The Cost of Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went grocery shopping last night; and I was shocked at what I found. I knew prices were on the rise; but some stuff has doubled in cost!! The price of both butter and margarine are through the roof! I ended up choosing margarine because there's no way I can afford butter and not sacrifice something else for it!

I'm really freaked out about this! I can barely afford to survive as it is! I know there's been a lot of discussion about this around MDC; so I don't figure I'll get much discussion about it; but it's just weighing so heavy on my mind right now, I had to 'out' with it!!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM

my friend and i were just talking about this a couple hours ago. i just did some minor shopping today, picking up odds and ends and things that were on sale and i spent $77. i just spend $75 last week and i still have things i need to pick up from another store. we have a family of 5 and its getting a bit out of hand. i noticed gas went up today by ..40 a gallon too. its 3.79 now
#3 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM

It's hurting us too.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#4 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Yep, ouch.
#5 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM

I have also noticed. I'm even more determined to buy in bulk, buy locally, stay away from processed foods, and don't let anything go to waste.
#6 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

For some reason, I haven’t noticed. Is it a regional or specific to certain ways of eating and shopping?
#7 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM

Yeah I don't know if it is my area or teh foods I buy, but the prices have not gone up here yet. I am bracing for it though.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
...buy in bulk, buy locally, stay away from processed foods, and don't let anything go to waste...
I'm going to print that and call it my bible!!! (no offense intended towards a real bible)

I just can't believe it! I mean, I was even AT the No Frills grocery store where things are usually cheap. This is such bad timing for things to be so costly. Not that there's ever a 'good timing'; but more that this is the worst timing for me. I'm already skipping a lot of necessary stuff to help my pregnancy be at it's best. I just keep trying to remind myself that at least I have something, and that's better than nothing.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#9 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM

I have noticed a rise in my food bill, especially the milk, eggs, dairy stuff. And while I can afford the increase, still, we feel it.

I could not imagine being where we were a few years ago, now. We would have had to really change our eating habits (and I am not talking about dinners out, but choice in groceries).

I am sorry so many here are struggling
#10 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM

It's hard, I know. Groceries are always are our biggest money drain--we were spending about $800/month on groceries just a few months ago-- but we were finally able to work out a system that works for us. Now (even with the increasing food prices) our bill is down dramatically. (I sound like an infomercial, don't I? )

It was actually the frugality forum on MDC that was the catalyst, since that's where I learned to shop from the sales fliers at my local stores (for us this means going to three different stores every week, but it's worth it for the $ we save), and use coupons on those sale items as much as possible. I use www.thecouponclippers.com, which costs me about $4/week, but saves me at least $40-50/week, so again, totally worth it. Then, if we stockpile as much as we can afford on the sale items, we don't have to buy it again until it's on sale again, so we're always buying below retail price.

(That is, except for flour and rice, which I haven't been able to find any coupons for, and which are costing an arm and a leg right now!)

P.S. You say, "I'm already skipping a lot of necessary stuff to help my pregnancy be at it's best," and that's worrisome. Do you qualify for any kind of aid, like WIC, to make sure you get all the nutrition you need?
#11 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccalou79 View Post
...You say, "I'm already skipping a lot of necessary stuff to help my pregnancy be at it's best," and that's worrisome. Do you qualify for any kind of aid, like WIC, to make sure you get all the nutrition you need?...
Thanks for your concern. I'm in Canada; so our help system is different than yours; and I'm already using all of the help available to me. It's precious little, unfortunately. I'm right in the middle of a transition at the moment; which is draining my finances (moved; and had to pay rent on two apartments ) so things will get better; it's just bad timing for them not to be good. I do the best I can to be crafty with my food (for example; when I make meatloaf; I use tofu to make more of it cheap and healthfully; and toss it things like spinach and such).

I was just so shocked at how MUCH things went up. Like I said, I knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to be so sudden and dramatic. I hope it's not going to go up any more (or at least not much more!!).

