SAHP's Using Public Assistance - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 412 Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I am in the process of trying to get on food stamps now. It is HARD, actually. DH is unemployeed.. has been trying to find a job for about 8 month now.. besides a few temp-like jobs maybe once a week or 2. I actually work, just 6 hrs a week, at WIC (which i am also getting back on), and I am going to school full time (federal grants).

DH's unemployment just ran out. Luckily for our family, I stocked up on food, but it won't last forever, and I am getting pretty worried.

Does anyone know if Costco accepts food stamps?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#362 of 412 Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, Lizzy! I don't know about Costco, but hope everything goes well!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#363 of 412 Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Lizzy, I just googled it, and it looks like they don't. Good luck with getting on foodstamps. Is your worker giving you a hard time? We have been on fs a few different times (including now) and it really depends on your worker how easy/hard it is. The worker we have now is cool, but the one we got when I was pg with my oldest, and applying for Medicaid and fs was a real UAV, and actually made me cry.
#364 of 412 Old 10-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
Lizzy, I just googled it, and it looks like they don't.
That's unfortunate. They could stretch so much further if they did.

A local HFS takes them though, so that's pretty cool!

#365 of 412 Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This is about my prenatal care, but I think it fits in here because I'm on pregnancy medical assistance.

In a nutshell, I think my clinic has just stopped caring about giving me decent care. And while I like my obgyn, I feel like he's let me down by not taking care of the problems.

They keep giving me scare tactics about gestational diabetes, but they don't give me any real advice. I've had two one hour tests, and now I'm being pushed to still get a three hour one. I've never been given ANY advice on how to monitor or treat this illness, if I have it, but I've sure been told multiple times how bad it could be. So yeah. I've had to go online and read up for myself, try to change my diet on my own (I still don't have a glucometer though so I don't really know if it's working but at least I feel more in control of the issue, kwim?) while they sat on my results for almost two weeks that my last test came up high.

I'm also supposed to be having fairly regular ultrasounds because my dd has a two vessel cord. I call to find out that the paperwork has never shown up. This isn't the first time this has happened either. Also, last week they called me and left a message on my machine to get info by calling them back-I did to be told there was no messages for me! Grrr.

I'm not really worried about dd. Even though she has the two vessel cord she's been striving thus far. Her heartbeat is good, she moves and kicks like a little trooper, etc. My body says everything is fine, and I trust my instincts. I just really don't like this feeling of being jerked around, and I'm losing trust that they have my best interests in mind.
#366 of 412 Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

My sugar was way high with my second dd (I didn't find out 'til I started seeing my midwife in the 7th month). And I never did those diabetes tests -- I just peed on the strips and that was it.

She said this is totally correctable, even this late. She advised me to start eating several times a day, and just make sure I ate something high in protein each time. I quit drinking juice, except I might occasionally have like one cup of orange juice after eating a full meal. Really I didn't miss it, I've always liked fresh fruit better.

I still ate my homemade iced chocolate brownies and cakes - but, again, I had like one brownie after eating a meal with something high in protein.

And my sugar stayed pretty normal for the rest of the pregnancy. I also stopped having so much protein in my urine (which was a sign of protein deficiency and can lead to toxemia). When I started eating more protein, I also lost a bunch of weight. Which would normally be a concern during pregnancy -- but my midwife was pretty sure that I'd been retaining fluids because I wasn't eating enough protein. Once I upped my protein, my body got rid of the excess fluid.

Also, increasing my protein lessened my craving for sweets!

And everything went great. Homebirth all the way!

#367 of 412 Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM

My husband and baby get food stamps and medicaid. I don't qualify because I'm a Canadian citizen. It's been really difficult because we don't really have the money to make up the difference so we're trying to budget to cover us all on what they get. We've been managing so far but the pantry is depleting rapidly.
#368 of 412 Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
My husband and baby get food stamps and medicaid. I don't qualify because I'm a Canadian citizen. It's been really difficult because we don't really have the money to make up the difference so we're trying to budget to cover us all on what they get. We've been managing so far but the pantry is depleting rapidly.
#369 of 412 Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 AM

mammal_mamas, you've given me hope! I've been really worrying my butt off over this whole thing. I've upped my protein and been watching the sugars, so hopefully little one is doing just fine.

hanno, that sucks. Are there any food banks near you? Your hubby should automatically qualify since he has aide, and that would help all of you.
#370 of 412 Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
mammal_mamas, you've given me hope! I've been really worrying my butt off over this whole thing. I've upped my protein and been watching the sugars, so hopefully little one is doing just fine.
Oh, good! I just learned so much through my midwife, which no one ever told me with my first (with whom I did the medical thing).

