Thrifting tribe! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 361 Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somehow I missed this thread before now, glad it got bumped!

I am a thrift store junkie! I love Value Village the most. There are 4 of them I visit semi regularly.

I have been BROKE recently, and my bff that I usually go with just had major surgery she is recovering from, AND I simply DO NOT NEED any more stuff at the moment, so I haven't gone in probably a whole month!

Here's some pictures of finds:
Baby clothes trip #1 on 1/2 off baby clothes sale day:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cthulhug...22381145839090
This all cost about $12

My awesome Maternity! Vinyl! Pants! They were $2.50 in perfect condition. They were perfect to wear to a friend's b-day party a few weeks ago, where she encouraged goth club wear as an ode to her younger days
http://picasaweb.google.com/cthulhug...30533369922930
Also the Kate Spade bag in perfect condition for $2 that I really liked, didn't even notice the brand, now think I will resell it on eBay or something for a little $ rather than use it.

Another happening upon a 1/2 off baby clothes day:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cthulhug...30550549792146
You can't really see juts how much is all stacked there, but there is a LOT and it again was not at all very much $.

AND my favorite recent find! We only had this little loveseat that didn't match anything. I happened across this couch at VV for $40:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cthulhug...18618554182498
I LOVE it!
#62 of 361 Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhugrrl View Post
p
Also the Kate Spade bag in perfect condition for $2 that I really liked, didn't even notice the brand, now think I will resell it on eBay or something for a little $ rather than use it.
Careful with that--every "Kate Spade" bag I have ever thrifted has actually been a fake, and pedaling a fake, even if you don't know it's fake, can get you kicked off Ebay.
#63 of 361 Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM

Did a short thrift store trip.

*A set of professional art markers (retail $90) for $8! Im going to ebay these tho. I really need some $
*Avalon organics conditioner, new, 90 cents
*a freezer bag full of wool embroidery thread, all colors, for $2. Im really geeked about this!
#64 of 361 Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 PM

I thrifted some cute clothes in the past 2 weeks for DS (he's 4 and it is really hard to find stuff in good condition). Some EUC Rugby style shirts were my favs. They were from Goodwill, and here they don't do any % off days, so they were still 2.50ish. This particular Goodwill always has good books, and I found a bunch of American Girl books to put away for 18 month old DD (to go with a new Gotz doll I picked up at a discount, non thrifted). It will be a few years, but the main character has brown hair like the doll, etc. and I thought it would be a nice gift (there were 6-7 new books).

I've also yard saled the past two weekends. My DD hates the car, but these were nice neighborhood sales so there was minimal getting in/out of the car, and the stuff was great.

Some scores:
Sandbox excavator toy (where you sit and pull the various handles to make it scoop sand. Mechanical, not battery operated). $9 and DS is in love.

Boon Potty bench, EUC/like new. $2.

Lands End like new playdress to put away for dd...25 cents
Healthtex peasant shirt like new 25 cents (for DD as well).

Large shelf...4 feet or so, with big ledge and a pole for a blanket. All painted white. I basically had been asking DH to make me one like this for DD's room (it looks like something from Pottery Barn). $3. No materials or work needed other than hanging it.

A stack of a dozen cloth napkins, $1

A big pile of boys tees...mix of long sleeve/short sleeve, mostly name brands like Mulberribush and Gymbo for DS for $5.

about 6 pairs of pants for DS, some in his current size, and some in the next size up for 50 cents to a dollar each (Lands End, Talbots, etc. all EUC).

Various homeschooling supplies/materials/activities for 1-3 bucks each (Hard cover of Polar Express, a McMillan teaching set with stories, activities, art projects, etc., Boggle Jr. game with all of the correct pieces, etc.)

French memo board in colors that coordinate w/ DDs room. Something I wanted anyway. $2, and perfect for her growing supply of hair clips/accessories.

I passed up a marble maze set I found at a local thrift. It would have been 3.50 (half off day) but we already have one. It was a nice wooden set in box.

eta: excellent, sturdy, wooden kid chair for $3. We have one or two, but Dh just built the kids a long kid-sized table for art/reading/crafts/etc. upstairs and the timing was perfect
#65 of 361 Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I posted pictures and prices of today's haul on my blog here. I spent $14. 30, not $10 like I originally thought, but still, not bad!

My best find was a $99 Geosafari system with 8 sets of cards that retail for $14.95 each, all for $3! I haven't been this excited since I got an Ergo for $3.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#66 of 361 Old 06-23-2008, 11:18 PM

I'll look through the whole thread later, but I like thrift stores/rummage sales too. I went to a huge church rummage sale this spring and got my son's outerwear for this upcoming winter, and possibly the next one too since the coat and snow pants are a bit on the big side on purpose. The jacket was Land's End and the snow pants were OshKosh. I also found Hanna Andersson tights for 50 cents!

