Frugal Holidays 2008 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 389 Old 11-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to go back and read this again, the ideas for homeade things here are just so awesome, I that fabric basket, I think I have enough remnants for one.

QUESTION: I want to make dd some bean bags too, out of the remnant fabric that I have. What do you do with them though? I envision her throwing them about the house, and that would be BAD. What do your kids do with them?
#362 of 389 Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
I'm planning on buying some cute WAHM crayons for my younger nieces and nephews for x-mas. They're pretty affordable too!
OMG those crayons are soooooo freaking cool!!!!! i hope she ships internationally. my kids would be thrilled with the rainbow ring and fruits! thanks so much mama!!!! :
#363 of 389 Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM

am in love with this thread :
I am putting lots of ideas to good use this year. We exchange gifts with a lot of people every year. Christmas is a huge celebration in our family and I don't mind doing it big every year, however we do try and not give "stuff" and get things that are fun and useful for everyone.
I am trying to cut back on wrapping paper. Actually trying to go paper free this year which is a crazy idea to most of my family. I will be putting most items in reusable shopping bags for everyone. Those who won't appreciate a shopping back will get theirs in fabric that I will ask for back.
I couldn't figure out how presents from Santa would work until it dawned on me. Santa loves the Earth! And so we will pack up the fabric that he wraps our gifts in and "mail" it back to him at the North Pole this year, so that he can use it again for our presents next year! (Lets hope this works!)
Thanks for all of the good ideas!
#364 of 389 Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
I have to go back and read this again, the ideas for homeade things here are just so awesome, I that fabric basket, I think I have enough remnants for one.

QUESTION: I want to make dd some bean bags too, out of the remnant fabric that I have. What do you do with them though? I envision her throwing them about the house, and that would be BAD. What do your kids do with them?
I'm making beanbags for my ds, because he LOVES to throw everything, including his wooden toys, so I'm hoping this will cut down on that if I can redirect him to the bean bags. I'm going do mine sort of like this cool ball he has. It has a weight in the middle, and then cotton fluff stuff, so it can't hurt anyone/thing. I'm going to use an old foam mattress that my sisters dog chewed to bits! I'm going to sew some tails on to trail behind.

As for other uses, we built my nephew a bean bag toss. Dh just got two peices of pressboard, screwed hinges on so it would fold up, and put a chain on the inside so it would stand. (Like any sandwich board sign.) He cut holes that grew in size and painted it bright colors. Apparently it's dn's favorite toy. Which is funny because he has all sorts of flashing, noisy expensive crap.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#365 of 389 Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For those who have kids who love to dress up a lot of places have Halloween stuff still, I picked up a couple princess/renaissance dress up clothes at 90% off at kmart tonight. $25 costumes for $2.50

Seriously?
#366 of 389 Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfields08 View Post
I couldn't figure out how presents from Santa would work until it dawned on me. Santa loves the Earth! And so we will pack up the fabric that he wraps our gifts in and "mail" it back to him at the North Pole this year, so that he can use it again for our presents next year! (Lets hope this works!)
Santa uses a red bag with bells on it at our house - gifts are not wrapped in paper inside...some are loosely wrapped in themselves (clothes), some with a pretty ribbon, some with nothing. Incidentally, it's the same bag he left for me when I was a kid. My Mom just whipped it up one year and I've recommended it to a few friends for their kids.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#367 of 389 Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM

YAY!!! Here's the thread I need.

I'm trying to reconcile three different needs of three different children.

dd needs a mutual, respectful, and affordable adult celebration. a $20 price limit seems to work well with us.

ds1 LOVES Christmas and needs a continuation of his favourite traditions and an end to the competitiove corporate conmsumerism i need to be okay with exy giving him an ipod or a new longboard whilesantastuffs hisstocking with soap, scotch tape, and a toothbrush and i give him socksand (imperfectly handsewn organic bamboo) underwear.

if exy gives him a car that has to be sold because i can't afford insurance and maintenance or a puppy that has to be rehomed because my landlord doesn't allow dogs, then i have to be okay with that too. the sky is blue and my ex is a uav. i can't change either of those facts.

ds2 is a baby. he needs to feel included in the celebration while being protected from toxic toys and toxic patterns of thinking.

i...don't....want...more...STUFF!!!!!! and my feelings count too. i am a person i need help politely declining or disposing of unwanted gifts.