When is Baby due? Our midwife was totally willing to wait for payment until our tax-return came. Also, our state Medicaid doesn't cover homebirth or independent midwives -- but if yours does, you may be able to switch to an independent midwife and still be covered.

I can't remember if you were thinking about homebirth. We didn't feel comfortable doing that with our first -- but in retrospect we realize everything tends to go so much more smoothly away from the medical environment. I hope you find help that works for you!

Quote:
hanno, that sucks. Are there any food banks near you? Your hubby should automatically qualify since he has aide, and that would help all of you.
, I hope you can get some more help, too!

#371 of 412 Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM

I just found out we qualify for food stamps.. OMG what a relief!

#372 of 412 Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
:
#373 of 412 Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
oh, I'm so glad for you!

#374 of 412 Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 AM

The bubola is due December 8, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up a little early. She's already dropped, and I'm already getting regular brackton hicks.

I live in MO, and midwifery has just become legal since after my pregnancy. I am completely okay with homebirthing, but paying out of pocket would be next to impossible and travel is kinda difficult (closest midwife I've heard of is two hours away, but honestly I haven't done a ton of research either). At this point I think I'm just going to deal with the doctors and clinic the least amount possible, while maintaining health of course, and I plan on laboring at home for as long as possible. If I had a UC I wouldn't mind in the least, by my dh is afraid of the prospect so I'll probably go to the hospital for the pushing part anyway.

I know that if I have a second baby I'll be more informed and hopefully I'll be in a situation to have a midwife. If not, I know I won't be using this clinic again and looking around for a more suitable doctor for me. While I know moving wouldn't be the end all be all at this stage, it seems like it would be difficult. Luckily I've been pretty serious about sticking to a more diabetic friendly diet and now that I've taken myself away from the situation a bit (I tend to obsess) I know that I can pretty much take a lot of medical advice with a grain of salt.

Enough about me.

LizzyQ, I'm glad for your good fortune and the relief its bringing you!
#375 of 412 Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I live in MO, and midwifery has just become legal since after my pregnancy.
Really?! I'm in Missouri, too, and when I had dd2 three years ago, midwifery was only legal under a doctor, and you only heard about Medicaid covering certified nurse midwife's in hospitals or birthing centers.

Are you saying that it's now legal for independent midwives to attend homebirths in Missouri? If it is, then Medicaid should cover it. At the time of dd2's birth, the only way this could be legal was if a doctor was willing to assume total legal responsibility for everything a midwife did, wherever she happened to be -- which of course, as my midwife said, no doctor is crazy enough to do, as that's an insane amount of responsibility.

So midwives attending homebirths in Missouri, really had to go out on a limb and believe in what they were doing. And be willing to take a tremendous risk.

But, again, if it's now legal for independent midwives to attend homebirths, then that means Missouri Medicaid should cover them. I'm surprised I never heard of this new legislation, I'll have to go look it up.

#376 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm having an oh crap kind of morning so far I thought I was doing really well in all but one of my classes (math) but today is the last day to drop so I rechecked all my classes and I some how missed the fact that if I so much as miss one assignment in my psych 101 class I will fail (you only have 3 chances to earn points and I missed one of them) so I will need to drop the class unless I want a D or an F, I'd rather a W. Problem is that will drop my fin aid package by about $400 I'll still be full time but not in the eyes of the school because my last class is at another college so they won't count it That $400 is our xmas money, any extra's a need like clothes, toiletries, extra food, gas, what ever money I'm sure it will work out but right now today, things suck.

Would it be better to just keep trying and hope I get a C or if I get an F so be it but I'll end up with A's and B's in my other 3 classes at this school so my GPA will balance out. I'm just worried about what losing that $400 is going to do to us and half that money was marked to replace my desk top computer which is very old and in dire need of replacement (1.4 mhz Pentium and 512mb of ram that I can't even update and the hardware is failing along with the drives, going to replace it with something off eBay for $250-300 since I don't need software) and all my classes are online and I don't live near the school so having a working computer is a must.

