name it... I just want to send out some of those good vibes.

where there's a will, theres a way.
#209 of 257 Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 PM

We've noticed prices going up here too for sure. The newspapers all say that our electric and gas bills are about to go up as well. we've been trying to be energy conscious, but being more gas-friendly as far as "no car" days would help- good ideas. As far as groceries, I've mostly noticed the cost increases in produce, bananas have doubled in the past week. Blueberries, watermelon, asparagus- all those fun and delicious "splurge items" are pretty outrageous even the ones that are locally "in season". I'm trying to get all produce (except bananas which my monkeys have to have), eggs, and meat locally from the farmer's market, that way I have a cash budget and I can also sort of pre-plan what I want to spend. Ie, one lb of grass fed beef and a chicken or whatever the case is. I am thinking local might become more cost efficient soon! As far as our prepackaged items I'm just going as cheap as I can- our local Aldi. Organic dairy and soy from our local Walmart.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#210 of 257 Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBasilThyme View Post
Eesh - I just came here to post a quick gardening question. I don't want to upset anyone by focusing on gardening as the solution, so if I need to move this to its own thread or something, just say the word. :

Anyway, I live in a condo with no balcony, and no way to really do window plants. BUT we have a small wooded area behind the condos. The previous post on foraging for asparagus and leeks made me wonder if I could sort of do a stealth-planting of some of that stuff. No one ever goes back there, except for me when I take my mini nature walks. So I'm thinking that if some veggies grow well enough in wooded areas that they can grow wild, I might be able to find a little empty patch and plant some seeds with minimal upkeep. Has anyone tried this? And are there any other veggies that tend to grow well in shady/wooded environments?
Thats an awesome idea!
Not sure about all the shady ones aside from leeks and I think asparagus. My mom has one asparagus stalk in her forest. Not sure why, but there it grows lol.
Lettuce likes shade- you may loose it to a rabbit though. broccoli.
Im sure there are lots.

Decluttering 500/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page