So far i have the fabric for ds1's tank topsand boxers and that's about it. Oh, and a bar of WAHM made fancy soap for each teen's stocking. ds2 has a stocking i made last year, but i don't use soap on him and am at a total loss as far as what to put in his stocking.
#368 of 389 Old 11-13-2008, 12:04 PM

DD is so excited about our budget-friendly, earth-friendly christmas. She is making a garland for our tree, crocheted with glow in the dark beads that she already had. This way we'll save electricity but still have "lights" on our tree!
#369 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 04:14 AM

Has anyone ever done chocolate dipped pretzels? I have not, and every recipe I have found says to dip each pretzel and lay it on waxed paper! : I want to make a TON of these to give to everyone. Can I dump the bag into the melted chocolate and coat? Will they get soggy or something or should they be ok?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#370 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Has anyone ever done chocolate dipped pretzels? I have not, and every recipe I have found says to dip each pretzel and lay it on waxed paper! : I want to make a TON of these to give to everyone. Can I dump the bag into the melted chocolate and coat? Will they get soggy or something or should they be ok?
Maybe instead of dipping, you could lay them all out on wax paper and then drizzle two colors of chocolate on them. The chocolate will go a lot further and the process will go faster.
#371 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 AM

: I need to come back here when I have more time and figure out how/what we're gonna do for Christmas this year

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#372 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a penguin publishing warehouse in town and in november, they usually have a big sale, clearing out the warehouse or something, I guess. Thousands of titles... 10% of their normal price. That's of, not off. So I'm getting $20 for $2 or so. It's awesome. I got a bunch of books for christmas presents. They had "eat, pray, love" and "in defense of food", Tons of well known titles. Eric Carle books. It was great.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#373 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Someone brought us the big pretzel sticks, half dipped in chocolate, then sprinkled with colorful sprinkles. They were dipped individually but that way is a little less fussy. My mom has a spiral shaped utensil for dipping the small regular shaped pretzels. I think you just have to set yourself up in front of a video or get into a zen mode or something. I think it you dump the bag in, you'll end up with pretzel clusters, all stuck together.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#374 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
We have a penguin publishing warehouse in town and in november, they usually have a big sale, clearing out the warehouse or something, I guess. Thousands of titles... 10% of their normal price. That's of, not off. So I'm getting $20 for $2 or so. It's awesome. I got a bunch of books for christmas presents. They had "eat, pray, love" and "in defense of food", Tons of well known titles. Eric Carle books. It was great.
Jealous.... I would have loved to have gone to that sale!!!!!!
~maddymama
#375 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think they would get soggy, but they'd probably clump up and just be a big 'ol mess!
#376 of 389 Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smocklets View Post
dd is so excited about our budget-friendly, earth-friendly christmas. She is making a garland for our tree, crocheted with glow in the dark beads that she already had. This way we'll save electricity but still have "lights" on our tree!
thats adorable! And so unbelievably cool!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#377 of 389 Old 11-15-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I bet if you did it in small batches and used tongs to remove them quickly they would be just fine.

