**August No Spend Challenge** - We are in the home stretch...you can do it!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
August is almost here!! For some of us that means cooler weather and clothes shopping or holiday shopping or more indoor time (which can mean shopping). Get on board and let's save some $$ this season!

For those of us that are planning ahead, let's get started! Join in any time!

This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be August 1st

The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

Good luck Ladies!! Keep that money in your wallet.

Our no-spend threads tend to get very long...you don't need to read the entire thread (unless you want to). Just read the first few entries and jump right in. Start recording your spending today!

Crunchy *VT* Mom's Tips for doing a no-spend challenge...

*Some of us record every penny that we spend, others only record unnecessary purchases. Groceries, utilities, clothing, transportation...we expect you to spend money on that. The "no-spend" in our title refers to unnecessary spending...things you could do without.

*Record whatever will cause you to spend the least. If you feel guilty about coming on here and fessing up -- then this thread is working perfectly.

*Please don't get discouraged if you spend -- our goal is PROGRESS not PERFECTION. We all will spend this month...let's admit that up front...Our ideal is no-spend...but we'll be happy if you just spend less.

*If you have time to read everyone else's post and do personals, thank you! That helps our thread do its job...but if you don't have time, then just post your tallies. We have plenty of successful no-spenders who do only that.

You clicked on our thread and are thinking about joining for a reason...those reasons are what are going to motivate you during the tough, tempted-to-spend times this month.

Please give yourself some time to think about these questions and answer them in a way that is meaningful for you. These questions are to help you clarify why you are here and why you are doing this.

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August.

2. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

3. Be specific! What are your goals? How many no spend days is right for you? Do you have a savings goal? Debt repayment goal?

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#2 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Hello, all! I am going to join you in August (and through the end of the year at least for accountability and to make NOT spending a habit) to help build our savings so we can buy a home in 2009. My husband is not working overtime right now (he has been for a year and we are just too "used" to that money. We don't want to depend on it. It should be gravy, not the meal. I want to get used to living on less and using less.

GAME PLAN:
I have a budget! I have always had one, but I plan on staying very close to it.

I vow:
1. No eating out in August.
2. No buying anything other than groceries (and remaining school supplies - I already bought most from pre-school staring sales at pennies on the dollar).
3. I will only do "free activities with the kids, and pack lunches for those activities. I will make sure to get us all out of the house for 3 activities a week, work permitting.

I plan on doing a solid month of cold-turkey-not-spending so that I will have an additional $1000 in savings per month, and give us a nice down payment in June 2009 (plus hubby has VA status so we should be in a good place). This will put us at about $5K in savings by the end of August - or more (Sorry if that is to much information).

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
#3 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Ok, I'm game. I'm Sarah, a working, student mama. My job is limited term and ends in November. I need to save enough $$ in order to keep ds in daycare part time after November so that I can finish writing my dissertation. So far, I have fallen very short of my savings goals.

I really need to crack down on my spending this month. I have a number of big expenses coming up. My son's 2nd birthday party is this Saturday - I still have some food & misc. decorations to buy. Then I have to pay for my graduate credit hours on August 7th. The day after that we go on vacation for five days, so there is more $$! So it is imperative that I keep unnecessary spending to a minimum.

Lately, all our disposable income has gone into the house, which is good, but also very bad. So I need to limit house expenses to $200 or less this month (we have one last project to finish up - glass blocking the basement windows - and most of the supplies are already purchased). My other goal is limit eating out to twice this month and under $20/meal (other than on vacation). I would also like to put at least $500 in savings each month - to give me $2000 by the end of November.
#4 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August.

Hi there. I am Kristi. This will be my second month participating in the no-spend challenge. Last month was a real eye opener for me. I had some no spend days but my spend days were really high. We are in quite a lot of debt. DH was injured 2 summers ago and we are still diggin out of the credit card debt from him being out of work. Luckily, he is back to work and doing well. My job is to figure it all out and pay down the debt.

2. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?Well...my plan is to only spend my Fred Meyer Gift cards ($660) on food and household goods for the month except for the eggs we buy from the c.s.a. I have some things in the freezer and some things in the pantry to work with. We also belong to a great c.s.a. I would love for the c.s.a. to be our only source of veggies but tomatoes aren't in season so I have been buying them. I HAVE to drive to town to pick up the c.s.a. box once a week. This is our deemed shopping and errand running day. I need to stick to this. When dh is home, we do drive to the river to enjoy. He is gone for 2 weeks at a time so we have a 'weekend' every two weeks. We NEED to enjoy it because he works so hard and we do too. My plan is to stay within budget. I do have about $200 worth of school clothes to buy for my girls. I have been putting it off but they need to be bought.

3. Be specific! What are your goals? How many no spend days is right for you? Do you have a savings goal? Debt repayment goal?

For August my goal is to stay within budget. I am also focused on padding our savings for the winter and paying down credit card debt. I would like to put $2000 into savings and pay down $3460 in credit card debt this month. That is 4 different cards. I would also like for the gas in my van to last until the end of August. I do not know if that is possible though. 22 no drive days is my goal.
Our family is on a 3 year plan. By the end of next year we will be debt free and able to save. We want to either buy a house here or move and buy a house. We have to be very specific with spending to accomplish this but I really NEED this freedom.
#5 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm in

1. My name is Prudence and I'm paying off credit card debt from a few years ago when I was...oh, let's say...not so frugal.

Also I want to change my attitude about money. I want to really ~~think~~ about every purchase so that I'm sure that our pennies are going where we want them to go. I want to make long range goals and reach them, not fritter our money away on things that I'm bored with six months later.

2. My game plan: Post on here every day. Keep track of all my spending in a little notebook I carry in my purse. Keep the kids active outside doing things instead of shopping.

3. 20 no spend days is usually what I aim for. I'm always trying to beat my previous records. This challenge helps me a lot!

My previous months:

May 2007 = 19 no-spend days with $265 in unecessary spending
June = 19 /$394
July = 15 /$580
August = 19 /$451
September = 22 /$103
October = 20 /$203
November = 19 /$456
December = Fell off the wagon
January = 20 /$216
February = 21 /$190
March = 24 /$189
April = 19 /$402
May 2008 = 22 /$206
June = 27 /$23
July = 20 /$274

#6 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm Rachael, full time working mom to student DH and 1.5 yr DS. We are trying to pay off our credit card debt AND this month save extra money for our anniversary trip to NYC! Also, we would really like to be debit card free and use cash only.

2. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

This month is all about cash and saying no. There are a lot of things we can say no to, we just don't because we "want" to do things. This month is about being content with the many, many things we are already blessed with. So -

-We are putting away the debit card
-We are letting friends know about our trip intentions as our reason for saying no, we hope that honesty being the best policy will help.
-We are talking about contentment as a family. What it means to be content and how to be happy with what we have since we have more than most of the world.

-25/31 No Spend days (this is HUGE, I know)
-Put "extra" money toward NYC trip instead of additional debt payment just for this month

Total Overspend: $0
No Spend Days: 0/20
30 minutes/day on business 0/15

ETA:After talking to DH about all this we have both agreed to a financial fast until our trip. If something is already on the calendar or if it is a bill (groceries, rent, etc.) we will spend. Outside of those things we are going to be spend free. I am excited about doing this with DH. I can see 3 spend days on the calendar as of right now. Wish us luck!

Past Performance

Total Overspend: $170.05
No Spend Days: 18/20
Extra Debt Payment: $15/$400
30 minutes/day on business 9/20

June
Total Overspend: $549.61
No Spend Days - 11/20
Extra Debt Payment $200/$400

May
Total Overspend - $323.01
Total No Spend Days - 19/15
Pay and Extra $400 toward debt - $1,176.27 / $400

April
Total Overspending $700.00
Total no spend days - 13/30

March
Total overspending $478.33
Total no spend days - 20/31

February
Total overspending $666.45

#7 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. I'm Jill, SAHM to 2 boys ages 5 and 14 mos. I have vowed not to spend money on anything frivolous this entire month because we just started the Dave Ramsey plan and are more determined than ever to get completely out of debt!

2. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month? I will plan ahead. When we go to playdates we will bring our own drinks/snacks/lunches. We will take advantage of free entertainment like the library, parks, indorr free play areas, pool, etc. Eveerytime I feel myself slipping I open up my financial spreadsheets and remind myself of my goals. Seeing how far we've come helps a lot.

3. Be specific! What are your goals? How many no spend days is right for you? Do you have a savings goal? Debt repayment goal? I WILL pay off our cc debt this month. ALL of it. I will not spend money on anything that is not necessary. Every single dollar for the next month is budgeted so there is no wiggle room. I'm also planning on selling some baby items to make more money to bring us closer to our debt-free goal.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#8 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Its my last month as a WOHM, so starting next month, we don't have my income as wiggle room in our budget any longer, and I need to stick to the plan! I'm also trying to squeeze some additional money out of the budget to put toward debt.

Good planning as far as grocery shopping to have meals at home and lunches to send with DH. I also will take advantage of free things like the library, neighborhood pool, children's museum membership, etc., for fun. I have also been planning ahead and getting school supplies on sale, so continue with the same. I have a very detailed spreadsheet for our budget to keep track of expenses in each category, and I will use this! .

For this month, the major goal is to stay within budget. That should leave us with a surplus of some kind to put toward debt, but I'm not sure how much exactly (my income is variable) -- definitely around $500 plus whatever I bring in.
#9 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM

I'm Nadia, sahm to 3 kids ages 5, 3.5, and 1. Dh is working at a job that he hates and going to school and we want to build up our savings so that he can have the option of finding something else while he finishes school.

*Think about each purchase. Sounds so easy, but it is also east to just toss in one more thing.
*Have specific goals for what to do with saved money (start setting aside $$ for new appliances, dd's school uniforms, etc)
*Plan shopping trips and purchases -- save time and money!

*12 no spend days (I know it seems low, but I have to start somewhere)
*$500 food budget
*$200 household budget
*$30 fun money
*Sell Cosleeper, Majamas tops, and Maternity jeans
*I would to have $200 extra in savings at the end of the month!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#10 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM

Hi! I'm Shawnele. In general, we do okay with our spending - not as good as we could, but in general we're fairly frugal people. However, a) in June & July I have been HORRIBLE about spending (older kids are visiting their dad and with just me & the toddler & newborn home, we ate out WAY too much) and b) DH's job is seasonal and until last winter we had plenty in Savings to take care of things. Last winter we had to eat into the cash stash - the last buffer between me and an out-of-the-home-job. I want to replenish that fund right now while DH's work is busy.

• a. STICK TO THE BUDGET for a change!
  • b. Track spending.
  • c. Meet with DH weekly to see how we're doing. He NEVER complains about my money management, but he is way more frugal than I, and just having to meet weekly about my spending will help me stay the course!
  • d. Post here at least weekly (daily isn't feasible for me).
  • A. I'm going to shoot for 15 no spend days. That sounds low to me, but since I've fallen into the trap of running up to the store for a soda daily, it won't be that easy.
    B. Goals:
  • 1. Replenish the cash stash so I can stay home.
  • 2. As an earlier poster said, change my perspective of and relationship with money. (When I shop I don't buy big items...I buy junk. Lots of cheapo junk things.)
  • 3. We are about to buy the home we've been living in...and that means our payment will go up considerably...so I (and the budget) need to be prepared for that.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#11 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm in.
1. I am Karen, sahm, with dh and three dd's. I am frugal to some degree but tend to purchase things "in the moment" rather than saving.