I've found some nice kids clothes at our local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. Land's End, Gap, Gymboree, rarely Hanna but it happens now and then... if it's a huge size I buy it and will just store it here. I have gotten Land's End, Columbia, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, etc. for myself. I'm about a size 18W so it's not easy to find clothes for me. But any nice stretchy pullover shirts are good. I've found some great tunic style tops there for myself.

It's also a good place to look for fabric if you like to sew (either fabric scraps or just tablecloths, curtains, etc.). Got a baby monitor there too (in case DS wants to go outside or play downstairs during DD's nap).

I occasionally find nice stuff for really good prices at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. Not really thrift but it's heavily marked down.
#67 of 361 Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, do any of you read thrifting blogs? I need some more for my list. The ones I have now are:

Apron Thrift Store
Secondhand Nation
The Shopping Sherpa
Thrift Candy
Thriftaholic: A Tale of Two Addicts
#68 of 361 Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Wow! I never even knew there were thrifting blogs!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#69 of 361 Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 PM

I love thrifting! There is a little shop in the next small town over from where I live. The woman that runs it somehow gets stuff for her shop either free or very close to it. Nothing in that shop is priced over $10, including furniture! I have gotten so many adorable children's clothing items, a dresser and linens and spent something like $6 for everything! Majority of the clothes are 50 cents and then every once in awhile she has a 1/2 price day!

In the summer I also frequent garage sales.

There is a Goodwill down the road from us but after being spoiled by my favorite thrift shop, I find it too expensive.
#70 of 361 Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Woot, the roads are finally open and I can go thrifting again:. They were closed due to the flooding we are having.

I am going on Monday to my Goodwills. Its quarter day for us!!

I am seriously going through withdrawals.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#71 of 361 Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 PM

Figured I'd go once a month this summer to load up on school clothes for the LOs.

I got:

For DD:

2 zip cardigans from GAP
v-neck sweater
sweater from Nordstrom
Carter's shirt
2 pc. Old Navy purple wool suit - blazer/skirt w/ attached slip
Macy's 3 pc. blk/wht polka dot skirt/tank/cardigan NWT
NWT 2 pc. skirt/blouse plaid purple/cream
2. pc Osk Kosh suit - navy floral skirt/navy blazer
Old Navy long sleeve tee/polo

For DS:

GAP raincoat/windbreaker
2 GAP sweaters

I spent $80 which is more than usual but the pieced outfits were pricier ($9-15/each), but are flawless and absolutely adorable!

Oh, and I got myself a cute American Eagle blu/wht striped tube dress

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#72 of 361 Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I love me some thrift stores! I usually frequent the locally owned places, but I have one goodwill I adore. I also really love me some garage and yard sales, but me and my friends have been a little burnt out on them lately.

I also buy most of my stuff secondhand.

Now I pretty much only go when I'm in the area. There is one up the street from me, but it's not in great shape at all and priced high. Still, every once in a while I'll sneak a peak at it, the consignment store, and the baby consignment shop when I'm at my library. When I go to my doctor I'll go to the one near it. Tomorrow I MAY hit up one or two when I check out the natural food store on the same street as them.

I'm trying to cut out buying so much baby stuff, as the "pressure" I'm putting on myself is stressing me out and I'm trying to do the no spend July, so a lot of my shopping is on hold. Although there is a yard sale on Saturday advertising LPs so I may have to check that out.
#73 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all! I've started blogging my thrift finds. You can see yesterday's bins haul here. Four shirts, a skirt, a dress, and some PJ pants, five pillowcases, three pieces of fabric, a parisol, and at least 20" of wooden beads, for less than $20. I feel good about that!
#74 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the plug in your post, AO!
#75 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
Nope, not me. I've got a ten-year-old, but no baby, anymore. I thought about going today, but we just had so much to do. We did discover a new little Indian and Middle Eastern foods market, though, on North Lamar. Sesame candy - yum!

Oh my gosh... Ya'll are making me homesick for Austin.

Dh's aunt left today (thank GOD) and as she was leaving, she slipped me a 20 (belive me... I earned it!).

So I'm going to the thrift on my lunch break. Sing with me!

Goin' to the thrift store and I'm- gonna get a de-e-e-al.

I haven't been going lately because I'm in dallas and it takes forever to drive to a good one.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#76 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Hey, a thrifting tribe! How did I miss this? I looooove thrifting!!
AnnetteMarie, you really got an Ergo for $3??? That does take the prize for best find!
Let me think about my latest finds...
It was clothes mostly this time:
- a mexican skirt 2 euros
- a pair of white Levi's, still perfectly white for just 1 euro (which is about $1,50 now I think)
- a really cute vest 2 euros
- a sundress, two cardigans and PJ's with tags still attached from the Steiff brand (thought they just made bears, who knew they also do clothes) for DD, paid 10 euros for the lot
- a "Burger King, Home of the Whopper" t-shirt as a joke for my brothers birthday, 50 cents.
Some books for the kids, I think it was 4 for 2 euros.

