Frugal Holidays 2008 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is great, and has given me several ideas!

I have sooo many to buy gifts for, it`s ridiculous. We buy for all of my sons first cousins, and they are 14!! All under 14 YO. And then add 10 grown ups to that. Yeah. And my son, ofcourse. :

My ideas so far: Giftbaskets for all the adults. Filled with some mix of these things:

Homemade candles
Homemade soaps
Homemade candy
Some sort of spicey nuts. Anyone have a rexipe or an idea?
Choc. chip cookies. They are SOO good, and unhealthy.
Single color pillowcases, with my sons handprint and a poem.
Pics of my son

For the kids, I am not quite sure yet. The oldest girls will get homemade soap and a little something extra. The younger ones are harder, I think. I have bought two of them a doll each, on sale. I am not much of a knitter, I am actually not very creative at all. I LOVE to cook and to foodstuff, so adults are much easier to make something for.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 05:29 PM

I was thinking about this last night. We buy our kids 3 gifts plus stockings. The kids get pajamas for Christmas Eve, a toy, and a book. This year for stockings we are going traditional and filling them with seasonal fruit, nuts, and some chocolate. I always put in a toothbrush too (but I got those free from Crest).

But without further ado here is my ideas list so far:

Gift ideas:

Amara- Book: sea creatures Pajamas: Toy: fairy (maybe handknit)

Grey- Book: Little Pea Pajamas: Toy: Uglydoll (mama made)

Ivy- Book: board book Pajamas: Toy: Doll (mama made)

Shawn[husband]- knit hats, fingerless gloves, or boot socks (using stash yarn only)

Don and Linda [inlaws]- Knit shopping bags

Debbie[recently divorced and learning to cook for herself]- Recipe book (made by me, spiral bound by sil)

Cam[brother starting bootcamp in the spring]- photo album

Holly [sister]- Art (something handmade by the kids)

Niece/nephew- hat and scarf based on preferences

Aunts- pictures of the kids and knit dishcloths

Another thing I'm doing to save money is doing a GPT again that gives amazon GC so I can get the kids' books there for free

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Oh, and as an idea for those of you giving portraits of your children to relatives Picture People always has coupons for free 8x10s on their website.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 AM

My sisters anniversary was this weekend, we didnt get them anything. It just feels so liberating. I cant explain it. Sis didnt call but my mother sure did, with her razor sharp tongue to ask why DH and I didnt send sis and her DH a present.... ummmm well cuz we didnt. Its the beginning of a new trend mom, we are not sending presents for b'day, anniver, holiday. Sorry, we had this conversation many times over the past couple months....
IF DH or I see something stellar that would fit the recipent then great we may send but we are not going out of our way financially to send items to adults. We are the only ones with kids and none of the relatives really seems to give a hoot about them so...

We finally stood our ground and it FEELS SO GOOD...:::

This is the first 'holiday' of many before x-mas... hopefully the first is the hardest and the rest will just fly by.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
My sisters anniversary was this weekend, we didnt get them anything. It just feels so liberating. I cant explain it. Sis didnt call but my mother sure did, with her razor sharp tongue to ask why DH and I didnt send sis and her DH a present.... ummmm well cuz we didnt. Its the beginning of a new trend mom, we are not sending presents for b'day, anniver, holiday. Sorry, we had this conversation many times over the past couple months....
IF DH or I see something stellar that would fit the recipent then great we may send but we are not going out of our way financially to send items to adults. We are the only ones with kids and none of the relatives really seems to give a hoot about them so...

This is the first 'holiday' of many before x-mas... hopefully the first is the hardest and the rest will just fly by.
Good for you! and s

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM

If anyone shops at toys r us this week they have buy 2 get one free on nintendo games... it was in the weekend sale flyer...
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 AM

Just wanted to share that scrapbook paper is the perfect size for wrapping dvd's and video games.... small books etc...
Scrapbook paper is usually 5/1$ at most and comes in such 'pretty' prints... plus i have a ton of it from when i such grandeous ideas of scrapbooking HAHA

Using it cuts down on my wrapping, literally since i dont have to cut the paper.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM

Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 PM

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if some of these are repeats. I have always made lots of gifts, here are some of my ideas.

-Homade coca or coffee mixes given in small jelly jars tied with ribbon and instructions, spoons/candy cane dipped in chocolate for mixing, and a couple of home made hot pads (small squares of cloth sewn together and stuffed, add a couple of cloves and a little bit of cinnimon and they smell GREAT when a warm mug is set on top) in a nice little bag.

-Cookie mixes in canning jars (cheap when done in bulk, and easy)

-Sweat breads (bannana, cranberry, etc) packed inside a small gift bag sewn with some clearance fabric.

