The Foraging Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was a kid we used to hunt morels every spring.

We also sometimes picked blackberries, mulberries, paw paws, persimmons, black walnuts...

I remember my dad picking "wild spinach" in our yard... now I know from this thread it was lambs quarters!

My auntie picked dandelion greens and used them as salad greens.

Oh, and one of our neighbors had an apple tree, another neighbor had wild grapes. As kids we'd just go over and help ourselves to apples and grapes. We were lucky our neighbors were so kind about all of us kids helping ourselves.

Oh, mulberry-cherry pie is VERY good!

As an adult, I haven't been mushroom hunting in over 20 years! My family, the ones who still live in Illinois, still go each spring. I miss it.

My aunt had a pear tree in her yard, too. And we had a apricot tree when I was a kid...but I don't think that really counts as foraging I guess.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 AM

It's a common one here, but it was still fun. I found a bunch of purslane on my place this weekend. Delish.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 AM

Anyone else have persimmons around? We located a ton of different trees last year, and they are so delicious. We also collect a ton of pecans, sorrel, grapes (did this while in Austin, haven't found a good spot here yet), and dandelion greens (only early in the year, though, after that they're too bitter for me). We tried sunflower petals this year and they're pretty good, a good colorful addition to a salad. We've found a little bit of wild blackberry, yum! Would love to find more. Wasn't too impressed with wild strawberry, although it's everywhere, they were small and bland. We also plan on trying to do something with crabapples this year. I think DH is dying to try making jelly. Nothing beats those persimmons, though!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 AM

I was looking around in some old threads and came across this one, Wow lots of fantastic info. I live on Vancouver island, here is what I forage:

Mushrooms (get a good mushroom guide)
Blackberries - leaves and berries (I use the leaves for tea)
Salmonberries
Rosehips
Salal
Blueberries
Stinging Nettle - pick the young leaves (where gloves) and use cooked like spinach or like salad greens
Hazelnuts
Hawthorn - for medicinal properties
oregon grapes - yummy jelly
chickory root - coffee subtitute
dandelion - greens and roots
red clover - for medicinal
clams
oysters

I'm sure there is more that I can't remember at the moment....

The field guide I use is: Plants of Coastal British Columbia by Pojar and Mackinnon. It has great pictures and info, including native use history.

I can't wait to try harvesting and using acorns and cattails
Old 07-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
OceanDoula had a great list. Around here I can forage wild raspberry berries and leaves. I dry the leaves and stems to make raspberry leaf tea which is medicine and nutrient and delicious. Dandelion leaves are great in the spring, too.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDoula View Post

The field guide I use is: Plants of Coastal British Columbia by Pojar and Mackinnon. It has great pictures and info, including native use history.
That's one of the Lone Pine Press books right? I love those books. I don't have the coastal BC one as I've never lived on the coast but I have the Plants of Interior BC, Plants of Northern BC and Plants of the Northern Borial Forest. They are such great books! I don't think they have editions for regions outside western Canada though.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM

I live in Salt Lake City and just started getting into foraging as a way to reduce my grocery bill and feed my family nutritious food. Besides I just like doing it!:

So far this year I had a pretty good go at the dandelions and used a little bit of clover flowers in our oatmeal. Now I'm just learning about common mallow which is prolific in our yard!

Last fall I found some walnuts down the street that were good. I also found some chestnuts (or so I thought) in the park. Fortunately I didn't eat them... I later checked out "Wildman" Steve Brill's book from the library Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places. That's a long title. Anyhow, after reading his book, I suspect that they were actually horse chestnuts and poisonous. I haven't been back to that tree to take a second look, so I'm not sure!
Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

My kids are getting SO MANY black raspberries from our patch! It's on a steep hill, but they're managing (with pants and long sleeves and shoes, LOL). Today they picked for about 15-20 minutes, and got two quarts. And after they ate their fill, they gave the rest to me to freeze for winter : LOL!

Yay, yay, yay! All I did was prune away the overzealous grapevines and pull the shoots closer to where I wanted them (near the lawn) and bury some to encourage root growth. I hope they still count as wild!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM

Im in a mediterranian climate. can anyone recommend a good id book for foraging etible and medicinal plants?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Does anyone know about the legalities of foraging for blackberries along the roads/fields in Western Washington.

Blackberries grow like weeds here, but we don't have any in our own yard.

I'm planning on picking some this summer for preserving (why pay 4 bucks a pint when gallons and gallons could be found for free?)

But I don't want to do anything illegal.

Me:
Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 AM

Has anyone mentioned puffballs yet? They grow on my grandparents' farm, my mom used to sautee them in butter when I was little. We also used to pick black walnuts and blackberries by the bushel I think.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie D View Post
Has anyone mentioned puffballs yet? They grow on my grandparents' farm, my mom used to sautee them in butter when I was little. We also used to pick black walnuts and blackberries by the bushel I think.
Puffballs are great. It's important to remember though that they are only good when they are very young. They should be pure white inside when you cut them open. If they have started to go brown inside then you shouldn't eat them.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 07-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglemom View Post
We love wild raspberries but our favorite patch was decimated in some "brush-clearing" recently.
We forage berries, but I'm still learning foraging using The Forager's Harvest I got at the library. Our mulberry bushes near our apt. were just cut down for aesthetic reasons.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Hey if you ever see this, I'm in northern illinois too!! [email protected] :) I'm new to foraging but am in LOVE !!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We ate planning on hunting Morrels this weekend if the rain ever lets up...I also love picking wild blackberries,strawberries,blueberries and gooseberries smile.gif
Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Morels grew wild in my old yard. I didn't realize how expensive they really were until last week at the farmers market when the mushroom guy told me. Ans to think I let my kids make mud pies worth mushrooms that cost $59 per pound!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have accomplished my first real foraging event.

