$50 on Liquor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working towards getting our $500/month grocery bill down to $400. I look at the list where we track how much we spend on groceries and DH has written down $57 for liquor. For liquor! Granted, we drink so seldom that we'll have some of it for a year. But still.

This is so unlike him, and I'm frustrated.

That is about 1/8 of our grocery budget. Ugh.
#2 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM

So is it really $57 a month? Or $57 every 4 months? or $57 once a year?
#3 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Good point.

It's $57 *this* month, which is the very month I made a goal to get grocery spending down to $400. So, that's why I'm asking, "what gives?"

It's not per year because we do buy wine throughout the year. We spend more than $57 on liquor per year, but I don't know exactly how much.
#4 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM

If it's monthly I'd be upset and putting a stop to all alcohol. If it's a one time splurge for a special occasion (having people over? an event coming up? Stocking the liquor cabinet?) and it won't happen again for many more months then I wouldn't be too upset about it as long as you can afford it.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#5 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:39 PM

That's probably about what we spend monthly on alcohol. Doesn't seem that excessive to me.
#6 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
That's probably about what we spend monthly on alcohol. Doesn't seem that excessive to me.
Same here.
#7 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post
Good point.

It's $57 *this* month, which is the very month I made a goal to get grocery spending down to $400. So, that's why I'm asking, "what gives?"

It's not per year because we do buy wine throughout the year. We spend more than $57 on liquor per year, but I don't know exactly how much.
Divide it out over a few months. Then start keeping track over more than just one month, and you'll find lots of opportunities to cut back. You might have another month where health and beauty aids are the big cost, or something else.
#8 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Not ecxessive in the least! We spend about $250 a month!

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#9 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Can I come over?

DP would FREAK OUT if I spent that much at once. Of course he is a notorious nickel and dimer....

ITA with PP's who have said that as long as it isn't every month it shouldn't be a big deal, unless you are having to do without staples or needed money as a result.

#10 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't think it's really that much, we buy at least a half case of decent beer weekly at $10 bucks a pop, and last week I did go to the liquor store and spent $28 on some Tequila and Rum(when it's hot it's so nice to have a magarita or a daquiri). When it's winter we usually buy a bottle of Irish cream a week, instead of the beer, so for us it all balances out, although we do consume more beer in the summer. It's just more of a seasonal thing, like BBQs.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 PM

I agree that it doesn't seem excessive an amount. For us, that would be a good case of beer (for DH) and two bottles of wine (for me). FOr a month, I think that's pretty reasonable. My BIL could spent that on just one case of his fancy belgian beer
#12 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We generally drink a bottle of wine every week, and we prefer the lighter, less expensive wines- so at $4 to $6 a bottle, that could easily come to $25 a month. I can easily see how you could double that without being "heavy drinkers" or buying super-expensive beverages.

I don't think of alcohol as being part of the "grocery" budget at all. Groceries are food, period. Alcohol comes under "entertainment". Toilet paper, shampoo, dish detergent, etc. come under "household supplies".

Are you trying to cut your "food" budget to $400 a month, or your total household budget to $400 a month? There's a significant difference.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#13 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM

This? Is why we homebrew. $57 would be the ingredients for a batch (36-ish bottles) of hard cider and a batch of decent beer. We reuse bottles from batch to batch, but we occasionally have to buy a gross of bottle caps.
#14 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

I don't think of alcohol as being part of the "grocery" budget at all. Groceries are food, period. Alcohol comes under "entertainment". Toilet paper, shampoo, dish detergent, etc. come under "household supplies".

Are you trying to cut your "food" budget to $400 a month, or your total household budget to $400 a month? There's a significant difference.
This.

I do lump food and household supplies into the same catagory but alcohol goes under "extras" like videos or starbucks.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#15 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My husband has some very particular taste in alcohol. We buy it only occasionally, but when we do $57 is nothing. He has been known to go buy a $300 bottle of port. (It was really good port.) He buys alcohol two or three times a year. $300 is normally more steep than I'm ok with--but $150/bottle of something is pretty normal.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#16 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 03:22 PM

We spend over $50 a month on alcohol every month so it doesn't seem excessive to me either, especially if you are going to be drinking it throughout the year. HOWEVER I understand how frustrating it is to try and stick to a budget and have all these splurges taking you over what you had planned

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#17 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM

I think it's reasonable...so long as you're not going with out a necessity to allow the $$ for it.

I spend $57 on wine alone a month easily, particularly if I'm entertaining which I do more of in the warmer weather.
#18 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM

I am just realizing how little I must drink because I don't think I have spent $57 on alcohol this year This must change
#19 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM

$57 isn't much here either. Dh usually only buys beer, now & then he'll buy spiced rum & whether he buys a mickey or a 26 or a 40 depends on the current funds since he needs mix & ice too. Beer is cheaper & he now drinks an even cheaper pilsner instead of the actual pilsner brand. When he brews his own it's about $30 & those are stronger than store bought so he doesn't go through them quite as fast. If we don't have the $ for his beer he doesn't get it, food comes first. IF he has something coming up(like family coming over) he'll save up & we make sure we have it in the extra funds.
#20 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 PM

$57 on alcohol doesnt last long here either.

Between beer, wine, and hard liquor....I think we spend about $150 a month.

Desiree

#21 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM

We spend so much more than this on wine! Let's see at least three bottles per week at $13 per. That's $39 in one week! Just to offer some perspective!
#22 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm pregnant so we're not spending money on anything alcohol related at the moment but we tend to just buy liquor at dutyfree and wine if we're visiting a vineyard or something. That's probably not often.

$57 isn't alot for liquor if it's for more than one month but I know what you mean about it coming out of the grocery budget. Maybe put it under another category, then you can still have that $400 for groceries.
#23 of 39 Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 PM

I figure we spend $80 on month on liquor. We don't go out to eat, we don't go to bars, we don't go to movies, but we need something fun to do at home and frankly, drinking is fun. On the weekends we work hard on the yard and the house then around 6 pm it's time for a shot of Jager and a beer. Then after the kids go to bed, repeat one more time. We don't have cable or satellite TV, our entertainment is Netflix and booze. I'm fine with that. I think spending more than what we do would become an issue because we bring in less than 2k a month, but we manage to squeeze a little booze into our monthly budget and $57 doesn't seem abnormal or unreasonable at all for people who enjoy some drinks at least twice a week. JMO.
#24 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post

WOOT! Party at your house!
#25 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 PM

I think $57 can be a reasonable amount. If DH and I have a beer a night, that's over two cases of beer a month. And the stuff we buy is usually around $1/bottle. (We don't have much opportunity to go out.)

But, if I am economizing, I might look at the hard liquors on hand. For example we have some vodka in the liquor cabinet - vodka tonics are a favorite of mine.

I find hard liquor/mixed drinks tend to be cheaper. But if times are really tight, we'll just not get beer.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#26 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Don't feel too bad...

I'm probably spending at *least* that much on liquor and beer for this weekend alone...just for me and my brother...haha! We're taking a birthday trip up to Washington for a big music/camping festival...gonna be fun
#27 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
haha i was thinking the same thing. We spent around $80 a few months ago at the liquor store.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#28 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM

IMO liquor should not be coming out of the food budget. Make him use his personal spending $ on it instead.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#29 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
Well, not really. When a party is involved it's closer to $400 for the month.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#30 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post
Not to pry, but HOW is that spent? Wow, I don't think DH and I have spent that much on liquor in the last 10 years we've been together, LOL.

To the OP, ask for liquor for Christmas and birthdays. I know in my family, men are normally given nice bottles of Whiskey or Vodka.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page