Seriously?
#377 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM

@Satori, My advice from an ex-teacher and a current student is to call your professor now! See if there's anything you can do to make up the assignment or get extra credit that would keep you from failing! It won't hurt to ask, and then you can decide what to do from there. I mean, if the prof is really like, no you missed an assignment, you're going to fail, then it doesn't seem like there'd be much point but you might want to talk to your school's fin aid counselors to make sure it won't mess things up with your loan/grant. Since you've made it to the drop date, you may not be penalized money wise but the rules are different everywhere.
#378 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppence View Post
@Satori, My advice from an ex-teacher and a current student is to call your professor now! See if there's anything you can do to make up the assignment or get extra credit that would keep you from failing! It won't hurt to ask, and then you can decide what to do from there. I mean, if the prof is really like, no you missed an assignment, you're going to fail, then it doesn't seem like there'd be much point but you might want to talk to your school's fin aid counselors to make sure it won't mess things up with your loan/grant. Since you've made it to the drop date, you may not be penalized money wise but the rules are different everywhere.
Yes, I'd talk to the professor, too ... You never know what you might be able to work out if you try! Let us know how it goes!

#379 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Can i jump in here? I probably won't post all that much, but you are all inspiring.
I have a question though. I understand that fs aren't supposed to be ALL the food money for the month. But in our reality, it is. Its ALL we get. We are fortuanate to get enough to survive but not get gourmet meals. My question is, does anyone else have only the fs for food a month? If so, how do you spend it? Meaning, do you do a monthly stock up all at once and then supplement with fruit veggies etc as the month progresses or do you do weekly shopping? I'm trying to figure out if it would stretch farther if I shop the really good sales and stock up and then eat from the pantry freezer for the month, or if I should keep going weekly? Make sense?

Oh and don't forget for those of you that qualify to look into heating and electric assistance this winter

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#380 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
Can i jump in here? I probably won't post all that much, but you are all inspiring.
I have a question though. I understand that fs aren't supposed to be ALL the food money for the month. But in our reality, it is. Its ALL we get. We are fortuanate to get enough to survive but not get gourmet meals. My question is, does anyone else have only the fs for food a month? If so, how do you spend it? Meaning, do you do a monthly stock up all at once and then supplement with fruit veggies etc as the month progresses or do you do weekly shopping? I'm trying to figure out if it would stretch farther if I shop the really good sales and stock up and then eat from the pantry freezer for the month, or if I should keep going weekly? Make sense?

Oh and don't forget for those of you that qualify to look into heating and electric assistance this winter
We have to drive an hour to get to the good stores that have good prices so we go once a month and hit the sales and stock up. Then I spend about $10 a week just getting little filler stuff like an onion or a lettuce locally. Usually my fridge keeps stuff good for about 3 weeks but by that 4th week we tend to need to hit the store. (I have a large fridge and deep freezer so we have space). Anyway, what I get in FS is usually my entire food budget but I often end up spending about $20 a month in cash but they just raised our FS about $50 and will raise them another $40 when I turn in the Dr's note about the special diet we need which means higher food costs.

Seriously?
#381 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post

For us that is the case sometimes. Right now we get more thatn enough to feed all of us including dh for the month. These last few months we have kind of "played" around. By that I mean we spent when we could have been saving. Stocking up so that we didn't have to run to the store so often.

Next month, we are getting another freezer and will be stocking up on meats. We have been offered some deer meat and I can get a very good price on fresh shrimp. I missed the sale yesterday. Dh works at the sugar mill so can get as much as I want of sugar and syrup. Trying to get some mollasses this year. Hoping this works out for us.

