What single serving/small batch stuff do you have in your freezer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always get the best ideas from y'all so i was wondering what are some things you make that you put into single servings or small batches and put in your freezer.

I make a big batch of broth and then divide it into smaller containers like 2 cup portions for when recipes call for it

Pizza dough

Homemade salsa gets put into mason jars and pulled out as need be.

Bisquits

meatballs

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 PM

pizza sauce
red sauce
bananas for smoothies or banana bread
chopped veggies (celery, green peppers, roasted red peppers, etc)
berries for smoothies or sauces
chicken bones for stock
chicken stock
stale bread ends for bread crumbs
a few bags of cranberries I buy in november. I save them for cranberry sauce for passover and I also usually put a handful in my stuffed cabbage recipe
masago for roll your own sushi night
when I bake bread or challah I bake extra and freeze it. I freeze it already baked. I've tried doing the dough but it does not thaw well for me

I also have full meals but since we are totally broke till payday they will all be eaten this week:
a sausage and cabbage dish
stuffed green peppers
spagetti with meat sauce (and I have a lb of frozen ground beef that will become more meatballs for that)
a batch of pancakes that I had made double

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

How small of serving size do you freeze your pizza sauce and pasta sauce in? I usually do pasta sauce as a big batch because i use it in full next time. Of course if I tripled or so the batch then I guess I would freeze it in smaller quantities to use.

I also freeze overripe bananas for banana bread. I never thought of using them in a smootie, but that makes perfect sense. (I don't make smooties yet, but plan on getting a blender so I can soon)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 PM

the pizza sauce I divide my recipe in thirds after I make it because that's how much I put on a pizza. I'm not sure how much it is but I use 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of paste, 1 T olive oil, 1 t sugar & 1 t pizza seasoning.

the red sauce I think I use about a pint at a meal...

I just freeze in leftover jars and try to use it all up when I take it out

Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Burritoes

Muffins

Pancakes (I put them all in the same bag, but they're frozen into individual portions on a sheet before I throw them in)

Not exactly on topic, but, I also throw the ends of bread (no one likes them here) or bread about to turn into the freezer, and when I have 6 or so slices, I make them into bread crumbs....
Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 PM

waffles, muffins, chicken divided into serving sizes

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 PM

oh two more things I don't have in there now but I have done in the past courtesy of the very awesome "feed the freezer thread"

mashed potatoes scooped with an ice cream scoop and frozen like that and then just grab the amount I want. instant side dish.

lasagna rollups and then just grab the amount I want, thaw, cover with sauce & cheese & bake. instant dinner.

also I forgot I have veggie purees to use in cooking - ala deceptively delicious

Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 PM

oh duh - I also usually have meat, chicken, and fish frozen in amounts appropriate for my family

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, waffles and pancakes. I don't do pancakes often, but I do waffles. I'll have to mix things up a bit.

I totally been meaning to try burritos!

I guess I don't bake enough muffins to put in the freezer. I'll have to do that one too.

See I knew I could count on y'all to get me going! :

Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 AM

I have a food saver, so I portion out much of what's in my freezer. This is what I currently have, all homemade.

- cooked ground beef in 1/2 c. portions
- grilled chicken, sliced or chopped in 1/2 c. portions
- homemade chicken nuggets, sauteed, then IQF, then bagged
- cubed ham in 1/2 c. portions for ham and beans soup
- diced peppers from the garden
- whole tomatoes from the garden
- ice cube tray portions of pesto
- sundried tomatoes in 1/4 c. portions (from the huge bag I buy at Costco)
- pine nuts in 1/8 c. portions (from the huge bag I buy at Costco)
- IQF ice cubes of whole milk and whipping cream for sauces, then bagged
- burritos (not in the food saver bags, wrapped in foil and in a zip top bag so I can toss them into the toaster oven)
- Armenian pizza (called Lahmacun, with ground lamb, pepper paste, veggies)
- Cooked lasagne (once it cools, I cut into squares, IQF and food save portions)
- Cooked Turkey Tetrazini (same as above)
- waffles, french toast, pancakes , all ww and IQF, then bagged
- homemade sausage patties (not the sausage homemade, get that from a friend that raises hogs, but I make up the patties, cook them, then IQF)
- portions of self-shredded cheeses
- par baked homemade yeast rolls
- carmelized onion & feta cheese puff pastry hors d' oeuvres
- bacon & parmesan pinwheel hors d' oeuvers
- ham puff hors d' oeuvres

I love my 2 deep freezes... they save me so much time!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Velohic-that is IMPRESSIVE!!
I would really like to figure out how to do more meat in this way. I have a 1/4 of a cow in my freezer and I should cook a bunch of the ground beef up and put it into single serving or meal serving sizes.

Um, what is IQF and how do you do it please?

