You Need a Budget ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone uses this, can you tell me if I could use it to budget considering that we are only paid 10 months out of the year?

I use Quicken now and love it, but it won't let me set up my paychecks to stop every summer (as far as I know), so my budgetting usually involves some guesswork about summer expenses and it's not easy for me to see what is going on.

TIA for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 12:46 AM

I don't use quicken, but a budget is essential to anyone IMO, and even more important if you dont have 12mths of paychecks. You need to know your basic expenses so you can cover the months you dont get paid easily and know how much you have left for luxurys.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 AM

http://www.youneedabudget.com/

I know nothing about it. Just thought I'd pop that in for others who don't know what it is
Old 06-15-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeslie View Post
http://www.youneedabudget.com/

I know nothing about it. Just thought I'd pop that in for others who don't know what it is
oops, now I feel stupid didnt know there was something out there by this name
Old 06-15-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
oops, now I feel stupid didnt know there was something out there by this name
That's ok I do agree that everyone needs a budget, and I do have one in Quicken, but as I said the lack of ability to start/stop paychecks without using the paycheck wizard is frustrating to me and makes it hard for me to SEE what is happening over the summer.

I could just set up my paychecks as regular recurring entries and use the split transaction function in Quicken, but I really like the paycheck wizard and how it works--if only it worked for those of us who don't have paychecks over the summer

Thank to the OP for the link, but I don't see a search function on their website so I looking for anyone who currently uses this program to help me out on this before I buy it!

Thank you all again
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 AM

i have quicken, maybe what you can do is keep the paychecks the way they are, but for the summer months, create a debit for the rough amount of your paychecks?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
i have quicken, maybe what you can do is keep the paychecks the way they are, but for the summer months, create a debit for the rough amount of your paychecks?
I have tried that before, it did kind of work. However, I am incredibly anal and didn't like the way it looked

It's not entirely true that I don't get a paycheck in the summer--we get paid to cover rent/utilities but not a salary, so the amount changes dramatically.

kris4chloe

Do you actually use Quicken to budget, or do you just use the forcasting tool? I don't really use the budget, per say but I do use the forcasting and have entered all of my recurring payments/paychecks so that I can see how much money I have each month--but I have never been able to really make the budgetting part of Quicken work for me.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafi View Post
If anyone uses this, can you tell me if I could use it to budget considering that we are only paid 10 months out of the year?

I use Quicken now and love it, but it won't let me set up my paychecks to stop every summer (as far as I know), so my budgetting usually involves some guesswork about summer expenses and it's not easy for me to see what is going on.

TIA for any help
I haven't used it, but it seems fairly popular at http://www.livinglikenooneelse.com

Erica
Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

there actually is a searchable forum on the YNAB website, it's on the bottom and I didn't scroll down far enough

I can't seem to search properly though, but I am liking what I have seen so far. Really tempted to buy it, but I think I will wait a bit longer.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafi View Post

kris4chloe

Do you actually use Quicken to budget, or do you just use the forcasting tool? I don't really use the budget, per say but I do use the forcasting and have entered all of my recurring payments/paychecks so that I can see how much money I have each month--but I have never been able to really make the budgetting part of Quicken work for me.
I dont use the budget. I use the forcasting because like you we have fluctuations. my dh's paycheck pays the basic bills with very little left over. like 100-150 a week. My income from my businesses' are what we use for gas, groceries etc. If I have a good week I stick some away, pay something down, but pretty much we live off the rest.

I wouldn't be able to do it without quicken though, I keep it open most of the day and update as needed, so I always know how much money is in which account, etc. I am just anal like that. LOL

User Tag List