Let's pretend: Gas is $10 a gallon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you do differently? Today I was running some errands, and I thought to myself, what if gas were $10 a gallon? How would that affect my lifestyle choices, and the way I drive?

I found myself driving a lot more consciously, coasting up to lights, accelerating more slowly, etc. And I took the ugly route home--the one with no stops--instead of the route by all the pretty houses, and stop signs at every other block.

I think if gas were $10 a gallon, I would do a better job of consolidating my errands to one day a week. I would start walking to places like the bank, just around the corner, and the park, just a mile down the road (it's a long walk with two kiddos and a heavy stroller, but if gas were really $10 a gallon, I would just have to tough it out).

I don't know if I would use public transport more or not. I've never quite understood how one is to manage, say, grocery shopping, with two small kiddos and lots of grocery bags. I don't see how it's possible.

I wouldn't move, because I'm in a great location no more than 3 or 4 miles from anything I need to do. And I wouldn't sell my car, because it's a little 4 cylinder that gets about 30 miles to the gallon. I wouldn't change my job, because I work from home (zero commute--very nice). But I can imagine that a lot of people would have to make one or more of those big changes.

I think I'm going to keep pretending gas is $10 a gallon, so that I can get into that mindset of thinking of gas as a scarce resource that I need to conserve as much as possible. Well, I mean, I've always tried to conserve gas, but I'd like to start taking conservation even more seriously than I have before.

If gas were $10 a gallon, what would you do differently?
#2 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 PM

I like that idea! At that price it would definitely be cost effective to take the train to work. Although all the train prices would go up too probably :

I would walk as much as possible!

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#3 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 PM

I would have to do a lot differently. We tend to drive a lot! Everything is so far away. We are trying to sell our house right now, actually.
#4 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 PM

#5 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM

We'd have to move as close to DH's job as we could afford.
Go out strictly once a week to run errands. Stay as close to home as possible.
Cut down our trips to see his mother (she lives 4+ hours away)
Cut down our trips to see my parents (they live an hour a way)

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#6 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM

If gas was $10/gallon...
We would have to move closer to where dh works ... which is in the middle of nowhere. We'd have to only come into town one day a week so my older children would have to give up swimming lessons, youth groups etc and we'd only be able to see my mom that day each week as well. We'd have to make sure all our errands would be done that day.
I can't even imagine. It would suck so bad!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#7 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
COnvert dh's bike to a gas powered one and tell him to deal with the snow.

Oh and buy horses.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Oh, I wouldn't be able to go anywhere we couldn't walk late November through April, though. Snow, forgot about snow!
#9 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

I thought of something else I would do--I would definitely invest in a good bike (not motor-powered though, that intimidates me) and a good double jogging stroller/bike trailer combo. I'm glad I live in a town with nice bike lanes.
#10 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 PM

I would definitely try harder to combine errands and find things to do closer to home. We're already halfway to $10 a gallon where we are. Today I put $20 in the car and was shortly running on a fuel light .

4 kids under 10
#11 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Oh and buy horses.
Trust me..that won't save you any money.

I would see my parents once a year.
Stop driving store to store to save a few bucks.
Selectively participate in our homeschool group outings. <--Already doing this
Wouldn't go on road trips.
Would try to save up for a hybrid as our next car.
Would try to live closer to dh's job and school.
#12 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 PM

Well lately I've been taking my kids on longer and longer walks when we go out for "fun" (church, pizza, haircuts). I've also been taking them on the train when we go to the museum, they love it, and it's cheap!

Next year everyone's school is within walking distance and I can't wait to see how many days in a row I can go without driving anywhere!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#13 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 PM

We're already selling our house to move 50 miles closer to dh's work. I'd probably end up living with in-laws every weekend next spring to not have to drive up here once a week, or would end up just not getting my degree.

It'd definitely make this:
http://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web2.68
less of a luxury item.
#14 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 PM

http://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web2.68

That is awesome and awesome and awesome and there is no reason for it to cost $3000. Now I know the next project I'm going to tell my mayun to work on.
#15 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeet View Post
We go through two tanks of gas a week, which is about 30 gallons of gas. So that'd be $300/week. Probably would save money on a horse at that rate. Except a horse isn't going to be able to make a daily 50 mile commute (100 round trip) so it's a moot point. Not to mention the vet and doctor bills if one tried to go that distance on a horse.
#16 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Things wouldn't change much except no more road trips/out of town travelling (which we already have cut down considerably).
#17 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM

I would take the bus or bike to work. I would probably bike to my community garden plot.

DH and DD have started taking the bus to the library once a week; they'd probably use the bus for more errands. We are lucky to live on two frequent bus lines. Plus, I work for the bus company - free passes for me and my dependents.

