Let's pretend: Gas is $10 a gallon - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 237 Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Cool, but oil is still used. They supply to 160 households ("in the bay area.") Do all of those families walk to the food, and walk it back home?
I'm not sure about the Live Power farm since I don't subscribe to them, but some of the CSAs/co-ops in the area use vegetable oil fueled delivery vehicles. It's not a perfect solution, but it's pretty good right now when there is a lot of vegetable oil going to waste.
#182 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
We've yet to tow anything with it, but we've only had it maybe 2 weeks. Maybe when/if we get a boat or jet skis, but right now it's used for carrying more people than my Civic. We'll use it for camping and other vacations come summertime also. Like I said, we don't drive it that much, just when needed.

And, I think it is technically a crossover... don't quote me, though
The Pilot is officially classified as a midsize SUV, and it is built on the same frame as the Ridgeline (the honda truck), (my dh is mechanic at a Honda dealership so I asked him).

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#183 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronsMama View Post
The Pilot is officially classified as a midsize SUV, and it is built on the same frame as the Ridgeline (the honda truck), (my dh is mechanic at a Honda dealership so I asked him).

Not to be argumentative, but no it's not. The Pilot is a "car-based SUV" (instead of a truck-based SUV); also known as a "crossover".

Midsize SUV simply means it's a Mid-sized sports utility vehicle, which it is.

Is your DH talking about the '09 Pilot...? The only info I found was that the Ridgeline is similar to a modified Pilot, but... "although it shares some of its running gear with the Honda Pilot, fully 90 percent of the Ridgeline is unique and should not just be considered the pickup version of Honda's SUV."

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#184 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:41 AM

anyway back to the practicality of the OP..

If fuel continues to rise and the costs of goods continue to rise my LARGE family BY CHOICE is going to have to consolidate and regroup many things. Right now DH has a camry hybrid (we hate it for a number of reasons, none of which i wish to debate here) and i have an odyssey, which i love but cant fit everyone.

Right now we have significantly cut non-family spending. meaning anyone not living in our house (Except andrew and kathryn) dont get cards, bday presents, etc. Its just not in the budget.
I continously scour the internet for free shipping options and sales, usually it ends up cheaper then heading to the mall.

I religiously GROCERY GAME and stockpile on sale items, i have to continue to do more of that.

DH would definatley work from home and conference call 90% of the time.
#185 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 AM

I was thinking about all our concerns voiced on this thread last night and maybe what we will really do differently when the fuel prices rise even more is this:
organise more activities for children nearer homes
get together with our closest neighbours (be it 2 yards or 2 miles) for mutual support more
get more play areas established
give the local shops another chance
create more small local schools and kindergartens
start allotment gardens
force the government to establish better public transport
and in general revive the community spirit a bit more
This things will only happen if there is the need for them, so maybe out of necessity we will just create places where we will simply not need to drive so much.
#186 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiblyn View Post
You shop differently too. You go more often and buy fewer groceries. So you go once or twice a week and only buy the food you are going to eat that week. It's not always easy, but you can seriously cut down on food costs and on gas by planning your meals out and buying them weekly like that. It can reduce the amount of food you lose to spoilage dramatically. They've been doing it in Europe for years.
Totally. We call it a "big shop" if it's one planned to last for a week. If we want to stock up on store cupboard or bulky items that would be a hassle to carry, we order online & get them delivered. But normally, I pick up things from the shop every other day or so - but I have to walk past the shops every time I go to the bus-stop, so it's not out of the way or anything.
#187 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=A&A;11292546]For those of you who live in the suburbs, and would move to the city if gas were $10/gal, just whom do you think would WANT TO BUY your piece of suburbia that has neither the benefits of the city nor the country??

[QUOTE]

Someone with a lot more $$ than I will have at that point. My NJ suburb is consistently listed in all of the "best places to live" reports and even at $10 a gallon, I think it will stay in demand. Most of the families here are single income, over $100,000 per year, etc.

I am not one that thinks moving to the city would be the answer though--I would advocate getting my husband out of his commuting job (1.30 hr each way by train) and finding him something local or telecommutable. I work from home now, and go in the city once a week for meetings--my company pays for the travel expense each week as part of my negotiations with them. We live at the ocean--I'm not moving!