-For those that knit, this pattern: http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html
Is really easy to knit, and inexpensive, and really comfy and fits everyone. I knit them with Caron simply soft, and probably could have made 2-3 pairs with 2 skeins of yarn, cost about $2 each at walmart. Simple hats always go over well too.

I am hoping to keep things simple this year, the last few years I have speant TONS of time knitting really nice items with costly yarns, only to never see them worn. So, no more for me. Simple is better.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyTamara View Post
I LOVE to cook and to foodstuff, so adults are much easier to make something for.

Kids like home-made treats too! My dd loves the chocolate drizzled carmel corn I made so much in 2006, that I made it again in 2007 and gave her her own bag. She loved it! Best thing is that I cheat and get the carmel corn premade (and on sale) then I melt the chocolate and drizzle it over and I'm done. Easy, peasy and very yummy! :
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:

good for you!! I find the whole anniversary gift thing fascinating - it's just not something I'd ever even think of doing (unless it was like, a 50th anniversary with a big party or something) but are there people that really expect a gift for every anniversary?! That's nuts. I don't even expect DH to get me a gift for our anniversary, LOL.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Good for you!

I had no idea that some people expect anniversary presents. Like a pp said, I could see a 50th or 25th even but for every anniversary!?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
good for you!! I find the whole anniversary gift thing fascinating - it's just not something I'd ever even think of doing (unless it was like, a 50th anniversary with a big party or something) but are there people that really expect a gift for every anniversary?! That's nuts. I don't even expect DH to get me a gift for our anniversary, LOL.
um yeah WHY woudl you get your SISTER and anniversary gift? Are you kidding me? How weired that you are expected to "celebrate" her marriage every year!

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 AM

I don't have time to read this whole thread right now, but I am subbing! What a great idea:-)

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Add me to the list of people who think it's totally weird that anyone would expect a wedding aniversary gift form anyone other than their spouse! I don't even remember the DATE my siblings' wedding anniversaries! :
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 AM

man i must of mis-read because i wasn't outraged... your sister wants a gift for her anniversary? ummm, at the risk of sounding stupid... what the hell for?!?

we don't even do anniversary gifts for eachother let alone siblings anniversaries... sheesh

a 25 or 50 year one though.. yes we will get a gift for the couple.

i think people expect gifts for just breathing these days.

so glad you stuck to your guns!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:52 AM

Well,

For MIL, Step-FIL, Step-SIL, Mom and brother: Magazine subscriptions.

For DH: A Handknitted scarf and cap

For DD: A Handstitched Doll with clothes for the doll to wear (Coat and hat to match, a Dress and a pair of pants and shirt.)

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 AM

great thread

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 AM

I agree with the PP, this thread has got me inspired!

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM

: Subbing.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM

13 pages! :

I am so so so so so so so excited. Christmas is my favorite time of year and this year will be my first year not in Florida in 4 years so we get to see SNOW!!!! WOOT!

The song "Its the moooost wonderful time of the yeaaar!" is playing in my head right now.

I am trying to convince my parents to do a "drawing names" thing. (There are 8 of us total) Unfortunatly, 5 are mine. But whoever the 2 yr old and 5 yr old get, will probably get something really cheap or home made.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 AM

I found 66c polly pockets at target yesterday on the super clearance rack. DD's are going to be happy.

Slowly gathering for santa's sack.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM

: I think I'm done shopping for Christmas! :

All told, I spent about $200... spread out over the last 9 months. I still have to shop for dh and ds's birthdays (12/29 and 12/26)... but still.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

On Saturday, I bought my son's big Christmas present...Star Wars sheets from Potterybarn...I think I am done with him...well except for his gift from his brother which is going to be a legos set.

I am at a loss of what to do for our 2 1/2 yo...any ideas?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM

well, i was in a christmas mood today and got creative with the presents.. i ended up swapping a few things around and this is what we have:

for my sister: a print of the yearly christmas photos of the girls + anthon berg liquer chocolates. actual spend: $9.98 and used in store credit for this, so $0!

for the IL's in general: a print of the yearly christmas photos of the girls

for MIL: gourmet cooking marinades and spices. bought last year for $7.50 on clearance and they don't expire till mid 2009.

for FIL: liquer chocolates from DL chocolate shop. actual spend: $11.95.

for SIL: small coffee creams chocolate box from DL chocolate shop. actual spend: $7.45

for nephew: board game he wanted. bought on sale for $20.00 3 months ago. all wrapped up and ready to go!

for 8yo neice: dd recieved a present for her birthday that was way beyond her years and we have no use for it now. it's perfect for dear neice though! it's a bead jewellery maker and is very cute. all wrapped up and ready to go! $0 spent.

for baby neice: nothing since she is only going to be 5 months old and we are going halves with my mum for a crib for her (relax.. my sister's a co-sleeper.. she's sidecarring the crib).

for my mum: a print of the yearly christmas photos of the girls + a box of dark chocolates from DL chocolate shop. actual spend: $16.95 but we have $15.00 in store credit as part of a loyalty program and so we only pay $1.95!

