Thrifting tribe! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has come to my attention that folks here might like to participate in a thrifting tribe! This tribe is a place for thrift shoppers to compare scores and chat about our favorite hobby! Please remember swaps, co-ops, business posts, advertising, etc should not take place on this thread.

Introductions? I'm Grace, I thrift mostly at my local Goodwill stores, with a special preference for their "bins" or "blue hanger" discount stores. I thrift all sorts of things, but have recently made a promise to myself to thrift all of my own clothing (aside from undergarments and shoes and anything I can get that is handmade). I'm a 16/18, so it's a challenge!
#2 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM

I'm a thrifter! I used to prefer garage sales/rummage sales but with gas prices on the rise and yet another kid added to my family, the thrifts are much easier to shop.

I frequent all of my local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul, and Bethesda) but like the Salvation Army best for clothing. Their prices are the lowest and the selection is the best.

I decided a few years ago to try to outfit myself in all used clothing or clothing that I sewed. I'm a size up from you, Grace, so I understand your challenge!
#3 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
It has come to my attention that folks here might like to participate in a thrifting tribe! This tribe is a place for thrift shoppers to compare scores and chat about our favorite hobby! Please remember swaps, co-ops, business posts, advertising, etc should not take place on this thread.

Introductions? I'm Grace, I thrift mostly at my local Goodwill stores, with a special preference for their "bins" or "blue hanger" discount stores. I thrift all sorts of things, but have recently made a promise to myself to thrift all of my own clothing (aside from undergarments and shoes and anything I can get that is handmade). I'm a 16/18, so it's a challenge!
I am new to thrift shopping. I am trying new places. I have the opposite problem with my size, I am thin and it is very hard to find some of my size (I have problem with mostly the bottoms), even in the regular stores is a problem. Not only that but alot of the cloths so far is not my style. If they are not 'old' for me they look clubish. I do a few 'clubish' ones for when I go out w/ DS to eat. But so far I have only checked out Value Village, I still have a few more to visit. But I am finding some nice deals for DS
#4 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joining! I love thrifting and if I could do it as a full time job, I would. I go to Goodwill, and we have a local thrift store where I have found a few nice things.

I mostly buy things I need for around the house. I have to be careful but I am a clutterbug. I have gotten a lot of nice metal stuff for DD's play kitchen. I also buy junky plastic toys that my DD plays with for a little while, then I resell them at my garage sale when she is bored with them.

I love looking at the kids clothes. Most of my DDs dresses have come from thrift stores for $1. You would never know it. I try to buy stuff that is barely worn.

I buy wool sweaters in the winter and make wool felt playfood for my little girl. Our stores don't usually have sweaters for sale during the summer, so I am concentrating on using up my stash of different colors.

I don't generally have good luck finding clothes for myself. Every once in a while I do, if I take the time to look.

I used to thrift for profit using ebay, but I quit ebay and now I am boycotting. It was fun but I really didn't make much money.

I went to 3 Goodwills yesterday and spent $25. Here is what I bought:

Lands End 4T winter dress, like new
plastic doll highchair for garage sale
plastic ball toy for garage sale
cotton t-shirt
2 dresses for next summer for DD
dance outfit for dress-up
2 pots for replanting plants that have grown
cute jar to store my buttons
small bookshelf to paint for DDs kitchen storage
book for DD
brown wool sweater (score!)

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#5 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Question: how often do you all thrift?

If I am being totally honest, I will admit to you that I visit one or more thrift stores probably 4 days a week. There are five stores I visit at least once a week each. I just figured out how much that is costing me in gas, though, and I am going to have to cut back.

Today's score was a NIP Williams & Sonoma herb drying rack for $.75. Retail $24.99.
#6 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Hello there..

I am Andrea and I am a thrifter and I recently just fell in love with garage sales. :

We go to Goodwill and all the local community thrift stores. (no Salvation Army or Savers around here). My favorite is called the Leydig center. Clothes there are always .50 to 1.00.

I buy all my Dh's work clothing second hand and most of my boys' clothing. I tend to strike out for me though. I am picky though.

I get toys and household items as well.

I actually hate Goodwill. I think they are way overpriced but I do hit up their $1.00 days.

I would say I go thrifting once a week if I can get MIL to go with me. It is hard with 2 kiddos in tow. I like to get up early on Sat. and hit the rummage sales.

I am having the clutter problem now though so I need to be extremely picky with what I bring home.
#7 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM

I'm a somewhat half hearted thrifter. I check out a couple shops when I can, but I'm not a die hard... yet.

Last week I found a cute piece of fabric at our local charity shop. I traced one of DD's dresses and did a little sewing and she now has the cutest little dress. And it only cost me 25 cents!

I'm encouraged to keep thrifting more!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#8 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 PM

If I lived nearer to the thrift stores, I would go all the time. I go a couple times a month, generally on Mondays which is quarter day for clothes.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#9 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi, I'm Malinda and I'm a thriftoholic.

