SAHP's Using Public Assistance - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 412 Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have made some big purchases with our fin aid/tax return. Last year we bought a laptop.It is necessary for school, but i felt a lot of people were judging us (in our families) but yk, we needed it. Dh wants to buy a tv this year. I don't think i'm comfortable with that.
Whatever you do with your money is your business.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#392 of 412 Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
Whatever you do with your money is your business.
Yes, this.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#393 of 412 Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Well, I have to say that what you do with your money is your business. Over the summer I lost my job. I got my tax return in August. I paid some past due bills and bought a car. We needed the car so that dh could go back to work. There is few jobs in this town. You have to commute Baton Rouge if you want a decent job. Next year we will put the money in the bank.

love and blessings
angie
#394 of 412 Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM

Hey all!!!

Just wanted to check in, I don't have the brains to read up on the thread right now, though.

We went to the hospital on Thursday, 10/9 to have my water broken and try to have a baby. Milo Wallace was born at 6:15 pm on Friday evening. He weighed 8 lbs, 12.7 ozs, and was 20.5 inches long! He's a perfect tiny peanut (compared to DS1 anyway! ) and he sleeps!

Two days after we came home, we got our Medicaid approval!!! ::

So now, I'm just babymooning, and getting all the medical bills/paperwork taken care of!

I'll catch up soon. . .

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#395 of 412 Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

CONGRATULATIONS, HEIDIRK! :::

#396 of 412 Old 10-31-2008, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How is everyone doing? I learned something new, since both my kids are on medically needed diets for celiac, food allergies and metabolic issues we qualify for a special stipend from welfare. I've always known about it but never bothered with it cause they said it was like $6 a month which was not worth the hassle. Well with everything getting so tight that $6 can make or break lunch that week yk? So I got the letter from the Dr stating why they needed a special diet and got the notices from welfare today, they dropped my FS by $6 but they increased the cash aid by $24! To me this is awesome becasue some of the stuff we need has to come from a health food store that doesn't take FS and that extra $18 just about covers what we spend

Seriously?
#397 of 412 Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
While I feel the need to replace my tv, I do agree it's a "want". I think my question was more about should I spend money on myself more than anything else, kwim, and I'm glad I'm not a horrible leach for thinking it's okay to do so, lol.

I'm considering dropping WIC. I need to look and see if my budget can really afford the loss first. I feel as if half of the food I get through WIC I can easily get through a more earth friendly means for fairly cheaply. For example, a lot of times I can get all natural peanut butter for very cheap since I go to the scratch and dent store. I can get local eggs for pretty cheap as well. I try not to drink a lot of the juice provided because it's so high in sugar but hubby does drink it and I can use it to make jellies with at least. The biggest help is the milk and cheese, and we do eat the cereal which is fairly healthy fare in my area. I don't think I could afford to go to all organic milk now anyway, so the milk on WIC would be what I'd buy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll start giving the eggs and peanut butter to my mother (she doesn't buy free range anyway, unfortunately) or to someone else I know would need it. At least until I'm sure that I won't miss the milk, eggs, and cereal?
#398 of 412 Old 11-02-2008, 11:12 PM

our fs are about half of our food budget i guess.......we always seem to end up running out before the month is up, but we have a pretty good stash of edibles in the pantry and hubby cooks partly from scratch (with a few cheats) we end up spending more cash money later in the month but its partly want rather than true need.....a lot of our food luxuries are things like good cuts of meat, imported cheeses, fresh fruit things i can't buy in bulk at the beginning of the month
#399 of 412 Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 AM

hi everyone, i'm relieved to find this thread as i've often been feeling sort of 'out' on some of the forums when it seems everyone's partner earns a good salary and people can afford to buy their own houses, have cars etc. We have been on benefits for a few months ever since my maternity pay dropped to the lower rate and then ended. I feel a lot of shame and guilt about it so it's reassuring to read some of the comments on here! (not that i've had time to read it all!) I grew up in a country where virtually NO welfare is available, only very minimal amounts for the very poorest which we would not qualify for, and there was a big stigma attached to it. also a country with a very strong work ethic. so when i moved to the u.k., i felt scorn for a lot of people on benefits- boy have i had to eat humble pie!

i also can't afford to work, would have to pay all my wages on childcare and taxes, and besides i dont believe, as others have said, in having children only to hand them over to someone else to raise.

We are really struggling right now now that the utility bills have all doubld and our rent has increased and no benefits have increased apace - in fact one has drastically DECREASED because our DS is n ow over a year old (like that means you need any less money - more in fact!) But I still dont see going to work as feasible.

i like what PP's have said about the cycle of life. I have paid many taxes and no doubt will again, and Dp pays taxes too, so i really shouldnt feel guilty. its hard to shake though.
#400 of 412 Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaya View Post
i like what PP's have said about the cycle of life. I have paid many taxes and no doubt will again, and Dp pays taxes too, so i really shouldnt feel guilty. its hard to shake though.
It sounds like you're in the right place for getting past the guilt!

