how often do you go to the grocery store? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We only go every three weeks because we live an hour from the grocery store. We do have a vegetable delivery from a local farm that we pick up every week to supplement that. Produce is tough. The last week pickins are pretty slim. We usually save the apples for then and sometimes dip into the freezer and make fruit smoothies. Occasionally we will go to the local market and buy some fresh fruit, but the extra cost is worth it compared to driving 2-hours round trip. We buy lots of dry goods in bulk and large chunks of cheeses. We buy milk with a variety of expiration dates and hope for the best
#32 of 35 Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM

I do a big shopping trip every other week that involves 2-4 stores depending on what we need to stock up on. The second week I generally need to run to the store once for milk, yogurt, fresh fruit and veggies.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#33 of 35 Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM

I hit the farmer's market every Saturday morning year-round. There I can get grass-fed meat, local seafood, eggs, local nuts, bread, coffee, local rice, fresh juice, cultured butter and local cheese, and almost all of my produce. Then I pop into Trader Joes for whatever is missing (goat's milk, baby carrots, dried fruit, beer, etc.).

I hit Whole Foods or a local grocery maybe once or twice a month, since I can only find organic tortillas and cultured dairy there. The big grocery I hit every few months, when my DH runs out of his soda. I hit the HFS with the bulk section a couple times a year.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#34 of 35 Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Usually weekly. Sometimes, we'll take a walk to our nearest grocery store in the middle of the week, but that is more of an "adventure" than an extra shopping trip.

We go weekly because the amount of groceries I can get in the time the kids are behaving corresponds to about a week's worth.
#35 of 35 Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
nak

we were going about twice during a 3 week period. that was to rhe grocery store with the same number of trips to costco. now since i'm going with 3 little ones, i'm finding i would rather make smaller more frequent trips, that way we can make it through without anyone (including me ) having a meltdown. it's best for our bank account if we don't go to costco more than twice a month.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page