Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
The thing about that is while the landlord is the one responsible for paying the taxes on the home, the renter is the one who actually pays it. He makes the money back in the rent he (or she) charges the tenants. So really, it's not a fair argument.
That actually depends on where you live. If the area has flat appreciation (like here), then yes. In areas (like Seattle) where appreciation is high, rents do not begin to cover the mortgage on a similar priced places, let alone property taxes. (My last house rent was 1/2 the cost of the mortgage.) So YMMV on the who pays property taxes.
#92 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
I just wouldn't pay it, they can't make you.
Um they will actually. They will call your kid to the office and inquire of them why your mom/dad has not paid.
They will put you into collections actually.
They will put your kid off the school bus if you don't pay the bus fee, and they will flunk your kid in PE if they don't dress out in the gym uniform.

I think it's ridiculous that we have to buy that crummy outfit that doesn't fit anyone right. Why can't they just bring shorts and a tee shirt or sweatpants and a tee shirt?

I don't understand how the school where we used to live all we had to provide was a backpack and a folder and this district we have to pay about $300 a kid and that's just "Book rental" and basic fees. Like a planner, a school ID (Which they are required to have on them at all times) etc.

Just about any elective they take has a fee added to it. You must have a certain amount of electives to graduate high school. Middle school you can choose classes with no fees but they suck and you wouldn't want to be in them.

What is ridiculous is we qualify for free lunch but our state requires you to be on medicaid to get your fees waived. My husband works for an ins. co so we don't burden the taxpayers by being on Medicaid though by income we would qualify. 2 principals waived the fees and said yeah that makes sense because you can write a letter explaining your financial hardship and have everything but the bussing and electives waived.

One principal has not got back to me.

But yeah they can actually embarrass and make your education pretty hard if you happen to be from a family that can't afford $900 in a single month for back to school fees.

Luckily, this year knowing what it costs I was able to talk to the principals and work out some of the fees to be paid at the start of 2nd semester, a payment plan with the bus co. and to rent dd a used dress for choir.

Our district also has a sales tax so everyone does pay something. We have high sales tax and are even taxed on food. So they are collecting way more in property tax, sales tax, and fees than our old district ever did in another state but perhaps they are spending way more per student and it shows in their outcomes this district is one of the best in the country and the other was in one of the lower ten states.

I would gladly pay it if it was reasonable. I just think it's kind of out of hand. We aren't really renting textbooks we are buying new ones for the school annually. Do I mind that? No, I just mind calling it rent. They charge us "Workbook" fees too and I have never ever seen a workbook. So why am I paying $25 a kid per year for those?

The prices are way inflated. $25 for a tee shirt and shorts? And they are soooo cheap and flimsy. And they are stolen often because of their policy that you get 3 non-dresses and you flunk PE. So you have to buy them more than once a year.

I think some of the things are unnecessary. Some are required and shouldn't be like the planner. Each child could get their own and as long as they have a system for writing down their assignments why do we have to buy a $10.00 one from the school? My child requires one with larger blanks to write in due to a disability. So he never uses it. But I still have to buy it. Some of it is stuff we pay for and never use.

If they lose their student ID it's $5.00 and they can't get lunch until you buy a new one.

There is also a "Student activity fee." Then they charge you for admission to the games when your child gets there and they are effectively charging you if your child never goes too?
#93 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Ive just read this entire thread and It astonishes me to realize how drastically my thinking has changed in just a few short years.

A few years ago I would definatley have been in the "we should all pay" camp, homeschool/private school or no kids at all not withstanding because its all for the public good.

But, if you think we should all fund it or if you think homeschoolers or kids in private schools should get a share of the funds, etc. the underlying assumption is the same....that government funded and run shools are a good thing, that they help our community at large, that they do good things for the kids that they do serve. And I no longer beleive that is true. I believe that the large majority of kids are much, much better off at home and that rather than funding these child prisons we call schools, we could, for much LESS money per child, fund parents who wish to to stay at home and raise and teach thier kids themselves. And yes, I even think kids whose parents would do nother whatesoever towards teaching them anything would likely STILL be better off than they are in public schools.

The system is too far gone to be repaired imo, we need to do away with them entirely and start from scratch. Go back to one room classrooms,charter schools, montesori and yes, homeschooling. I dont see public schools as a waste of my tax money, I see it as something much worse, because my tax dollars are funding bullying, sexual harrassement, drugs, teen pregnancies, etc. and basically the warehousing of children. All they are being taught is how to knuckle under and survive as a cog in the system. EVery individual child and society as a whole would be much better served if every childs individual talents and interests were nurtured, encouraged and supported. I know, one teacher with thirty students and the administration against him or her cant do this. And thats my point.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#94 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
we could, for much LESS money per child, fund parents who wish to to stay at home and raise and teach thier kids themselves. And yes, I even think kids whose parents would do nother whatesoever towards teaching them anything would likely STILL be better off than they are in public schools.
Schools spend about $10,000 a year on average, per student. I'm not really sure how $10,000 will cover lost wages for parents who have to quit jobs and stay home to homeschool their kids, plus any costs associated with homeschooling (books, field trips, extracurriculars, curriculum, etc.).