2. Goals- To keep the grocery bill under 100.00 every two weeks.
We will: use what is in our pantry first before buying more
use what is in our other cupboards (toothpaste, shampoo etc)
- To plan out purchases for any "necessary items" ahead of time and discuss an amount that is reasonable.
We will: use a master list (thank you pagan moms for my notebook) for any gifts that need to be purchased and keep to a budget

Money saved will be put towards savings.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#12 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM

I'm Ellen, WOHM to M (almost 5) and J (almost 3). I'm currently trying to change careers, moving from banking into teaching. The teaching assistant positions I'm trying to get (I have 2 interviews this week!) pay about 1/2 of what I make right now in a year, so I really need to work on cutting my expenses back even more. July is the first month I did the no spend challenge and it REALLY helped me to curb and consolidate my spending.

I'm going to focus on buying only what I absolutely need and try to cut back my grocery spending even more. I'm taking my kids to 2 music festivals this month and I'm going to try to plan really well for those so that we don't have to spend when we're there (this means making and bringing our food!) I'm going to continue trying to find things in my house to sell to make money for little things that we do need/want (although I've pretty much decluttered just about everything there is to declutter here!)

I think I aimed a little high for July as far as no spend days, so I'm going to cut that back to 16. I'm going to try to put $600 into savings like last month, and maybe even more, although I will need to get a 60K mile tune up on my car in the next few weeks. My grocery goal for August will be $250 again, and I'm hoping to stay under it--I was about $5 over in July, which is not bad at all!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#13 of 484 Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 PM

1. My name is Kim; our family includes DH, DD (12/03) + DS (9/06). I am PT SAH/PT WOH/PT WAH; DH works FT + is in nursing school.

2. Continue attacking the debt snowball.

3. Game plan:
* INCREASE income - continue to develop businesses + freelance writing
* SELL rental house - BY END OF AUGUST!
* Sell/donate unneeded items
* Work out a meal plan - really, I NEED to do this - am baffled by my inability to get this done month after month. August WILL be the magic month!
* Pack snacks + water whenever we go out
* No more late library materials! (After the late ones we currently have out...)
* ORGANIZE! Majority of overbudget/frivolous spending can be prevented with improved organization.
* Exercise: feeling good = decreased emotional spending

GOALS:
* Less than $50 in frivolous spending: month to date $0
* At least 25 days (no spend or spending w/in budget): 0/31
* Pack snacks/water for outings: 0/31
* NO library fines: month to date $0
* Stay within grocery/eating out budget: $0/$500
* ORGANIZE/declutter (lack of organization = spending): 0/25
* Exercise (feeling good = decreased emotional spending): 0/25
* Meal plan created: 0/4 weeks
* Sell rental house by 8/31...

Past Progress:
June '07: 20 days; $210.42 frivolous; $519.54 groceries; $117.55 eating out
July '07: 16 days; $325.62 frivolous; $825.40 groceries; $112.84 eating out
Aug. '07: 23 days; $144.47 frivolous; $593.09 groceries; $643.07 eating out
Sept. '07: 22 days; $128.37 frivolous; $598.19 groceries; $121.48 eating out
Oct. '07: 25 days; $139.55 frivolous; $472 groceries; $129.55 eating out
Nov. '07: 25 days; $192.50 frivolous; $608 groceries; $101 eating out
Dec. '07: 28 days; $55.20 frivolous; $503 groceries
Jan. '08: 27 days; $19.90 frivolous; $555.85 groceries/eating out
Feb. '08: 18 days; $131.80 frivolous; $668 groceries/eating out
March '08: 28 days; $19.40 frivolous; $500 groceries/eating out
April '08: 24 days; $39.16 frivolous; $768.65 groceries/eating out
May '08: 21 days; $53.41 frivolous; $920 groceries/eating out, 23 Organize/Declutter days, 26 Exercise days
June '08: 21 days; $137.20 frivolous; $621 groceries/eating out, 17 Organize/Declutter days, 23 Exercise days
July '08: 20 days; $88.44 frivolous; $892 groceries/eating out, 15 Organize/Declutter days, 20 Exercise days
#14 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 12:28 AM

