Why are people stockpiling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call me naive- are people doing this because of the rising costs of food? Or because you think that it will become unavailable? I honestly don't know. Thanks.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#2 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 AM

I personally believe it is related to peak oil. Actually there was a story on yahoo this morning about it.
http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080...vivalists.html

It is scary if you think about it and there are a lot of frightening websites about it.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#3 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I stockpile because my parents grew up during the depression and they taught me that it is more cost effective.

By having an adequate pantry, you are not forced to make purchases when items are needed, but not on sale. Also, no trips to the store for that one item you forgot... saving on fuel costs.

During natural disasters, you are prepared.

With the cost of diesel, trucking strikes wouldn't affect you.

I particularly like growing my own food and putting it up because I know EXACTLY what goes into it.

And yes... there may periods of time when only local foods are available.
#4 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 PM

I think it's to help out for when the prices go up even more. I bought a deep freezer for that very reason.
#5 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 PM

I have a minimal stockpile, but I do it because I'll buy 10-30 of something when it's on sale. If I know we'll need it, and it's cheap, why not buy 30 of them? It's also comforting that if we ever get into a situation where we are unable to afford food or unable to access food, we'll have it.
#6 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 01:21 PM

I do it because we have had BIG, unexpected expenses in the last few months, and having plenty of food in storage has enabled us to eat well with very minimal expense. When my cash flow is not as tight again, I will rebuild the stockpile. Knowing we can eat no matter what else happens gives me great peace of mind.
#7 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For example, the maple syrup I buy at Costco (64 oz.) has gone from $16 to $20 to $22 in the last year. So if I buy a couple extra, I'm saving myself the difference of whatever it will go up to next. Groceries could triple in the next four years.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#8 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

We do it because this last winter was scarily sparse as far as money goes. We bought groceries but weren't always able to pay bills. It was food or bills. Not both. I can't do that again. We don't know what this coming winter will hold as far as DH's job is concerned but we just can't live that way again. We have the capacity to buy extra food now and throughout the summer, so we will. We are preparing for a worst case financial scenario.
#9 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I stockpile because my parents grew up during the depression and they taught me that it is more cost effective.

By having an adequate pantry, you are not forced to make purchases when items are needed, but not on sale. Also, no trips to the store for that one item you forgot... saving on fuel costs.

During natural disasters, you are prepared.

With the cost of diesel, trucking strikes wouldn't affect you.

I particularly like growing my own food and putting it up because I know EXACTLY what goes into it.

And yes... there may periods of time when only local foods are available.
: All that.

I grew up that way - with stockpiles, so to speak. Velochic mentioned something a few weeks back about most people not having even a 2 week supply of food on hand, and I was floored. I mean, I understand most people don't have six months or something, but, everyone I knew growing up had at *least* 2 weeks worth of food in the house...even my best friend's family, and they were on welfare for a time...
#10 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 04:46 PM

I don't stockpile, I do try to keep on hand a stocked pantry of foods we normally eat. A few reasons why I do: It cuts down on needless drives to the grocery store, By buying somethings in a larger quanity that we use daily/weekly I know we are set for dinner that night. I hate to grocery shop so if I see that ketchup is on sale for 79 cents then I'll buy 5 or 6. For our family thats like a 6-9mo supply then I don't think about ketchup again until we are down to 1-2. I always have some pasta around and extra sauce. Quick meals in a flash. So while we don't have 2 + years of wheat in a bucket (um not even sure I would ever want 2 years wheat) we do have 45days or so of oatmeal since thats what my kids love to eat.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#11 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 PM

We do it just because we can make our money go so much further if we plan ahead and buy on sale and with coupons. We then keep an inventory of what I already have on hand and all of our meals come from the inventory list.

A few weeks ago bacon was an unadvertised special for .99 cents a package at my local grocery store so I ended up buying 30+ packages over the week. Keeping track of what's on sale allowed me to buy still more bacon for $1 a package because it went on sale 2/$4 and I had $2 off one coupons.