#12 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Look into the Drugstore game, see Money Saving Mom for lots of details. http://www.moneysavingmom.com/

go to the grocery outlet (check their website for locations)
use coupons, get the Mambo Sprouts one. I saved $1 on organic butter (making it cheaper than the regular, even on sale) with a Mambo Sprouts coupon.

go to our Frugality forum for lots of tips.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#13 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm weird, and sometimes I put my grocery bills on my blog just so I have a record for the future one day. I blogged a few last year and hadn't done any in a long time, but I put my Trader Joe's receipt on my blog the other day.

A half gallon of whole milk with the Trader Joe's label was $1.59 last year, it was $1.59 last week. I think it's been $1.59 any time I've ever bought it, but I'm sure it will go up eventually. I did notice eggs were higher than normal. The Chino Valley eggs are normally $0.99 or $1.19 depending on the size, but they were like $1.79 and higher. I paid $4.79 for a pound of organic butter and $3.49 for a dozen organic, cage-free eggs. There wasn't much rice available, but I got a brown rice medley, brown rice mixed with black barley and daikon radish seeds. It was $1.99 for 16 oz.
#14 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Almost all the stuff I normally buy are the same price but some stuff has risen a little (like less than 20 cents)

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#15 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Yeah, we're really feeling it, too. I esp. notice in the things I buy for my youngest, who is underweight. A gallon of organic whole milk is over $6 now, and all the dairy foods I rely on for him are just as bad. I can't stand the thought of giving him conventional dairy, but I might have to. I've never been able to buy organic everything, but my youngest is just so small, and his immune system is somewhat compromised, so I've usually managed to get at least most of his food organic. He eats 3-4 avocados a week, and they're outrageously expensive now. Fortunately peanut butter hasn't gone up much!

I'm feeling fortunate right now that we're vegetarian. If we weren't, I'm not sure we could afford meat anyway, and at least this way it's our choice. I'm feeling extremely fortunate, too, that my decisions so far are about what kind of food to buy, when I know some people are unable to buy enough of what they need.

to all who are struggling. I'm afraid we may be in for a bumpy ride.

computergeek2.gif

#16 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:39 PM

Most of what we eat hasn't really changed but I have noticed it with dairy and eggs. We were getting tillamook brand cheese for about 4.98 per 2 lbs of medium cheddar and thats gone up a dollar in just a few months time. Thankfully we have plenty of wheat stored and haven't needed to buy any in a long time.

:
#17 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry the increase in food prices is hurting you and so many others. We spent almost $100 on food today (no meat or dairy) and it does seem to be more than what this amount of food would normally cost. We're plotting ways to save on food and store large amounts of things we eat a lot of, but this will have to wait until after we move this summer. Being vegetarian certainly helps, though, as a pp mentioned.
#18 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:42 PM

We're struggling too between gas and groceries and we cut out non-essentials months ago so I don't know how much more we can cut. I've decided we're going to be eating way more veg meals (dh doesn't know this yet!) and I'm cutting back on some things so that we can still get our organic stuff occasionally. Just in the past few months I've switched to mama cloth, family cloth (dh hates this one!) and cloth wipes and kitchen cloth. We have some cloth dipes but I can't afford a full stash for twins who will be potty trained soon anyway. We don't use shampoo or conditioner and I make my own deoderant and laundry soap. We're still using bulk dish soap and toothpaste and I quit using the dishwasher so that's helped quite a bit too. Still, I don't know how much more we can cut if this keeps up. It's terribly stressful!
#19 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM

I've noticed it mostly with produce and flour. A month ago I bought a 5lb. bag of organic flour for just over $3. The same bag is now over $6!
#20 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM

I've noticed coffee is through the roof. The cheap kind is now as expensive as the name brands were, if not more so, and the name brands are insanely pricey. I'm not talking Starbucks; I'm talking Folgers.

Luckily I am OK with drinking cheap coffee : as long as it's brewed and waiting for me at 6am!
#21 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
For some reason, I haven’t noticed. Is it a regional or specific to certain ways of eating and shopping?
I haven't either.

My farm eggs are still either 3 or 4 dollars a dozen depending on the farm. My beef is grassfed so grain prices don't make that go up, the hamburger is still $5/pound.

Maybe I'm just oblivious to everything but I'm not feeling a huge increase. I also think that food prices in america have been artificially low for so long due to farm subsidies, and now they are evening out.
#22 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I haven't either.

