Saving money without letting yourself go to hell - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 08-09-2008, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
As far as saving money. There is nothing wrong with splurging on something that you know will give you a lot of wear, make you feel good about yourself, and cost a bit more money.
My DH finally got that through to me when it came to buying sneakers. I walk a lot, and up until a couple of years ago, I refused to spend more than $30 on shoes. I ended up with a lot of shoes that only lasted 2-3 months, or settled for something that weren't great for support.

DH dragged me to Kohls one night, during a sale, and told me to not look at price tags and just get what fit the best. I ended up with a $60 pair of Asics (they were on sale). That pair of sneakers lasted me 10 months, and I wore them pretty much every day.

Now I know that this certain brand is perfect for me, so I watch for sales... on sale I can get them for around $40 now.
#62 of 83 Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for the first time in my life I am thinking of my appeatrance as a necesity and not a luxury. IN the end so much cheaper and more effective than therapy. . . .

Buy a couple nice bras/lingerie. shop around though. I have never been thrilled with VS anyway. and you can get some cute stuff at Target etc.

I have my eyebrows done professionally and my hair cut at a hgh end salon 2-3 times a year and let super cuts give me a trim in between.

i wear good make up, and use a good moisturizer and face cleanser.

I also buy nice soaps and oils and my perfume.

I whiten my teeth and use good hair products.

i make sure I have some basics that look and fit right and are in style. I shop the clearance rack and work rewards to get them (i pay for everything with my gap card and get about $10 in free clothes every month)

i would rather freeze or go hungry than go back to not caring about my appearance. it has been such a boost to feel beautiful. I like to hear my daughters tell me I look beautiful and I know i am teaching them to respect themselves and how to properly groom temselves (honestly I was never taught these things.)

there are plenty of places to scrimp. But sometimes you need to splurge.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#63 of 83 Old 08-09-2008, 02:09 PM

I'm the same way, frugal but wanting to look nice and put together. For me, I'm used to shopping thrift. But in the end, what I find is, a year or two later when I'm purging, I always purge the stuff I bought at thrift stores! It seems that if it's cheaper I'll just buy it, when it's not what I would have bought if I had the $ to buy new.

So, what I've discovered for me, is in the long run it's better to have quality, timeless pieces that last, hold up in the wash (no walmart clothes-they always fall apart after 3 washes for me), and that I really like or love. I think knowing what you really like, what your preferences are will help.

For me its wirefree bras (I'm still nursing but I hate underwire). I absolutely hate to wear synthetic fabrics. The only exception is cotton/spandex blends. I need stretch in my jeans or else they are not comfortable. All clothing has to be cotton, breathable and comfortable.

And 1 or 2 quality pairs of shoes beat Payless all the time. My feet are beginning to become arthritic due to a lifetime of wearing flip flops and cheap shoes. I just shelled out some $ for Dansko sandals and I couldn't be happier. I got them in the end of season sale though for 50% off. I tossed all my crappy sandals and only wear these and am more comfortable.

Makeup and facial care I tend to spend more $ on and try to save on other things. I have sensitive skin and the cheap stuff just does not work for me.

Going quality over quantity is a new thing for me, I've always been Miss Cheapskate and bought thrift (not the most flattering colors, fabrics, fit, etc) and cheap (Walmart, payless etc.). My husband has been working on me for years about this, he def. has more quality items but less of them. I am just starting to come around, but I've noticed it does make you value what you do have.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#64 of 83 Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Perhaps this should be a s/o but...

Mamas want to give up names of timeless brands???

Sometimes I find that in certain department stores (Macy's) their brands are/can be as cheaply made as Wal Mart crap. So I have just been buying from Wal Mart:.

Oh and I guess another tip would be, shop around for a local 'salon', the fancy schmancy salon may not give as much quality as the dinky 'ol hole in the wall. IME the local hole in the wall is much more down to earth and gives a much better quality cut, mani/pedi (just got one) and massages (not sure of quality yet, but have heard tons of raves) all for about 20% of the fancy schmancy place.

Heather
#65 of 83 Old 08-10-2008, 12:41 AM

I buy my VS bra's on ebay
#66 of 83 Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 AM

For me I do believe in buying quality clothing. I have some clothing from Walmart and fashion bug that have really looked bad after one washing and this is on gentle cycle.

If I am at a thrift and find a good quality item I buy it. I found Dr. Scholl's sandals for 3 bucks and they have really lasted me.

I buy nicer make-up and a good sunblock. For me that's neutrogena.

As for hair. I get that cut maybe maybe once a year. I usually have my mom trim it. But I do put extra effort into styling it usually using hot rollers.

I pluck my own eyebrows. I try to stay fit. By eating healthy foods and exercising. I think this is a big key ....keeping fit and you will always look better in whatever clothing.

