Did you sell your wedding dress? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been planning to sell my dress for a while now, and the money would really come in handy. However, I'm having trouble finding a re-sale site that has much traffic. Maybe there just isn't much of a market for used wedding dresses...

Where did you go to sell your dress?

ps - no luck so far w/craig's list either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 PM

i've been meaning to for 5 years, now. there's a consignment place here in the city that takes wedding dresses. but they want you to clean the dress first, and dry-cleaning costs 100$. :
#3 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM

I sure did ... well, my mom did it for me. =) Sold it at a bridal consignment shop and I got around $50 IIRC. That was, oh like, 11 years ago.
#4 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM

So ironic you posted this. After almost three years I took my wedding dress to the cleaners. Mine is not fancy but I thought heck if I sell it someone else will benefit from it. I am also going to sell my after wedding dress. Part of me want sto wait until I am done ttc. In case I have a dd. But the chances she will be a 2p with a 6 ft 200lb dh ??? I do not know.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#5 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
But the chances she will be a 2p with a 6 ft 200lb dh ??? I do not know.
lol Yeah, I think the idea of a future dd wearing the dress is novel, but I know when I was planning for the wedding, I wanted something in my own style. Plus I don't want to have to hang on to it until then...
#6 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't see it being much value in resale, you can sell them on ebay, but there are so many the market seems pretty saturated.

I am okay with keeping it for sentimental reasons. And while I don't expect my DD to wear it, I do think what if something happened to me - it might become a lot more meaningful to DD to have my wedding dress to wear or reshape into a dress for her if I couldn't be there in person.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 PM

i can't really see my sons ever needing it. although my partner wore it, once...
#8 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mine is actually in my living room right now. i don't expect to get much for it but maybe it can help somoene out. it is a very simple dress so it can easily be altered to suit someones size or style.

or I may cut it up and make something else from it. . . .

at the most though I am thinking it might fetch $20. I know my dd won't want it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM

I had to have mine made for me because I was too fluffy to buy off the rack : I still have it, but I would part with it if I knew of another fluffy bride who could use it. I think maybe I might cut it up to make something for any children I might have one day, that might be neat too.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM

I got mine from a vintage bridal place in Georgia. If I decided to sell it, I'd go back there or somewhere similar I think. They fixed things up, redid beading as needed, did alterations, and all the regular bridal shop stuff, but all the gowns were older. I don't know if it would work with anything new/contemporary. Mine was originally from the late 50s I believe.

I think I'll keep it though. I wore my grandmother's gown at her 50th anniversary (when I was a young teen and fit into it! I was MUCH too tall and curvy by my own wedding). She liked "showing off" what size she used to be. I would definitely do something like that myself, or offer DD or a grandchild the ability to redo the dress as they saw fit.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#11 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My MIL made mine (the "fluffy" thing - lol) & it is very simple. I'm actually planning on turning it & the extra material from my bridesmaid's skirts into a quilt for the livingroom. It's on my to do one day list.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
My MIL made mine (the "fluffy" thing - lol) & it is very simple. I'm actually planning on turning it & the extra material from my bridesmaid's skirts into a quilt for the livingroom. It's on my to do one day list.
Ooh, I love the quilt idea! I might have to steal that!

OP, I have several friends who have bought/sold wedding gowns at bridal consignment shops and they've all had great experiences.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#13 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM

I donated one to a local thrift store and still have the other hanging in my closet (9 years after the wedding). I'm guessing I'll either repurpose that one or donate it as well.
#14 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

I am saving mine. Not because I believe that my daughters WILL want to wear it, but because I think they should have the option. I didn't get the option to refashion my mother's dress. She lost it somewhere, about 16 or 17 years ago.

I couldn't have worn her dress (she was a size 8 and I am a size 30), but there was a large enough skirt and train that I could have had something really simple with no train made from it. Or incorporated it into what I was wearing.

I wound up buying a very large, billow-y dress at David's, and DH&I had it cleaned 2 months after the wedding. There is enough polyester satin and lace to make FOUR dresses for moderate sized girls, and somehow they crammed it all into a box small enough to fit in my nightstand drawer.
#15 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine was custom made and I did a lot of the decorations myself. It wouldn't be worth much at all if I sell it as there's not even a brand/size. I've been thinking about removing the frilly stuff to make it into a simple white dress, of course I've been too lazy.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#16 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Wow, I can't even imagine selling my dress! I'm PO'd that DH insisted on renting his tux instead of buying. My parents used to go every anniversary down to the town they got married in and take a picture wearing their wedding clothes for a few years. ;-) Granted, I don't think I could wear my wedding dress even by my first anniversary (I went to three months of weekly personal training before the wedding ;-), but I like the idea of being able to put it on again for sentimental reasons.