Also, regarding SUV's in suburbia--I have a Ford Escape. It's ok--I've had it for almost five years now. We use it for groceries and children and pets, yes, but we also fill up the back with dirt and lumber depending on what we're doing here--gardening or building, surfboards and kayaks, bikes to go the beach, etc. I suppose a roofrack would handle everything but the dirt and lumber?
#188 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 09:54 AM

I am asking myself what I can do now... Here fuel is all over $4 a gallon.

I wish we had a big wad of money just sitting around we could use to get a more fuel efficient car for DH, but we don't and are not able to take a loan.... I wish we could get that wood burning stove for the basement (that would hook up to the base board hot water heat and heat the whole house as well as the water) but we don't have the $ for that right now either.

So I have to make small steps... do what I can with what I have already. I am increasing my gardens : ) I love gardening anyway, so any excuse there : ) I am doing 2 "no drive" days a week, aiming for a 3rd. We jsut put up a HUGE clothes line! I had 4 loads of wash on it the other day and could have fit a 5th! My kids and I are planning a summer of being mostly at home... we are not doing the CSA, but instead are going to be shopping at the closer farmers market where there are organic vendors and our $30 a week can be used on what we eat more of and don't grow ourselves (lots of fruit!). I am trying to makes lists of what I am doing and can do, to help myself not feel so down about the big things I can't yet do...

I do really wish, and would encourage any of you who are moving, to buy/rent in an area with public transport of some kind and even better would be to live some place we could walk/ride bikes to things like a park and stores.... the only thing we could walk to now is a liquir store : ( and we don't really go there... so this is something we are considering for the future. right now we would take such a hit on the house that we bought last year that we can't do this...
#189 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM

I haven't seen anyone mention this but has anyone thought of stockpiling gas? DH and I were discussing the merits of having 1 or 2 55 gallon drums of gas on hand to cushion the blow of any sharp increase in price.

And we've decided not to wait until gas is $10 a gallon. We're trying to be proactive now. We think $5 or $6 a gallon is going to be the new norm and seasonal demand spikes will take prices higher than that.

We knew that gas was going to hit the wall in our lifetime, but we didn't think things would get so bad so fast. There was an analyst on the news yesterday that said the reason the Saudis won't bump up production is because they don't have any more oil--this is pretty scary if it's true. Some analysts think gas could go as high as $12 a gallon, but other say the cap will be $6 or $7 (as I mentioned above, I think $5 or $6 will be the new normal with spikes based on demand).

Anyway, our action plan so far is:

1. Small stockpile
2. Carpool (although we have not had luck finding anyone so far)
3.Research which vehicle to buy the next time we buy
4.Look into alternative fuels(make our own, convert the van to E85 etc...)
5. Learn about hyperdriving (does anyone have any links?--I haven't found anything good on the topic yet).
6. Garden and maybe look into chickens

We already tried to sell our house and failed. Although on the upside we do have a cheap mortgage, but on the downside, we are far away from DH's work. DH drives against rush hour, everyone is coming into the city as he leaves it to go out to the country for work. He drives about 40 miles a day. So he can't bike and carpooling is proving to be difficult and there's no public transportation. I'm at home and our gas usage is minimal.

Food and medical care are w/i walking distance (although a bit of a hike) so at worst, we'd be covered there.

Lastly, if gas keeps going up do you think the US govt would outlaw speculation on the stock market? That's part of what is driving up the price, people speculating on the future price of oil (which of course will be high) and it just drives the price up faster and higher almost artificially inflating it. Particularly with analysts running around screaming 'it's going to be $12 a gallon!'.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#190 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:10 AM

we had 2 drums of it that Dh got for free, was going to be disposed of by his work, but when the prices sky rocketed we ended up using it... : ( Now he is just not using his truck hardly at all until he can get the "hot box" he is making for the back of it, is complete (to run straight veggie oil). The thing we are hearing now tho is it is not so easy to find straight veggie oil for free to run in them, so many people are wanting it...
#191 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Checking back in on the thread :
To the pp who mentioned the Air Car, I'm already on their e-mail list anxiously: awaiting an announcement as to when they plan on selling in the US It has all my minimum requirements for an alternative car: seats 6, has a top speed of >55 mph and can go >50 mi between charges or fuel fill ups.