My farm eggs are still either 3 or 4 dollars a dozen depending on the farm. My beef is grassfed so grain prices don't make that go up, the hamburger is still $5/pound.

Maybe I'm just oblivious to everything but I'm not feeling a huge increase. I also think that food prices in america have been artificially low for so long due to farm subsidies, and now they are evening out.

Exactly.

The same vendors at the farmers market are still selling their pastured eggs, chicken, grass-fed beef, nuts, locally made fermented foods, Blue Bottle Coffee and seasonal, local produce at the same prices. Even the canned coconut milk, sea veggies, wine (European and California) and other packaged foods we buy are the same prices.

I don’t eat (any) grains, soy, milk, factory meat or non-local produce so that may have something to do with it. Maybe if you live in an area where they dont have "local" produce and other foods, I can see an increase.
#23 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM

I thought it was just because I'm pregnant and buying a few "convenience" items...but I've been spending our entire $200 weekly grocery budget on groceries...in the past I'd spend $120-$160 and save the rest for stuff I wanted. Sigh.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#24 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM

i have noticed this... without any change to spending - i now spend $50 a week more now then i did about 6 weeks ago.

What odd - is for us - the difference between organic and non-organic stuff that we do get has gotten smaller so it almost makes sense to get the organic stuff when i can (which i do).

We'll be moving soon (step-MIL sold house we all live in), so we'll be having more veg meals soon (since i'm mostly veg, but i've been doing some meat for step-MIL and DH), so i hope that helps

ETA - what will ALSO help is that i should be able to walk to the store now, rather then relay on DH to drive me (i don't drive)... so that will cut out having DH "help" with shopping, KWIM?

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#25 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow. Food is so much cheaper in the States. I pay $4.99 for organic eggs or sometimes $4.69 if I get the smaller ones. $2.79 for a litre of organic milk (3.78 litres per gallon I believe) and butter is $3.99 a pound, not organic.

I'm not sure if prices have gone up, I haven't been paying attention. Those are the 'normal' prices.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#26 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been blaming the increase on our change in location...maybe that isn't it. A year ago, we lived in Texas, and things were a lot cheaper there than there are here in New York. We're used to getting cheap avocados, jalapenos, limes, cumin, cilantro, black beans, good tortillas - you know, the makings of all things Tex-Mex - for really cheap, and that just isn't what we're finding here. I can't wait to get back to Texas to see how much these foods cost after a year of being away.
#27 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
Exactly.

The same vendors at the farmers market are still selling their pastured eggs, chicken, grass-fed beef, nuts, locally made fermented foods, Blue Bottle Coffee and seasonal, local produce at the same prices. Even the canned coconut milk, sea veggies, wine (European and California) and other packaged foods we buy are the same prices.

I don’t eat (any) grains, soy, milk, factory meat or non-local produce so that may have something to do with it. Maybe if you live in an area where they dont have "local" produce and other foods, I can see an increase.

Yeah. The prices at the Farmer's Market (it just started last weekend, and there are only early spring greens available at this point), and the prices haven't gone up there. My CSA is the same price this year too. We can only get local produce about 5 months out of the year here, though.
#28 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 PM

I've noticed too, that the price between organic and non-organic isn't as huge as it used to be. On some things anyways. On my last trip to the store, (I think it was Sunday), regular bananas were 69 cents/pound; organic were 79 cents/pound.

I have noticed that the prices on flour are going up around here. I think I'm going to start ordering in bulk from Bob's Red Mill, instead of buying it at the store. It's a much better deal.
#29 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM

Ive noticed it too. Before I could find a lot of things on sale for 99c, but I havent been able to find much lately. Not even 99c bread, its all at least $1.39 or so. Its small markups like that. I need to go to Costco, because their 4 pack of butter is really cheap compared to buying it box by box at the store.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#30 of 257 Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I haven't noticed much difference in food prices, but I do notice our prices are quite a bit higher to begin with (in Canada). If you buy organic milk in the grocery store it's 5-7 dollars for a half gallon, and organic butter is about 8 or 9 dollars a pound. I buy all my dairy direct from a farmer so it's cheaper than at a store, but still more than most american prices.
I hear beans and rice and things will all be more expensive in my area soon, and I wish I wasn't moving so I could stock up.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page