I just have to say WOW! PP must make a whole lot more than we do to be saving $1000 or $2000 a month! That's more that I make in two weeks of full time work! We don't have a lot of debt, but we also don't have a lot of income, so we have to be frugal and think carefully about how we spend our money.
#15 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 02:16 AM

I think you may be referring to me talking about saving that much. My dh is a seasonal worker. He is a wildland firefighter and works when there are wildfires. He makes the majority of our annual income in the 3 or so months of summer or fire season. The other part of the year...no so much. A lot of my goals reflect our lifestyle. Believe me, come november we will be using our savings to cover our basic bills! Oh ya, I am a SAHM too.
#16 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Hey I'm Jenny and this will be my first month on the No-Spend challenge... I am thinking August is a great month to start because I've been planning ahead for the baby so that I would not NEED to go do lots of errands and whatnot this month! Also July was sort of a practice month for us with our new budget and the Dave Ramsey plan, so I am really excited to see how August goes.

This month specifically - babymoon! I already have most of our needs for the month taken care of, so... Let our families spoil us! In the future I'll have a real strategy. Basically we are really fired up about starting our debt snowball so saying no to all the extras is really easy right now!

I'm not going to set a no-spend days goal just yet, but I definitely will in future months. I am pretty sure our frivolous spending will be super-low this month in particular so I am happy to start this now. We are purposely planning NOT to get out much in August. As it is, we already average about 12 no-drive days a month, so that might be even better this month. We are really close to having our BS 1 Fund done, so my goal is just to stick to the new budget plan for variable expenses like groceries/gas and hopefully have about $400 left at the end of the month to start the debt snowball. I just started using MS Money in July also so my goal is to really refine my budgeting set-up and get it working for us.

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#17 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM

We're very fortunate DH has some OT this month & next. I don't want to squander it. We lived paycheck to paycheck for so long - 4 kids, both of us working FT on alternating schedules to make sure our kids were cared for by us. Just this past year we have really been financially more stable and after an initial period of financial shock we are trying to make our goal of owning a home a reality. Especially in this market. We are repairing our credit (already well into that process, thank goodness) and that 1K will go to that... it's not true excess, it's dedicated "excess".

And, we have that "excess" because I am ruthlessly frugal. Crazy frugal. Nutty. It's a sickness almost stemming from my childhood -TMI ahead - my Dad was paid once a quarter and my Mom could not manage money to save her life. We had an extension cord hooked up to the neighbors house for electricity and ate more oatmeal than I care to imagine. But even that was a blessing ~ I know some people don't even have that. DH was very poor growing up, too, so he is on the same page as me (frugal-wise).

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
#18 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 AM

I am totally in --- I am working on my goals for Aug. ---Will hopefully post tomorrow intro & goals...
#19 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi! I'm new here. I wanted to participate this month because 1. I am not working, my husband is solely supporting us. 2. We are okay on just his income, but it doesn't allow us to save any money at this point. 3. Based on the month of July, I seem to have serious problems not spending any money beyond my "needs." I want to get better when it comes to controlling myself.

I plan to not spend anything that is not needed, and to seriously re- evaluate the "needed" items in our house. I want to put together a menu plan for my husband and me so we eat out less and use the groceries we have. I want to be even more careful than usual about conserving electicity and water. I also want to try to sell some unneeded items on ebay or other places. I need to get this stuff out! I want to reach a place where I can only spend what I have in my Paypal balance from selling stuff I already have...that is my ideal.

