Do you know people IRL who are loosing their jobs? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not know anyone who has lost a job. My dh is the manager of the local branch of a company and he is actually looking to hire three people right now and not getting very many resumes. These are well paying jobs with good benefits.

I live in New Orleans and the economy is booming here right now, which was predicted in the 3-5 years following Katrina. Most places are complaining of not having enough employees, especially the refineries. They run 24/7, so when they don't have enough employees, they cannot refine as much oil which leads to a shortage in the market and higher prices.

I am a teacher and we are also having a teacher shortage right now. My classes in the fall will be bigger than they ever have been because we cannot find enough good English teachers at the high school level. I work for the highest paying parish in the state and we got a $7,500 raise last year!

I feel for those who are struggling right now. I know I am blessed to be living where I am. We thought about moving right after the storm and decided to stay because we felt like we needed to. We were born and raised here and did not want to cut and run when things were down. Now we are being rewarded for sticking it out when we did.
#62 of 89 Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
mtm

I only know one person who has been laid off and it was more a bad fit for the job that the employer called restructuring. All around us car manufacturers are closing down though.
#63 of 89 Old 07-02-2008, 04:36 PM

Yes, 2 guys in my neighborhood who were each making over $200,000 per year, in banking.
#64 of 89 Old 07-02-2008, 06:16 PM

My husband was laid off and my hours have been cut so much that I've only gotten 18 in the past three weeks.

My husband powder-coat paints lawn mowers (the big expensive ones).

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#65 of 89 Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM

We know people, for sure. Locally (we're in the Dallas area) and in other states since DH works at home for a California company that laid off about 7% of its workers about a month ago. Since DH is in a technical field (and my training is in one, although I haven't worked in about 4 years) and so much of that has gone to India and China within the past decade, we are prepared for a period with no jobs for either of us if it comes to that.
#66 of 89 Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 AM

Yes, My friend in S.C DH's was laid off. She is the only one working and they have four kids. I think she makes like $9 an hour.
#67 of 89 Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Almost wo years ago, my DH was let go THREE times in that year from different places. FIL lost his job around the same time, but thankfully was right at his retirement age.

My BIL lost his job of 12 years the end of December, and more than a few neighbors, friends and parents of our kids' friends have/are in the process of losing their jobs.

ALL manufacturing jobs...mostly automotive, but some aren't. We're in the Ohio/Michigan area.
#68 of 89 Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Dh lost his job this morning.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#69 of 89 Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites View Post

And here's some good job hunting vibes. :::

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#70 of 89 Old 07-10-2008, 03:32 PM

No, but I do know some people IRL are having a hard time finding job. My SIL just got her 2-year degree in May and hasn't found work yet, my friend just got her grad degree (in theater) last year, and has cobbled together three part-time jobs, my husband's friend who got out of the military - well, he actually went back in after he realized there wasn't much to be had job wise.

So, I don't know anyone who's LOST their job, but I know a few people who can't really find work.
#71 of 89 Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Yes. Two of DH's cousins have lost their jobs. One worked in a warehouse and the other was a legal secretary. I think in both instances they were let go due to budget concerns. Both cases within the last 4 months.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#72 of 89 Old 07-10-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
So sorry to hear that

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#73 of 89 Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Thanks, ollineeba and Tangled Hill. We're working on it - he's got a few resumes out. My fingers are crossed.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#74 of 89 Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 AM

My mom just got her hours cut again, she works in social services, and they are cutting back more and more. It *may* be okay though, I think it might be time for us to start our cookie company.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#75 of 89 Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry. I wish him luck on his job hunt.

