Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2008 View Post
the kettle corn recipe I've been using

http://seattlest.com/2007/02/23/oh_j...ettle_corn.php

Kettle Corn
As the name suggests, kettle corn must be made in something approximating a kettle (we used a 4-quart saucepan with a lid); an air popper (which for conventional popcorn is great) simply won’t do. This makes a largish portion for one, but feel free to double it.

Thanks!

Seriously?
#182 of 389 Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone asked for this a while back....it's been sitting up in my browser so I can drool and obsess over it....

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=755897

I love the post which lists EVERY SINGLE GIFT IDEA she has ever come across, and I certainly don't see any gaps!

YAY FOR CHRISTMAS!
#183 of 389 Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 AM

: Some great ideas!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#184 of 389 Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 PM

: I'm only on page 5, but I'm having a blast reading through this thread. There are some great ideas! I'm hoping to be able to add an idea or two when I'm done.
#185 of 389 Old 08-26-2008, 07:53 PM

I read every post and have gotten some fantastic ideas!

Someone else mentioned it, but I am planning on doing 'soup in a jar' using mason jars and colorful layers of beans and legumes. I need a good recipe that uses lots of different kinds of pulses though. I want to try it out before I print it off.

I like the home made vanilla idea - what are the best vanilla beans? And what's the best type of liquor to use?

Also, we have tons of corn growing in our garden and I was wondering if I could make popcorn out of it and put it in mason jars too. Anyone know how to make popcorn from fresh corn? (I think I'll post that in the nutrition section as well)

I also have a sewing machine for the first time this year and have to figure out what I can do with it for Christmas. I don't have a ton of fabric right now, so that's one thing I will have to pick up. I need holiday fabric for mason jar toppers anyway.
#186 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post

I like the home made vanilla idea - what are the best vanilla beans? And what's the best type of liquor to use?
I got these vanilla beans last year. I made some into vanilla sugar and the rest into vanilla extract. Here is some interesting info about vanilla including how to make vanilla sugar. This page shows how to make vanilla extract. Hope that helps!
#187 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM

Popcorn is a specialized type of corn. You can grow it.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#188 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Right now through Labor Day, Bath and Body Works is doing their Hand Soap Sale...
5 for $15 or 7 for $20. I LOVE this soap and use it in all my bathrooms and kitchen... because I love it so much and it is on sale, I bought 7 for $20, which makes it out to $2.85 each. Great for neighbor gifts, etc. Now I just need to come up with a poem or something to go with it and put a ribbon on it.
#189 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
Last year I did glass marble magnets with funky fabric backs for all the boys' teachers, and they were a HUGE hit, so I'll defintiely be doing those again, with a handbound journal or set of handstamped cards. THe magnets I get at michael's with a 50% off coupon, the glass flats are from Dollar Tree, and I've got mountains of fabric - so 80 magnets runs about $10, and I give each teacher a set of 6 in an altoid tin (gotten from my dad, who is an altoids freak and eats 2 tins a week, LOL!) I cover the tin with pretty paper.

For family, I'm still ruminating...I'm loving that loaf pan carrier! I think that some homemade molasses bread or banana bread in a tin with a carrier would be a nice gift!
Can I get some more details on this? How did you glue them all together? Do you have any pics? :
#190 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beka1977 View Post
Can I get some more details on this? How did you glue them all together? Do you have any pics? :
I thought they sounded really neat, so I googled it and found this picture tutorial:

tutorial

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#191 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
I thought they sounded really neat, so I googled it and found this picture tutorial:

tutorial
Thanks for that link... I might do this for the kids' teachers. : Even better it's a project the kids could help me with.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#192 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
You get blank cards or paper from an office supply store or craft store and decorate. I make screen printed stationary sets. Lots of people use stamping techniques. Heres mine
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...rrent=card.jpg
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=IMG_0002.jpg
Last fall I got some blank scrapbooking paper and folded it into small cards. I had some mums on the front porch. I used the mums as stamps and used all different paint, then touched them up with a tiny paintbrush. I put little hallmarks on the back, like "Hamdmade for You". I gave them to my sister tied up in that papery thread stuff that I can't remember the name of right now.
#193 of 389 Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
tied up in that papery thread stuff that I can't remember the name of right now.
Raffia.

lady.gif
#194 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 AM

: We have a ton of people to buy for this year and I think I am going to make as many gifts as possible. I'm planning on doing a calendar of Toby for my mom and my inlaws... I love Shutterfly and if you search on eBay for a coupon code you can usually find good ones (I got a whole scrapbook for the cost of shipping last year!!)