I used to be very judging, too -- so I see it as a real positive that I'm now getting to see things from another point of view.

#401 of 412 Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Can I just say that I am very confused? One month after we get approved for medicaid, I get three things in the mail, 1. an access card for Milo, 2. a letter saying that Henry's coverage has been dropped due to him now being over 2 years old (he was already 2 when I apllied!??) and 3. a letter saying I am not eligible due to income from my original application.

????????

Nothing has changed. I have to call the caseworker, but geez, like I need ONE MORE THING!!!!!

DH may be getting a second job, though, one that carries insurance from 30 days, instead of 6 mos. I can't say how much I already miss him being around though, because he's already gone about 11 hours, and not making anough $$ as is. He'll be gone a few less hours weekdays, if he does this, but he'll be working 7 days a week, and he'll be gone 13 hours FRi, Sat. and Sun. in addition. I feel like a single mom.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#402 of 412 Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

#403 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM

well, it took a long time, but I've read through all the pages. I'm another one of those 'pregnant with a couple young kids and on welfare divorced/single moms'. lol I've been getting some form of assistance for about a year now, would have made things a lot easier if I had had help back 3-4 years ago, but oh well.

It has been like pulling teeth this past year trying to find out about programs to help me out. Ever since I left my ex I have been struggling to pay rent on a two bedroom apartment. My office of family support workers told me that the section 8 housings were all full and they weren't even taking names on a list. So I've been working so hard and going without and dealing with anxiety and stress related illnesses while having my babies in daycare and them getting VERY sick every 2 weeks(literally!)

I just found out a month ago when I attended the "job readiness course" for TANF, that there has been a section 8 list the whole time!!! And I had just signed another one year lease 3 days before the class! So, all the stress and desperation of trying to cough up nearly $700 a month for a small apartment for well over a year, when I might have been able to get help... it is frustrating to say the least.

I have just learned about lifeline for the phone and the energy assistance program is still one that is completely evading my grasp. I have been threatened with disconnect at least 5 times this year and actually disconnected once during the hottest day of the year this summer doubled over with morning sickness no less and 2 screaming toddlers. My bills were $160 to $185 per MONTH when we used the air conditioner *at all*... I cannot believe it legitimately costs so much in a 900 sq ft apartment and being as frugal within reason with the electric.

It isn't like I haven't been trying.... I feel so exhausted from my efforts that in the end seem to have gotten me nowhere. I was fired from a good job this past May for missing work due to sick children right around when on top of everything else I found out I was expecting baby #3. I got very sick and just ate up all my hard earned savings to pay this money pit of a $700 apartment while unemployed.... I applied for welfare this summer but when they told me I would get a sum total of $240 per month plus be expected to attend class with my kids in daycare 5 days a week. I laughed and cried myself out of there. It sounded so absurd to me.

So I have no money... I was on my way to a shelter in September because the money was all gone, but the guy I have been seeing bailed me out.... also for October. Then in October I had to start putting the kids in daycare again, and they got sick again right away.. found a decent job and was feeling so hopeful ... and they loved me there and said they were definately going to hire me on permanantly...till it came out I was 4 months pregnant at the time, and they fired me through the temp agency within a few days. Where is the bitter laughing smiley? Even the temp lady told me she would be willing to *see about* finding me a temp slot *as long as* I wasn't SHOWING. WTF -- we're talking low stress office job, light filing and basically just answering phones and e-mail.... why does the pregnancy have to be an issue? I had no complaints about it none... they found out because I needed to leave a few minutes early one day to make my monthly appointment, and I didn't think I'd be fired for being honest.

I am waiting to hear back from unemployment, but am not sure how it will go since I had received warnings about my absences(which were ALL due to very ill[pneumonia!] children w/doc notes).... but got my fingers crossed.

Till then... I don't know what I'm going to do... my children do not do well in daycare, I honestly think it has more to do with anxiety than with actual germs. I have always been the same way -- stress makes me come down with whatever bug is going around. As long as they are with me even going to germy play grounds and grocery stores, they virtually never get sick.

We get food stamps and WIC which are lifesavers right now, I make a lot of things from scratch and try to buy as healthy as possible.... hard with these pregnancy cravings though.

Oh and my family looks down on me for my situation... my parents brag about qualifying for $200 worth of food stamps back in 1980 but not taking them. As a child I recall them verbally bashing welfare recipients... for buying *steak*(omg!) with food stamps. Like what since we're struggling we should all be living off of white bread and water???