How do you fill about using coupons with your food stamps? I have a link for organic coupon savings. It's like hot coupon world. I really don't use alot of convience foods or name brand foods. So I don't get to use a lot of coupons. I need to start using them again.

love and blessings
angie
#382 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Our food stamps are our whole food budget. For the first time since getting them, it is enough to feed us all comfortably. There have been times when it definitely wasn't enough, for one reason or another. I'm still pretty confused as to how they calculate what you get. I live in fear that we will get a small pay increase and it will tip the balance some how, and our benefits will get cut drastically.
Oh yeah, to answer your question, we shop weekly, and stock up at sales, and use coupons if we are at a store that has them. Our usual store doesn't have coupons, but has a 'club card' which gives you discounts in a similar way. I try to buy on sale as much as possible.
#383 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 PM

I do use coupons and try to do so frugally. I did a stock up on baking supplies and school lunch supplies and other things and before doubled coupons and sales my totally was 197 and I paid 111 for all of it :

Fresh produce is what is really expensive but all my kids eat and we are only eating what is in season.

I'd love hte link for the organic savings

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#384 of 412 Old 10-17-2008, 10:46 PM

satori - sorry i haven't ever posted here before, but as for your financial aid, are you 100% that your fin. aid will get cut if you drop. This summer my husband dropped a class (his only class) on the last day to drop, and since he had already gone a certain percentage of the class - i don't know like more than 1/2 maybe- then we didn't have to give back/pay back the financial aid already awarded to us...summer of course may be different which is why i ask.

If you will lose the money, talk to the professor, explain as much as you are comfortable, and see what they say. Often times they will let you make up an assignment, they just don't like to advertise it to all the students otherwise everyone would be asking for an extension. I hope everything works out for you. I completely understand about the financial aid. My husband and i are living off ours and every little penny is planned out and allotted for, if we were to lose some, it would be very hard...

Good luck s

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#385 of 412 Old 10-18-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
satori - sorry i haven't ever posted here before, but as for your financial aid, are you 100% that your fin. aid will get cut if you drop. This summer my husband dropped a class (his only class) on the last day to drop, and since he had already gone a certain percentage of the class - i don't know like more than 1/2 maybe- then we didn't have to give back/pay back the financial aid already awarded to us...summer of course may be different which is why i ask.

If you will lose the money, talk to the professor, explain as much as you are comfortable, and see what they say. Often times they will let you make up an assignment, they just don't like to advertise it to all the students otherwise everyone would be asking for an extension. I hope everything works out for you. I completely understand about the financial aid. My husband and i are living off ours and every little penny is planned out and allotted for, if we were to lose some, it would be very hard...

Good luck s
I'm quite sure, I wont have to pay any back but they break up our payments into a couple payments though out the semester and there prorated based on how many units you are enrolled in at the time the checked are disbursed. My PELL grant is disbursed in 2 payments, I already received one and the next won't be disbursed until Nov 7 and the last day to drop with a W is today. I don't know what to do, today was the midterm for that class and I failed it. Its not even graded yet but on the study guide the teacher said we would have 1.5 hours to take it. I arrianged childcare so I could work quickly without distraction. It turned out to be 25 multiple choice questions which I'm sure I did fine on even though it went slowly (who would have thought psychology could be so complex!?), 10 of them turned out to be multiple part essay questions that would have taken me 30 minutes EACH to answer, I can not quickly do essays, especially when typing. I am a very slow typist and need time to formulate my thoughts when typing (I write faster then I type) vs writing for some reason. The essays were worth 100 pts while the multiple choice were only worth 50. I didn't even finish the first essay question before I ran out of time Plus something else that's frustrating, once you opened the test it informs you that you have 2 HOURS to complete the test, well I didn't have 2 hours of childcare and could not be late so I had to stop the test at 1.5 hours I am feeling really frustrated with the class, myself and my teacher. Every other class it seems is rather balanced so even if you blow all the tests you have a chance of passing with a C from doing other assignments and stuff. Not so with this teacher. Makes me feel slightly better that so far the class average for the test is only 79% so lots of people did badly... (we've had a few days to do the test but once you opened it you had to complete it and I couldn't get a sitter until today, anyway so all the tests that were completed by last night have already been scored and that was the average) to me a C avergae says the test is to hard or a bad teacher. I would say its BOTH. Can you believe she has not lectured ONCE? Each week you answer 2-3 questions on the bulletin board which require no real thought or understanding of the subject matter, read the chapter then the 3 chances at grades. Opps, sorry, 4, 2 papers, midterm and final. Not even so much as an email saying "hey class! welcome to week 9! this week were studying xyz!"