Dandelions and lilacs from my yard:

Dandelion jelly - 16 half-pints

Lilac jelly - 6 half-pints

We also got our first harvest of rhubarb, which I canned - 2 half-pints

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, I am in love with this thread!! Wolfcat-where did you get your dandelion and lilac jelly recipe? All these years I have never heard of it. I would love to forage more. All I have done is pick wild blackberries. We have persimmons but I have never known what to do with them. I looove mushrooms but do not know which ones to pick. Anyone know of a good guide for Southeast MO?

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

Old 08-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I love foraging too. I live in Sweden so I cannot find all the things you find though. I mainly pick blueberries, raspberries, wild red currants (they have "escaped" from people's yards so they are perhaps not techically wild), sometimes wild strawberries and mushrooms of different kinds. I have also gotten free apples from people's yards but that is not foraging but leads to the same end: free food.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 PM

I live in Alaska. We have a lot to forage for but with 3 little kids I don't get as much as I'd like. I make a point to collect medicinals -- red elderberry blossoms, yarrow, fireweed leaves, dandilion root, plantain, devils club, and usnea.. and general teas -- red raspberry leaf and strawberry leaf, rosehips. We also get lots of berries -- raspberry from the yard, wild blueberries, crow berries (we like them, many people don't), highbush cranberries and some low bush cranberries (A.k.a lingonberries). Sometimes I collect fireweed blossoms for jelly but no one really cares for it in my house and I find it a lot of work then.

I haven't gotten any mushrooms yet this year but it is about time for boletes to be in the woods. I should have some in my own yard but I haven't seen any yet. It doesn't really count as "foraging" but we get lots of salmon which helps with the food budget and I am really hoping DH hunts this year, but he isn't really a hunter. If he were I wouldn't have to buy meat.

I am not sure how everyone claims that chickweed is "yummy" .. I think it tastes like grass. By the time it comes up there is no shortage of other greens. I let the chickens have at it and there is still more than they can use. I love the idea of foraging and I spend plenty of time doing it, but I find that even a modest garden is so much more efficient for making food. Perhaps people that live in areas with neglected or wild fruit trees do better but you sure get hungry picking blueberries -- pretty certain we expend more energy gathering most of this stuff than we gain.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma,mia View Post
Oh, I am in love with this thread!! Wolfcat-where did you get your dandelion and lilac jelly recipe? All these years I have never heard of it.
I googled it. I prolly should have saved the recipes I used, but oh well.

We got a handful of mulberries before the birds picked them clean. The catnip is doing well again, so I'll harvest next spring.

The city decided we had weeds and too-high grass (three inches, really?) and they mowed over our garden. I'm not worried about the rhubarb and they left the strawberries alone, but everything else is gone. We had just harvested some peas, but the beets and potatoes are a total loss. We are going to build raised beds for next year...maybe some definition will keep the morons at bay.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
I live in Alaska. We have a lot to forage for but with 3 little kids I don't get as much as I'd like. I make a point to collect medicinals -- red elderberry blossoms, yarrow, fireweed leaves, dandilion root, plantain, devils club, and usnea.. and general teas -- red raspberry leaf and strawberry leaf, rosehips. We also get lots of berries -- raspberry from the yard, wild blueberries, crow berries (we like them, many people don't), highbush cranberries and some low bush cranberries (A.k.a lingonberries). Sometimes I collect fireweed blossoms for jelly but no one really cares for it in my house and I find it a lot of work then.

I haven't gotten any mushrooms yet this year but it is about time for boletes to be in the woods. I should have some in my own yard but I haven't seen any yet. It doesn't really count as "foraging" but we get lots of salmon which helps with the food budget and I am really hoping DH hunts this year, but he isn't really a hunter. If he were I wouldn't have to buy meat.

I am not sure how everyone claims that chickweed is "yummy" .. I think it tastes like grass. By the time it comes up there is no shortage of other greens. I let the chickens have at it and there is still more than they can use. I love the idea of foraging and I spend plenty of time doing it, but I find that even a modest garden is so much more efficient for making food. Perhaps people that live in areas with neglected or wild fruit trees do better but you sure get hungry picking blueberries -- pretty certain we expend more energy gathering most of this stuff than we gain.
Fun bump! We don't forage too much but I am always surprised that in early summer more people in our area don't forage for wineberries. I love them and we're always the only one at the urban patches. We also found some blackberries at the beach. Great old thread!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There hasn't been much foraging this autumn but today I scored free apples from a garden and now the apple sauce is on the stove. I also picked out a bowl of the best ones for eating.

A couple of weeks back I picked some mushrooms for a soup but I didn't have a possibility to take care of mushrooms for the winter as we are moving. Now the move is done so I hope to dry and freeze some.

User Tag List