Seriously, I'm addicted to thrift stores, namely Value Village. I shop only for clothes, and sometimes shoes, for DD, DS and myself. We have ridiculously obscene amounts of clothes, but it's so easy to justify when they're $1-5/each for Ralph Lauren, Liz Claiborne, Osh Kosh, etc.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#10 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM

I love, love, love thrifting--sign me up!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Question: how often do you all thrift?

If I am being totally honest, I will admit to you that I visit one or more thrift stores probably 4 days a week. There are five stores I visit at least once a week each. I just figured out how much that is costing me in gas, though, and I am going to have to cut back.

Today's score was a NIP Williams & Sonoma herb drying rack for $.75. Retail $24.99.
I am starting to go at least once a week. I try to only do it when I am going to a place nearby. When I take DS to the library I stop my the thrift store next by, tomorrow I am going to the farmers market so I am going to check out the thrift store(s) close by.
#12 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 PM

I thrift whenever I get a chance. If it's the school year, my oldest has orchestra for 1/2 hour every day every other week. I love to drop him off, hit one of the shops, and then pick him up. In the summer, it's yard sales. And then all year round are the church sales. It hurts when I have to buy something new.

We "only" have five thrift stores here. One is pretty far and I don't go often. The other is only open Saturday mornings. Another one is only open Friday and Saturday mornings. I wish we had more,

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#13 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Sign me in-I am a garage/yard sale girl mostly, and my area usually has some great deals. I am always looking for Pyrex bowls, kitchen utensils, toddler girls clothes, household stuff and would like to find things for DH's shop.

I only drive once or twice a week, so I can afford to drive my little car around to go to yard sales.

I found another really nice little crock pot last week for $3 brand new, I don't think it had been used really. There was a ton of baby stuff, but I have everything and am not even expecting a LO or anything, so I don't know why I would look at baby stuff, but it was nice and in good condition. I'll go out this weekend and check out more. I also found DD some books brand new a few weeks ago, and a sled for next winter. I also used to frequent our local Senior Center, but the ladies are kinda grumpy sometimes and really controlling I've found, so I don't go but maybe once a month. I do love the yard sales though.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#14 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
I'm a somewhat half hearted thrifter. I check out a couple shops when I can, but I'm not a die hard... yet.

Last week I found a cute piece of fabric at our local charity shop. I traced one of DD's dresses and did a little sewing and she now has the cutest little dress. And it only cost me 25 cents!

I'm encouraged to keep thrifting more!

Aww, that is the cutest dress! What a deal on the fabric.

I wish I had more opportunities to visit thrift stores. I love, love, love them. It's a shopping adventure.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#15 of 361 Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Aww, that is the cutest dress! What a deal on the fabric.
Thanks! The fabric was scrunched up in a ball in a corner of the 'kids corner'. I think it was one of those 'crib sheet protectors' that you just lay on the crib. It was serged all around the edges. I just really liked the pattern

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#16 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Yay! I used to go to the thrift store almost once per week. There is a Goodwill really close by. I always went on 1/2 price clothing day and now my daughter is totally stocked up on clothes. I noticed that I hardly ever put her new stuff on her because I'm afraid they will get ruined, so she really just wears thrifted stuff. She has way too many dresses and really prefers pants. Luckily I didn't spend a lot on those dresses, kwim?

I'm finding it hard to find stuff for my son now that he is entering size 5. I think I need to explore garage sales for better prices and hopefully find one being run by a family with a boy just older than ds. That would be perfect.

I collected wool sweaters the winter before last, felted them and made a cute patchwork pillow with them.
#17 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM

I belong here, too. I'm not thrifting very regularly at the moment, but will probably get back into it over the summer, once turtle's new business venture is a bit more established (she's pet sitting).
#18 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 AM

I love thrifting too! I was going 2x a week but have cut down to once a week or every other week. We have a Goodwill, Salvation Army, and a couple of smaller thrift stores (only one of which I have been to). I like Goodwill the best. They have the best selection and is the biggest store by far. Whenever I visit another town I always hit up their thrift stores too! I mostly get clothes for dd and me but also toys and home items. My best all-time score was an antique wood coffee table for $2. Yes, 2 bucks

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#19 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I found some cool stuff yesterday. A NIP Smith & Hawken botanical/herb drying rack for $.75, a NIP henna kit for $.99, etc. It was a good day. Spent too much total though...
#20 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM

I LOVE Goodwill..they have the best kids' clothes and books...book heaven!!! My problem is I need to stay out of the video section...EEEVIL!!!
#21 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM

We definitely belong in this tribe!

We buy all our non-consumables used, mostly at thrift stores: clothes, books, games, tools, knick knacks, movies, furniture, kitchen goods, electronics, you name it. We live in Austin, and it's overflowing with great thrift stores - I've never seen so many in one place. That's one of my absolute favorite things about this town.