I'm loving the food ideas. We are friends with lots of college students and homemade snacks would go over really well with them

Definitely subbing!!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#195 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
Raffia.
Thank You
#196 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 PM

I've been canning and brewing and sewing and making soap for a couple of months now, and I'm trying to pull together how I'm actually going to GIVE things to people. Here's the list of stuff we either have or will have by the time the holidays come around:

-Mead (probably sparking aged over pomegrantes)
-Homemade Coffee Liqueur
-Bar soap
-Body wash
-Lip gloss/Lip Salve in tins (I could certianly do 2-3 colors of it, I suppose...)
-Shaving soap
-Strawberry, Raspberry and Ginger Jam plus Marmalade
-Green Salsa
-Sundried Tomatoes
-Spaghetti Sauce
-Chocolate/Toffee Candy

I'm trying to figure out some logical groupings for gift baskets or gift bags. I don't mind buying little things to include (ie. a bath puff, or a paperback book, or Spaghetti noodles), but I'd like to have a theme.

On a totally not-related note, I'd also really like to do some dress up clothes for my DS, who will be 3 shortly before Christmas. But finding dress up clothes for little boys is tough. Any good ideas on how to do a dress-up box for little boys on the cheap?
#197 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
On a totally not-related note, I'd also really like to do some dress up clothes for my DS, who will be 3 shortly before Christmas. But finding dress up clothes for little boys is tough. Any good ideas on how to do a dress-up box for little boys on the cheap?
Maybe start checking out the thrift stores. It's about time for Halloween costumes/accessories to show up.

I can't remember if I posted here or another another frugal holiday thread so I'll mention it again. Last year I got matching earrings and pendants for my MIL (amethyst) and SIL (garnet & citrine) from Silver Jewelry Club. The jewelry is "free", you just pay $5.99 shipping per item. The stock rotates every 15 minutes and there's a lot of pretty ugly stuff so you have to check back often but MIL and SIL both loved their jewelry. The quality was much better than I had expected.
#198 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
I got these vanilla beans last year. I made some into vanilla sugar and the rest into vanilla extract. Here is some interesting info about vanilla including how to make vanilla sugar. This page shows how to make vanilla extract. Hope that helps!
Thank-you! And I didn't know popcorn was a special corn. Learned something new - thanks!
#199 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM

I'm going even more frugal than I originally planned! Since my goddaughter's parents don't keep the kid's books separate (she is 3 and has a 1 yo sister), but just "pool" them, I'm going to get 1 CD/book combo (Sandra Boynton - "Blue Moo" - great kids' music but not annoying!) for the two of them together. They're still young enough that I can do that. $12 for the CD/book combo! That's probably the only Christmas present I will buy!

lady.gif
#200 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I have a DS the same age and he likes to play with different hats, belts, shoes, pink tutu, a felt crown, and a reversible felt cape (red and purple). The felt is cool because it has velcro-backed trimmings and decorations that can go on it. Today he was a magician with it on. Last week, he was Wyatt/SuperWhy from SuperReaders on PBS.

He doesn't yet feel particularly limited by gender, so his dress up clothes aren't just "boyish" (as opposed to "girly").

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#201 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthasmom View Post
my only idea so far...

buy a few flower pots when they go on clearance and then force some bulbs, maybe like paperwhites, and give as a gift. i thought this would be nice for grandparents
wdyt?
this is a good idea, if you want to make them look a little more 'finished' use small pebbles/rocks to cover the top of the soil. We always cut some bamboo stakes and put three into the pots with a little bit of string to make sure they stayed upright as they grew, paperwhites are notorious for falling over.