Underclothes..I buy bras from Jcpenny's underware I am not so picky about.

I do splurge (if you call it that) and every 6 months get a pedicure. I love it!!
#67 of 83 Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM

Two things I will not scrimp on ~ my YMCA membership and my haircut/color. The Y is necessary for my sanity and I swim or run there 5-6x a week, plus take cycling classes in the winter. At age 40, my hair is 80% gray (actually, probably closer to white now) and it's not a good look for me ! So while I scrimp on clothes and shoes and makeup, I will pay for my gym membership and my pretty haircolor.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#68 of 83 Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM

You ladies are brilliant.

I have gotten my act together recently as I seem to do that just before a first birthday in our house. So often do not know what to buy when I am looking for new clothes. I can find clothing I really like or clothes I will wear on a daily basis. I wear jeans and nice tees (cut to fit women). I found danskos in 1998 and have never looked back. Thanks to you ladies I am going to get a nice jacket that will dress up my look when I leave the house. I am still thinking on what (if any) makeup would make me look more pulled together and therefore feel better.

If I am ever done nursing I will take a look at some of those bras. I need flaps.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#69 of 83 Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 PM

I hear ya! I have no $$$ or time to put into myself and I'm starting to look like heck! I finally splurged on a haircut from a real salon and I don't like it. I especially want to be able to look somewhat nice since I just started working again. Sometimes I wish we just lived off the grid in the country and I could just be a mom and farmer and not have to worry about fitting into the moneydriven world world with wich I live in. :
#70 of 83 Old 08-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I wear jeans and nice tees (cut to fit women). I found danskos in 1998 and have never looked back.
I love the idea of a "uniform" that is comfortable, affordable, and looks nice for the lifestyle I live. I'm a jeans and capris and v-neck t-shirt (I'm that specific!) girl and I'm happy with that. It's harder for me (because I'm plus sized) to find dressier clothes that I like. I don't want to spend a lot because I don't need to dress up that often. I really do need to splurge on shoes though. I buy cheap shoes, except for tennis shoes. I need wide width and Payless always has wide width shoes. I need some new Asics-I've had the same pair of tennis shoes for about 4 or 5 years now! Why do so many love Danskos?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#71 of 83 Old 08-16-2008, 04:21 PM

I haven't read all the responses, so I apologize if this is redundant, but here's what I do: I know what my problem spots are, i.e. the things that, when I let them go, they make me feel bad about myself. I splurge a little on those, and I buy quality items that last a long time and really do the job well. For me, those things amount to good quality skincare products to control my acne (I feel so ugly when my face is all broken out), figure-flattering pants (because a puffy or baggy butt is never attractive), and good bras. On other things, I go with more frugal choices. So, my skincare products are bought at Sephora, but I wear drugstore makeup. My pants come from Eddie Bauer, but all my tops are from Target. My bras come from Kohl's, but my undies are also from Target. You get the picture! It works for me, and because I end up being so pleased with my splurges (esp. those Eddie Bauer pants!), I take very good care of them and they last a long time. $50 pants aren't quite such a big deal to me when I wear them 5 or more years.
#72 of 83 Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha View Post

I'd love to buy this $140 hair straightener. It sounds crazy even to me, but the last time I had my hair cut, she used it and I am not kidding - my hair looked so smooth and shiny like a models. The cheap ones just tore my hair so I threw it out and now just pull my long hair back in a pony EVERY day. Maybe that can be a Christmas present.
My stylist used one on me once and I was hooked. I wasn't going to pay nearly $200 for it though. My stylist suggested going to Sally Beauty Supply. I got a knock off of the fancy ($200) CHI ones, for like $45. I've had it for at least 2 years and it works great. I don't use it daily, but probably 4 times/ week.
#73 of 83 Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhos View Post
My stylist used one on me once and I was hooked. I wasn't going to pay nearly $200 for it though. My stylist suggested going to Sally Beauty Supply. I got a knock off of the fancy ($200) CHI ones, for like $45. I've had it for at least 2 years and it works great. I don't use it daily, but probably 4 times/ week.
What's the brand of your knock-off?
#74 of 83 Old 08-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post
I love the idea of a "uniform" that is comfortable, affordable, and looks nice for the lifestyle I live. I'm a jeans and capris and v-neck t-shirt (I'm that specific!) girl and I'm happy with that. It's harder for me (because I'm plus sized) to find dressier clothes that I like. I don't want to spend a lot because I don't need to dress up that often. I really do need to splurge on shoes though. I buy cheap shoes, except for tennis shoes. I need wide width and Payless always has wide width shoes. I need some new Asics-I've had the same pair of tennis shoes for about 4 or 5 years now! Why do so many love Danskos?
I can get a closed heel (for winter), they look nice, I can slip them on and off as needed, they are comfortable and durable. They go with jeans or slacks, t shirts or add a blazer. Very versatile. Go for it!

