Sort of spin off: How much is your electric bill? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so for a 2700 sq ft home, all electric, this last bill was $266.77, but I'm not sure how many kw that is....That would be 'usage' on my bill?

My MIL lives on our property in a 900 sq ft home, all electric. Her bill is $111.86.

Our water bills are on the same meter, so for both houses, it is $111.83.

Ridiculous.

How do I find out how to reduce it? We are in Tx, so a/c is a MUST here, starting 2 wks ago. We will run it constantly thru most of October.

Usually in the summer our highest combined bills (both electric meters plus the water--on same bill) reach over $800/month.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM

I am so envious of some of these electric bills.

Sq ft. 2100
Everything is electric

last month was 277. and that was running the a/c for two of the four weeks.
Summer electric bills are usually close to 400.

Water, trash, and recycling are billed together and we have septic so we don't pay for sewer. average of 60 per month.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 PM

$61 a month for a small house (livingroom, kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms) in WV. I have a gas stove and I use my dryer *I work 70 hours a week, I don't have time not to use my dryer *

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Charleston SC- 2400+ sq ft- Gas water heater, electric dryer, electric stove : $180-250 avg.'s $220

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM

We just got our first electric bill for our 4 bedroom townhouse. Everything is electric, stove, water heater, dryer etc. Our bill for one month was $500. But that being said, we live in South Texas and run the a/c constantly and with 9 children now all taking showers and baths the hot water heater is constantly working, then of course there is all the laundry to wash and dry.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:57 PM

From April 10 to May 8, it was $42.34. Our house has 3 bedrooms and 3 floors. I'd say it's roughly 1500 sq and we live in an expensive city.

Looks like we used 260 kwh.

I'm pleased with the bill, because I've been running around turning off lights left and right when I see them on.

We've not yet turned on the AC.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 PM

1700 sf all electric house. Spring and fall runs around $130-$150. Winter heating and summer AC take it up to $175-$200 range. Bundled water/sewer/trash runs about $65/month.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 PM

2400 sq. foot, 4 bed 2 bath in Alaska.

I am on budget billing for all of our utilities, to level off the high winter costs with the low summer rates. So, monthly:

$75/electric
$66/water & sewer
$122/natural gas (heat, stove)
$15/waste pickup
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Well our bill says we use about $45-50/mo. but they also carge us another $45 just to deliver the bleepin electricity: It's highway robbery.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Ours is about $200 a month, for a 3000 sq. foot home in Southern California. It jumps up quite a bit in the summer, depending on how hot it is and how much we have to run the a/c. We average about $500 or $600 a month in the summer if we run the a/c, so we run it very sparingly.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 AM

we live in the PHX area and a/c is not an option, but that being said we do keep it at about 80 most of the time. Our last bill was $115 for I think 900 kwh. We only had the ac on for part of the time, and that was with our new "summer billing" (aka more expensive). We live in an 1100 sq. ft house. Our highest bill last year was about $250 but I am hoping for a better this year b/c we are installing new windows in 2 weeks.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Electricity- Our bill last month was $107 and $116 for April. We had to use the dryer during that time. We moved here in December, and our Jan power bill was $75. We heat with wood.
Gas- none, we're all electric.
sewer- none, we have a septic tank
water- none, we have a well
trash- none. It's included in our city taxes.

I'll be able to bring down the electricity bill by using my drying racks instead of the dryer, and we run our thermostat at 80 and turn on the ceiling fans.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are on the budget plan for electricity and its $118 per month. We live in a 900 sq foot apartment with huge cellings (15 ft approx. -- its an old converted mill). We use heat in the long New England winters (its really gas heat but electricity is used as well ) and then some a/c in the really humid hot summer days. Our stove and hot water is also electric. I think we used around 640 kw for the end of april/may bill.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM

on average $40, gas is $20 and water is $15-25
Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 PM

To much. We have budget billing and they just raised our monthly amount from 180.00 to 260.00! Ugh! We live in a 2 bedroom home with no central air. We run the heat at 68 or so in the winter and use window units in the summer. We have a gas stove and dryer. Apparently we also have electric 'leak'. I plan on having a sit down with the family and stressing turning of lights, t.v.s, computers, ect. Hopefully that might help.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 AM

usually 100-130 for an 1,100 sq ft townhome, just for electricity.im addicted to the ac. i wither and nearly drop dead of hotness without air conditioning. especially at night.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 AM

This past month it was 64.03 for a house that is in the mid-2000 square foot range.

Here is the cool thing - our bills always feature an energy comparison chart that spans one year. We had to put in a new HVAC system just over two years ago. I found the most energy efficient one that would work for our house (I was disappointed but they way the ducting is built in our (relatively new 15-20 year) old home and where our Air is located we could not get the really high efficiency systems).

Anyhow the cool thing is that since we put the HE system in, every single bill shows that our usage has decreased compared the same month the previous year. It is so encouraging because then I work on even more ways to decrease our bill so that I can continue the trend.

Since then we've had to replace the hot water heater, I've switched to all compact fluorescents, my dryer broke and I had to got a more efficient dryer, recently the washing machine busted and so we got a Fischer Paykel (I love this machine and highly recommend it). I turn off lights, turn off the computer, switched the dishwasher to air dry, I bought a green plug for the refrigerator, I keep my brewed tea in the refrigerator so it takes less ice, etc. It is like a fun and profitable game.

I guess the age of our house shows. Built in obsolescence means we've had to replace a lot of appliances that wear out completely. Except the dryer that was a husband and bunny issue.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 AM

Electricity alone...$46 last month. We didn't have the AC on at the time though. Our highest bill last summer with AC was in the $90 range. 2500 sq foot home, but 1200 of that is underground.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:27 AM

We have about $51 in electric every month- due to dh's kiln in his glass studio-
water is about $30 every 2 months..included garbage pickup- we do our own recycling
-heat is woodstove and we get and chainsaw the wood ourselves- so only cost is gas/oil in the saw..
our phone bill is the crazy one- $62 a month for local calls and highspeed internet.. no perks on the phone at all..
our home is 5 people- 1200 sq ft- no AC..
Old 06-14-2008, 01:08 PM

We're in CA, our house is 1370 sq ft and our electric bill is around $48-50 a month. We are on a well and septic so no bills for that. We have propane but that is not a monthly bill.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Last month our bill for electricity alone was $100. We keep our thermostat at 79/80 and use fans. We do not have any "phantom" appliances. Can't open our doors due to some of the worst mosquitoes you have seen in your life.

Welcome to Texas.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Our electric has been steadily rising, as is the norm at this time of year. I don't know how much water/sewer/fees were but the total water bill (with all the worked in) was something like $45. It was the same last month.

Electric last month was something like $88. This month it's $115. But we've had stifling hot, humid days where I can hardly breath outside. We live in Eastern NC and have a 2 bedroom townhouse. The windows are crappy so hot air gets in. We have to keep it freezing downstairs so the upstairs won't be totally roasting. And that's even with fans upstairs.

Thankfully, we're moving soon and our next place will have better windows and such, so we won't have to keep the downstairs so cold all the time to keep the upstairs liveable. If we weren't, our electric alone would be about $180 a month by the end of summer.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 PM

santa fe, NM. averages around $120 or $130. some months it's as low as $90 and some months it's higher than $170 (like in jan/feb when it's cold and we run the electric heat). we have no a/c or anything--run fans and open windows for what's usually a good cross breeze. water averages around $50/month (though is often a lot lower), trash is $13 monthly (about $45 quarterly).

our house is 3/2, 1700 sf.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.

User Tag List