what do you set the heat on at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out how much I should turn the heat down at night (OK, it's not quite cool enough to have the heat on yet, but it's getting close). We used to have it set around 70 during the day and 68 at night, but we had more money then. My parents used to turn their heat off at night, and it would get down to around 50 or 55 sometimes, which is way too cold no matter how many blankets you put on. So I'm trying to find a happy medium...I do have a non-co-sleeping toddler who doesn't stay covered up, and will have a co-sleeping newborn around Thanksgiving. I plan on having wool jammies/sleepsacks for both kids so I'm hoping they'll stay warm enough without blankets.
#2 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 PM

63 - we like it cool at night.

We have a co-sleeping toddler who also doesn't like to stay covered up. He sleeps between us, and when it's cooler, I put him in warm feeted pajamas.

Me:
#3 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 PM

We usually have the heat around 63/64 during the day and I crank it down to 55ish at night. DH and I both like a cold room to sleep in and DD doesn't seem to mind either.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM

59(15C) at night, then we have it set to go up to 68(20) about 20-30minutes before we get up so the house isn't as cold. Then an hour later it goes down to 64(18) & it stays there until 3pm before the kids & dh come home & it goes to 66(19) or 68(20) until 10pm when I have it back down to 65(18) & then at midnight or 1am it goes down to 59(15C).

in the milder winter the temp is kept higher becuase it will often not kick in for a few hours & the house stays cold longer, but in the colder winter it kicks in more often so I can have it set cooler. In the coldest temps it kicks in every 20 minutes.
#5 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM

We have it programmed to stop the heat at 10:00pm, then it goes down to 58 at the lowest during the night. At 7:00am, it kicks on and goes to 69/70 where it holds steady all day. That way it's warm by the time we get out of bed (7:30). We have a fancy touch-screen thermostat and it took us a week to figure it out, LOL.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#6 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

As low as it will go. Unfortunately, we live on the second floor and our 1st floor neighbors seem to be perpetually freezing. Also unfortunate, due to the set up, we are not able to turn our heat OFF, only down to 62F. So, we wind up opening our windows when we have guests over, due to the extreme heat.
#7 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM

We leave it at 59F day and night.
#8 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 PM

I set it at 60 at night, DH is likely to change it to 55-58. My suggestion for little ones is to take an old wool sweater, cut off the arms and make a sleeping vest. This keeps the body core pretty warm when worn over nice wool or cotton long johns. Also a cotton knit cap and wool socks will help for those who kick off their covers.
#9 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Low. Very low. I think around 49F. We wear layers and very warm jammies, wear socks to bed, have lots of blankets (down comforters!), and until this winter we coslept most nights.

We have four people in our bedroom, and I think that helps warm the air up a bit.

In winter we keep our house at 55-60F during the day. It is very cold. But oil is expensive. And we manage okay.

Not that you should necessarily do the same. But it works for us.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#10 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At night we keep the heat in the house off. During the day it is set at 64 degrees. It would not matter if we were rolling in money we would never heat our house at night.

Heidi
#11 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
we keep ours set around 66 during the day and 62 at night.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#12 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM

59/60

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 85 Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM

I set the thermostat for 55 at night, and it's not too cold at all. It's much cheaper to buy an extra blanket to put over your bed than to pay to heat the whole house at night.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#14 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM

how low you can go at night will depend on where you live. There's no way we could not heat the house at night in the middle of winter. When it's -40 out the temp drops fast inside.
#15 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 AM

We keep ours set to 70, always. I hate being cold.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#16 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 AM

My heat rarely goes above 55 even during the day :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#17 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 AM

Wow, aren't you all freezing? The temp. goes under 68 degrees (when I'm awake) and I'm doing this: :

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#18 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
At night we keep the heat in the house off. During the day it is set at 64 degrees. It would not matter if we were rolling in money we would never heat our house at night.
This is exactly how we do it too. When we have company we will riase the temp to maybe 66. Sometimes we will even turn it lower like 62.