You can also use clear vases the have a wide mouth and use hyacinths, rocks (optional) and water. Then you can see the roots growing...but the water makes them a little harder to transport.

As far as advent calendars go....

making them with felt is easy b/c you can just cut and glue, you don't have to sew. Or if you want a more finished look, create a sewn look by threading some yarn or thick thread after gluing the pieces on....do you get the idea?

My friend made a neat magnetic advent calendar from the little tins you buy at Michael's for wedding party favors. They are silver with clear lids. Then she glued a magnet on the back of each one and made little circles on the computer with the date, printed them and fit them into the lid. The magnetic board is the most expensive part but if you can't find one they make magnetic paint also so it leaves your options open. Attach a piece of ribbon to the back of it to hang it.
#202 of 389 Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 PM

My list:

MIL and SMIL - Home made magnets with kids pictures and mooshy grandparent quotes

FIL - have no Idea

Young Nieces ( 5 and 3 ) - Ispy bags and other odds and ends
Older Niece (12?) - Gift card

Younger Nephew ( 3) - Local toy cars finished by me ( have no idea what to finish them with paint wise) with homemade painted track on canvas to play with in the car

Older Nephew ( 14) - Gift card

My parents - no ideas yet they like odd stuff and even homemade utilitarian stuff just haven't found "it" yet

ODD and YDD what I'm getting the other younger kids above. With one special "big" gift.

My brother and to-be-SIL knitted sweater for dog (hopefully) and no idea yet for TBSIL...

Thats all Ive got right now atleast I wrote it down someplace to come back to when I forget LOL
#203 of 389 Old 08-29-2008, 12:48 AM

Here's a cute idea.

Home made handprints

When I made these I didn't use any food coloring although you can. But I like the way they turn out better without food coloring since they are being baked. I used black ribbon on the top for hanging. This makes them look not-so-babyish so that they can fit into grandparents decor and hang proudly.
#204 of 389 Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I got little vests really cheap at Goodwill. (They were for a b-day party, the girls got tutus and I got those for the boys. I was surprised at how much the 2 little boys liked them and they both were excited that they got to take them home.)
#205 of 389 Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papschmitty View Post
Maybe start checking out the thrift stores. It's about time for Halloween costumes/accessories to show up.

I can't remember if I posted here or another another frugal holiday thread so I'll mention it again. Last year I got matching earrings and pendants for my MIL (amethyst) and SIL (garnet & citrine) from Silver Jewelry Club. The jewelry is "free", you just pay $5.99 shipping per item. The stock rotates every 15 minutes and there's a lot of pretty ugly stuff so you have to check back often but MIL and SIL both loved their jewelry. The quality was much better than I had expected.
Just wanted to let you know that I got a ring from there, also. I never wore it, and when I recently pulled it from it's pouch it came in, the silver had turned into a dirty goldish color
#206 of 389 Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM

I shop the after Halloween clearance sales to stock ds's "Let's pretend" chest. Usually within the couple days after, the remaining costume stock at just about any store goes on sale for 50-75% off. Last year, I got 8 costumes (split b/n ds and dd) for about $30. :

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#207 of 389 Old 08-29-2008, 06:18 PM

so we are on a lot tighter budget this year..i ve decided to make an extra batch of marinara sauce and salsa while ive been canning, im gonna throw in a cool bag of pasta i can usually find at tj maxx or marshalls and call it a day or with the salsa get some fun chips...not much but its something and homemade with love!
#208 of 389 Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabear View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I got a ring from there, also. I never wore it, and when I recently pulled it from it's pouch it came in, the silver had turned into a dirty goldish color
when silver tarnishes it turns a pretty ikky color...maybe it was just normal tarnish? Silver usually polishes up quite easily...

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#209 of 389 Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM

*subbing*
#210 of 389 Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafirst View Post
so we are on a lot tighter budget this year..i ve decided to make an extra batch of marinara sauce and salsa while ive been canning, im gonna throw in a cool bag of pasta i can usually find at tj maxx or marshalls and call it a day or with the salsa get some fun chips...not much but its something and homemade with love!
I think these are awesome gifts!

Grace Comes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page