Seriously?
#386 of 412 Old 10-18-2008, 01:25 AM

My food stamps is my budget for the most part. Of course I also get WIC. Very little comes out of other monies for food, thankfully. It really depends on the month and what kind of deals we've found.

For my hubby and I (dd will be born in Dec but be breastfed so she won't factor in much with our budget for now) we do a major stockup on the day we receive stamps. Then throughout the month we may do a little shopping here and there for things we've run low on, but mostly this is for things like produce that we can't buy a huge lot of and not expect to go bad at all in a month. We shop at local scratch and dent stores to keep our costs down...it's amazing the deals you can find! We also shop at places like Aldi and Big Lots (both of which do take EBT) and of course scour for clearance/sales at our local stores and read the ads.
#387 of 412 Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 AM

I have always tried to make my food stamps last the whole month. When I used to buy almost everything at the beginning of the month and try to make it last, this was very hard. I would have $20-40 left to buy anything that I ran out of, but the end of the month I had to be very creative with meals. Then I started shopping weekly and splitting my FS into fourths. I would make a menu and spend only what I allotted. When I first started doing this, I only had $40-50 a week to spend on the three of us so I was still doing creative menus. It has increased a couple times due to certain issues. But with this new raise that we got, I now have $96 to spend a week. I feel rich and will be stocking up so that we don't have just one week's worth of food for a just in case situation. Oh, and a tip I was getting Angel Food which helped out with what I was spending. They accept FS and you get a whole bunch of food for $30. It is not the type of stuff that I usually buy. It tends to have more convenience type of foods, but it was helping me stay on budget. Their website is something like www.angelfoodministries.com

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#388 of 412 Old 10-20-2008, 04:48 AM

How do you feel about making big purchases while on government assistance? I'm not talking about running out and shopping to your hearts content any old day of the week, but more splurging on one time purchases you know you'll use a long time? For example, in February my husband and I will get a decent tax return since the baby will be here, and ontop of that we will get his financial aide check. Now, MOST of that is going straight into savings and towards paying our bills. But we're thinking of getting a new tv and computer, and perhaps some more cds or such for dd. I don't feel bad because my bills will be paid, we'll be getting life insurance and starting a savings account for our daughter first, and our computer and tv are both on the way out. But I know a lot of people would say that if we can afford these luxuries and even not so luxuries (life insurance, account for daughter), we don't need food stamps or medical assistance. Well, hubby won't be eligible to put dd on a plan yet and we really wouldn't have the extra money for anything if we didn't have the little aid we do. But I was wondering if others would stop themselves from making a large purchase that they otherwise would if they weren't recieiving aid.
#389 of 412 Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
How do you feel about making big purchases while on government assistance? I'm not talking about running out and shopping to your hearts content any old day of the week, but more splurging on one time purchases you know you'll use a long time? For example, in February my husband and I will get a decent tax return since the baby will be here, and ontop of that we will get his financial aide check. Now, MOST of that is going straight into savings and towards paying our bills. But we're thinking of getting a new tv and computer, and perhaps some more cds or such for dd. I don't feel bad because my bills will be paid, we'll be getting life insurance and starting a savings account for our daughter first, and our computer and tv are both on the way out. But I know a lot of people would say that if we can afford these luxuries and even not so luxuries (life insurance, account for daughter), we don't need food stamps or medical assistance. Well, hubby won't be eligible to put dd on a plan yet and we really wouldn't have the extra money for anything if we didn't have the little aid we do. But I was wondering if others would stop themselves from making a large purchase that they otherwise would if they weren't recieiving aid.
It wouldn't make a difference to me either way but I still wouldn't go hog wild. Next month I am replacing my computer with a newer one I'll get from ebay for $400 or less using my school money. That doesn't bother me so much, now if I went and paid over $1000 at the store? Then yeah, that might bug me but more so becasue I know I can get the same for less then half on ebay. As for the TV? Sorry, that's a want, not a need and that I would have a problem with. For me the computer is needed for school for me and dd and I use it to watch TV on for free online so we don't need a TV. I would try freecycle for the TV.

I've become more that penny pincher who has learned that money spent today on stuff we don't need WILL bite me in the ass down the road and make me regret the purchase so I save myself some grief.

Seriously?
#390 of 412 Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It is YOUR tax return, your business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page