I like the idea of drizzling them with chocolate.
#378 of 389 Old 11-15-2008, 02:13 AM

This is actually what I did last year, because money was even tighter then than it is now. We're sticking to about the same spending budget this year, but honestly just have too much going on in the family this year to do what we did last year... but anyway...
Last year, I made all our grandparents' gifts, homemade candies, cookies, breads, etc. I packaged them with sandwich bags and ribbon and found a cute little Santa sleigh at a local craft fair to put the goodies in. For the kids (my Godchildren), I tie-dyed shirts and PJs and found a second-hand bookstore and got them books from there. The tie dyeing was a lot of fun and I love seeing the kids wear the things I made for them, they came out very cute! This year, like I said the spending limit is the same, so I just had to put a lot more thought into what I bought. I feel pretty good about the fact that I got all the kids done with a $10 limit on their gifts and didn't have to buy anything plastic. I just have to be more picky about what I buy than I have been in the past...$10 spending limit used to mean just go to Wal-Mart and choose whatever I can from the shelves, but I'm looking around a lot more than I did and am able to find some really good deals on gifts I actually feel good about giving.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#379 of 389 Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM

I got the greatest gift on my last day of work b4mat leave! I worked in a bar and the carlesberg beer rep came in with AMAZING glasses and really nice openers!...so I came home with 3 glasses and 6 openers! LOL...which I figure willbe a great gift with a large bottle of carlesberg!..

So that takes care of fil, my best friends bf, and my dhs boss for about 4 bucks each!...with openers left over for other people! WOO HOO!!!

#380 of 389 Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
Maybe instead of dipping, you could lay them all out on wax paper and then drizzle two colors of chocolate on them. The chocolate will go a lot further and the process will go faster.
nak
This is a GREAT idea! Thnx for all of the replies!

#381 of 389 Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Another pretzel idea that we in our family. You take mini pretzel twists, lay them on a cookie sheet with waxed paper and put one rolo candy on each pretzel. Put in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes, just until the rolo gets soft, but not so long that it loses it's shape. Then press a pecan half into the rolo, allow to cool and you have an instant turtle, minus all the work.
#382 of 389 Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Another trick is to get the circle pretzels, put a disc chocolate inside and put in 200 degree oven until it melts inside and fills in the circle. Immediately out of the oven put a M&M inside...we use the red/green/white christmas combo. Cute and tasty!!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#383 of 389 Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I'm from Binghamton too! Love the book fair. My kids get mostly books for Christmas now, actually most of my gifts are books from the book fair. This year, I felt the selection wasn't as great as years past though. Couldn't find something for everyone on my list.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#384 of 389 Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 AM

I'll read back in this thread in the next few days but here's what I have and I need some ideas.

For all three kids: A play tent; my mil bought the fabric and pattern. A wood block set using scrap wood we have.
My husband:
My 6 yo son: Some basic art supplies, a notebook and maybe a few small child sized tools.
My 4yo daughter: No clue
My 2 yo daughter: A simple doll bed (more scrap wood) , some home made doll clothing and a pouch for her dolls.

For my husband's family we have his Brother's family which includes his wife and two daughters. They like family oriented activities; games, picnics etc. A limit of 50.00 was imposed.
So I bought a cute little family sign for 4.00 which I will sand and paint tomorrow. We are going to make this http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projec...ack.htm?page=3 and some mix in a jars like hot cocoa and some desert. Except for the sign the rest is all made from stuff we already have. I;d like to add something else to it for a family night theme and I need ideas.

:
#385 of 389 Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM

:

Just wanted to bump the thread up!

#386 of 389 Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
subbing coming back later to read

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#387 of 389 Old 12-05-2008, 01:07 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#388 of 389 Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 AM

Maybe this has been covered. I am wondering about making chocolate spoons for hot chocolate (as opposed to coffee). Would it work the same way? I have a good amount of melting chocolate, but fewer people I know drink coffee. Would the same type of chocolate work for hot chocolate?

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#389 of 389 Old 12-06-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB View Post
Maybe this has been covered. I am wondering about making chocolate spoons for hot chocolate (as opposed to coffee). Would it work the same way? I have a good amount of melting chocolate, but fewer people I know drink coffee. Would the same type of chocolate work for hot chocolate?
I think I'd love a chocolate spoon to mix in my hot chocolate(even more than coffee!). I would make it even richer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page