Can Someone Explain Aldi's to Me? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So glad I found this thread! We're getting an Aldi near my neighborhood. Good to have a heads up. I'll definitely give it a try!

Mother, Wife, Worker Bee. Mama to Clara (10/05) and Ophelia (12/09)
#32 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM

This is a great thread, an Aldi's is under construction a few miles away and I didn't know anything about it. Now I am excited. THANKS!
#33 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM

There sure are a lot of people who used to live in Germany here! We lived there for a couple of years and that's where we learned to love Aldi too. DH was a grocery snob before we went over to Germany. It took one trip to Aldi over there and he was convinced. We now shop at Aldi for all the basics.

I love their canned goods. I almost always have a full case of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and their version of Ro-Tel in the pantry. I'm also happy with their whole wheat pasta. The dairy is also great. The produce doesn't always look perfect, but it's generally better tasting than what I can get at the regular grocery store.

I love their German sale. DH works for a German company, so there are a lot of Germans over here. It's hard to get to Aldi before they buy all the good stuff. It's all gone in like 12 hours here. They used to do a Greek week over in Germany, does anyone know if they do one in the US too?

The only thing I have been disappointed with was their baked beans.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#34 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

Has anybody posted this: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/blog/?p=130 It's from Hillbilly Housewife, and is a pretty quick rundown of shopping at Aldi. I don't do much at Aldi, but this seemed helpful to those not familiar with the store.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#35 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB View Post
Has anybody posted this: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/blog/?p=130 It's from Hillbilly Housewife, and is a pretty quick rundown of shopping at Aldi. I don't do much at Aldi, but this seemed helpful to those not familiar with the store.
I love that website. Not everything works for me (try to eat vegetarian so a lot of recipes don't cut it). But yeah...great site. It was even better before the original maker sold it (no ads).
#36 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
We buy all our alcohol at Aldis. DH loves beer and wine, but we cant afford it, but they have wine called Winking Owl for 2.99 a bottle, and I can usually make an exception for that here and there. I dont like wine, but DH does and he is totally happy with it. We have also bout their knock off bottled beer and everyone seems happy with it.
Oh yeah, their $5 Riesling is fantastic.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#37 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Even back then, they provided a great wage (she earned a whopping $13/hr back then) and full health and retirement benefits.
They get min wage here (my friend works there)

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#38 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Our local Aldi starts off at $10/hour. That's pretty good considering the work they do. Heck, I'm a CNA and I only make $8.50.
#39 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Really? It must depend on the area. All the help wanted signs I've seen the starting wages are between $12 and $13.
#40 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 PM

I have recently come to love Aldi. I am currently on a diet trying to lose a few lbs but I am still able to buy a number of things at Aldi for just as good of quality at much lower prices. I have found there are a few of the packaged items I won't buy because of the ingredients (HFCS, transfats) but I am still able to save considerably on the items I do enjoy buying there. I love that they sell the Honeysuckle ground turkey. Their ground beef is good quality as well. We tried a package of steaks and they were less than desirable. It takes a little getting used to at first. Now, when I make my grocery list, I put a star beside the items I know I like to buy at Aldi and it saves me time & money. The produce at our Aldi is local which is rarely the case even at our large local grocers. I can buy a pack of 3 bell peppers (red, green & yellow) for $1.99!!! You can't even buy 1 red bell pepper for $1.99 at any of the other stores.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#41 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2008 View Post
I have recently come to love Aldi. I am currently on a diet trying to lose a few lbs but I am still able to buy a number of things at Aldi for just as good of quality at much lower prices. I have found there are a few of the packaged items I won't buy because of the ingredients (HFCS, transfats) but I am still able to save considerably on the items I do enjoy buying there. I love that they sell the Honeysuckle ground turkey. Their ground beef is good quality as well. We tried a package of steaks and they were less than desirable. It takes a little getting used to at first. Now, when I make my grocery list, I put a star beside the items I know I like to buy at Aldi and it saves me time & money. The produce at our Aldi is local which is rarely the case even at our large local grocers. I can buy a pack of 3 bell peppers (red, green & yellow) for $1.99!!! You can't even buy 1 red bell pepper for $1.99 at any of the other stores.
Ack!!! our peppers just went up to $2.49 for "stop light" peppers. They USED to be $1.99 for "red, orange, yellow"! They occasionally go on sale, and I stock up and just slice them up and freeze them.
#42 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

My husband works at a flour mill. They not only package up their own brand of flour (W-R flour), but also some for Pilsbury, Aldi's, Koger, Wal-Mart, etc. All the same flour for the most part.

Leigh

#43 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Really? It must depend on the area. All the help wanted signs I've seen the starting wages are between $12 and $13.
Yep, back in WA all the grocery store employees were union and got great wages (I'm talking like $16 an hour to be a cashier) here there is no union and it's min wage for everyone.

#44 of 56 Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_My_Babies View Post
Our local Aldi starts off at $10/hour. That's pretty good considering the work they do. Heck, I'm a CNA and I only make $8.50.
Really? I've picked up an application recently and they pay over $14/hr for regular staff and $22/hr for management. Weird. I only make $16/hr working in my field with a MA right now. Maybe it's based on the cost of living in your area?