I wonder if we suddenly saw $10/gal in the next two years, whether or not large corporations would rethink locating their buildings in suburban office parks to more urban settings that have public transportation?

If we suddenly saw $10 would places like Tucson, AZ stop their ever-expanding suburban sprawl and be more circumspect and push for a tighter population density?
#192 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM

I think something people are missing in this whole "biking on the freeway discussion" is that if gas gets to $10/gallon the freeways aren't going to be nearly as dangerous--no traffic.

It's not just people who want to be extra frugal and environmentally aware who will be making these lifestyle choices, it's everyone.
#193 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I think something people are missing in this whole "biking on the freeway discussion" is that if gas gets to $10/gallon the freeways aren't going to be nearly as dangerous--no traffic.

It's not just people who want to be extra frugal and environmentally aware who will be making these lifestyle choices, it's everyone.
Agreed. We did get a little side-tracked there
#194 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Less traffic or no, the way people drive around here, I wouldn't do it. Not to even mention the fact that regardless of traffic, it's still illegal.

Around here we have to contend with the ever rising bridge tolls in addition to the gas prices. Gas hit $4/gallon yesterday (diesel broke $5), and daily bridge toll for DH to get to work is another $4. Moving closer to his work isn't an option, we'd never be able to afford it, so he's looking for a job that is either closer to home, or closer to public transportation. We bought our house 10 years ago, we could never afford to buy around here now. But, with a centrally located house near public transport, in a few years we're hoping we'll be able to rent it out (our mortgage is already way lower than rents around here), and move further out to the country where we'll be able to be more self-sufficient. Assuming he can get a tele-commutable job.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#195 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Good point about less traffic making biking on freeways safer, and in that situation I doubt any laws against it would be enforced, in fact we would likely see the freeways become geared towards bikers instead of cars.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#196 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM

oops
#197 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 01:16 PM

Well, for those of us that are outside the cities in areas that driving is the norm and walking/ biking are more difficult, I think the key will be our relationships w/ our neighbors and the community.

I know that when DH and I moved into our house 2 months ago, we immediately introduced ourselves to our neighbors and made it clear that we are interested in good neighborly relationships. In the 2 months we've been here, it's already paid off. As first time home owners, we are learning as we go when it comes to repairs and home care and 1 of our neighbors has kind of taken us under their wing and comes over and helps when we express some frustration or ask questions, etc. They have also offered their tools for our use, their truck for hauling stuff that may not fit on our Grand Cherokee, and extended invites for dinner/ cookouts/ etc.

I think this is going to be key when gas gets too expensive. Offering to alternate shopping, errands, etc is going to help lower the driving for both families. Sharing garden bounties and splitting large meat and bulk orders will help w/ rising food costs.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#198 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM

nm

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#199 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM

For our family lifestyle, I don't think much would change. I do have and SUV that gets 16mpg, but it's what we need inorder to fit everyone and also haul stuff. We live about an hour from Wal-Mart, so we only go about once a month or so. We are 15 minutes from the local grocery store and DH goes once a week. I rarely leave the house b/c its' just really hard w/ all of our kids (ages 5, 3 and 2 5-month olds). I usually do a lot of internet shopping w/ free shipping (UPS guy knows me and our kids by name), and that would probably increase to include bulk foods when possible. Otherwise, we personally don't use much gas. DH has a business here on our land, so no commute.