I have lots of bacon on hand, but this will be used for salads and added to baked potato soup etc. which keeps the overall price of the meals I make way low. Eating well without going broke doing it is also kind of fun

banana.gif

#12 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 PM

I am not suddenly stockpiling because of media doom about the economy

I always stockpile

It saves gas, time and effort of repeated trips to the store during any given week

It allows me to be flexible and prepared in my meal planning...and spontaneous

I buy LOTS of something when its on sale

I buy BIG bags of stuff like flour, sugar, rice, dog food...because its cheaper than buying small bags and I have room to store it in my basement pantry
#13 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Well I always have had a decently stocked home, but recently we had some gaps in our income last winter and so I have begun a stock pile because of that. I used some of our stimulus $$ to buy extras of things we use that were an excellent price. Like the pp I bought a huge bag of dog food because it was cheap(we have 2, I'd like more I've got big dogs). I have bought cans of tomatoes, salad dressings, pasta, meats, powdered milk and many other items because frankly sometimes we have little $$ in the winter. We always have HUGE expenses in October(when winter comes in the NW), so it makes sense to me to get as much as we can now, at least things that have a long shelf life. I live in the country far from town and I want to go there as little as possible, the less we drive the more we save, even if that means spending a few more $$ at the store. Last March was a little bleak for us, and if we can make our emergency fund a little bigger, and our food and household stash the same it would help our family breathe a little easier when those times of less are here. That's why we are doing these things. I also always keep track of sales and buy accordingly, so that means sometimes it's 10 lbs of bacon or burger, I have a freezer and can keep a lot of food in my home, plus I like to be able to make a meal plan AND not really have to go to the store.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#14 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 PM

We generally try to keep a good pantry on hand, but we're increasing it for a couple of reasons:

1. Food prices are likely to keep increasing, so we're locking in today's cheaper prices on stuff we use a lot of.

2. It's kind of a hedge against higher heating prices -- our power bills are about half what they are in the winter during the spring and summer, so we buy a ton of staples and put up fruits and veggies and reduce our grocery spending in the winter.

3. It's also insurance. If something goes completely to cock and we have no money (job loss, really is what I'm worried about) I feel a ton better knowing that we've got enough rice, beans, pasta, flour, speghetti sauce, etc. to keep us from starving. We had to really rely on that when DH and I were both out of a job last summer, and it saved our asses. I don't want to be without that safety net again, and would love to increase it.
#15 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 PM

I've always tried to keep a stocked pantry. I grew up in a house with frugal parents who always had a stocked pantry, and it would seem strange to me not to have much food in the house. It also seems to simplify my life to have needed items on hand, and not to have to run to the store all of the time.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 PM

We don't stockpile. We are limited in space. However, I do buy larger quantities of foods we use more often. I don't call that stockpiling, though.

4 kids under 10
#17 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
we are stockpiling food as well. I have been for a while now. I always keep a stocked pantry and it has saved us in the past when things have happened financially and we haven't been able to afford much. But lately with food getting so expensive when I see things that are non-perishable on sale, I stock up because it's a safe bet to say that food prices won't be going down anytime soon and my income won't be going up.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#18 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM

I stockpile because there are 5 sometimes up to 7 of us in this household and we go through alot of food, and also because I have always bought in bulk whenever possible, especialy meats and dry goods, because it's how I was raised. I have went long stretches where it was a roof over our head and heat within or food on the table and a roof over the table, but no heat. That sucked and I pray to never see those days again
#19 of 90 Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We dont stockpile, but recently I started buying two backups of everything we buy on a regular basis. We have a big pantry, and it cuts down on the stress of running out of some critical ingredient and being forced to go to the store. A few weeks ago it came in handy when one of my daughters was very ill and I could not go shopping at the regular time. I was able to coast for a week, even using frozen bread and frozen veggies that I keep as a backup.
#20 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 PM

We don't either, mostly from lack of space. We live in a small apartment and, well, we'll be SOL if anything really big goes down!
#21 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM

I stockpile now because of MDC I had never thought of it before (except, of course, having enough for about 5-days - earthquake, power outages).

Now our pantry is full of rices, beans, flours, canned tomatoes, packaged tuna and salmon, crackers, granola, bottled water, nuts, pastas, canned fruits and veggies, etc. I think we could go about 3 months now and are aiming for more. Our freezer also has tons of meat. We have a huge pantry and large garage full of shelves and drawers, so we plan to have it all filled up by the end of summer.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#22 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 PM

I've always stockpiled for many years. It keeps my grocery budget down. I really never gave it much thought in the past. I do it more now because I want of the increasing prices of groceries. I think prices are going to go up even more now with increasing oil prices. It eventually has to trickle down and I don't want to be caught off guard when it does.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#23 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM

I have built up my pantry for several reasons, I think it's a good idea to have enough food on hand to survive an emergency, and it saves a lot of money over the long run to stock up when things are on sale so you don't have to pay full price for them if you need it when it's not on sale. As for stockpiling large quantities of food in case of an extended emergency (or the collapse of society as we know it, or any other major catasrophe) I haven't gotten to that yet, because we don't have the space for that kind of supply, but I do think it's a good idea if you have the room because you never know what the future holds, and I'd guess a lot of people just think you can't be too prepared, ykwim?