A few days ago, I went looking for a birthday present for my mother. Usually, I have a decent gift stash built up, but because her birthday is so close to Mother's Day, my stash was depleted. I ended up finding a sweet, handmade rag rug basket (she had been admiring some on Etsy.com), a tealight candle and holder, a forget-me-not flower starter pack, and a beautiful, ceramic outlet cover with Victorian-style flowers and printing. I added a few bars of homemade soap I had around the house that were too florally for me (though just right for her) and a bag of gourmet coffee my husband bought from work for cheap (he works in a gourmet foods store). I tied the soaps together with some long strands of rafia-type stuff, padded the basket with some more, and voila! Total cost? About $10. And it was gorgeous! She took everything out, then replaced it all because it looked so pretty filled up.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#22 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
We live in Austin, and it's overflowing with great thrift stores - I've never seen so many in one place. That's one of my absolute favorite things about this town.
OH!! We have to chat! I'm in Austin too, and it's the best thrift town I have ever seen. What are your favorite stores?

Your mum's gift sounds great, BTW.
#23 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM

I live just outside Chicago, where there a TONS of thrift stores.

My fave is Unique Thrift, especially on Monday when everything is half price.

Almost all the kids' clothes come from there, and at least half of mine.

I go about once a month, especially when I notice the kids' need new clothes or a new season is starting. (Like, a few weeks before it gets warm out, I hit the thrift store and buy tons of T's and shorts for the kids.)

I sometimes go to garage sales, but this weekend I went to two where all girls' dresses were $3.50 a piece, and that's a lot to me for used clothes when I'm used to getting them for almost nothing.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#24 of 361 Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Checking in!
Ill come back after I read the thread
#25 of 361 Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
OH!! We have to chat! I'm in Austin too, and it's the best thrift town I have ever seen. What are your favorite stores?
Yay! Another Austinite! We have such a cool town. It's like an oasis of cool in the middle of a state that is definitely not cool. And I can't imagine that there's any town out there with more thrift stores than this one.

I love Thrift Town down on Manchaca and The Caring Place up in Georgetown. Those are my two favorites, but I'm always hitting the Goodwills and Salvation Armies, too. Oh, and Savers. Sometimes I'll hit some of the smaller ones, and every once in a while I'll do a Burnet run (there are scores of different ones on Burnet!), but mostly I stick to those. We just have so many around here that I can't get to them all! Which ones are your favorites??

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#26 of 361 Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Ooh!! I love to thrift. So much so I have to ban myself from stores sometimes because I get too addicted. I mostly go to the local goodwill. I have a charity store I love but it is rather far away so I only shop there when I have a donation to make and I try to make a large pile before I go.

This year I am experimenting with the 10 for 1.50 book bin. I try to pick books that I think I can make a good trade-in at half-price books and then I am going to give my parents a big shopping spree at half-price books for Christmas.

I am try to work towards more clothing from the thrift stores - that is one area I am not very good at - I find it hard to dig through the clothes when my girls are being rambunctious.
#27 of 361 Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
I love Thrift Town down on Manchaca and The Caring Place up in Georgetown. Those are my two favorites, but I'm always hitting the Goodwills and Salvation Armies, too. Oh, and Savers. Sometimes I'll hit some of the smaller ones, and every once in a while I'll do a Burnet run (there are scores of different ones on Burnet!), but mostly I stick to those. We just have so many around here that I can't get to them all! Which ones are your favorites??
My go-to stores are the North Lamar Goodwill and the Research Blvd Goodwill, mostly because they are the closest to my house. I also spend a good bit of time at the Goodwill Blue Hanger North. I don't like Savers at all. I've been to Thrift Town and liked it, but it's way way out of my way. I've never even heard of The Caring Place--is it something I should check out?
#28 of 361 Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM

I love thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales. I go to at least one weekly in nice weather!
#29 of 361 Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I really hate yard sales. I won't go to them. They make me feel pressured, like someone is going to be offended if I don't buy something, so I always end up buying stuff I don't really want. Plus they're labor intensive and require too much driving.
#30 of 361 Old 06-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I live just outside Chicago, where there a TONS of thrift stores.

My fave is Unique Thrift, especially on Monday when everything is half price.

Almost all the kids' clothes come from there, and at least half of mine.

I go about once a month, especially when I notice the kids' need new clothes or a new season is starting. (Like, a few weeks before it gets warm out, I hit the thrift store and buy tons of T's and shorts for the kids.)

I sometimes go to garage sales, but this weekend I went to two where all girls' dresses were $3.50 a piece, and that's a lot to me for used clothes when I'm used to getting them for almost nothing.

I live in Chicago! I love our thrift stores! I have 3 within walking distance from me. My favorite is The Village on Kedzie, in Irving park neighborhood.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page