I don't feel bad about it at all... this is what the programs are here for -- to help people who need it... my parents seem to think one should sooner put their kids up for adoption than collect any kind of state/government assistance.

Sorry so long, guess I just had a lot to say after reading so many pages. Thanks for starting this topic!
#404 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM

You can't be fired for being pregnant, that's discrimination. Your temp agency should be able to find you some contract work. Have you tried craigslist?

I'm 5 months and on unemployment. For my field, there is plenty of full time work available but no one wants to hire me and then have me leave in a couple of months. I'm researching what aid is available to us but I'm worried that my unemployment amount is too high and we won't end up qualifying for anything.
#405 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post

You can't be fired for being pregnant, that's discrimination. Your temp agency should be able to find you some contract work. Have you tried craigslist?

I'm 5 months and on unemployment. For my field, there is plenty of full time work available but no one wants to hire me and then have me leave in a couple of months. I'm researching what aid is available to us but I'm worried that my unemployment amount is too high and we won't end up qualifying for anything.
no, I haven't tried craigslist. My kids came down with hacking chest coughs a couple days after I lost the job, so I've been preoccupied with taking care of them... and oh, trying not to be too horribly depressed about everything.

Well, the temp lady hasn't called and specifically stated she could only find me something as long as I am not showing. Maybe that is illegal I'm not even sure, but what can I really do. The job was still temp even though they stated they wanted me perm... so they didn't need any reason to get rid of me, so really nothing I can do there either.

I'm going to look into getting SSI for my medical conditions... but I'm on good ole medicaid and have been waiting on a referral for over a month now with no word.
#406 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post

When your a temp its just a matter of them picking up the phone and saying there's "not enough work" to fire you. I remember one time I was working at one place through a temp agency and they loved me but I took 2 days off (don't even remember why) and was canned for it and the temp agency told me the same thing, they'd try to find another spot for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantine View Post
no, I haven't tried craigslist. My kids came down with hacking chest coughs a couple days after I lost the job, so I've been preoccupied with taking care of them... and oh, trying not to be too horribly depressed about everything.
Did you know you don't have to put them in a center for daycare? You can put them in a small home daycare or even with a single individual and the state will pay that person to watch the kids. I've only used center care once, I've always used a private individual since my kids can't be in groups of kids. No Dr's note needed, its your choice of who watches your children, not the states. At least that's how it is in CA.

Seriously?
#407 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

Did you know you don't have to put them in a center for daycare? You can put them in a small home daycare or even with a single individual and the state will pay that person to watch the kids. I've only used center care once, I've always used a private individual since my kids can't be in groups of kids. No Dr's note needed, its your choice of who watches your children, not the states. At least that's how it is in CA.
You know, I've thought about this, but I don't know of anyone... I did ask my parents if they could ask at their church or if they knew of anyone since they've lived here for 8+ years, but they don't know of anyone either. I feel wary about just contacting someone advertising themselves online, all sorts of things can go on in someone's private home and my kids aren't really very verbal yet. Not that the center is ideal either, in fact, once I put them in there even for one day, within a week it seems someone is sick. I wish I actually knew someone who could do this... or wouldn't it be great if they could just pay me to be their childcare provider?? lol but that will never fly. How did you find your home provider?
#408 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantine View Post
You know, I've thought about this, but I don't know of anyone... I did ask my parents if they could ask at their church or if they knew of anyone since they've lived here for 8+ years, but they don't know of anyone either. I feel wary about just contacting someone advertising themselves online, all sorts of things can go on in someone's private home and my kids aren't really very verbal yet. Not that the center is ideal either, in fact, once I put them in there even for one day, within a week it seems someone is sick. I wish I actually knew someone who could do this... or wouldn't it be great if they could just pay me to be their childcare provider?? lol but that will never fly. How did you find your home provider?
I ran an ad in the paper. Yes things can happen but you can also find some really wonderful people that way too. It sounds like center care is not working for your children or you. Follow your gut when interviewing people, you can have them come to your home or take your children to them as well.

Seriously?
#409 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Big big hug to elephantine! I hope you get a breakthrough soon! Several years ago, I actually did in-home childcare for a mom and was paid for it by the state.

Just wanted to let you guys know I started a new thread titled "Fall/Winter SAHP's Using Public Assistance-Support Only" thread in this forum ... I don't know what the link is until someone posts and it shows up in my inbox! But I'll post the link here as soon as that happens.

I just figured that after so many pages, it's probably hard for newbies to read through it all! But kudos to all of you who just recently did that!

#410 of 412 Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM

#411 of 412 Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Satori!

#412 of 412 Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 PM

whatever you do with your money is TOTALLY your own business.

...and as far as SAHP using PA, if you & yours need it then use it. This is what it is there for. There should be MORE assistance out there that includes more people...but thats a whole nother story

2004 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page