When I worked at Meijer in Indiana during college, I was making minimum wage and working like a dog. Walmart is the same way. Aldi has always offered better pay in the states of Indiana, Illinois, or Michigan (the places I've lived).
#45 of 56 Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM

So after reading this thread I'm wondering if Aldi's is anything like WinCo prices? I haven't been to either (no Aldi's on west coast?) - but there is a WinCo fairly close to me. Anyone been to both?
#46 of 56 Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Add me to the list that loves Aldi! I save so much money shopping there. I always make a list and get everything I can there. The thing is you need to be aware of prices in other stores, as well. Sometimes it's cheaper for me to get cheese and spaghetti sauce elsewhere. We were on a tight budget this week and had some meat but needed to supplement our supply for meals this week. I ended up getting 21 items for only $31 and one of the items was almost $7.
#47 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM

in our area has a sign in the produce dept with a list of fruits and veg that are coated with petroleum for freshness..............ugh
#48 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM

I shop Aldi's but only buy produce there. I did notice that all the canned foods I looked at were full of MSG, which we avoid by necessity.

I wouldn't put it past them to use a petroleum product on the produce, but I guess it's not different than the irradiated foods at other stores-like walmart or whatever. I hate that the only way we (and I mean we as in collective "we" in the U.S.) can get decent food is to pay through the nose for it by buying 100% organic. *sigh*

banana.gif

#49 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 05:31 PM

I believe Aldi is owned by the same people as Trader Joes.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#50 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I love Aldi. I shopped there when we lived in Germany and I shop there now. I think their products are great for the price. If someone feels like Aldi is beneath them and ducking their heads to go in there, then the joke's on them.
: I miss Aldis. We moved over 2 years ago, I haven't found one in our area. I could really use one!!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#51 of 56 Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 AM

We just shopped at Aldi's for the first time and got what normally would have been $75 worth of groceries at our normal store for just over $50! Definitely making it one of our regular stops. It helps that our Aldi's is right next to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#52 of 56 Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 AM

I am growing to love Aldi's more and more. I buy what I need there and pick up the rest someplace else. I don't like their spaghetti sauce, but for a few pennies more, I can pick up a jar of the stuff I do like at Target. I love their cheese, selection and price and a jug of their soymilk is always in my fridge.

Call me a convert!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#53 of 56 Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 AM

We shopped there for the first time 2 weeks ago and went again last night. We are finally stocked up on some pantry stuff for the first time in months! I am so excited about shopping at Aldi's.
I also went and checked out their website and can't wait to start using it. Having a meal planner, recipe finder/cookbook right there and being able to make up my shopping list (telling me what is and isn't at Aldi's) will be so helpful!
Oh, and shopping there is making it possible to actually buy fresh fruit and veggies. We are eating better/healthier now than we have in a long time.

Leigh

#54 of 56 Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 AM

Aldi is a great store! We have done all the taste test comparisons......everyone knows that the private labels are actually the big name brand companies' products just under a different label. I have cut my grocery bill in half since shopping there. People are brainwashed into thinking that it has to be a "brand" name to be good.....like I said, the products do come from a name brand company, it's just under a different label. I know that for a fact because at our store the milk may have a private label on it but it comes from one of our local dairies......I've seen their trucks delivering the milk and other dairy products!

Yes, Aldi is a German company. Their stores are packed full of great items, they are neat and clean, staff is wonderful and the quality of their products is great! I get more for my money at Aldi. Why would I want to shop elsewhere and pay $1 - $2 more for some products (our local TOPS store is THAT much higher!). I am not a Walmart fan.......their prices aren't that great.

We did have a sav-a-lot but they closed......their prices, at least in our area, weren't great.....Aldi is better! I have no problem bagging my own groceries......I prefer to.....then things are just they way I want them. I can have a huge list, go to Aldi and be in and out in 1 hour.....that includes shopping, checkout and bagging. I bring my own re-usable cloth shopping bags.......everyone should be using cloth bags......

People need to get past this "brand name" issue and stop trying to impress people by shopping at the high priced stores. I don't need to impress anyone......I want to save money!

#55 of 56 Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 AM

We got one about 6 months ago and I LOVE IT!  An average trip to the grocery store (even Walmart) was costing me about $150 whereas at Aldi it is $100

Like others have said, I like that you rent your chart, don't get bags, and don't pay with credit.  It might sound weird but I like that the store is small and there isn't much variety. If I need chickpeas - there is one kind in once section, one kind of tortillas, etc. I get in and out of the store so much more quickly than a regular grocery store.  Funny to learn that it is German owned because I told dh that if had a nice European feel.

#56 of 56 Old 12-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I absolutely love Aldi's.  I buy all our staples there like spices, flour, sugar, chocolate chips. milk, eggs, etc.  I do get produce when it's good and I've actually found grass-fed beef there and lots of organic salad mixes and such.  And they are all great prices.  Aldi is our typical grocery store for shopping and then when we need something that isn't there(coconut oil, etc) we go to the local large supermarket down the street.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page