Ways to make extra money - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone want to share ideas for making extra money? I'm thinking of ideas that wouldn't involve too much disruption from your average SAHM lifestyle.

Here are mine:

selling extra things on ebay/craigslist
crafting and selling on etsy
making tutorials and selling on etsy or ebay
tutoring a bit on the side
online tutoring
making banners/web ads for small companies
write an ebook?
cafepress
small home business in general

others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've found two local stores that are willing to sell a few of my crafty things.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 AM

Someday when I'm (Lord willing) a SAHM, I plan to teach music lessons.

I have known others to teach lessons on things like painting and knitting.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#4 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 AM

I've done many things currently and in the past to stay home.

Watch children in my house
Babysitting in someone elses (usually nights)
Selling on ebay (daipers, slings, legos)
cleaning houses (on the weekends when my dh is home to watch the kids)
Teaching in the afternoon (this didn't work out so well but i went back to work from 3 or 4-6 while dh watched kids)
Yard sales
SAVE MONEY (don't spend, line dry, cook from scratch)

I've thought about waitressing on the weekend but haven't ever done it, my babe still nurses to sleep and that would be too hard on her.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#5 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Try chacha.com

It's a website that people can send text messages to, and then they hire people to answer the text messages. My husband just signed up to become a "guide" and it took about a week for them to approve his application. Then he had to do some tests last night. Now I think he's ready to receive and answer texts.
#6 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Here is a link to a blog about raising some extra cash:

http://frugalwench.blogspot.com/2008...-fast-for.html
#7 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM

donate plasma
have a yard sale
#8 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
Here is a link to a blog about raising some extra cash:

http://frugalwench.blogspot.com/2008...-fast-for.html
That woman actually advocates selling your pets to make extra cash. :
#9 of 31 Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post

Well, yes, that was a bit out there, but the other suggestions weren't so bad! And, you know, I know some people who have pets that they cannot afford to keep (really just can't do it and the pets are not in such good shape because of it). It is probably not so unusual for a family to be massively in debt and part of that debt be one of those "designer" doggies.

Off topic: What is with designer, pure-bred dogs anyway? I see them all over the place. I always figured most people just head to the shelter to get a nice mutt like we always do. I have to figure that those breeds must cost a pretty penny.
#10 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 AM

Yes, we dont have any pets anymore, but I would not have been able to stay home if we did have them. We have no extra ever and their dogfood and flea and tick care alone would put us under.

I like to be crafty, but nothing I do is something I could actually make money doing. I am running out of things to sell on craigs list, so keep these ideas coming!
#11 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 AM

I think sending a pet to a home where someone can afford it when you cannot is the humane thing to do.

If we didn't have to find new homes for our cats because of the rental market around here, we would feel it financially. The cost of keeping two cats in food (we loved them and bought the premium stuff) and litter for a month isn't something to scoff at, when every dollar counts.
#12 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 AM

Do someone's laundry or errands
Get a part time job that you can bring kids to ( YMCA)
Write short stories and submit them to magazines
Have a bake sale/ yard sale
Offer to give someone a ride evry week for gas money if you know you are going the same direction.

These are just ideas, ways to make a few extra dollars.
Long term, I have picked #1 and #2 for extra cash each week.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#13 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 AM

I actually started doing online survey's this summer. I don't make a lot.. maybe $30 a month? (I work full time, so it's just for shopping $). But it's not hard and some of them are kinda fun!
#14 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalishea View Post
I actually started doing online survey's this summer. I don't make a lot.. maybe $30 a month? (I work full time, so it's just for shopping $). But it's not hard and some of them are kinda fun!
What site(s) do you use?

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#15 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I think sending a pet to a home where someone can afford it when you cannot is the humane thing to do.
Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree (well, I do, but that's not the point). The author didn't say you should rehome your pets, she said you should sell them.
#16 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Babysitting/nannying. I'm nannying 2.5 days a week, taking DD with me. But, you could also do it in your home, or do after-school care in your school district/pre-school if you have kids in school. (the other .5 day, I run errands/grocery shopping/etc. for the same woman before I pick her DD up from nursery school). Even if you didn't want to do it constantly, you could advertise as available for "school breaks/weather closings", which is when a lot of parents are in a bind.

Also, speaking of pets, depending on where you live - dog walking/pet care. For people who go on vacation. Around here, I'm not kidding, you'd make more walking a dog twice a day or feeding a cat/watering plants than you would caring for a child in your home all day. I'm not sure what that says about society, but, you might be able to pick up some cash that way.

I've done minor alterations to military uniforms before (sewing on rank, hems, etc). If you're good at that sort of thing, you may want to check with any local military bases to see if there's a need (the bigger ones will have their own seamstresses, but smaller ones and guard/reserves may not). It would only take a few minutes to read up on the regs for each unit.
#17 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec28 View Post
Try chacha.com

It's a website that people can send text messages to, and then they hire people to answer the text messages. My husband just signed up to become a "guide" and it took about a week for them to approve his application. Then he had to do some tests last night. Now I think he's ready to receive and answer texts.
At the risk of being rude, may I ask what it pays?
#18 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM

This is what I have been thinking.