for the two boys next door: i bought a wiggles CD ($9.98) on in store credit for them that i was planning as part of a present for christmas.. but i decided to give it to 3yo now for his birthday present. so i ended up shopping in our book cabinet! i found 3 books, brand new with stickers still on them, that weren't a huge hit with dd and she decided to give them up. they are all wrapped up and ready to go!

uncle: a bottle of wine from dh's christmas work hampers. we are not wine drinks and recieve a few bottles every year from dh's boss and clients.

we didn't actually spend much this year.. and we are pretty much all done except for dds' presents (which are ordered and in the process of being paid for)... we did very well this year!

ok, this is embaressing.. but tonight.. i sat there on the couch constructing NEXT YEAR'S christmas budget. looking at $460 including all presents, food for christmas eve dinner and all the seasonal stuff that we love, photos, attending festivities, stockings, live christmas tree, 3 new christmas books to add to the collection and the girl's christmas day outfits.. and not everything will be bought in december 2009, but over the course of the year.. and dare i say, our gifts next year are actually going to be much nicer than this years, because i am planning way in advance and are able to catch all the sales. some gifts i am buying now and saving because they are too good to pass up (like two of jamie oliver's best cookbooks for $40 rather than $100 if bought seperately and not on sale!). we're doing books and gourmet chocolates for the adults and natural toys for the kids + games/dvds for my nephew.. and i buy the girl's dresses brand name but at clearance (50% off) during the after christmas sales etc.

not bad.. woohoo for planning in advance!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM

for a 2.5yo... wooden toy train, animals, toddler christmas books..
Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
It'd be really cool if I could think of something bike-related for my sis and her BF. They're bike couriers, and also UBER hard to buy for.
Bike tubes! honestly. We use our bike as our main transportation and go through a few bike tubes a year. Each of us.
Do they bike in the winter? If so, wool undergarments or mittens are a must. Make sure its wool though. Its better for them if they actually start to break a sweat in 20f weather temperatures.
Can you sew?
DH has been making his own pannier. Its a bag that hooks to your back rack. I can send details if you'd like.
Do they have a bike shop they regularly go to? gift card if all else fails
This book is wonderful! Pedal Power
You could totally make a gift basket with some of these things and through in some high energy bars.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM

My family has agreed not to exchange presents among the adults this year (my parents, my bro and I). What a relief! And DH and I are talking about not doing presents and putting the money towards a weekend away after DD's 1st b-day.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm almost done! I'm pg and due in the beginning of January so I really want to get all the Christmas stuff done early. Here's my list

DH: Cashing out miles from our visa card for a gift certificate to get a new vacuum. I'm so romantic! Cost: FREE

DH from DD: Book with plans to make all sorts of cool kid structures DIY-style (swing set, teeter-totter, etc.). Cost: $4

DD: Melissa and Doug art easel that I bought in a co-op for her birthday but never got around to taking out of the box. Christmas themed book, brand new from the thrift store. Cost: $1

SISTER: Bamboo bathroom towel set. These towels are awesome. I got them on sale and had a 15% off coupon. Cost: $40

GREAT GRANDPARENTS (4 different ones): Photo calendars purchased from the dollar bin at JoAnn's. I can print the pictures at home for free as I already have all the supplies. Cost: $4

Extended Family from Name Draw: Various requested gifts. All on sale. We're supposed to spend about $60 each. Cost: $125

MISC. FRIENDS/FAMILY: Cider mulling spice, homemade jam made with plums off my sister's tree. Cost: $5

Still need to get:

FIL & Step-MIL, MIL, and SIL: Bound, hardcover photobook ordered from Snapfish. I compile my favorite pictures of DD from the previous year. I haven't gotten this yet as I still need Halloween and Christmas pictures. Snapfish usually has a sweet coupon code for 20% off in early December right when I'm ready to buy.

BIL: A very specific type of socks that he adores. I get them from a little general store when we are visiting our out of town relatives. Going there for Thanksgiving and will pick them up then.

DAD: Locking mailbox. Still trying to find a good deal.

I have stuffers for all our stockings and everything is wrapped. Phew! Total projected to be spent is between $350 and $400. Not too shabby! Hopefully I can whittle that down even more for next year.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Grandma - Calendar or some other type of "photo" gift.
Parents - no idea - Magic Folding Blocks with their wedding pics
Sister - flat iron
SIL - no idea, maybe a GC
IL's - no idea - maybe photo coasters (buy tile at the home improvement store, decoupage photos on, glue felt on the back)
Kids - have gotten them two toys each now. Will definitely be getting some clothes, probably some homemade Montessori toys as well and maybe some purchased ones too.
dh - probably won't do anything for each other this year - we'd rather spend the money on the kids.

User Tag List