My goal is to spend less on electricity, water, food, and gas this month than we did last month. I would also like to have some extra money to spend for myself in my Paypal balance, whether that be from unwanted items I sell or from things that I make and sell. We are lucky enough to have no debt, so that is not an issue--I just really want to control my spending and start saving some $-- we are TTC and I know we will need baby money!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#20 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi my name is Renee. I want to join the no-spend challenge. I will post my goals by Aug 1, but my biggest challenge is my husband. How do I get him to agree to the no-spend??? He is our biggest spending problem (but also the only one earning an income). Do we take DH spending into consideration here? or is this just personal/household spending???
#21 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Hello, I'm Renee. I am a sahm of 2 girls. I quit my job last August to be at home when I had the new baby (previously worked from home, then back at the office part time). We have acquired over $25,000 in debt over this last year. : I am not the culprit (my dh is a spender) but I want to try to overcompensate for his spending. I grew up very poor and don't want to live that way, my DH says that would never happen but um he has never been there.

I am really good about not buying things we don't need already. In addition, I plan to make a lot more of scratch foods and buy less at grocery. Yesterday I learned how to make flour tortillas (we eat a lot of these), I plan to use my garden to full potential and can tomatoes, make jellies,etc. Also utilize farms bulk sales to can veggies for winter time. Make hubbies lunches everyday. I need advice on how to get him to stop little expenses everyday. Peanuts, drinks, lunch out (he forgets I make him lunch-erg)

My goal is to spend less on electricity, water, food, and gas. I'm thinking I can commit to 20 no-spend days. We'll see what happens!
#22 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I just have to say WOW! PP must make a whole lot more than we do to be saving $1000 or $2000 a month!
Like LunaMama, my husband doesn't work 12 months out of the year. He is a teacher and we have to put a huge chunk of money into savings each month to cover us for those summer months when he is not working.

#23 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizynee View Post
Do we take DH spending into consideration here? or is this just personal/household spending???
This challenge is for you. Most of us (not all) only track our own spending.

I know that if I had to take into consideration all that my DH spent I would be in a huge big hole. However, when I agree to something (like if DH suggests a coffee break and I agree) then I count that toward my spending (since I do have the ability to say no )

Do what you think will help YOU succeed!

#24 of 484 Old 07-30-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm joining in! Hi I'm Alison, I have recently become a single mom that was left in a financial bind! I have no savings, so I am up for the challenge!

I am going to be very mindful of what I spend money on, focus on the essentials. Cook what I have available in the pantry, trim down the grocery bill. Have a plan /list when I go to the store and stick to it! Cut down on unesscessary trips to the store for 1 or 2 items, less trips to the store = less temptation & less gas used!

20 no spend days...set aside some savings each month....stick to a budget every month!
#25 of 484 Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 AM

Hello all! DH and I have agreed to no-spend for August. He does get $20 for fast food and we've agreed to be able to eat out 3 times (if we want), but other than that- no eating out, no buying stuff.

We hope to have at LEAST an extra $500 by the end of August for CC debt. He has a great new job offer, but I'll be taking a HUGE pay cut, so we need to reduce our debt and learn to cut back in life.

I don't know if I'll report in every day, but I'll drop in here and there to report. Hopefully I'll have no spending to announce!

Also, if you're into blogs, Crunchy Chicken announced a Buy Nothing in August challenge on her blog, so that's just another way to be held accountable.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#26 of 484 Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM

Hello Im here again! Im Heather, a SAHM with a 18 month old DD and one due in November. My husband is a Marine and we are currently living in Japan. We really want to get out of debt before the baby comes and that means paying off the car in the states and the two over here. We also decided recently for our combined Christmas/birthday presents for all of us (DD, the two of us and the baby) that we would take a trip to Tokyo for 14 days. This would be the first family vacation we have taken since I was 6 months pregnant with DD. It does mean we would have to save up a lot for it (its going to cost between 5000-6000 for everything including spending money/food etc).

Not spend on unnecessary items. Keep to a budget. I want to try a spending fast but I would have to get DH in on it.