#75 of 83 Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM

I just went to e.l.f. to try and order a mineral starter kit. It has been years so I am struggling to decide between fair and light. I probably need the light now and fair come winter. In the meantime, I notice that shipping is $6.95. Do they ever run free shipping or any coupon codes? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything. TIA

Also, I bought a new bra and I notice that things are matching up much better to the darts on my shirts. : Nobody else may notice but it makes me feel better.

#76 of 83 Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 PM

I'm new here, but I wanted to chime in!
I splurge on shoes ( Naot clogs are my favorite!! $80 but I've had them for four years and they still look great!) And bras. Well, the bras are not really a splurge if I get them at the VS sale....they are a deal that way...LOL..
I also like to shop at TJ Maxx or Kohls for designer jeans at a discount.
My shirts and sweaters and skirts I get at Goodwill or thrift stores for usually a dollar a piece. Same goes with the kids, I buy good shoes for them and try to buy good brand clothing at discount places. Our clothes and shoes last for years and years.

OH! I also started splurging on mineral makeup. LOVE it.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#77 of 83 Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I just went to e.l.f. to try and order a mineral starter kit. It has been years so I am struggling to decide between fair and light. I probably need the light now and fair come winter. In the meantime, I notice that shipping is $6.95. Do they ever run free shipping or any coupon codes? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything. TIA

Also, I bought a new bra and I notice that things are matching up much better to the darts on my shirts. : Nobody else may notice but it makes me feel better.
Thought you might be interested in this...
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/eyeslipface.com

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#78 of 83 Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 PM

My big splurge is skin care products. I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin that requires diligent care to keep in check. On my grimiest days, when I'm covered in baby drool, when I've been peed on, when I'm wearing half my breakfast because DD learned how to reach for mama's spoon ... I can still feel somewhat put together because my face is clean and fresh. Seriously, it means that much to me.

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#79 of 83 Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
Thought you might be interested in this...
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/eyeslipface.com
thank you!!

#80 of 83 Old 08-21-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I can get a closed heel (for winter), they look nice, I can slip them on and off as needed, they are comfortable and durable. They go with jeans or slacks, t shirts or add a blazer. Very versatile. Go for it!
I bought a pair of Born clogs at Ross today for $35. I think Born is a good brand (?). The shoes are comfortable and I was so excited to get them for less than half the regular retail price!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#81 of 83 Old 08-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Don't give up on thrift. My town has lousy thrift, and yesterday I bought 1 pair of j. crew jeans, one pair of buffalo by david bitton jeans, one pair of dkny jeans and a pair of lucky jeans (I've been changing sizes so I had no jeans) all like new, and a new with tags bitten by sjp shirt. All for less than $20.00. I also found a pair of cute Born shoes at marshalls for $7.00.
Every day isn't that great, but I buy next to nothing new anymore. Another thing I do is to try on new nice clothes until I find something that makes me feel fabulous, then I go home and scour ebay for it.
#82 of 83 Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM

I can totally relate with mostly what everybody has posted here. I'm a SAHM and was falling into a rut of just wearing the sweats, kwim? I've started to want to feel better and maybe it is b/c I'm getting older. One of the things I'm doing lately is to make time to workout. It makes me feel better and when I want to go buy clothes I usually hit Kohl's or Ross. I have a Kohl's credit card that I keep b/c they will send me 15%-35% off coupons throughout the year. I recently went when I received a 35% off coupon and hit their 80%-90% off racks and scored big. For example, I got a pair of jeans for about $3 and that's was with tax. For beauty product like creams and such I go to TJ Maxx b/c they have great prices.
#83 of 83 Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 PM

I'm with you too. I second getting bras at Target. VS is overpriced, IMO. I used to buy my underthings there, but once we had kids, it became much more convenient to find things at Target since we are always there anyways. They have lots of great clothes, undergarments, bathing suits, etc for a great price and good quality.

I have given up manis/pedis. I just buy myself a $2 bottle of polish every season and do it myself. I buff my fingernails, don't even bother painting them since I'm doing dishes most of the day and the polish quickly wears off (and is toxic).

I will not give up highlighting my hair though. DH wouldn't even ask me to. It would be armageddon before I give that up- it makes me feel very pretty and feminine. Though I do go out of my way to have it done as inexpensively as possible. Highlights here in So. Cal can cost upwards of $200, and I refuse to pay that. I pay $75 and go every 8 weeks, not every 5 like many women do here.

I've also found that following a low-maintenance, boho kinda regimen not only saves $$, but gives you a "natural" look. It suits me, and my simplicity comes across when I don't buy accessories, jewelry, or wear lots of make-up. I get by with mascara and lip gloss. It's now my "style", kwim?

HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page