And even though I never would have worn my mom's wedding dress for my wedding (an a-line mini with a scoop neck is so NOT 2002 ;-), I really loved that she gave it to me, and that it fit me ;-).

I *did* wear her prom dress to my prom, but it was an accident of styles that it was totally stylistically appropriate at that point. Gorgeous, too!

Heck, I'm even trying to wrap my brain around the idea of selling my rings from my first marriage. If XH and I got together and sold my engagement ring and both our wedding bands, we could probably get more than $1000 for them... they're all custom-made and a really beautiful set.
#17 of 42 Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 PM

I wore my grandmother's dress and had it "coffined." I grew up always wanting to wear it so it's also sentimental.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#18 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I am okay with keeping it for sentimental reasons.
:

I would never get rid of my wedding gown! I had it cleaned and put into a sealed keepsake box right after the wedding, and it's currently in a cabinet in our garage. My DD has been saying she wants to wear it when she gets married for the last 3 years or so. I'm not sure she actually will, though. Either way, it represents the most important day of my life. DH still has his Marine Corps dress blues too

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#19 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Heck, I'm even trying to wrap my brain around the idea of selling my rings from my first marriage. If XH and I got together and sold my engagement ring and both our wedding bands, we could probably get more than $1000 for them... they're all custom-made and a really beautiful set.
I was thinking about this, when I read this thread.
I have my wedding set from my first marriage ... I had contemplated giving it to my daughter (like when she turns 21?) .... but then I think, is it bad luck, giving it to her, since the marriage soured? Will she even wear it? Should she even wear it? I could pay off some bills if we sold it!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#20 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 AM

Another option is donating it to charity and getting a tax deduction in the process: http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/

Resistance is futile Matey
#21 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

#22 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Another option is donating it to charity and getting a tax deduction in the process: http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/
I donated my dress here.
#23 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
I was thinking about this, when I read this thread.
I have my wedding set from my first marriage ... I had contemplated giving it to my daughter (like when she turns 21?) .... but then I think, is it bad luck, giving it to her, since the marriage soured? Will she even wear it? Should she even wear it? I could pay off some bills if we sold it!!
When one of my good friend's mom and dad divorced, they melted down their rings together and made 2 new rings, one for each daughter. It meant a lot to my friend to have that piece of her parents. Even though they aren't together, their relationship was still, obviously, of great importance.

My dad's second wife gave her first set to her daughter. She doesn't wear it, I wouldn't think anyone would, but it is a treasured keepsake. I think that's a great idea.

Bad luck...? Sorry that made me laugh. Ring or no ring, it's the marriage that counts, has nothing to do with the ring.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#24 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Im planning on keeping one. It was given to me by my bishops wife. It was altered specially to make it appropriate for the temple (Im LDS, we are pretty conservative in dress). Its hard to find a dress like it so Im going to keep it for my daughter (or any other daughter we might have). If they don't want it when they get married I will find someone who is getting married and can't really afford a dress. Someone was nice enough to give me a dress which I would never have been able to afford I would like to do something similar for another person if my children dont' want it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#25 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Too sentimental to part with mine (though my current frugal self is horrified by the amount my formerly unfrugal self spent on it). Thought my SIL had a pretty neat idea - her wedding gown was cut up and fashioned into baptism/christening outfits for her son and daughter.
#26 of 42 Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 PM

Mine was just an off-the-rack silver brocade formal dress; I couldn't stand the foofy 'real' wedding dresses. And I've worn it since then for a formal dinner, and it still fits one kid later, so yeah, it's staying in case another formal comes up.

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#27 of 42 Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 AM

I can get emotional and sentimental about lots of things (baby clothes for example) but I never felt that way about my wedding dress. In fact when I got married I thought it was a waste of money to buy one so I rented one (it was very beautiful, and much nicer than I could have afforded to buy). If I did have one I would sell it in a heartbeat.
#28 of 42 Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
Mine was just an off-the-rack silver brocade formal dress; I couldn't stand the foofy 'real' wedding dresses. And I've worn it since then for a formal dinner, and it still fits one kid later, so yeah, it's staying in case another formal comes up.
My dress is a white bridesmaid dress and it's short (above the knee). I harbor fantasies of dyeing it and wearing to someone elses wedding.
#29 of 42 Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Mine was just a pretty white dress, not specifically a wedding dress. I'll never wear it again, but since it was under a $100 to begin with, I'd rather have the dress than the ten bucks I might get for it. I also still have the night gown from my wedding night.
#30 of 42 Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
I donated one to a local thrift store and still have the other hanging in my closet (9 years after the wedding). I'm guessing I'll either repurpose that one or donate it as well.

I donated mine too. I sort of wish now that I had kept it for the kid's to use for dress-up. I wasn't planning to ever wear it again (and it wouldn't fit anyhow). Hated to have it just sitting around collecting dust - so off it went. I'm not super sentimental about stuff like this, particularly things that occupy a lot of space.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page