Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tomorrow we are going on a big kid field trip
DD 10
DS 7
DD 5
Mommy

We are going via BUS to the science center.
The bus is $1.25 all day for each child (over age 5, DD 5 is free) and $2.50 all day for adults bus cost $5.00
Science center FREE with membership,1 each for grossology exhibit $4

Total expense $9

If we Drove 40 miles round trip, van gets approx 20 mpg 2 gal of gas $4/gal $8 Parking $8 discounted rate. Total cost to drive $16 min.

Bus savings $7.
If they dont want to go to grossology becuase it *may* be very busy the savings is now $11

Im excited, the kids are excited... and I DONT HAVE TO DRIVE. WE are packing lunches and lots of drinks... the bus is a direct route.... WE CAN DO THIS.

Due to the increase costs associated with driving we are going to have to take the bus more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Have fun! It sounds like a total blast!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 8 Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Ooh - that will be fun for them! Enjoy!!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#4 of 8 Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good luck.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#5 of 8 Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

THE BUS WAS GREAT... WE WILL BE DOING MANY MANY MORE TRIPS THIS WAY. SAVED AT LEAST $10 IN PARKING PLUS GAS ETC.... i am the new bus advocate
#6 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Funny you mention this. We live near the metra train line to Chicago. For us to take our girls into the city on a weekend is $10 for the entire weekend- family pass. We live 20 miles away. Factor in gas and then parking ($15-40 depending on where you park) its a great thing. We then got caught in rain one time and jumped on a bus to take us to the train station downtown. Afterwards we asked Liz what her favorite part of the day was- The train and the bus ride!!!

For our town on the 4th, the fireworks is a traffic nightmare. They had shuttle buses set up all over town. So we took the one close to us. Again, the best part of the night- going on the school bus!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm so glad to hear it worked out for you-way to go!

We just moved and live a couple blocks from a bus line. We are a one car family and I am negotiating for a job right now. Everyone assumes we will need to get a second vehicle. I am thinking we can swing it with just one because I can take the bus to and from work every day. No gas, no insurance, 15 minutes to relax instead of focus on driving. Did I mention the bus would be FREE through my work? I haven't counted up how much it would save us, but I bet it'd be a bundle. :

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Funny you mention this. We live near the metra train line to Chicago. For us to take our girls into the city on a weekend is $10 for the entire weekend- family pass. We live 20 miles away. Factor in gas and then parking ($15-40 depending on where you park) its a great thing. We then got caught in rain one time and jumped on a bus to take us to the train station downtown. Afterwards we asked Liz what her favorite part of the day was- The train and the bus ride!!!

For our town on the 4th, the fireworks is a traffic nightmare. They had shuttle buses set up all over town. So we took the one close to us. Again, the best part of the night- going on the school bus!!

Its funny what kids remember and find exciting.

And from an adult view, many times it not so much the cost of gas but the 'cost' of parking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page