And the public schools as prisons thing mad me laugh. Loudly.
#95 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The system is too far gone to be repaired imo, we need to do away with them entirely and start from scratch. Go back to one room classrooms,charter schools, montesori and yes, homeschooling. I dont see public schools as a waste of my tax money, I see it as something much worse, because my tax dollars are funding bullying, sexual harrassement, drugs, teen pregnancies, etc. and basically the warehousing of children. All they are being taught is how to knuckle under and survive as a cog in the system. EVery individual child and society as a whole would be much better served if every childs individual talents and interests were nurtured, encouraged and supported. I know, one teacher with thirty students and the administration against him or her cant do this. And thats my point.
Wow, do you really and truly believe this? That makes me really sad. DH and I are both public school teachers in Los Angeles (the nation's 2nd largest school system) and this kind of attitude really shocks me. Believe me, I have my eyes wide open about the school system's shortcomings, but OTOH, I think we do serve the majority of kids who come through our doors quite well, and I think that parents have a right and responsibility to supplement their children's basic educations in any manner they see fit. School is a starting point; it's a parent's job to nurture a child's individual talents and interests.

As for fees -- i.e. the OP's original point -- I agree that these are usually disclosed prior to enrollemt, but if you ask the principal or AP nicely and explain your circumstances, they can often be waived. If that doesn't work, ask the teacher or even the PTSA. Our school has almost never turned down a request like this.
#96 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Did you really just say that kids whose parents teach them nothing whatsoever would be better off at home??? Does that count kids of crack-head or alcoholic mamas and daddies? Maybe those kids can just hang out in the streets , unsupervised and illiterate. Guess they'll have great prospects of being productive adults. At least if kids from unfortunate homes go to school, they'll get fed and have half a chance.
#97 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
I think it's ridiculous that we have to buy that crummy outfit that doesn't fit anyone right. Why can't they just bring shorts and a tee shirt or sweatpants and a tee shirt?

If they lose their student ID it's $5.00 and they can't get lunch until you buy a new one.

(I cut some things out of the quote since it was long and I'm only commenting on a few things. Bolding is also mine.) About the gym outfits, they do that because not everyone will just bring in a t shirt and shorts. Some girls will wear itty bitty tanks or sports bras and short shorts. and some guys will wear things so threadbare and holy that it's indecent. I 100% agree with gym uniforms.

As for the student id's, yeah, that was like it at my high school. Those cards cost money to replace. Not a lot, but still. Even library's charge a replacement fee. Besides, this makes the kids think twice about taking care of their cards. By middle school, they should be able to be responsible enough not to lose it.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#98 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
Wow, do you really and truly believe this? That makes me really sad. DH and I are both public school teachers in Los Angeles (the nation's 2nd largest school system) and this kind of attitude really shocks me. Believe me, I have my eyes wide open about the school system's shortcomings, but OTOH, I think we do serve the majority of kids who come through our doors quite well, and I think that parents have a right and responsibility to supplement their children's basic educations in any manner they see fit. School is a starting point; it's a parent's job to nurture a child's individual talents and interests.
:
#99 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The system is too far gone to be repaired imo, we need to do away with them entirely and start from scratch. Go back to one room classrooms,charter schools, montesori and yes, homeschooling. I dont see public schools as a waste of my tax money, I see it as something much worse, because my tax dollars are funding bullying, sexual harrassement, drugs, teen pregnancies, etc. and basically the warehousing of children. All they are being taught is how to knuckle under and survive as a cog in the system. EVery individual child and society as a whole would be much better served if every childs individual talents and interests were nurtured, encouraged and supported.
: I totally agree with this. I attended a wide variety of schools during my schooling, and the public elementary and middle schools I attended scarred me for life.
I know this is an unpopular opinion, and that some kids have a great experience w/ public school, but so many do not. The system is broken.
#100 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post
It is a magnet school which means their parents need to choose for them to attend. So if they don't choose, off on the bus they go. That is what I don't understand- they could be getting a good education nearer to home, but if the parents can't be bothered it isn't going to happen. Involved parents are the key.
Some magnet schools are very hard to get into. The parents may be trying. It's often not just a matter of "choosing".
#101 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM

I'm sure it's different where I live (in BC, Canada) but here the parents don't have to pay for anything at all. All field-trips, extra fees, supplies, lunches, t-shirts etc. have fees attached which we are not obligated to pay if we can't afford it. We don't have to explain or anything. Parents who can, do and those who can't don't.