I could do it every day, but it's not a good idea.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#77 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm back! I got a stainless steel mixing bowl (I'm always on the prowl for those-- I use them for everthing!) And a really cute vase that was half of (just cause I liked it)

Grand total 2.48$ Wooohoo! I just realized that it's 6 miles from work to there, so I shouldn't go too often!.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#78 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM

For a dollar, I found a set of three pretty canisters with roses on them. I punched holes on their bottoms and turned them into containers for my herbs for my new apartment. Made a fun afternoon project.

I am wearing really cool army pants (made for a kid, but I am short and a child's size 14) that have wonderful pockets. They are so comfortable.
#79 of 361 Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWin View Post
Hey, a thrifting tribe! How did I miss this? I looooove thrifting!!
AnnetteMarie, you really got an Ergo for $3??? That does take the prize for best find!
Let me think about my latest finds...
It was clothes mostly this time:
- a mexican skirt 2 euros
- a pair of white Levi's, still perfectly white for just 1 euro (which is about $1,50 now I think)
- a really cute vest 2 euros
- a sundress, two cardigans and PJ's with tags still attached from the Steiff brand (thought they just made bears, who knew they also do clothes) for DD, paid 10 euros for the lot
- a "Burger King, Home of the Whopper" t-shirt as a joke for my brothers birthday, 50 cents.
Some books for the kids, I think it was 4 for 2 euros.

I could do it every day, but it's not a good idea.
Hey, Christine, I love your blog!
#80 of 361 Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 AM

I love thrift stores,but I am sometimes too thrifty to shop at them! I live in Seattle and found that the best place to find pants/jeans is the big Goodwill off Jackson. Also there are good deals at the Crown Hill Value Village. I have had the best luck finding things at those two places.
#81 of 361 Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
Hey, Christine, I love your blog!
Aaahw, thanks!!

Catch this weekend:
- two books for me, 3 euros (I read them then donate them back)
- Bob the Builder doll for DS (he's so in love with it!), 10 cents
- SpongeBob placemat to protect the table from DD's creative projects, 50 c
- Yellow Wrangler t-shirt to either wear or cut up for fabric, 50 cents

Also donated a bag of stuff to the thrift store!

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#82 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Hello Ladies! My name is Jessica and I LOVE thrifting! I just never seem to get around to doing it as often as I'd like

Yesterday, I hit three Goodwill stores and spent just under $30. I got:

5 pair(TCP, Gap) EUC jeans for my daughter for $1 a piece.
3 TCP and Gymboree pairs of leggings $1 each
1 TCP shirt $1
1 Carters sleeper $1
1 Lands End Robe for DD for Christmas $3
Pair of black pants for my DH $5
Pair of Khaki pants for my DH $5
Hotsling(!!!!!) $1
Duvet Cover that I've seen at Target for $90, for $4!!!!!

Needless to say I am very happy about my purchases yesterday!!!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#83 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Great deals! I'm especially coveting the sling and duvet.

I'm gearing up for some great thrifting tomorrow. Mama hasn't had a break in a while, and I'm planning to kick some butt. I also managed to save back $60 in grocery money in case something big tickles my fancy. I'm looking for a kid-sized hutch.

#84 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Finally had some extra $ to hit up The village store today.

My finds:
*New in box, Only Hearts club Olivia riding doll (for DD christmas) $1.50
*New in Box Calphalon Bread board This $50 one for $12!
http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-4-In.../dp/B0006U6562
*Like new Pyrex pie pan for $2
*set of stainless steal measuring spoons for 60cents
*Set of 7 I-Spy hardbacks for $2

I may walk over to the Salvation Army today too but I promised the family I'd make a homemade Apple pie.
#85 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm looking for a kid-sized hutch.
I don't think it's really AP to keep them in a hutch, is it?

#86 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I don't think it's really AP to keep them in a hutch, is it?

*snort* What if it's a wooden hand-carved hutch made by fairies, and I toss some organic food in every now and again while singing a pentatonic "come and eat" tune?

#87 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
*snort* What if it's a wooden hand-carved hutch made by fairies, and I toss some organic food in every now and again while singing a pentatonic "come and eat" tune?
I'm uncertain. I don't have kids, myself, so I'm hesitant to have an opinion.
#88 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Not much today, got youngest dd a pair of Old Navy jeans .25, a gymboree shirt .10 and a shirt for Halloween .25. There is a promising sounding garage sale tomorrow hoping to find some good deals there.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#89 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
As long as you don't spank them to make them get in there, it's fine

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#90 of 361 Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
As long as you don't spank them to make them get in there, it's fine
Never ever ever. They'd probably climb in on their own without any coercion anyway. To be honest, they're a bit odd.

Anyway, twice now I've driven past a yard sale and seen one, and for whatever reason I couldn't stop, and when I came back they were gone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page