What WOULD change is our business. Honestly at $10/gal gas I don't know how long we'd be able to operate. I"m thinking there would come a time when there would be no money making at all, so we'd have to shut down temporarily until things picked back up. Currently we are on quotas at most of the places we sell to, with price drops as well. DH and I often talk of just taking off work and living off the land for a while. We have a big farm, plenty of beef and the ability to raise most of our own food, so that might be what we did for a while. I'm honestly not really scared about it, if that's what happens it's just what happens. We have always lived within our means and will adjust to whatever we have to in order to get by.
#200 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 PM

I sent my DH the Hummer vs Prius article that someone posted here earlier and he sent me this back:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200....asp#headaches
#201 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM

My husband works for Qwest as a lineman. It looks like all the outside people (those driving trucks) are going to four 10 hour shifts a week.
#202 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
My husband works for Qwest as a lineman. It looks like all the outside people (those driving trucks) are going to four 10 hour shifts a week.
I hope to see more flexibility from employers. I had a maddening experience with an employer a few years ago. Most everyone at this organization (a community college) worked 8:30-4:30, although it was sort of up to one's supervisor how rigidly that was required. I really wanted to work 9-5 because of my son's childcare schedule. Also I was commuting much farther than most of my co-workers, and I wanted to carpool with a friend who had the same childcare schedule as I did. There wasn't any particularly good reason why it wouldn't have worked just fine. There was no "public" I needed to be available to, my work was almost all self-directed, etc. It was going to make things a LOT more convenient for my family, and save us a LOT of money, at no cost to my employer. My supervisor thought about it and finally came back with, "Eh, no," and didn't give any kind of reason other than "The hours are what they are." So I was stuck with two choices, either paying $150 more a month for early drop-off, or DH having to go way out of his way every morning to take DS to preschool at the regular drop-off time.

Then Katrina hit. And there were the gas shortages and price spikes. And our state governor officially declared that state employees should be encouraged, and given reasonable accommodation, to form car pools. FINALLY I was allowed to adjust my schedule by 30 minutes. I still roll my eyes that it took "an act of God" to get this little concession in my workplace.
#203 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think we probably do most anything we would do if gas were more expensive.

we take the bus (although we would take it more in the winter than we do now) we do as many of our errends in one place as possible (our grocery store is really great and it cost a little more but the savings from gas more than covers it. I can't believe people drive all over Gods green earth to save a few dollars on groceries. I can get all my groceries including organic stuff, pet stuff except for food but so far our first bag of dog food has lasted 2 months and looks like it will easily last another two, it has a florist, post office, resteraunts, deli, and enough of a baby and kid stuff to get birthday presents. oh and gas.) if we just need an item or two we walk to the scuzzy store down the street. We try t stick to parks and activities within walking distance (and yes this means saying no to some fun stuff), we can walk or ride our bikes to work (i am not working any more and didn't often ride but if gas were $10 a gallon I sure would) we carpool whenever we can.

I would definitely get a car with better gas milage. I get between 9 and 12 miles to a gallon but my car is paid off and i manage to stay within my gas budget most months (250 miles or 20 gallons). Since it is paid of and has no resale value it is cheaper to keep her for now but it is getting closer and closer to better milage making the difference in a car payment. I have three children, one still in a booster and a dog and we can easily fit into a compact car. I am just waiting for the right one.

I heard an interesting report once that sighted $5 per gallon as a the breaking point where cities and groups will start organizing around communities and things like grocery stores, drug stores, school, libraries, parks and community centers, restaurants etc will start being centrally located in communities and public transit will start getting more usable etc . We are already starting to see it here. I am actually kinda excited to see gas hit that breaking point and people being forced to rethink how they live their lives.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#204 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 PM

We would see about buying something that could be converted to biodiesel, or a hybrid car.
#205 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I haven't had time to read this entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, BUT... and I say this in loving concern... you need to make most of those changes NOW.

No one will want your gas-guzzler, and you may not be able to afford a high mpg vehicle by that time. Used high-mpg cars will be snatched up all over the place. If you must move, you should do it now.

That said:
We will expand (and are currently expanding) our garden and have sent out the word that we want a milk goat. This will greatly reduce A) trips to town and B) money spent on groceries themselves. If things get REALLY bad, we will be moving in with extended family and pooling resources. It might not be a bad idea for some of you all to make such plans, too. Just in case.