Our weekly trip to the u-pick-it farm would become biweekly.

We would shop at places on the bus line.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#18 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd have to quit my job as it involves a lot of driving in the country to do home visits. I already bought a new bike trailer so I'd be using that as my car to run errands around my small town.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#19 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeet View Post
True they're expensive, but hopefully I'll get my acreage soon and rescue one or two.

#20 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You'd brace yourself for the next Great Depression, if it wasn't happening already.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#21 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM

We are car-free and always have been.

We bought our house very strategically, right on a bus route, in an area that we could never afford to live in if we had to make car payments. I put dd on the waiting list for a great preschool as soon as I knew we would likely be buying in this area.

We have a bike trailer. You would be AMAZED what you can get in one of those.

I only have one child; but I can do grocery shopping with her and my dog using a backpack, if I have to.

I take the bus to the farmers' market on Saturdays for most of our produce. I buy grain in bulk and carry it home in the trailer or on the bus.

I barter food for dog-walking so my dog gets out of the city once a week.

The list goes on.

I know not everyone has this opportunity; but really, people say so often, "yeah that's great for you, you don't HAVE to drive." But we DECIDED not to drive and built our life around that decision. We live where there's snow (Nova Scotia) and we just deal with it.

I absolutely did not want dd growing up feeling she had to rely on a car to get around. I knew gas probably WOULD be $10 per gallon by the time she could drive. Plus we get exercise, get to know our neighbourhood, and don't get out to shop much, which saves us thousands of dollars.
#22 of 237 Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 PM

We'd have to sell our house and move... DH drives 35 miles to work everyday (one way) and walking anywhere from our house isn't possible as we're about 15 miles away from "town". ... That would be a LONG walk.

ETA: We have no public transportation here.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#23 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 AM
A&A

Gas at $10 a gallon is about SO MUCH MORE than just filling up your tank and deciding how much you can drive. If gas is at $10, diesel would probably be at $12. And diesel fuels the things that transport our goods to us. Think groceries at triple the cost, if you could even get them.

#24 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Gas at $10 a gallon is about SO MUCH MORE than just filling up your tank and deciding how much you can drive. If gas is at $10, diesel would probably be at $12. And diesel fuels the things that transport our goods to us. Think groceries at triple the cost, if you could even get them.
Very true. And heating costs.

#25 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 AM

If gas did get that high, it would be interesting to see how US "industry" reacted. If DH's huge corporation decreed that their employees could work from home 90% of the time to offset the gas price/demand, that would be AWESOME.

I would also go out and by a big granny bike with two baskets on either side for my groceries and errands. (I want to do this anyway)
#26 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I know that gas at $10 a gallon would mean major changes to American society including outrageous food prices, heating costs, maybe even a major depression, etc. etc. I know it would be about a lot more than just trying to get the most use out of a tank of gas.

But that's depressing. I'm trying to think postively here--trying to be proactive, and think about what I can do now to reduce my dependence on gas. And maybe if enough people are thinking like this, our consumption levels will drop, and the day when gas reaches $10 a gallon will be postponed a little, you know?

Another thing I would do if gas reached $10 a gallon--I would totally be lobbying my city council to step up the expansion of sidewalks/bike lanes/pedestrian routes throughout town. Our town is already really progressive in that regard, but there are definitely still parts of town that are still unsafe for pedestrians. Mostly the poor parts of town, where people often can't afford vehicles and have to walk anyway, unsafe roads or not.
#27 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Cut down our trips to see my parents (they live an hour a way)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeet
I would see my parents once a year.
Ok, am I the only person that read these and thought, "that actually makes gas at $10/gallon an appealing thought"...
#28 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMom View Post
Ok, am I the only person that read these and thought, "that actually makes gas at $10/gallon an appealing thought"...

#29 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 AM

If gas were to hit $10/gallon, DH would start tele-commuting 100%. I would start walking or biking to work. I already do all the shopping in a single trip, and if I had a bike w/trailer I could even bike for that, since it's not that far.

It wouldn't effect our monthly visits to my grandmother though. Cutting out his 70 mile/day commute would help offset that trip. We would stop taking her out to eat though, and just cook dinner for her.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#30 of 237 Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sell both our gas guzzlers and get one gas economy car

quit my 2nd job that requires me to drive too far for too little income

quit teaching piano at my students home and make them all come to my home

cancel my movie pass and sign up for netflix instead

(kids already take bus or walk to school)

I would probably also find myself finding more frugal ways to trim the budget everywhere else in order to afford gas for dh to go to/from work

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page