Do you know people IRL who are loosing their jobs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's one thing to sit and read in the newspaper or online about this company cutting jobs or the unemployment rate being at such and such percentage. I am just curious if you know anyone in real life who has lost their job due to the economic changes over the last... oh let's say 6 months to a year? What line of work were they in? What area of the country?
#2 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 PM

We do. My dh's company (building materials; southeast) has cut the workforce by over 35% this year.
#3 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 PM

My best friend's husband is losing his job at the end of this next quarter - just in time for fall and winter. He's been told already. He runs a printing press.
#4 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM

My FIL was laid off in November and hasn't found a job yet
#5 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 PM

16 people at DH's branch, and hundreds nationally at his company. Some of his friends were part ofthe group laid off this past Friday.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#6 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Haven't seen anyone IRL lose their job completely, however, many people's hours have been cut.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#7 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

It is hard to read about so many people struggling... My bestfriends DH was told today that his entire company will be closing this Thursday. Work had been slow, but they thought it would pick up and then BAM, to be told that.

We seem to be in a little bit of a protected bubble where we live, so when I talk to my DH about people loosing their jobs all over- he just doesn't see the reality of it... I keep telling him its a trickle down effect and it is well started and will continue.
#8 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 09:28 PM

I dont know anyone who has lost their job. im crossing my fingers that dh or I dont, that would really be very very bad. I dont know what we would do.
#9 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My company is restructuring (actually a Chapt. 11 reorganization,) and dozens of my co-workers have been laid off since January. My scrapbooking girlfriends have DHs who work in auto manufacturing, and just got layoff news today. Plus, living in St. Louis, we have many friends who work for A-B - it's not looking too good for lots of those employees right now.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#10 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A lady at my church is a hospital social worker. She works part-time and due to budget cuts, they're cutting their part-time workers as of next week.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#11 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 PM

No, I don't know anyone personally yet. I worry about the future of my father's job though.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#12 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM

No, I don't know anyone personally.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#13 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 PM

My Dh's Uncle at a big auto company in Michigan..( fill in blanks and is two letters ) he was a higher up employee..

They now have lost their home ( well will its not heres here anymore in a couple weeks) and still wont admit they need to change they are in lalala land...aunt says she still needs 2 dinning rooms for both tables... she now makes $8 hostessing. Uncle doesn't work and cant find a job

My family so far is fine and my DH has a job that isn't likely to be cut ( utility)
#14 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 PM

Unfortunately, we know several people. :

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#15 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 PM

dh

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#16 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM

I do. I lost my job and Dh lost his within a year's time. I worked for the federal government (wow, never saw that coming... thought I would retire from there!) and DH worked for a large for profit MH place that "downsized" all the people making any sort of money. We are in the north eastern part of the country.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#17 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Yes, myself and many around me here in Michigan (everyone I write about is from this state unless otherwise noted).

At my last job I worked for a clothing retail store that closed it's doors in April (SDD's Mom worked there too - she also is having trouble finding a job). About 100 stores company wide are set to shut down this year alone.

Going back further than the year you requested, just to give you a little backround:

My old grocery store that I worked at for many years (was my first job) is no longer in business as of last year. The stable I worked at before I had DS is losing horses, and as a result is cutting hours dramatically ( I LOVED working there). The shop that DH and I worked at for a short time(and where we met) replaced workers with machines (this was five years ago I believe). Basically, every job I have worked at has gone under or made cuts in some manner. As I was filling out my layoff paperwork for the retail store, the district manager joked I must be the death bringer to companies because of my luck so far. I tried to keep my chin up, but inside it made me feel like sh*t .

The private investigation company DH worked at 2 years ago (that provided for us very well) went out of business, and he hasn't been able to find a decent job since. We have been struggling, barely surviving. That is why we are moving accross the country to where jobs are waiting for us. We have had enough with the lack of jobs that can actually support us.

Others I know that have been affected within this last year -

~ My Aunt and Uncle (they are my Mom's siblings) worked for a auto parts manufacturer for roughly close to 20 years each. Both lost their jobs due to job cuts.

~ My other Aunt that lives in North Carolina was an accountant for a construction company for over 25 years. The boss decided to retire rather than keep the company afloat (this happened around christmas). She is "starting over" at age 50.

~ Another Aunt is a teacher, and has noticed a dramatic drop in students this year. Parents were so broke that not enough students signed up for summer school, so it got cancelled, along with the extra money my Aunt needed.