I find my kids' public school to be fantastic. It's an 'inner city' school too so they have some great supports in place.
#102 of 113 Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post
I'm sure it's different where I live (in BC, Canada) but here the parents don't have to pay for anything at all. All field-trips, extra fees, supplies, lunches, t-shirts etc. have fees attached which we are not obligated to pay if we can't afford it. We don't have to explain or anything. Parents who can, do and those who can't don't.

I find my kids' public school to be fantastic. It's an 'inner city' school too so they have some great supports in place.
That's because an activist who was a school board trustee sued the school board and the BC Supreme Court ruled that school fees were unconstitutional.

4 kids under 10
#103 of 113 Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post

Which doesn't even begin to take into account that the better schools will raise their prices to accomodate the influx of voucher funding, so a school that used to charge $5000 can now charge $15000 because of the $10000 school voucher -- a neat way to control enrollment, since price alone wouldn't do it anymore.
ITA. I meant to articulate that. Private schools would raise their rates to be roughly equal to the voucher+ their old tuition.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#104 of 113 Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
That's because an activist who was a school board trustee sued the school board and the BC Supreme Court ruled that school fees were unconstitutional.
Very cool! I didn't know the history of that. I'll have to read up for sure.
#105 of 113 Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
Um they will actually. They will call your kid to the office and inquire of them why your mom/dad has not paid.
They will put you into collections actually.
They will put your kid off the school bus if you don't pay the bus fee, and they will flunk your kid in PE if they don't dress out in the gym uniform.

Most middle and high schools that I know of will either offer loaner PE clothes to kids who have lost or don't have their own set, or the teachers will make an exception so the student can wear something the proper color.

My oldest son is allowed to wear non-regulation PE clothes in inclement weather due to a skin condition... getting overheated is not a good thing, so he has the option of not wearing the stupid double layer shirt.

At my high school, we were allowed to wear PE clothes not purchased from the school, as long as it was a white t-shirt (either school logo or plain) and royal blue shorts or sweats.

In CA, book fees are highly unusual. Occasionally they offer optional supplemental texts for sale, but nothing mandatory.
#106 of 113 Old 09-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The system is too far gone to be repaired imo, we need to do away with them entirely and start from scratch. Go back to one room classrooms,charter schools, montesori and yes, homeschooling. I dont see public schools as a waste of my tax money, I see it as something much worse, because my tax dollars are funding bullying, sexual harrassement, drugs, teen pregnancies, etc. and basically the warehousing of children. All they are being taught is how to knuckle under and survive as a cog in the system. EVery individual child and society as a whole would be much better served if every childs individual talents and interests were nurtured, encouraged and supported.
That's a gross exageration. What may be the experience of some is definitely not the experience of all or even the majority.
I have children in k, 1st, 6th and 8th and do not at all feel as if all they are being taught is to knuckle under and survive. Up until this yr they've all been in regular public school. They have not only thrived but flourished. It is the job of us as parents to make up for whatever they may be lacking.

Quote:
Some magnet schools are very hard to get into. The parents may be trying. It's often not just a matter of "choosing".
Exactly, my daughter was on a charter school waiting list for 4 yrs before she got accepted and at that point we said nevermind.
My 1st grader actually just got accepted into a charter school today after being in school for 5 or so weeks and he's been on the list since the end of last year.

eta: and as to the original point of this post, I agree, some of the school fees can be crazy. However, I would feel like a royal heel if I had to deny my kids something that they wanted to participate in.

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#107 of 113 Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn
Did you really just say that kids whose parents teach them nothing whatsoever would be better off at home??? Does that count kids of crack-head or alcoholic mamas and daddies? Maybe those kids can just hang out in the streets , unsupervised and illiterate. Guess they'll have great prospects of being productive adults. At least if kids from unfortunate homes go to school, they'll get fed and have half a chance.
Thank you! As a child whose mother was NEVER home, my worn-down public school, in an unsavory part of town (to say the least), was all I had. Free breakfast and hot lunch were my best meals of the day (sometimes my only meals), the library was my sanctuary and the playground was where I used my muscles and imagination. My school friends taught me social skills and my teachers were serogate parents, nurturing my mind, teaching me right from wrong and guiding me through life.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#108 of 113 Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post

As for fees -- i.e. the OP's original point -- I agree that these are usually disclosed prior to enrollemt, but if you ask the principal or AP nicely and explain your circumstances, they can often be waived. If that doesn't work, ask the teacher or even the PTSA. Our school has almost never turned down a request like this.

Yep,I do. And nurturing a childs individual talents and interests IS educating them,not supplementing and I agree that it is the parents job. Not the governments. I know its not a popular opinion.