My hours were cut (California school district). Dh is the only person left in his department. All of his inspectors were laid off so now he does the engineering and the inspections.
#76 of 89 Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 AM

My DH works in the film industry (grip department, not glamorous) .. which I think has lost about 40-50% of jobs.. it started with the writers strike and has not picked up yet, since.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#77 of 89 Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM

I don't know anybody who has lost their jobs or hours. I am in West Central Florida (Tarpon Springs).
#78 of 89 Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry. I hope he is able to find another one quickly. I'm sending good job vibes your way!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#79 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 AM

My husband is going to be laid off soon. His employer had many suppliers go out of business and cannot find any more work.
#80 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I am very sorry this happened to you. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.
#81 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 AM

Me. After 21 years I was layed off Friday. Company layed off 50 and many more to come. I had been with the Company literally half my life, but I did expect to be layed off. I think we'll be fine though. Good severance, etc.
#82 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barky586 View Post
Me. After 21 years I was layed off Friday. Company layed off 50 and many more to come. I had been with the Company literally half my life, but I did expect to be layed off. I think we'll be fine though. Good severance, etc.
Sorry to hear that.

I only know one person that was laid off this year and she works now at the company I work for. I have known people, including myself, that have had real problems finding full-time work again once they have been laid off. I consider myself very lucky to have this job.
#83 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Three people at church are out of work (recently lost their jobs). I know at least one was due to a decline in construction business.
#84 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM

My husband lost his job in April and so far he hasn't been able to find anything. He worked for a nonprofit and we're in the south. The biggest surprise for us wasn't that he lost his job, but that it's so hard for a college-educated, experienced worker to find a new job now.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#85 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Just me. LOL. And I wasn't too sad about it. I got to do a lot of knitting and baking.

Everyone else that I know that has changed jobs (and I know quite a few) have done it voluntarily. I even know a few that took second jobs a year or two ago and are now quitting them.
#86 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 PM

My office mate (we share the office, but are in there at different times as we're both very part-time) told me that her husband lost his job today... 19 years at the same place.

They told them all yesterday to bring a box with them to work. I thought that was kind of callous.
#87 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
No, I don't know anyone personally.
This.

Not anyone yet.

My brother was unemployed for a while when a popular local bookstore shut down (accounting position) but no one since. Most of my friends are in management and upper management positions, VPs, an attorney, professor a grad student, body worker, local cafe positions and my mother is an RN but I'm not sure how much this has to do with their job security at this point.
#88 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 PM

My job has me interacting with a lot of people, and every week I talk to someone who has a family member or friend who has lost a job. Even the carpet company my father works for closed one of their stores.

My job is cutting everyone back and paying less. Reps are dropping like flies because they don't want to pay enough to make the job worth having.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#89 of 89 Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 AM

I do not have any personal friends or family members that have lost their jobs in the last 12 months. In fact, a number of them have gotten new or better jobs or raises. We have a lot of friends that have just finished grad school for example and they are off to pretty decent jobs in the area. My husband got a wonderful, secure pt job with full benefits last Septmeber and I got a 15%+ pay raise shortly before that. So all in all, it's been a decent year for us.

I work in social services (luckily an agency with a very large endowment and strong foundation support that is not going anywhere) and some of the families we serve have had their hours cut at low wage service industry jobs. Stands to reason that people are eating out less and buying less frivolous stuff like lattes. Still, no newly unemployed workers that I serve. Some are unemployed but have been so for a long time or have personal issues that prevent them from working at this time. The economy is not great, but for whatever reason the job market has been pretty decent here, at least in my demographic. I know Qwest and Boeing have both let people go here, but I don't know these people personally. Most of my friends are in medicine, teaching, engineering, computers, gov't/politics or law. I do know one person who has closed his bakery cafe 1 day a week because he could not sell enough to make it worth opening 6 days a week, so now he opens 5 days a week. Still doing well $$ wise, ends up making the same in 5 days as he did in 6. Another friend took a job to advance his career pretty far away from here (he moved an hour north so his commute would not kill him) but that was more to get the next step up on his resume in a hard field (journalism) than economic necessity.

Though, more than layoffs I wonder about attrition. I think some employers just are not hiring replacements when someone leaves on their own...

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page