20/31 No Spend Days
25/31 No Drive Days
No more than 200.00 in new baby purchases (its diapers and carseat on the list this month)
Pay 1500 on the car in the states
20/31 organization days (we move in October)
20/31 Exercise days
25/31 Pack a lunch/snacks days
31/31 No fast food (really want to keep away from fast food this month)
Make 200 on selling things we don't need/want anymore
300.00 or less on groceries/household items

Seems like a lot but it really isn't. I barely go anywhere since the vans transmission is shot and it costs more to fix it than replace it. I do really have to get stuff ready for the new baby though since all I have is some diapers, a couple of outfits, 3 carriers and a bouncy seat. Im starting my 3rd trimester next week so I really have to pick it up with the baby items.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#27 of 484 Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizynee View Post
Do we take DH spending into consideration here? or is this just personal/household spending???
Welcome!

I only report my spending here but I record hubby's purchases in a seperate spreadsheet. He's definitely not a frivolous spender but occasionally does not spend wisely. It's easier for me to get him on board when I say "Honey, you spent xx.xx on (insert your husband's vice here) last week alone, you need to reign it in" instead of just "you spend too much on (insert vice)!!!"

Good luck!!!
#28 of 484 Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 AM

Hello!

This will be my fourth month doing the no-spend challenge. I started because we have a new baby coming (due in two weeks) and I really wanted to save as much as possible. We saved more then I have planned, which is great!

I feel off the wagon a tiny bit last month and did not bring my lunch to work every day, but for the most part I spent very little out of budget. I'm a super busy working full time plus and student mom, so to be honest, I don't get a lot of time to spend.

Here's my reasons for needing this in August: I'm used to having no free time AT ALL (in other words, no time to spend, really). However, in just a few weeks I'm going to have a lot of time and I think I'm going to need this thread to make sure that I don't go get food out just because I'm bored, or go buy a pair of shoes because I have time to look at them now . . .

Lastly, even though I started saving significantly specifically to prepare for the baby, it's been so satisfying that I want to continue on with it. My ultimate goal is not to obliterate the baby savings while on leave, but to actually add to it.

Good luck to everyone!

p.s. August first will not be a no-spend day, however, because I have budgeted myself a celebration lunch because tomorrow is my last day of finals and I'm taking friday off!!!
#29 of 484 Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 AM

This will be my 1st anniversary here ::! I REALLY need to tighten up in August! I have alot to save for so I need to start NOW!!

I am a SAHM to a 4 year old dd and a 2 year old ds,
We have home renovations approaching, cc debt, student debt, and car payments, a vacation, and Christmas.. Not easy with one income so I have to keep more control of our money and where it goes! I really want to see our savings account #'s go waaay up!

My goals this month are:
Start individual savings for swim, Disneyland and a new car fund..
compact!
only 2 co-op this month!!
Start throwing in a little $ money to dh's truck payment!
Save, Save, Save!
declutter and simplify
Garage sale!

August Spending Goals:
No Spend days: 20/31
No etsy/DS/ebay: 25/31
Non-necessary Spending: <350

August Savings Goals:
Disneyland: 0/300
Swim: 0/250
Car: 0/100
#30 of 484 Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 AM

Ok, I'm back to post my plan & goals...

1. My name is Jen I am a SAHM to dd6,ds2---my husband is self employed so trying to budget has always been a little tricky for me---I've just started to use Quicken so I am becoming more aware of all the little things that really add up and want to trim the 'wants' as opposed to the needs.
2. Game Plan
a. Buy only one Iced Coffee a week ( I LOVE coffee )
b. $500/groceries
c. At least 3 no drive days per week
d. Bring snacks & H2O whereever we go
e. Make a meal plan & stick to it---eat from the freezer & pantry
3.Goals
-start savings for winter when Dh work slows a little
- we have a few smaller debts ($1500) hopefully pay off at least 1 by the
end of August.
I have decided to make Friday my day to post my weekly tallies.
Let's have a great month!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page