To whoever said its only 10,000 per child per year in public school, i guess not or parents wouldnt be footing the bill for all kinds of 'extra' stuff that is required for a basic education yet the schools cant afford. ANd I know tons of sahm's who would be thrilled with 10,000 to continue to stay at home. They are doing it now for nothing.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#109 of 113 Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 PM

oops

#110 of 113 Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM

ooops

#111 of 113 Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yep,I do. And nurturing a childs individual talents and interests IS educating them,not supplementing and I agree that it is the parents job. Not the governments. I know its not a popular opinion.

To whoever said its only 10,000 per child per year in public school, i guess not or parents wouldnt be footing the bill for all kinds of 'extra' stuff that is required for a basic education yet the schools cant afford. ANd I know tons of sahm's who would be thrilled with 10,000 to continue to stay at home. They are doing it now for nothing.

Ah, well, then I suppose it's both a semantic issue as well as a political issue. While I don't agree that SAHM's should get $10,000 a year from the government, I do think that homeschooling parents should be eligible for reimbursement from the government; that would make a lot of sense.
#112 of 113 Old 09-21-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm sure this will be unpopular, but I DO think that the public school system which is supposed to be free on the attendance side (vs funding side) should be exactly that - free. For outside courses that have no tangible benefit to the school, I can see charging a fee. That would exclude football and band and debate, for through excellent performance it often brings sponsorship.

We pay property taxes towards the cost of the public school. The city residents have voted repeatedly to significantly increase the amount going to the schools, and our system is pretty expansive because of it (a pilot program preschool and pre-k care in every elementary school for example). On top of that, the school district is one of a few that receives a significant endowment from one of the top universities each year in exchange for some of the programs they have agreed to implement. This endowment is not earmarked for those programs and may be used district wide. Our district just purchased 6-7 schools for over 12 million dollars. Do not think there is no money in our district. (Having family directly involved in the district only confirms this.)

Our DS started kindergarten this year. We had the school supplies for his grade. The school supplies for his specific class. The school supplies for art. We have the monthly box of cereal for mid-morning snacks (required all parents bring one box per month for the community chest in the class). We have the monthly pm snacks for 24 children (don't forget things like spoons, napkins, plates if needed, etc.). Notice there is nothing "extra-curricular" in there. We had the first fundraiser start 3 days into the school year. The day after it ended, fundraiser #2 began - complete with pressure on the children to participate. Then of course there are the PTA dues. We just finished the 6th week of school!

We absolutely have no issue with providing our children with whatever they need to thrive in school, that's not the point. And honestly it's been what we'd generally consider a nominal amount. We don't mind providing what we need to, I just would like to know why, in light of their funding, we need to. I'd also like to know where the heck all that money is going that they're so stinking broke! And like the OP mentioned, it would be nice to know in advance what the fees are going to be and when they'll be expected. I would love to see their budget and know where the money is really going!

K.
#113 of 113 Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
I'm sure this will be unpopular, but I DO think that the public school system which is supposed to be free on the attendance side (vs funding side) should be exactly that - free. For outside courses that have no tangible benefit to the school, I can see charging a fee. That would exclude football and band and debate, for through excellent performance it often brings sponsorship.

We pay property taxes towards the cost of the public school. The city residents have voted repeatedly to significantly increase the amount going to the schools, and our system is pretty expansive because of it (a pilot program preschool and pre-k care in every elementary school for example). On top of that, the school district is one of a few that receives a significant endowment from one of the top universities each year in exchange for some of the programs they have agreed to implement. This endowment is not earmarked for those programs and may be used district wide. Our district just purchased 6-7 schools for over 12 million dollars. Do not think there is no money in our district. (Having family directly involved in the district only confirms this.)

Our DS started kindergarten this year. We had the school supplies for his grade. The school supplies for his specific class. The school supplies for art. We have the monthly box of cereal for mid-morning snacks (required all parents bring one box per month for the community chest in the class). We have the monthly pm snacks for 24 children (don't forget things like spoons, napkins, plates if needed, etc.). Notice there is nothing "extra-curricular" in there. We had the first fundraiser start 3 days into the school year. The day after it ended, fundraiser #2 began - complete with pressure on the children to participate. Then of course there are the PTA dues. We just finished the 6th week of school!

We absolutely have no issue with providing our children with whatever they need to thrive in school, that's not the point. And honestly it's been what we'd generally consider a nominal amount. We don't mind providing what we need to, I just would like to know why, in light of their funding, we need to. I'd also like to know where the heck all that money is going that they're so stinking broke! And like the OP mentioned, it would be nice to know in advance what the fees are going to be and when they'll be expected. I would love to see their budget and know where the money is really going!

K.
I saw you were in Missouri, where I live and work in a public school system. Herehttp://dese.mo.gov/directory/ is a link to all MO public schools. Find your school and click on it, you will see a link called District Planning Profile, click on it and it takes you to another page with several links to look at. It's not particularly user friendly but it can answer some questions.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page