I also think taking things like lasagna and putting into single servings is great b/c that would make great lunch ideas for me.

I also have another question to everyone. How do you freeze your bell peppers? I tried this once and when I defrosted them they were soggy and limp and gross. I hesitate to do stuffed bell peppers for this reason. Is there something I missed about freezing them? TIA

Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Velohic-that is IMPRESSIVE!!
I would really like to figure out how to do more meat in this way. I have a 1/4 of a cow in my freezer and I should cook a bunch of the ground beef up and put it into single serving or meal serving sizes.

Um, what is IQF and how do you do it please?

I also think taking things like lasagna and putting into single servings is great b/c that would make great lunch ideas for me.

I also have another question to everyone. How do you freeze your bell peppers? I tried this once and when I defrosted them they were soggy and limp and gross. I hesitate to do stuffed bell peppers for this reason. Is there something I missed about freezing them? TIA
I get beef by the side and have done exactly that. I just got another 50lbs. of ground beef on Friday.

IQF is "Individual Quick Freeze". That is, you freeze on a try in single serve portions, then once frozen, put it all together. It's so everything doesn't freeze into one big blob.

Bell peppers I only freeze to use in cooking recipes. The actual cell structure of any food with high water content is damaged when frozen, so it becomes soggy (celery, watermelon, cantaloupe, peppers, lettuces, etc.).

(Another thing I remembered that I keep in the freezer which is a huge time saver is enchilada sauce. I make up a huge batch and freeze in cup portions.)
Old 07-28-2008, 12:56 AM

Like others, I freeze bread ends. I keep a gallon-size freezer bag in the freezer and I throw all the bread ends in there. Occasionally I'll pull out the food processor and grate the frozen bread (still frozen) into crumbs, which I store in another bag in the freezer. I use a lot of bread crumbs to top casseroles - my family seems to like the crunch of them.

I also keep another gallon-size bag in the freezer with bread cubes in it. If a bread is in danger of getting moldy, I'll cube it and throw it in there. Then I'll make some sort of savory bread pudding out of it.

When I need bell pepper, but not all of one, I'll chop the rest and freeze it if I don't have plans to use it in the next couple of days.

I often have grated cheese in the freezer ready to go - this is always from when I grate it and then decide I don't need quite as much as I grated.

Pizza sauce

Pureed tomatoes

Tomato paste in little blobs (I spread them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze in blobs of a tablespoon or two, and then dump them all in a freezer bag) - I love this because I rarely need a full can, and this way I always have some ready to go and none ever goes to waste.

Corn - when corn on the cob is cheap, we'll sometimes get a bunch. I cut it off the cob and freeze in about 1-cup amounts. I'll also cut it off of uneaten but cooked cobs and freeze that too. It's nice to pull out fresh corn in the winter - and it tastes so much better than purchased frozen corn.

Ginger root - this keeps forever in the freezer in a little bag. I just grate it (frozen) into whatever I need. It grates super-easily when frozen, and that way I'm not stuck with a ginger root rotting in the fridge but we can still have fresh ginger.

Leftovers - I try to use up leftovers for lunches and dinners, but there are always a few that don't get eaten. I try to freeze those so they don't get bad, and we can have them when we need them.

Muffins - Lately instead of making a big quick bread in a regular loaf pan, I make a mini loaf and some mini muffins. The mini loaf gets eaten up while it's fresh and the muffins get frozen for use in lunches for school.

Pancakes and waffles - whatever's leftover.

Overripe bananas - usually I peel them and throw them in a ziploc to use for banana bread or smoothies.

Yogurt before it's goes bad...great for use in quick breads

I LOVE flminivanmama's mashed potato idea!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 AM

And BEANS! I try to use only dry beans, so when I soak and cook them (crock pot!), I make a bunch and freeze them in 1 or 2 cup amounts in bags. Then I'm not tempted to buy and use canned beans.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 AM

I have indiv. portions of split pea with ham soup and bisquits frozen right now. I also have frozen over-ripe bannas that I pull out individually for smoothies as needed. Home made yogurt pops for the kids in single servings.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
I LOVE flminivanmama's mashed potato idea!
I wish I could claim credit! it's from that big giant "feed the freezer" thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM

FLminivanmama,

When you make your pizza sauce, do you use the small can of tomato sauce- about 8 oz, or the larger can. I'm going to try that, I love pizza!

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM

small size of both cans

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Individual portions? Well lately I have summer squash and zucchini out the wazoo from the garden. So I've got shredded 1 cup and 2 cup portions in the freezer.

And my girlfriend keeps bringing sausage from a specialty maker whenever we have a BBQ. Problem is she buys it 5 lbs at a time and there are only three adults eating. We just break a link off and defrost when we need to.

User Tag List