Our biggest hurdle right now is DH's job. Right now it's down the street, but they are transferring headquarters to an hour-ish away. Even with his car getting 40mpg, that commute will NOT pay very well if at all if gas prices continue to jump. Our primary goal is working on self-sufficiency, so that if we have to do without income for a while, we'll at least have plenty to eat.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#206 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
I haven't had time to read this entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, BUT... and I say this in loving concern... you need to make most of those changes NOW.
And this is exactly why I posted this thread (Hi, OP here). I want to start making these changes now, while $10 gas is still "pretend," and while I can still afford to do so.

I think expensive gas will really require a return to smaller, more self-efficient communities, and the more we start thinking about these things now, the easier the transition can be.

I think I'm going to go ahead and start looking for a bike and trailer, even tho I'm on a tight budget and might have to put it on a credit card (hopefully I can find a good deal used, and use one of those 0% promotional checks).

Thanks for all the thoughtful ideas and links. Keep them coming!
#207 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fid a Giant bicycle dealer. Nice well made bikes. They are going to last you longer and be more usable than a cheap bike. It generally includes a service warrenty, and our local shop also offers (through Giant) 1 year same as cash payment plans. I hate debt but with the price of gas a nice rideable bike will pay fopr itself in a few months if you use it well. (get a gender specific seat and gell gloves. ) Also pay a little extra now for a nice, light weight two seater trailer with lots of crago space. Not only will it be easier to pull and haul stuff but the resale value will be exceptional. I recommend burley or chariot brands.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#208 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Well when we lived in england we paid like 9 bucks a gallon for it anyway, so we dont think much about it right now lol.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#209 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM

After reading the first five pages of this thread, it realy has made me think. And forgive me if this has already been said or addressed, i haven't finished the thread and need to get to sleep.
Everyone has all these wondful solutions for the WHAT IF.... But my thought is WHY? WHY are we waiting until the what if happens to take these actions? WHY aren't we doing these things now adn making the world a better place by choice instead of force. THink how great it would be if the demand for oil were not there and therefor it never reached over $5 a gallon here in the US> (I know it is higher elsewhere already.... ) WHY can't we be proactive instead of reactive? I LOVE those that have said they use no cars, or have made great adjustments or have palnned their lives strategically to avoid the need for oil dependency.. THat is wonderful. We live in an area that has no public transportation. It is very rural and even very few opportunities for ride shares are available. However we have decided that we simply cannot give in to the rising costs., DH got a job closer to home. We gave up luxaries that are unecessary. We buy in bulk, shop as local as possible. and multi task on errands. DH cannot bike to work, (he moved his job closer to home but nothign close enough to bike and still spend time with us everyday) but he has an older very reliable good gas mileage car that we use as often as possible. He picks up things we need on his way home and does errands by foot on his lunch hour. We do the best we can but we do it now. We arent' waiting until the catastrophe hits to make teh changes. We already have made them. Cutting back on all the programs and stuff that kids are overscheduled into anyway is a HUGE things for people. However there are far greater benefits that can be found at home in with your family than in a YMCA . I'm mainly a lurker but I read alot.... dont' post much but had to share my thoughts on this one.
Also thanks for the link on the motorized kit for bikes... perhaps DH could get even better mileage... as he loves to bike, but it woudl make a super long day away from home to travel both way on bike..
#210 of 237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post

No one will want your gas-guzzler, and you may not be able to afford a high mpg vehicle by that time. Used high-mpg cars will be snatched up all over the place. If you must move, you should do it now.

That said:
We will expand (and are currently expanding) our garden and have sent out the word that we want a milk goat. This will greatly reduce A) trips to town and B) money spent on groceries themselves. If things get REALLY bad, we will be moving in with extended family and pooling resources. It might not be a bad idea for some of you all to make such plans, too. Just in case.

Our biggest hurdle right now is DH's job. Right now it's down the street, but they are transferring headquarters to an hour-ish away. Even with his car getting 40mpg, that commute will NOT pay very well if at all if gas prices continue to jump. Our primary goal is working on self-sufficiency, so that if we have to do without income for a while, we'll at least have plenty to eat.
I hadn't read your post yet when i replied to the first five pages i had read... I was thinking exactly what you were! Great minds think alike
Glad to see I wasnt' the only one going... UM what about NOW rather than waiting...
Just had to share again after i was reading more

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page