There are more than this list, and it just keeps getting worse.
#18 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
Unfortunately, we know several people. :
So do we. I have about a half dozen friends whose breadwinner is out of work. Add to that, about a dozen more. I am in the Chicagoland area.

My BIL was a bigwig at the company he was at- a consumer goods company on the east coast. They let go of several people under him and forgot to tell him. He is a divorced bachelor and no children. He has been interviewing anyhow just to do something different and said to the company- if they go, let me go. So he officially left last week w 18 mos severance, all his stock etc, airline milage and his country club membership. He already has several interviews lined up. Thats the good story, all the others are not good stories.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#19 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

DH was laid off in March. He worked for a lighting company. They're actually trying to get rid of a lot of people and hire temps so they have to pay less and don't have to pay benefits. DH hasn't found anything else yet.

There is a Stoufers/Nestle plant in town that's cut almost everyone to 30 hours per week. Another place in town just cut 40 jobs. They make automotive chasis'. They're getting ready to either cut hours or lay people off in the service department as customers don't want to have to drive here to get service done since gas prices are so high. Things don't look good around here.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#20 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
dh
My DH too, he has been at a new job for 2 weeks now. He was out of work for 2.5 months. we are so thankful he is working now but he is only making 70% of his previous salary, but it sure is better than nothing!!
#21 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 PM

My BIL lost his job about 6 months ago, but it was due to office politics more than the economy at large. However, he has not been able to find another job in that time.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#22 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 PM

DH here too, but it wasn't because of the current economy; he really was very over paid with his pay plan. We were quite lucky for several years. He replaced his job within hours, but his income has been cut in half.
#23 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 PM

My friend in St. Louis who works in advertising lost her job last week.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#24 of 89 Old 06-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Yup. A friend of mine's husband was laid off and is still out of work.

d.

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#25 of 89 Old 07-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Yep, my good friend's dh was let go almost 2 years ago. Then he got a job out of state and commuted 7hours each way only coming home on the weekends. The boss on that one flaked out and he's now been back home for a few months and still hasn't found a job.

My dh has a job but tried for 2 years to find a better one with no luck.

There are 2 companies in our town that was taken over by a company from out of the country. At the first they laid off over 1/2 the people. People who had been there for over 30 years and were getting paid big $ even though it was manufacturing. This of course has trickled down. My fil's co was the other that was taken over. Their entire plant was shut down. He was close to retiring anyway, but he would've stayed had they not strongly suggested he retire.

It's really bad up here.
#26 of 89 Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 AM

My Sis. She's a bartender/waitress at high-end resturants in downtown Minneapolis. Her main bartending gig just got cut -- they're closing the store she's been working at for years. She's having a tough time getting hours at her other waitressing job because the crowds are slow, and she isn't getting many hours at her "fun" job (working in a tattoo parlour) either.

Luckily, she's single and can quit the whole thing and move back home to go back to school to get her CPA. She's been offering to give some of her shifts up to other waitresses who aren't so lucky and have little ones to support, but they don't know how long the whole resturant is going to last at this point.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#27 of 89 Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 AM

Yes--me. My hours were cut in half effective tomorrow. Not the end of the world, but not great, either.

I doubt I'll have a job in 2 months. I *hope* I do and want the company to do well, but...

And MIL told me she lost one of her teaching jobs (she teaches ESOL/ABE/pre-GED courses)--that's 6 hours/week gone.
#28 of 89 Old 07-01-2008, 01:26 AM

My sister and a good friend of my DH are both now out of a job, in WA.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#29 of 89 Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 AM

About 50 people were fired last week where I work. They were mostly support staff like unit clerks, telemetry monitors, CNA's. All the executive employees were given a 10% pay reduction, that included the CEO. It also included my MIL but for her a 10% pay reduction isn't gonna hurt too bad since she's been there 30+ years and is very financially stable. As an RN working in a state where patient ratio laws are in effect my job is pretty secure, unless the hospital gets really desperate. The man won't lose his job the ER doesn't have enough providers as it is, he's very good at what he does and if the ER in our local hospital didn't need him he'd still be able to find work quickly.

The main reason for the mass layoffs is Medical funding which has been reduced greatly over the last few years. We provide care to anyone even if they don't have insurance and Medical can't/won't cover as much as they previously did.
#30 of 89 Old 07-01-2008, 02:25 AM

My DH was part of the layoffs at AOL, so were a lot of other people we know. Although, the AOL layoff packages were good and everybody we know found new jobs quickly. The layoff was actually really good for us.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page