I think it also depends on how cold the winters are. In Iowa it gets really really cold. so it always feels like it is freezing in the house. We all just bundle up. I love my fleece swaetshirts!
#19 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Wow, aren't you all freezing? The temp. goes under 68 degrees (when I'm awake) and I'm doing this: :
Yes, honestly, sometimes I am. Sometimes during the day- I work 4 nights a week- I have to turn it up because I am so cold.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#20 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 01:12 AM

We turned it down to 60-63 last year at night, but with a bitty baby this winter I don't know what we'll do. I like it cold to sleep though so if we do turn it up higher for the baby I'll probably sleep pretty bad. During the day it's usually around 65 and we just chill in the basement all day b/c it gets hot down there with the heat on 65.

obstruct livery vehicles

#21 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 AM

The past 2 years we had it at 69 during the day and 65 at night. This year now that the kids are bigger and the night nursing is down to a minimum we will do 67 during the day and 63 at night.

We use sleep sacks from Germany that keep DD so nice and warm. DS finally has learned to keep covers up on him.
#22 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 AM

First of all, we don't turn on the heat unless it's necessary (and it won't be until around Christmas time, usually). Our space heater doesn't have a thermostat, but I'm guessing somewhere around 50 or so. We do have it on at night because we don't want to sleep in the cold, but it's off most of the time during the day (we can wear layer, when dd was younger we wear her all day)
We live in MA, in a big apt. building, and I know for sure we have the lowest winter electric bill (I do admit I get some of my neighbor's heat, but gotta do what I gotta do to keep the bill low, right?) We're usually only pay $20 more a month for electricity (it's a small one bedroom apt. and the heater is electric)
#23 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
We keep ours set to 70, always. I hate being cold.
:
#24 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I turn off the heater at night. That way, I wake up easier. : even in the winter...
#25 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 AM

Last year I turned the heat down to 50ish at night. Low enough where it probably wouldn't kick on. DD and I slept on top of a heating blanket and it kept us toasty. I also had a space heater on low in the bedroom if I remember correctly. We have an air mattress on the floor--a few feet above the freezing ground in an old drafy house. The mattress held all that cold floor air and I'd just : That's when we started sleeping on top of the heating blanket.

During the day I kept the heat around 60ish. Some days were colder than others and I'd bump it up to 70 to get the house warm and turn it down. I have radiator heat so it stays warm for quite a bit.
#26 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 AM

We turn it all the way down, which means that it kicks in automatically when the house temp is around 50 and then heat up to 55. In the evening, when everyone is home, I'll sometimes kick it up to the low 60s if it feels really cold in the house.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#27 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Actually, turning the heat way down or off at night costs you more money, because it takes more energy to warm the house back up after it has cooled off. The best thing to do is keep the heat down as low as you can tolerate all the time. We keep our heat at 62 degrees all winter, day and night. We just wear a lot of heavy sweaters and sleep with down and wool blankets.

Here are some good tips for reducing heating bills: http://financialplan.about.com/od/sa...atingCosts.htm
#28 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
how low you can go at night will depend on where you live. There's no way we could not heat the house at night in the middle of winter. When it's -40 out the temp drops fast inside.
Same here.
#29 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
At the beginning of the winter, yes, we're cold but our bodies gets used to it and by the time Dec and Jan roll around, we feel fine and start complaining that it's too hot everywhere we go.

Around here, if you're going to be stepping out of the house, you need long underwear anyway so we just wear some inside too. At the beginning of the winter, we sometimes wear hats or scarves indoors and will bundle up under blankets if we're just sitting somewhere. And I love a hot water bottle!
#30 of 85 Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 AM

We burn wood, but kept the oil thermostat at 60 for day and night last winter since we had a little one. It hardly ever went on, and most really cold nights I pulled the little guy in with us. This year I think we'll keep it lower than that. We have trouble sleeping in the winter if it gets warmer than 65. Personally, I love to mound up blankets and sleep under the heavy weight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page