Making breads and baked goods to sell at our farmer's market, there are very few healthy ready to eat items there. Recently 2 Mennonite women started selling homemade bread for $5.50 a loaf, and they have some pies and such. I've been thinking breakfast cookies, and cinnamon rolls or something.

Also I have been pondering making candy, I make some darn good candy and people have asked me to sell it before(our HFS, because I gave them a tin one year). I make the bomb coconut macaroons, and so many other things.

My SIL started doing dog sitting and now is so busy her DH has quit his job and they've made it a full time business.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#19 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 PM

If any families have a decent digital camer (digital SLR) and/or illustration skills and software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, etc.

There's money to be made in selling stock photography and illustration.

~Julia
#20 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
In some cases, it's not a bad idea. I know a couple who went into debt and had to make payments to buy their DOG!

And if you can't afford to feed your cat and your kid... well... ones gotta go, and I'd hope it wouldn't be the kid!

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#21 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah, see, I don't think that's funny. Though pets and children aren't exactly equal in my mind, they are in the same category. Suggesting you sell your pet puts it in the same category as non living property, and it makes me want to hurl, frankly.
#22 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
At the risk of being rude, may I ask what it pays?
Not being rude at all...the only reason I didn't include it in my first post was because I didn't remember

It pays 10 cents per text to start with, and then after you do so many texts, you can became a "top guide" and go up to 20 cents a text.

I have another friend who has been doing it for a while, and because he is in front of the computer all day, he's earning a couple hundred dollars every week, or every other week (I don't remember).
#23 of 31 Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
This is what I have been thinking.

Making breads and baked goods to sell at our farmer's market, there are very few healthy ready to eat items there. Recently 2 Mennonite women started selling homemade bread for $5.50 a loaf, and they have some pies and such. I've been thinking breakfast cookies, and cinnamon rolls or something.

Also I have been pondering making candy, I make some darn good candy and people have asked me to sell it before(our HFS, because I gave them a tin one year). I make the bomb coconut macaroons, and so many other things.

My SIL started doing dog sitting and now is so busy her DH has quit his job and they've made it a full time business.
What about the health department? Don't you have to have licenses to sell items you baked in your home? I've thought about it, but never pursued it because I just assumed you'd need some sort of health department lic/cert.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#24 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, see, I don't think that's funny. Though pets and children aren't exactly equal in my mind, they are in the same category. Suggesting you sell your pet puts it in the same category as non living property, and it makes me want to hurl, frankly.
pets are big business. both for the pet stores and for the people that sell all their medicines and for the vets and... well I don't believe in owning living creatures at all, but let's not get all bent out of shape about selling a dog, since if they can get money for it, they probably spent money for it, and therefore have no problem with selling animals for money

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#25 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM

Softball umpire Dh does it, but no reason a SAHM couldn't either. If you have slightly older kids, they could play at the ball fields. Younger would require a sitter or an available dh. I often pack up the kids and a few snacks and we go watch. We talk between innings, and there are always a ton of kid for mine to play with. Dh makes $25-35 a game, depending on the age of the girls, how long the game is, and which association. During the busy season, he can make as much as $300 a week, sometimes more.
#26 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 AM

I used to do mystery shopping but there isn't any in our area and the areas where it is are almost a half tank of gas round-trip. But if I lived in a major/medium metro area, I'd do it again. Same with merchandising.

I've saved a ton from watching/shopping sale ads, and while it wasn't 'earned' in the traditional sense it is extra money we wouldn't have had if I'd not gotten a bit more savvy shopping wise.
#27 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just paid a women 30 bucks to do some alterations to a blouse-- she was working from home.

My mom also buys roti's some times from a lady who makes them in our neighborhood. She makes them while watching her grandkids and making food for her own lunch.

We also 'cater' from her sometimes. Not the whole menu for a party, but some of her sweets are to die for so we supplement.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#28 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 PM

I was thinking of making meals for people in my home, for them to come and pickup. I'm not sure exactly how I would go about doing this, or if I would even be allowd to do it without a license. I'm home all day and I love to cook. It wouldn't be a big deal for me to make a couple lasagnas or soemthing!
#29 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeppers View Post
pets are big business. both for the pet stores and for the people that sell all their medicines and for the vets and... well I don't believe in owning living creatures at all, but let's not get all bent out of shape about selling a dog, since if they can get money for it, they probably spent money for it, and therefore have no problem with selling animals for money
That's ridiculous. People spend money when they adopt kids, too, but nobody suggests selling them when times get rough.
#30 of 31 Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM

~sub~

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego

User Tag List