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#24 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 06:39 PM

We stockpile for a number of reasons, first and most importantly to us is the savings in $$. We grocery game (it works for us) and many many things are free or close to free. 2nd if a couple kids are sick im not going anywhere and having 'inventory' reduces stress
3rd, if we have a tight $$ month i dont have to stress over feeding the family.
4th just being prepared, i hate not to have something.
#25 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM

I grew up with my parents growing canning and freezing. We always had an extra freezer full of food and shelves of canned goods and canned food from the store. My parents were frugal and I try to be too. A few years ago, I was bad, I'd stop at the grocery store on the way home from work and wander around till something sounded good. Now with 2 kids and being a sahm that isn't practical or frugal. So I bought wheat berries and a grinder (I love making bread anyway and the cost of the wheat I was buying has almost doubled in the last month). I figure I'm locking in prices. Besides what other investment will double in value that quickly in this economy? We're also going to buy a freezer with our stimulus $ and stock up on fruit and veggies from the farmer's market this summer. I figure if I go toward the end of the day, I'll probably get good deals on stuff they don't want to haul back home. I'll have to get it in the freezer right away, but that's ok. I figure it will save us money all winter long. Plus winter can be pretty harsh here so if I have enough food on hand, I won't have to go out for groceries during a snowstorm or we'll have food and won't have to fight the crowds who go to the store to try to stock up the day before a storm. I guess there are a lot of reasons.
#26 of 90 Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM

I don't stockpile, I need a reason to get out of the house and hit the store at least once a week . I do try to buy on sale and find the best deals.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#27 of 90 Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM

I grew up with a mother who NEVER kept back-ups in the household and I hated it when we'd run out of something. We lived way out in the country and both parents worked so there were days when the kids would have to make due without something.

So...I started keeping extras on hand LONG before I stockpiled.

Now we have 2-3 of every food we regularly use and we have much larger amounts of staples. I'm moving toward a year's supply.

I think it makes sense for so many reasons:

- in case of job loss you have food to feed your family

- in case of economic downturns you have a back-up source of food to help you weather the increased prices for a while

- in case of natural disaster that might cut you off from food sources (blizzards, ice storms in my part of the country) you have food in your household

- in the rare case of interruptions to food deliveries you'd have food on hand
#28 of 90 Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Kari, my parents ran out of everything all the time, too. So that's part of my reason for keeping two backups of everything.
#29 of 90 Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 AM

I try and wait until stuff goes on sale, really cheap, and then buy a whole lot of it to have on hand. That way I'm not driven to paying regular prices for stuff.

Also, I think having a supply of non-perishable food on hand makes sense in the case of any kind of disaster.

Plus, if prices are going to continue to rise, I'll buy up a lot of the stuff we use a lot of, and avoid paying higher prices later.

I don't have to do last-minute runs to the store for stuff I don't have on hand. That saves gas and time, and is particularly necessary when you live a long way from an affordable store and you have a big burden of childcare and household work that keeps you busy.

Plus, we only have a steady income 10 months of the year, and we sometimes run short of money at the end of the two months we have no income, so it helps to have some stuff on hand.

A lot of my stockpiling, too, is garden produce, CSA produce, seasonal local produce, and locally raised meat, that we acquire in season and then preserve.

When I stockpile, though, I only buy stuff we normally use, and we rotate through it and replace it as we go, so stuff isn't sitting around for ages and ages. The exception is a small supply of dried and canned stuff that we keep expressly for emergencies. Like precooked canned veggies and meat-- we don't normally eat it, but if we couldn't use our stove or oven, or had no running water, or in some other public emergency, we want stuff that we can eat right out of the can or package, to make it through. We keep a few weeks of that kind of stuff on hand, too.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#30 of 90 Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM

We've started stockpiling because it occurred to us we would be in big trouble if anything happened. Prices are already so high, it just makes sense for us.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page